Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2029050 - 02/07/13 11:04 PM Hello again, old friend
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Been reading PW again recently. The more things change... laugh Seems plenty of the usual suspects are still around. Have lost track of MarkC's post count by now.

Anyway, I'm super busy at school these days. I'm a computer science major (can't remember if I have stated this before), and am considering a double math/CS major.

Piano is kinda sorta on the back burner; I'm playing violin now. I signed up for a no credit group strings course this semester and I'm having a blast. Great relief from all the math. I've been dabbling with the viola as well. Playing with other people is something that I'm weak on, but I'm picking it up quickly. We have a good group of students who can (mostly) play in tune. One student who is just starting did manage to break her violin's bridge while tuning. eek Displaced the soundpost as well...

And during my piano break, I'm doing composition with my regular music teacher. Working on orchestrating a short modal piece I wrote for solo piano.

I started violin last summer, and I've been surprised at how quickly I've been able to pick it up after hearing all the horror stories of 1-2 years before even sounding somewhat presentable. laugh

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2030819 - 02/10/13 09:58 PM Re: Hello again, old friend [Re: Horowitzian]
Mark_C Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Well I figured somebody ought to do an actual reply instead of just looking. grin

Interesting to see what you've been up to. You're sure doing a lot with music for someone who isn't even necessarily majoring in it! Playing with other people is a great thing on many levels: making our music social, improving our musicianship -- including especially our sense of rhythm and just the ability to listen. And learning other instruments expands us further. I played violin too, and it gave me a whole extra perspective on music.

I'd love it for others also to give us similar updates now and then....

#2030835 - 02/10/13 11:09 PM Re: Hello again, old friend [Re: Horowitzian]
Damon Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Originally Posted By: Horowitzian
Have lost track of MarkC's post count by now.

Mark has actually been slacking lately. It's going to be summer before we learn if something comes after "yikes!"

I started violin last summer, and I've been surprised at how quickly I've been able to pick it up after hearing all the horror stories of 1-2 years before even sounding somewhat presentable. laugh

I can relate to the horror story. I attempted violin for a year in high school. sqeek

#2030871 - 02/11/13 12:29 AM Re: Hello again, old friend [Re: Damon]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark_C
Well I figured somebody ought to do an actual reply instead of just looking. grin

Interesting to see what you've been up to. You're sure doing a lot with music for someone who isn't even necessarily majoring in it! Playing with other people is a great thing on many levels: making our music social, improving our musicianship -- including especially our sense of rhythm and just the ability to listen. And learning other instruments expands us further. I played violin too, and it gave me a whole extra perspective on music.

I'd love it for others also to give us similar updates now and then....

Why thanks, Mark. smile Seeing as PW was the first forum I ever joined, I feel somewhat attached I suppose.

I really enjoy music. I'm not foolish enough to think that I have the chops to make my living doing it, but I have fun. And that's what counts. A perk of the school I go to is that while we are a small science and engineering school music is important to a lot of people here, and there are facilities to realize that. Recital hall, practice rooms, etc. Also free chamber music concerts twice a semester by a superb string quartet. smile

Originally Posted By: Damon
Have lost track of MarkC's post count by now.

Mark has actually been slacking lately. It's going to be summer before we learn if something comes after "yikes!"

I can relate to the horror story. I attempted violin for a year in high school. sqeek

Ahh, I'm sure he'll make it.

Assuming you never touched a violin again? laugh

#2031019 - 02/11/13 09:32 AM Re: Hello again, old friend [Re: Horowitzian]
Arghhh Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Always nice to hear updates from the regular posters. A while back I was browsing the early days of the forum and found it was a lot more personal than it is now. Perhaps with the larger audience we have now people tend to stick more to the subject of the forum?

I was talking to my violinist today, and told him that I had quit my job as a software engineer to pursue music. He thought I was crazy for doing so even though I was unhappy in my other job. I was unable to make him understand my desire for wealth in happiness instead of wealth in money. That said, if my pursuit of music doesn't get me enough money, at least I have something to fall back on temporarily!

#2031187 - 02/11/13 02:26 PM Re: Hello again, old friend [Re: Horowitzian]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

That's nice. I do enjoy CS and mathematics very much, so I don't mind working in those kinds of fields. Props to you for taking the dive and doing music full time though!

The forum was more personable back in the day. There were fewer trolls (though trolls certainly existed!!!) and a larger number of highly knowledgeable people posting...some of whom either haven't been around in ages or got banned.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
139 registered (A Guy, ABC Vermonter, accordeur, Alux, AmateurBob, 39 invisible), 1543 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74307 Members
42 Forums
153690 Topics
2252929 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
HELP! Is this strain because of my technique?
by T.M.E.
04/23/14 11:26 PM
Is it my technique that's causing this?
by T.M.E.
04/23/14 10:49 PM
Best brand of upright piano 48" or larger?
by WG40
04/23/14 10:22 PM
Kawai MP11 vs. Kawai VPC-1 Action / Key Length
by jp2011
04/23/14 10:00 PM
Canadian pricing for Kawai MP11?
by GWILLY
04/23/14 09:52 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission