Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2030533 - 02/10/13 01:55 PM Re: 'If you can remember a tune, it's probably by Mozart....' [Re: JoelW]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: JoelW

Also, I'd bet you view Bach to be the greatest composer of all time? Many people fight over who holds that position. (Mozart, Bach or Beethoven)

I once heard someone in an interview say which composer he'd listen to if stranded on a desert island:
If he thought God was watching, he'd listen to Bach.
If God was occupied elsewhere, he'd listen to Mozart. wink

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2030550 - 02/10/13 02:26 PM Re: 'If you can remember a tune, it's probably by Mozart....' [Re: JoelW]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
....I'd bet you view Bach to be the greatest composer of all time?....

Yes, easy.

Others are mega great too, but to me he's an easy #1. Not my #1 "favorite" (that's Chopin) but greatest.

In case anyone wonders how you could have a different "favorite" than "greatest" -- it's not unusual. Like, I bet most people's favorite FOOD is far from what they'd consider the greatest food.

Me:
Greatest -- dunno, I guess vegetables
Favorite -- not vegetables ha

#2030551 - 02/10/13 02:27 PM Re: 'If you can remember a tune, it's probably by Mozart....' [Re: bennevis]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: bennevis

Also, I'd bet you view Bach to be the greatest composer of all time? Many people fight over who holds that position. (Mozart, Bach or Beethoven)

I once heard someone in an interview say which composer he'd listen to if stranded on a desert island:

What are you implying? I think I have a hunch, but...

#2030562 - 02/10/13 02:42 PM Re: 'If you can remember a tune, it's probably by Mozart....' [Re: JoelW]
5000 Post Club Member

What are you implying? I think I have a hunch, but...

Well, I'm an atheist, but I think I know what he's getting at. BTW, he is (? was) someone famous (maybe a humanist), but I still can't remember who...

#2030649 - 02/10/13 04:48 PM Re: 'If you can remember a tune, it's probably by Mozart.... [Re: JoelW]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Too bad the stylistic traits of the day didn't allow his melodic gifts to be more tapped into. I wonder how his music would sound had he been born in the 1800's. (not to demean what he DID write)
I think you probably need to listen for what is in Bach rather than what you consider isn't. One of my professors at uni used to say "sublimity is not an occupational hazard solely of the 19th century". smile

#2030692 - 02/10/13 05:43 PM Re: 'If you can remember a tune, it's probably by Mozart....' [Re: JoelW]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City

Too bad the stylistic traits of the day didn't allow his melodic gifts to be more tapped into.
Bach wrote some of the most beautiful melodies ever and did so with great frequency.

#2030739 - 02/10/13 07:03 PM Re: 'If you can remember a tune, it's probably by Mozart....' [Re: bennevis]
Ferdinand Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Among Haydn's most memorable melodies are the Kaiserhymne (the equal of any melody by Mozart IMO) and the opening of the 1st movement of the D major cello concerto.

A bit OT -- does anyone else think that the theme of the finale of Mozart's symphony #39 sounds like a Haydn tune?

Mozart 39 finale

#2030750 - 02/10/13 07:27 PM Re: 'If you can remember a tune, it's probably by Mozart....' [Re: bennevis]
5000 Post Club Member

Apologies, I've now found the exact quote by Karl Barth, Swiss theologian:

"It may be that when the angels go about their task of praising God, they play only Bach. I am sure, however, that when they are together en famille, they play Mozart and that then too our dear Lord listens with special pleasure."

Much better than my corrupted version....... grin

#2030780 - 02/10/13 08:09 PM Re: 'If you can remember a tune, it's probably by Mozart....' [Re: bennevis]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
haha

#2030788 - 02/10/13 08:38 PM Re: 'If you can remember a tune, it's probably by Mozart....' [Re: JoelW]
whiteskyen Offline

I often listen his music in the every morning

#2031045 - 02/11/13 10:16 AM Re: 'If you can remember a tune, it's probably by Mozart....' [Re: bennevis]
jdhampton924 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Evansville, Indiana
Richter has said that he found Mozart very difficult to play well. But then, he isn't the only great pianist to say that.

It's noticeable that there are many, many pianists who play Mozart but not Haydn, but hardly any who play Haydn but not Mozart. Mozart's solo piano music is considered by some 'experts' to be inferior to Haydn's, yet there are many more recordings (on any medium) of Mozart piano sonatas than there are of Haydn's. The same is true of their respective symphonies too. Haydn wrote far more in both those genres than Mozart.

Some people have postulated that in our angst-ridden age, Mozart's music - frequently ambiguous, tinged with pathos (including when you least expect it) - 'speaks' more to us than Haydn's wit and jollity and unashamed love of the good life.

I was determined to learn all the Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven piano sonatas when in my teens, and spent my pocket money buying complete volumes of those scores. A few decades later, my Haydn volumes remain almost in pristine condition (except for a few pages corresponding to a few sonatas), while the Mozart and Beethoven ones are falling apart.

What are others' own experiences of the relative proportion of Haydn to Mozart in their piano playing (excluding piano concertos)?

I have always wondered if this was why Mendelssohn's music, a vast majority of it gets ignored. I was recently told another reason for it, something about racism with him being jewish.

#2031052 - 02/11/13 10:36 AM Re: 'If you can remember a tune, it's probably by Mozart....' [Re: jdhampton924]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: jdhampton924

I have always wondered if this was why Mendelssohn's music, a vast majority of it gets ignored. I was recently told another reason for it, something about racism with him being jewish.

Certainly doesn't apply in this day and age. While that explanation might have been valid to some degree 160 years ago, IMO the vast majority of Mendelssohn's solo piano writing that gets ignored these days deserves to be ignored. However, when he was on top of his game he was a good as the best of them.

#2032564 - 02/13/13 04:27 PM Re: 'If you can remember a tune, it's probably by Mozart....' [Re: bennevis]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Well, I have to say that many tunes stuck in my head are indeed by Mozart - sometimes I would like to turn off the radio though! smile (Not that I dislike Mozart of course - I love him -, but ear worms aren't always pleasant.)

Music is my best friend.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Did Bach’s wife write his finest works?
by CarlosCC
10/30/14 09:24 AM
Szanto Bach Prelude Fugue A minor
by bkthugs10214
10/30/14 09:13 AM
Steinway officially relocates flagship store.
by Jonathan Baker
10/30/14 09:00 AM
Advice please
by Ems' Mum
10/30/14 05:14 AM
Help identify the piano action
by Kumi_27
10/30/14 04:16 AM
Who's Online
124 registered (anotherscott, ando, alberto, AnimistFvR, albumblatter, 32 invisible), 1485 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76702 Members
42 Forums
158613 Topics
2329471 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission