2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,596 guests, and 222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 180 of 540 1 2 178 179 180 181 182 539 540
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Thanks for the laughs this morning...loved the image of the mandolin as beet slicer. The image of Ragdoll's finger however made me wince. Ouch! Heal quickly.

It's not quite 5AM and I have the house to myself (my husband leaves early for work and the dogs wanted to go outside). It's MY place (neighbors acres away) and I can enjoy the sound of the piano. Every day I appreciate that I have this freedom and I also appreciate that many of you have digitals to approximate this free space. ACCOMPLISHMENT?? This week I learned another page of my Mozart Viennese Sonatina. Now if I can relax and let it have the speed (allegro) and delight that it should have. I'm wanting to learn this piece and a couple of others to take with me to Summerkeys in July. After the awful experience with the Master class a couple of years ago I understand that I should KNOW the piece.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Ragdoll - it really sounds painful. Take care. Keep your finger high.

Wisebuff - it's 5:50 here now. I have to start working in 10 min. I work from home a lot sine I have lots of phone calls with UK. Wish I could practice:)

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
FarmGirl, your list of pieces is VERY impressive. My bow to you for the level you've accomplished. Would love to play the Brahms Intermezzo 118. I DO love early morning...

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
A
A
I managed to get half an hour practise in before work this morning. It does feel good smile The only problem is that I then feel like continuing practise, rather than brave the cold and travel to the office. So I guess the achievement is hauling myself to work on time despite having sweet music to play!

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
The image of Ragdoll's finger however made me wince. Ouch! Heal quickly.

YOU winced? I nearly wet myself. I think the pain and stitch is due to it getting into my cuticle on the right side of my thumb. Thanks to all who offered good wishes Cas, FarmGirl, SwissMs er'm allayall grin

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
EdwardianPiano - I love the Largo!!!! I have only played simplfied versions, but I just love it! I do hope you'll let us hear you playing it!

LOL...I am really bad at the Largo unless it's the super easy one in Alfred's which is 4 bars long! This one I'm now working on is in Really Easy Piano Classical, Wise Publications but they are grade 3 so not easy to me!

I have only managed 3 1/2 bars on it so far. Just been practising Piano for about 40 mins. But maybe one day I'll play it properly and record it..though not sure how I'd record it unless my friend's phone will. Mine does vids, but as it's a £3.75 phone it only loads them to the phone! ha

The Largo was used for many years in Britain in Hovis bread adverts so it always reminds me of that- they'd show cobbled streets in Lancashire, so for years I always assumed this was a British melody LOL!

I am also working on Lavender's Blue and Cockles and Mussels from Alfred's- they are just to keep my hand in til lesson tomorrow. There are pieces in between to be learnt! I did Kum Ba Yah straight off BHT- that one is easy.

As for my ESL qualification, I did the DELTA from Cambridge. It was a slog, but also tremendous fun. Work has been in extremely short supply since Dec 2010 for me but I'm just about running at full capacity now. It is extremely satisfying, and especially splendid that ALL my contacts now have come to me via word of mouth from satisfied clients in the past. (did you guess... yes, I'm really chuffed again!)

That's good news! Do you teach all levels of English? I have taught beginners- advanced in the past.

I had a good lesson today, my teacher was pleased with my jazz, offered some suggestions for jazzing it up even more, and said the next week should just be getting comfy with the adjustments I've made to getting the dynamics down pat. He also seemed pleased with my work on Melody, and I seem to have corrected my hand positions for my scales, so I think I'll be starting to add to my scale repertoire now too.

Sounds like you are having fun with the jazz. I've not even attempted that!

Last edited by EdwardianPiano; 01/24/13 03:24 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Allard
Is that the Largo from the ninth symphony? Such a beautiful piece. I didn't know there was a piano arrangement. Can't wait to hear you play it, EdwardianPiano.

It is Dvorak's Largo from New World Symphony. You are too kind Allard- if you heard me you'd put your hands over your ears- as it is plonk plonk, wrong notes, plonk wrong note value, etc etc! I'm not even grade 1 and this is a grade 3 book, but keeping at it. If I get good at it one day I might do a recording....

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ragdoll
Aaaacck! I made a flesh and blood sacrifice of my R thumb slicing beets on a mandolin Saturday. Guess a couple days (weeks?) of L hand practice are in my future. I had a rather bad lesson Tues because of this. I will work on sight reading and theory in the meantime. eek cursing

Yikes! Raw beetroot then? They can be hard to slice. I'm making beetroot and apple soup on Saturday but going be lazy and get vacuum packed beetroot!
There must have been a lot of red ( beetroot included...) on your chopping board- poor you!
Have to say I do love beetroot- eat it a lot.

Last edited by EdwardianPiano; 01/24/13 03:36 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by torquenale
This week I have two achievements: the first, I managed to play a bit every evening in a week much busier than usual; nice to have also a digital piano. Still, I miss my upright but I live in a flat and I can't play it late.
Second achievement: after several months my modified-by-the teacher Czerny study is at least decent, so I hope that in the next lesson (skipped this week and scheduled for Monday) the teacher will appreciate it!

Have you got an upright and a digital or did you just keep the digital? I know what you mean about playing late- I don't play late as my upright 1910s Piano can be loud! Good playing with the Czerny!

Last edited by EdwardianPiano; 01/24/13 03:39 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Allard
I managed to get half an hour practise in before work this morning. It does feel good smile The only problem is that I then feel like continuing practise, rather than brave the cold and travel to the office. So I guess the achievement is hauling myself to work on time despite having sweet music to play!

Have you had snow Allard? I can't say I feel like playing in the morning- I'm too busy rushing about to get to work ( well on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays..the rest I snooze in bed....)

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
It's not quite 5AM and I have the house to myself (my husband leaves early for work and the dogs wanted to go outside). It's MY place (neighbors acres away) and I can enjoy the sound of the piano. Every day I appreciate that I have this freedom and I also appreciate that many of you have digitals to approximate this free space. ACCOMPLISHMENT?? This week I learned another page of my Mozart Viennese Sonatina. Now if I can relax and let it have the speed (allegro) and delight that it should have. I'm wanting to learn this piece and a couple of others to take with me to Summerkeys in July. After the awful experience with the Master class a couple of years ago I understand that I should KNOW the piece.

How nice not to have to worry about disturbing the neighbours! Well done with the Mozart!

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by WiseBuff
FarmGirl, your list of pieces is VERY impressive. My bow to you for the level you've accomplished. Would love to play the Brahms Intermezzo 118. I DO love early morning...

As many people may say, It's not the pieces you play but how you play it. I'm not talented at all but have been playing the piano for a long time (7 years as a child, 3 years at my 1st come back and now 4 years since I came back to piano again). That's why my pieces are in the advanced categories. Due to years i put on, i have techniques to play well. But I think you need certain amount of talent and effort to play it well. I don't have lots of time either. So I actually stopped playing big pieces, Beethoven sonata for example. I'm trying to play smaller pieces I like Op 118 #2. This is a very approachable piece for many but not an easy piece to play well. I will submit it to the online recital but don't expect too much. Mine is like an experiment of a person with no talent.

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
EdwardianPiano - I don't know Lavender's Blue, I'll have to look it up!
As for the levels I teach - I've taught everything from absolute beginners up to Proficiency level, but most of my students are pre-intermediate or intermediate.
My youngest ever (a current student) is 8, my oldest was 73 (he's still alive, just not my student!)

FarmGirl - it is interesting to have you sum up your experience in one post - I knew you had played before -as a child - but I hadn't realized you'd done a bit of stop and re-start as an adult too.
All in all you have obviously been able to lay a foundation on which you can start doing some serious bulding.
Please don't start saying you have no talent! How many of us have "talent"? What we do have in great supply is dedication, passion and determination!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by casinitaly
Please don't start saying you have no talent! How many of us have "talent"? What we do have in great supply is dedication, passion and determination!

I too have never considered myself talented... others tell me I'm talented, but I'm not exactly sure what that means, though I do take it as a complement. smile

We are all gifted/talented in our own special way. I like what you said about dedication, passion and determination! Very true! smile

All the best!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

It's on page 52 of Alfred's book 1.

As for the levels I teach - I've taught everything from absolute beginners up to Proficiency level, but most of my students are pre-intermediate or intermediate.
My youngest ever (a current student) is 8, my oldest was 73 (he's still alive, just not my student!)

Funny my youngest were 8 and oldest 70- something as well!

Last edited by EdwardianPiano; 01/24/13 06:12 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
ps to Rickster- agreed, we all have our gifts. Nice post!

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EdwardianPiano

It's on page 52 of Alfred's book 1.

Um... .:) Not all of us have Alfred's book smile

I googled it. Very pretty!

[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rickster
Originally Posted by casinitaly

I too have never considered myself talented... others tell me I'm talented, but I'm not exactly sure what that means, though I do take it as a complement. smile

We are all gifted/talented in our own special way. I like what you said about dedication, passion and determination! Very true! smile

All the best!

Rick

Thanks Ricky! ---Nice to have you join us here!!!!

[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EdwardianPiano

Have you got an upright and a digital or did you just keep the digital? I know what you mean about playing late- I don't play late as my upright 1910s Piano can be loud!

EdwardianPiano, fortunately I have both! But during the day I work, in the late afternoon, when we are at home, my children practice on the upright and I have a lot to do, so usually I can play in the evening (no TV for me) .
I reserve for me one hour on the upright on Friday afternoon before dinner, when the children are playing football.
I'm happy with the digital, but my upright is... so better!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rickster

I completely agree. I'm not musically talented (not even able to sing!), but I'm stubborn. And I consider myself lucky because I love the travel, today I practiced a couple of trills in my Scarlatti piece for half an hour, and I enjoyed it, even if I have still a lot of work to do on them.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Page 180 of 540 1 2 178 179 180 181 182 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission