Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1704780 - 06/30/11 07:39 AM Re: Kawai MP10, Yamaha CLP 470, or something else? [Re: Kawai James]
bennevis Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
Ithilien, congrats on the purchase of your MP10!

Females do occasionally post on the digital piano forum, however I agree that compared to the acoustic piano forum, it's a rather different demographic - I wonder why this is?

Cheers,
James
x

Collector's mentality is a male thing, viz train-spotting, twitching, stamp collecting even. As is the obsession with facts & figures and 'I've got something you don't'.....

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#1704788 - 06/30/11 08:20 AM Re: Kawai MP10, Yamaha CLP 470, or something else? [Re: bennevis]
mucci Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Munich, Germany
This is in the end something that has to do with electronics / gadgets / software / hardware... That's a boys thing, more than "just" an ordinary acoustic piano or grand... bah wink

#1705041 - 06/30/11 03:54 PM Re: Kawai MP10, Yamaha CLP 470, or something else? [Re: mucci]
Heleen Offline

Loc: London
Just an update: got a phone call from the store today that the MP10 has arrived! and I only ordered it Tuesday evening... they said that Kawai was closed already so would order it first thing on Wednesday morning, and it arrived today (Thursday). That's pretty good me thinks.

It's getting delivered tomorrow and I'll be home from work all day so can't wait to play it!

#1921220 - 06/30/12 07:44 PM Re: Kawai MP10, Yamaha CLP 470, or something else? [Re: Heleen]
rychubil Offline

Loc: Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Hello, I'm new one on forum.
I'm going to buy this same Kawai MP10, especially for exercising and playing classical music.
I tried Roland RD700NX but it seems to me, that Kawai has a better hammer action, closer to real piano. Sound is more clearly than Roland. No artefacts in Kawai.
I played also on Nord piano 2 but keyboard action was too light. Nord's sound is matter to discuss.
I'm curious your opinions.
Cheers

#1921223 - 06/30/12 07:54 PM Re: Kawai MP10, Yamaha CLP 470, or something else? [Re: Heleen]
toddy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
Hello,
Many would agree with you saying you can't do better than an MP10 for keyboard action, and as a high quality stage piano.

Many others prefer the Roland (SN)sound, and some the Roland PHAIII action. But they are undoubtedly two fine pianos - probably the best of their kind, along with Yamaha CP5, and that group of models.

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#1921227 - 06/30/12 08:12 PM Re: Kawai MP10, Yamaha CLP 470, or something else? [Re: Heleen]
rychubil Offline

I think, that Kawai MP10 is a good keyboard to connect with Ivory II in the future.
This is my plan.

#1921273 - 06/30/12 11:30 PM Re: Kawai MP10, Yamaha CLP 470, or something else? [Re: Heleen]
motifmm6 Offline

Many forummers are using Kawai DPs and views in this forum tend to gravitate towards Kawai being better.

However, there are many other views in the internet on how yamaha CLPs are better than Kawai.

But end of the day, it is still a matter of personal preference.

#1922025 - 07/03/12 12:28 AM Re: Kawai MP10, Yamaha CLP 470, or something else? [Re: Heleen]
WippenJackSpring Offline

Loc: Idaho, U.S.A.
Hello.

I do love acoustics, however, I too was wanting to get as close to a great acoustic as I could find - without the cost and size and weight and maintenance of an acoustic.

Likewise, I had also narrowed it down to either the Kawai MP-10 stage digital piano or the Yamaha CLP 470 spinet console.

I went with the MP-10 based on its features, and reviews as well as it portability over the CLP 470.

I bought a good sturdy stand (Yamaha LG-800). Along with being very sturdy it allows me to set the height of the top of the keys to that of a grand. It also adjusts for standing position.

In order to try to get the great digital samples out of it I then bought a used Harman Kardon AVR347 7.1 audio video receiver and one pair of used (now vintage) Polk Audio A6 bookshelf speakers. I then added a new pair of Sony SS-F7000 floor-standing 4 way passive speakers (great reproduction at a low price). Although I am sure it is not the same as a grand, the sound is quite good or great, IMO. [Thanks to others on this site who suggested that I go the HiFi route instead of some active studio monitors] As it is, I can always add more passive speakers if needed because the Harman Kardon AVR347 allows for either 5 channel stereo or 7 channel stereo.

The tactile feel of the keys is great as well as the dynamic funtion & feel of the keys.

I do love the digital samples.

The only things that I can say that I don't like about the MP-10 is that the pedals are noisy, and I wish the pedal module stucture was even heavier so that they would not move around at all. That, and the fact that one LED light is dim.

Other than the above, I am quite pleased with the Kawai MP-10.

smile

Edited by WippenJackSpring (07/03/12 08:25 AM)

#1922052 - 07/03/12 03:20 AM Re: Kawai MP10, Yamaha CLP 470, or something else? [Re: Heleen]
Erixon Offline

Loc: Sweden
I bought a MP10 awhile ago and like it very much. Mine has one dim led too.
I run it through nearfield monitors and it sounds great.
After playing the MP10 for a while I had the opportunity to compare it to my friends Kawai baby grand. I have not played that one for awhile.
The grands action felt a bit lighter, but what made the biggest impression was the volume of the thing with the lid fully opened... There is no way i could have that volume in my apartment.

#1922145 - 07/03/12 09:47 AM Re: Kawai MP10, Yamaha CLP 470, or something else? [Re: WippenJackSpring]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: WippenJackSpring
The only things that I can say that I don't like about the MP-10 is that the pedals are noisy

You mean it squeaks as you play? I had this problem and just hit it with a little bicycle lubricant (because it's what I had on hand). It hasn't made noise since. Mine is very quiet now, much quieter than a typical acoustic pedal (though acoustics are so loud you might never notice the sounds).

#1924169 - 07/08/12 11:07 AM Re: Kawai MP10, Yamaha CLP 470, or something else? [Re: Heleen]
rychubil Offline

One more thing.
I've played few times on MP10. Decay especially on forte is very static and unrealistic. Sound doesn't decay almost at all. It sound a little bit, like a electric guitar (sorry for compare).
Is it possibile to change it, on settings of instrument?

#1924183 - 07/08/12 11:31 AM Re: Kawai MP10, Yamaha CLP 470, or something else? [Re: Heleen]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I'm sure you can. On the MP8 (its predecessor) you can adjust four length parameters associated with the various parts of the sound: attack, decay, etc.

By the way, almost all digital pianos have decays that are shorter than that of an acoustic piano. That includes the MP8 (I expanded the length of the decay significantly to get back to realistic). Do what you think is best, of course, but I would be very careful before trying to shorten a decay on a digital piano. If your goal is to mimic the behavior of an acoustic, I think you are probably going the wrong way.

Alternately, buy a very cheap piano. The cheaper, the shorter the decay. Look to casios for very short decay/sustain.

Edited by gvfarns (07/08/12 11:32 AM)

#1924278 - 07/08/12 04:34 PM Re: Kawai MP10, Yamaha CLP 470, or something else? [Re: Heleen]
rychubil Offline

Thanks very much.
I'll try to set it next time, when I'll go to music store but I needn't shorter decay. I want to have normal, naturally decay. That setting of decay, was too much constantly, like it couldn't dissapeared.

#1924347 - 07/08/12 07:46 PM Re: Kawai MP10, Yamaha CLP 470, or something else? [Re: Heleen]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Here's a link to the manual so you can figure out how to do it before you go down there.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...JsRQzIQZ1TU2BFA

Edited by gvfarns (07/08/12 07:47 PM)

#1967956 - 10/02/12 09:16 PM Re: Kawai MP10, Yamaha CLP 470, or something else? [Re: Heleen]
rychubil Offline

Hello Everybody!
One week ago, I already bought nord piano 2.
I uploaded Grand Imperial XL and Grand Lady D LRG to my NP2.
I'm in love to these sounds! Absolutely amazing!

#2030930 - 02/11/13 04:06 AM Re: Kawai MP10, Yamaha CLP 470, or something else? [Re: Heleen]
maxuswoof Offline

Hi! I've just bought a brand new Kawai MP10. I am using it as a quiet alternative to my acoustic Yamaha U3 as I have a wife and young kids who don't always appreciate loud practice :-) I've had it two days and am very impressed with the feel of the keyboard, I think it is like a grand piano, at least like the Yamaha C3 that I once owned. With regards to the sound, the 'acoustic' grand pianos are absolutely fantastic. I had quite low expectations on the sound as I only really wanted a keyboard with a good feel, however with the MP10 you get excellent feel and sound. Also, the 'ivory touch' keys are a nice finish reducing finger-slippage.

I do however have one, minor complaint, which is that I've noticed two of the button back-lighting LEDs are dimmer than the others (they are the SUB ON/OFF and Metronome LEDs). Obviously this doesn't affect the tone/feel of the keyboard, but it is difficult to see from a seated position that the SUB is ON/OFF (although you can certainly use you ears to work that one out!). Perhaps they are supposed to be slightly different colours? Different spec LEDs, or even just powered slightly different from the others. Erixon/WippenJackSpring (or anybody else whose keyboard has dim LEDs), just curious, on your keyboards which LEDs are dim?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Which are the best forums for piano technicians and DIYers?
by Withindale
4 minutes 20 seconds ago
Prelude
by noobpianist90
Today at 01:55 AM
Red Striped Screws and Fancy Nuts
by chernobieff
Yesterday at 11:57 PM
Communication outside of lessons
by Arghhh
Yesterday at 10:23 PM
What is this piece?
by JoelW
Yesterday at 09:54 PM
Who's Online
80 registered (accordeur, Al LaPorte, Adypiano, 36251, 22 invisible), 1086 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76645 Members
42 Forums
158486 Topics
2327432 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission