2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
38 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,155 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2029050 02/08/13 12:04 AM
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Been reading PW again recently. The more things change... laugh Seems plenty of the usual suspects are still around. Have lost track of MarkC's post count by now.

Anyway, I'm super busy at school these days. I'm a computer science major (can't remember if I have stated this before), and am considering a double math/CS major.

Piano is kinda sorta on the back burner; I'm playing violin now. I signed up for a no credit group strings course this semester and I'm having a blast. Great relief from all the math. I've been dabbling with the viola as well. Playing with other people is something that I'm weak on, but I'm picking it up quickly. We have a good group of students who can (mostly) play in tune. One student who is just starting did manage to break her violin's bridge while tuning. eek Displaced the soundpost as well...

And during my piano break, I'm doing composition with my regular music teacher. Working on orchestrating a short modal piece I wrote for solo piano.

I started violin last summer, and I've been surprised at how quickly I've been able to pick it up after hearing all the horror stories of 1-2 years before even sounding somewhat presentable. laugh

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Well I figured somebody ought to do an actual reply instead of just looking. grin

Interesting to see what you've been up to. You're sure doing a lot with music for someone who isn't even necessarily majoring in it! Playing with other people is a great thing on many levels: making our music social, improving our musicianship -- including especially our sense of rhythm and just the ability to listen. And learning other instruments expands us further. I played violin too, and it gave me a whole extra perspective on music.

I'd love it for others also to give us similar updates now and then....

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Horowitzian
Have lost track of MarkC's post count by now.

Mark has actually been slacking lately. It's going to be summer before we learn if something comes after "yikes!"

I started violin last summer, and I've been surprised at how quickly I've been able to pick it up after hearing all the horror stories of 1-2 years before even sounding somewhat presentable. laugh

I can relate to the horror story. I attempted violin for a year in high school. sqeek

8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Well I figured somebody ought to do an actual reply instead of just looking. grin

Interesting to see what you've been up to. You're sure doing a lot with music for someone who isn't even necessarily majoring in it! Playing with other people is a great thing on many levels: making our music social, improving our musicianship -- including especially our sense of rhythm and just the ability to listen. And learning other instruments expands us further. I played violin too, and it gave me a whole extra perspective on music.

I'd love it for others also to give us similar updates now and then....

Why thanks, Mark. smile Seeing as PW was the first forum I ever joined, I feel somewhat attached I suppose.

I really enjoy music. I'm not foolish enough to think that I have the chops to make my living doing it, but I have fun. And that's what counts. A perk of the school I go to is that while we are a small science and engineering school music is important to a lot of people here, and there are facilities to realize that. Recital hall, practice rooms, etc. Also free chamber music concerts twice a semester by a superb string quartet. smile

Originally Posted by Damon
Have lost track of MarkC's post count by now.

Mark has actually been slacking lately. It's going to be summer before we learn if something comes after "yikes!"

I can relate to the horror story. I attempted violin for a year in high school. sqeek

Ahh, I'm sure he'll make it.

Assuming you never touched a violin again? laugh

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Always nice to hear updates from the regular posters. A while back I was browsing the early days of the forum and found it was a lot more personal than it is now. Perhaps with the larger audience we have now people tend to stick more to the subject of the forum?

I was talking to my violinist today, and told him that I had quit my job as a software engineer to pursue music. He thought I was crazy for doing so even though I was unhappy in my other job. I was unable to make him understand my desire for wealth in happiness instead of wealth in money. That said, if my pursuit of music doesn't get me enough money, at least I have something to fall back on temporarily!

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
That's nice. I do enjoy CS and mathematics very much, so I don't mind working in those kinds of fields. Props to you for taking the dive and doing music full time though!

The forum was more personable back in the day. There were fewer trolls (though trolls certainly existed!!!) and a larger number of highly knowledgeable people posting...some of whom either haven't been around in ages or got banned.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission