2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 11 invisible), 2,007 guests, and 345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Play It Offline OP
OP Offline

I like loading a MIDI file in my DP Yamaha P140 and play along with it.
Sometimes the volume of the MIDI file is too aloud and overcomes my playing on the DP. On the P140 there is only a slider to change the overall volume both of the internal song played and of the notes directly played on the keyboard itself.

My questions are:

1) How can I change on a PC the volume of the midi file so that I can load on the DP a midi file with a lower volume ?
With which programs ? Is it possible with Band-in-a-Box or with Finale and how ?

2)Can that be done directly on a DP ? Which ones ? Can it be done on Kaway ES7 ? It would suffice a DP with 2 volume controls : one for the internal song and one for the keyboard itself

Thanks very much for your answers

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello Play It,

I believe it should be possible to reduce the volume of a MIDI file using the software you mention, however I'm afraid I do not have an direct experience of the process required.

However, I expect it would be more convenient to simply adjust the playback volume on the DP itself. An instrument such as the ES7 allows this (please refer to page 57 of the owner's manual), and I expect other competing models such as the Roland FP-7F would too.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
To reduce it in software, open up the piano roll, select all the notes in the song (usually a 'CTRL A' or Apple Key + 'A' for Mac) and reduce the velocity of these notes (either by dragging a slider or entering a negative number). MIDI notes have a velocity (loudness) level represented by a number between 0 and 127. Many MIDI files are recorded at the upper end of that spectrum. Try reducing every note in the song by 10-20 'points' and see where that gets you. Repeat as necessary until you reach a satisfactory level. You'll also find during this process that the song starts to sound more realistic. A lot of MIDI hacks /programmers have all their notes at the same level. This is what makes these songs sound robotic. Cheers!

RB

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
- as suggested, you could do a blanket reduction on all velocities although if there's a relationship between timbre and velocity in the patch this could corrupt the sound too.

How easy this is to do will depend on what software your using but you've also got the option of a MIDI volume control which is channel-specific (status byte is Bn where n is channel number, then 07 then the volume value). If you can separate your midi file playback (accompaniment) channel from your live performance channel this should work well.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission