2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,207 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 49 of 75 1 2 47 48 49 50 51 74 75
dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mucci
... playing real music and those isolated single notes (without reverb etc.) is something completely different! Don't rely too much on this.

It's been my experience that 88 wrongs never make a right.

Play lots of short notes, slather on the reverb, layer it, but if you start with crap all you end up with is a crap sandwich.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dewster
...if this is a good example of the Kawai layering project, color me rather unimpressed.

You didn't want to get involved in a comparison, right? wink

Okay then for this post: given your or somebody else's clinical, mainly headphone based unnatural (for piano and humans) PC screen environment, I am totally unimpressed with those thin, static, digital sounding engineering samples given in this thread, that's including any boring, lifeless, single piano note recording of whatever source.

People be certain that this has absolutely nothing to do with actually playing and enjoying your musical instrument, either digital or acoustic, e.g. HP307, CA63 or C7. Honestly, I'm having a hard time even recognizing my own preset this way, for the rest I'm doing just fine, thanks: I prefer to actually play my organic and expressive sounding CA93 in dual voice mode with live acoustics every day! thumb

K A W A I ..... R O L A N D ......... E - M U
C A - 9 3 ......... A X - 7 ...... X B O A R D - 4 9
dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TADutchman
People be certain that this has absolutely nothing to do with actually playing and enjoying your musical instrument, either digital or acoustic, e.g. HP307, CA63 or C7.

Yes, pay no attention to that loop behind the curtain.

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Attached you find the whole C1 to C7 set of (almost) full length CA63 Concert Grandeur patch. I for myself can hardly detect any loops, but in real live playing this is virtually neglectible. It's all about the sound signature.
Everyone can build its own opinion from this sample:

http://www.mediafire.com/?yz070u3xobkovp8

Is the new piano in the MP6 based on the same samples as this CA63?

E
E
I think dewster's test are very valuable indeed for knowing how a dp will sound. I discovered this when I bought Alicia's Keys and immediately noticed a very limited dynamic range and several dead sounding notes. These problems were immediately apparent when I belately listened to and read dewster's review of AK. At 5:08 into the mp3 you can clearly hear the dead notes. I was playing a slow David Nevue song (Winter Twilight) and the dead E and F notes really ruined the song.

Also here is a list of dynamic ranges as measured by dewster:
Item range (db)
EWQL Gol Bos 23
Kurz PC3X 29
Roland RD700 31
Alicia's Keys 32
Garritan 39
Ivory Bos 40
Kawai MP5 42
Kawai CN33 45
GalaxyII Stein 46
EWQL Bech 47
Roland RD700SN 47
Roland HP307 47
PX330 49
Pianissimo 50
Kawai CA63 51
GalaxyII VG 53
PianoTeq 54
GalaxyII Vint D 55
TruePianos 59
Yam P155 62
Yam CLP330 62
Yam CVP505 66
Yam P120 68

You can see that AK is among the lowest.

In summary I think dewster's tests do predict how a dp or VI will play and I would have saved money if I had read and listened to his report first.

Last edited by Edtek; 11/09/10 08:48 PM.

Ed (Out in the West Texas town of El Paso)
Yamaha P255
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Well, if that's the case, then this comparison makes for an easy decision:

Originally Posted by Edtek
here is a list of dynamic ranges as measured by Dewster
Item range (db)
Roland HP307 47
Kawai CA63 51
I would have saved money if I had read and listened to his report first.

Yes, the CA63 is lower priced.

Relatively speaking, the dynamic range of the Kawai CA93/CA63 in dual voice mode can be even about 3db higher than in single voice mode, depending on the selected preset.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Jake Jackson
Attached you find the whole C1 to C7 set of (almost) full length CA63 Concert Grandeur patch. I for myself can hardly detect any loops, but in real live playing this is virtually neglectible. It's all about the sound signature.
Everyone can build its own opinion from this sample:

http://www.mediafire.com/?yz070u3xobkovp8

Is the new piano in the MP6 based on the same samples as this CA63?

It is my understanding that the MP6 samples are from the previous superceded technology that was in the previous model the CA51.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Jake, the MP6 uses the same PHI (Progressive Harmonic Imaging) sampling technology that is found in the current generation CN23 and CN33 instruments. However, it should be noted that the MP6 includes additional (new) piano sounds that are not found on the CN models.

I hope this answers your question.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Online Content
Originally Posted by theJourney
It is my understanding that the MP6 samples are from the previous superceded technology that was in the previous model the CA51.

Kawai's sound technology is organised as follows (oldest to newest):

- Harmonic Imaging
- Harmonic Imaging, 88-key piano sampling
- Progressive Harmonic Imaging*
- Ultra Progressive Harmonic Imaging*

* inherits 88-key piano sampling

The CA51 used 'Harmonic Imaging' while the MP6 uses 'Progressive Harmonic Imaging', so in actual fact the MP6's tone generator newer than the CA51 by two generations.

Cheers,
James
x

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Edtek
I think dewster's test are very valuable indeed for knowing how a dp will sound. I discovered this when I bought Alicia's Keys and immediately noticed a very limited dynamic range and several dead sounding notes.

Edtek, thanks for the feedback! Sorry about your experience. As you say, with Alicia's Keys there is quite a bit of timbre variation from one adjacent note to the next, particularly over the low end, which is rather pronounced. And the dynamic range is firmly on the small side.

Although I don't place dynamic range in the pro or con review sections anymore, small dynamic range often sounds unrealistically loud when played lightly. I'm not sure what to make of the really wide dynamic ranges typically found in Yamaha DPs, but it wouldn't surprise me if there weren't some happy medium that behaves the most realistically. I need to do some experiments on our Young Chang to get some idea of what's what here.

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TADutchman
Well, if that's the case, then this comparison makes for an easy decision...

Ah, if it were only that easy.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm not sure what to make of the really wide dynamic ranges typically found in Yamaha DPs

A.f.a.i.k. Yamaha still owns a patent related to 'silent' DP key pressing.

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kawai James

- Harmonic Imaging

James, I don't personally hate you or anything, but the only term I understand there is "88-key piano sampling" which in my terms means no stretching.

It's my special purpose in life lately to grill any and all company reps for actual technical specs, so could you please elaborate on the differences between HI, PHI, and UPHI? This is gobbledygook nonsense to me. And, yes, I understand that everyone does this - could Kawai buck the top secret corporate trend and Do The Right Thing by DP enthusiasts? I think there are many out here who would appreciate some straight talk.

Online Content
dewster,

I don't personally hate you or anything...

Thank goodness - I'll sleep soundly tonight, safe in this knowledge.

the only term I understand there is "88-key piano sampling" which in my terms means no stretching.

Correct.

could you please elaborate on the differences between HI, PHI, and UPHI?

No, not to the level of detail that would satisfy an engineer such as yourself, I'm afraid. Sorry.

Cheers,
James
x

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
No, not to the level of detail that would satisfy an engineer such as yourself, I'm afraid. Sorry.

Thanks for replying - and I really mean that.

I wasn't asking necessarily for sensitive engineering info, though that would certainly be most welcome - think of me more as an interested consumer looking for more information about a product before deciding on a purchase. Not so much for myself obviously, but for my wife's church and students. If a Kawai DP offers the best keys and sound at a certain price range I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. But say I've narrowed it down to two different Kawai DPs, one with older sound and one with newer: how do I judge the dollar value to me of the difference?

I get that HI / PHI / UPHI this is something of a good / gooder / more gooder product sound technology tiering, but how will I perceive this if I play the various versions?

PHI is somehow progressive. How or what is progressive?

And UPHI, being ultra, is somehow an improved version of PHI. How or what is improved?

Any info at all that might differentiate these categories would be appreciated. I'm not trying to spar with you or pin you to the mat or anything, I'm actually just very interested in this subject.

Online Content
dewster, I tend to use (some might say overuse...) the term 'expressiveness' when describing the different levels of Harmonic Imaging. I believe Rimmer's recent post comparing the CN33 and CA63 (PHI and UPHI respectively) summed it up nicely - it's difficult to put your finger on quite what is different, but the UPHI sound is just somehow more 'expressive'.

Unfortunately, that's not the kind of thing that be observed in a Youtube clip or MP3 demo (even one that's been transcoded...) - you really need to 'feel' the subtle changes in timbre. That's why I'm always recommending consumers play-test instruments 'in the flesh' before making any purchasing decisions. I realise this may mean require extra leg-work seeking out a dealer, but it's really the only way to be absolutely confident that the instrument you're buying is the right one for you.

Cheers,
James
x

D
D

- Harmonic Imaging

James, I don't personally hate you or anything, but the only term I understand there is "88-key piano sampling" which in my terms means no stretching.

It's my special purpose in life lately to grill any and all company reps for actual technical specs, so could you please elaborate on the differences between HI, PHI, and UPHI? This is gobbledygook nonsense to me. And, yes, I understand that everyone does this - could Kawai buck the top secret corporate trend and Do The Right Thing by DP enthusiasts? I think there are many out here who would appreciate some straight talk.

According to this post: https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...0and%20MP10%20Stage%20P.html#Post1511408 UPHI uses twice the memory of PHI.

Now, whether that's more velocity layers, longer samples, higher bitrate or something else entirely I don't know; but there's a little more information for you at least.

Aaron

Playing since April 2010.
Kawai MP10
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Okay, I'l take a shot at this.

At this link ---

http://www.kawaius.com/main_links/digital/harmonic_imaging.htm

it says:

"Since each dynamic level of the piano carries a unique harmonic signature, our engineers created extremely accurate stereo 'maps' of the entire dynamic range for each key. Next, Kawai developed a proprietary new process called Harmonic Imagingâ„¢ to transform this vast 'harmonic portrait' into a vibrant re-creation of the EX Concert Piano. Harmonic Imaging faithfully reproduces the rich dynamic range of the original piano, from delicate pianissimos to thunderous fortissimos."

It sounds to me like Harmonic Imaging is a kind of modeling, applying algorithms to what is probably a single layer, in order to simulate the variations in tone that occur over a key's dynamic range. That's how I'd interpret taking a "harmonic portrait" of a note's response from ppp to fff and applying it to actual samples.

At this next link --

http://www.kawaius.com/main_links/digital/Features/harmonic_imaging.html

it says:

"Progressive Harmonic Imaging allows for even more harmonic content to be employed"

More harmonic content could mean brighter when hit harder and/or a revised "harmonic portrait" created from a greater number of "steps" between ppp and fff, or captured at a finer resolution.

I couldn't find anything with any description of what Ultra adds. I would guess it is probably "more of the same" (i.e. even more steps in the model between ppp and fff for smoother and more accurate dynamic transitions, or even more detailed harmonic analysis of each step to be used in the modeling).

But one thing seems consistent in all the descriptions: It has to do with capturing sonic differences within the dynamic range of a given note from ppp to fff. Each step apparently captures or simulates this range in finer detail.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Just for balance, and I'm not having a go at you Dewster given your love of SuperNatural, but the term SuperNatural is just about as bad as it gets and certainly worse than PHI, UHPI, etc IMHO. I mean come on 'supernatural' - puke! smile

Last edited by spanishbuddha; 11/11/10 01:52 PM.
Page 49 of 75 1 2 47 48 49 50 51 74 75

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission