Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2031204 - 02/11/13 02:52 PM Request For Insight On "Ritter vom Steckenpferd"
Louis Podesta Online   content
500 Post Club Member

For those who have read my recent post "Classical Piano News Story," it should not come as a shock that I am not a big believer in literal interpretation. And, this particular scene from the Kinderszenen is a good example.

The A section is no big deal, but, regarding the B section, in none of the three recordings that I have of this piece (Gieseking, Horowitz, & Moravec) can I hear anyone playing beat #2 in the left hand. Therefore, for those who have mastered this beautiful work, I would appreciate any insight you might have as to practice techniques in terms of grouping.

Currently, with the exception of measure #17, I just leave the second beat out in the left hand.

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#2031223 - 02/11/13 03:08 PM Re: Request For Insight On "Ritter vom Steckenpferd" [Re: Louis Podesta]
John v.d.Brook Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Are you stating an opinion, merely a fact of what you do, or asking our advice? FWIW, I play what's written, and so do my students, unless there's a compelling reason to do otherwise. Perhaps you don't hear the Cs because the performers are bringing out the descending melodic line and the Cs are providing supporting harmony.

#2031225 - 02/11/13 03:10 PM Re: Request For Insight On "Ritter vom Steckenpferd" [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
John -- exactly right.
I did a detailed reply on his same post on Pianist Corner.

#2031440 - 02/11/13 07:30 PM Re: Request For Insight On "Ritter vom Steckenpferd" [Re: Louis Podesta]
riley80 Offline

Loc: Florida
I just went racing to my music for a look. Yes, hitting that C isn't the easiest, but....in the last four measures, I DO play beat 1 with thumb and third fingers, which seems to get the pinky to that C a bit faster. hth. Of course, practice it at a tempo which makes it possible to play as written.

#2031475 - 02/11/13 08:50 PM Re: Request For Insight On "Ritter vom Steckenpferd" [Re: riley80]
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: riley80
I just went racing to my music for a look. Yes, hitting that C isn't the easiest, ....

What on earth are you talking about? Playing the C is one of the easiest parts of playing this piece. Now the middle E in measure 16 is difficult for smaller hands, so play it with the right thumb, not left, if you need to.

Although you didn't ask, I must say I'm appalled that you would hit your piano. Please don't. It's abusive and I'll have to report you to the piano police.

#2031477 - 02/11/13 08:54 PM Re: Request For Insight On "Ritter vom Steckenpferd" [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: John v.d.Brook
....Although you didn't ask, I must say I'm appalled that you would hit your piano. Please don't. It's abusive and I'll have to report you to the piano police.

ha ha ha

You don't talk about "hitting" keys?
If your students say it, which I'm sure they do sometimes, what is the penalty? grin

#2031523 - 02/11/13 10:59 PM Re: Request For Insight On "Ritter vom Steckenpferd" [Re: Mark_C]
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark_C
You don't talk about "hitting" keys?
If your students say it, which I'm sure they do sometimes, what is the penalty? grin

Yes, we often talk about not hitting the keys. The piano is a stringed instrument which uses hammers, not bows, to generate its sound. However, you don't have to hit the hammer to engage it. When you use a hammer to nail, you swing the hammer, the hammer does the "hitting."

Recall that for nearly 100 years, composers and pianists wanted to achieve a "singing" tone out of the instrument, not a percussive sound. They experimented with many approaches to using the keys. If you haven't read Amy Fay's Music Study in Germany, do so, as it will give you great insights into the sounds the great pianists were trying to achieve.

How we use the keys is dictated by the sound you want. If you stroke a key, it doesn't descend and hit the board underneath the keys. The result is a less harsh sound. However, if you need a highly percussive sound, then very rapid descent of the key, using the boney end of your finger, will give you the desired results. Unless you're striving for theatrics, the grand slams you see many performers make is totally unnecessary. You can achieve the same fortissimo sound using body weight and combo wrists/fingers, and save yourself the opportunity of "hitting" wrongs notes at the same time, by keeping your fingers near/on the keys. Of course, there are times we need to make blind aerial attacks, but those should be minimized as much as possible.

OTOH, if you're using an electric keyboard, by all means, hit away.

#2032085 - 02/12/13 07:58 PM Re: Request For Insight On "Ritter vom Steckenpferd" [Re: John v.d.Brook]
riley80 Offline

Sorry I said 'hit' when I probably should have said 'locate', or 'find' etc. I was thinking 'hit' as opposed to 'miss'.

Measure 16 has an E? Or did you mean meas. 12 (played with that C#)? My right thumb took on that duty long ago. I can barely stretch a 9th on a very good day.

#2032135 - 02/12/13 09:35 PM Re: Request For Insight On "Ritter vom Steckenpferd" [Re: riley80]
7000 Post Club Member

Measure 16 has an E? Or did you mean meas. 12 (played with that C#)? My right thumb took on that duty long ago. I can barely stretch a 9th on a very good day.

That's the danger of trying to remember measure numbers from memory. Yes, you are correct, measure 12. The E, for most students, should be redistributed to the RH. Thanks for the catch.

John

#2032176 - 02/12/13 11:05 PM Re: Request For Insight On "Ritter vom Steckenpferd" [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Mark_C Offline

....Thanks for the catch.

Still waiting for the OP to thank us for the catch.... grin

#2032302 - 02/13/13 07:25 AM Re: Request For Insight On "Ritter vom Steckenpferd" [Re: Mark_C]
7000 Post Club Member

Mark, we've lost many good teachers from this forum, because they've bent over backwards to help out a student, who often should really be getting this basic stuff from their own teacher, and then the OP disappears for days, sometimes never to return. It's very frustrating and these teachers have no need to put up with such.

Well, I cannot get too upset as at the moment, KING-FM is streaming Cesar Frank's d minor symphony, and that's just one of those pieces that I find totally uplifting.

#2032345 - 02/13/13 08:58 AM Re: Request For Insight On "Ritter vom Steckenpferd" [Re: riley80]
TimR Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Sorry I said 'hit' when I probably should have said 'locate', or 'find' etc. I was thinking 'hit' as opposed to 'miss'.

A bit off topic, but I was doing some engineering work on a German golf course, inspecting an irrigation well being installed, while golfers played through right past us and errant shots endangered our vehicles.

I referred to a golf shot as a shot, and was quickly corrected by the local German golf course representive. To him it was a golf hit (schlagen) rather than a golf shot (schiessen).

#2032405 - 02/13/13 10:47 AM Re: Request For Insight On "Ritter vom Steckenpferd" [Re: John v.d.Brook]
riley80 Offline

Whew - I feel somewhat vindicated. : ))

I don't know WHY music publishers print notes like that on the bass staff when they could easily be printed on the treble. Do they think the average pianist can make that stretch? As an accompanist, I run into that all the time, so I am busy with my white out pen, and rewriting notes to other staffs.

#2032421 - 02/13/13 11:24 AM Re: Request For Insight On "Ritter vom Steckenpferd" [Re: riley80]
TimR Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Whew - I feel somewhat vindicated. : ))

I don't know WHY music publishers print notes like that on the bass staff when they could easily be printed on the treble.

In handbell music, middle C# and below are always written in bass clef, but Db and above are always written on the treble.

No apparent reason, just convention.

#2032429 - 02/13/13 11:31 AM Re: Request For Insight On "Ritter vom Steckenpferd" [Re: riley80]
keystring Online   content

Loc: Canada

I don't know WHY music publishers print notes like that on the bass staff when they could easily be printed on the treble. Do they think the average pianist can make that stretch?

These leads to a question. Does the placement of a note in a given staff necessarily indicate which hand has to play it? I would think that you can grab a note with either hand regardless of whether it's printed in the lower or higher staff. I'm checking whether I am understanding something wrongly.

#2032441 - 02/13/13 12:00 PM Re: Request For Insight On "Ritter vom Steckenpferd" [Re: keystring]
TimR Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: keystring

I don't know WHY music publishers print notes like that on the bass staff when they could easily be printed on the treble. Do they think the average pianist can make that stretch?

These leads to a question. Does the placement of a note in a given staff necessarily indicate which hand has to play it? I would think that you can grab a note with either hand regardless of whether it's printed in the lower or higher staff. I'm checking whether I am understanding something wrongly.

I have never thought so. Of course it's convenient when it works that way, especially for those of us who are less experienced.

But there are lot of times, e.g. with an SATB hymn, where it is either easier or necessary to grab a bass clef note with the right hand or a treble with the left.

I imagine method books are carefully written to separate hands on clefs for beginners.

#2032447 - 02/13/13 12:13 PM Re: Request For Insight On "Ritter vom Steckenpferd" [Re: riley80]
7000 Post Club Member

I don't know WHY music publishers print notes like that on the bass staff when they could easily be printed on the treble. Do they think the average pianist can make that stretch? As an accompanist, I run into that all the time, so I am busy with my white out pen, and rewriting notes to other staffs.

There is a reason, and teachers should be able to explain it to students. If you go back and look at the score, you will see that this note is part of a musical line, a musical voice, which is independent of, but supporting, what the other voices are singing. For visual and musical consistency, changing staffs would lead to confusion. Printed this way, you know exactly what Schumann intended. Now, whether to play it with the left hand or right hand is a judgement call. I can reach it, and generally play it with my left hand. That way, my left thumb is in control of that particular inner voice. Switching hands means that I have to be very careful not of accent the note because my right hand is playing marginally stronger to carry the melody. You'd be surprised how many students carelessly accent notes which should not be accented.

#2032460 - 02/13/13 12:47 PM Re: Request For Insight On "Ritter vom Steckenpferd" [Re: TimR]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: TimR
A bit off topic....

Who cares -- we've totally answered the original question, so we can talk about whatever we want. grin

Quote:
....I was doing some engineering work on a German golf course, inspecting an irrigation well being installed, while golfers played through right past us and errant shots endangered our vehicles.

I referred to a golf shot as a shot, and was quickly corrected by the local German golf course representative. To him it was a golf hit (schlagen) rather than a golf shot (schiessen).

I guess it varies regionally, including within countries, but where I've played, it's different and more complex than that. smile

"Shot" is what you thought.
"Hit" is an aspect of the quality of a given shot.

It means, how well you hit the ball, in terms of solidity and true-ness of contact.
A "good hit" wouldn't necessarily be a good shot, because it might be way short or way long (due to factors of strength or judgment) or even a fair amount off-line (due to poor aiming). But a good shot would almost always also be a good hit.

#2032461 - 02/13/13 12:48 PM Re: Request For Insight On "Ritter vom Steckenpferd" [Re: keystring]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: keystring

You're absolutely right.

#2032476 - 02/13/13 01:31 PM Re: Request For Insight On "Ritter vom Steckenpferd" [Re: Mark_C]
TimR Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark_C
A bit off topic....

Who cares -- we've totally answered the original question, so we can talk about whatever we want. grin

Quote:
....I was doing some engineering work on a German golf course, inspecting an irrigation well being installed, while golfers played through right past us and errant shots endangered our vehicles.

I referred to a golf shot as a shot, and was quickly corrected by the local German golf course representative. To him it was a golf hit (schlagen) rather than a golf shot (schiessen).

I guess it varies regionally, including within countries, but where I've played, it's different and more complex than that. smile

And since we're really off topic, I'll tell a story one of the Germans told me.

He and his brother went to the Alps to test the echo on one of the peaks. His brother stayed down the path a bit to listen.

He yelled to his brother, "Schiessen oder klangeln?"
The reply was "Schiessen!"

But they heard no echo.

Again, "schiessen oder klangeln?" and again no echo. Several more times, and his brother was getting frustrated. "Schiessen! Schiessen!" he shouted.

And my friend replied, "Ich kann nicht. Ich hab kein mehr Pfeil." (I am out of arrows)

Guess you had to be there.

#2032480 - 02/13/13 01:34 PM Re: Request For Insight On "Ritter vom Steckenpferd" [Re: TimR]
Mark_C Offline

....Guess you had to be there.

No, it's funny anyway. ha ha

BTW I was expecting that it was going to be some kind of pun on "scheissen." grin

Mark, we've lost many good teachers from this forum, because they've bent over backwards to help out a student, who often should really be getting this basic stuff from their own teacher, and then the OP disappears for days, sometimes never to return. It's very frustrating....

But it's extra surprising in this case because the OP is imagining and presenting himself as a serious thinker and writer on piano. For such a person to just disappear after such a post is very out of the ordinary.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
164 registered (accordeur, 36251, A Guy, 88 Fingers Jeff, 41 invisible), 1851 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75487 Members
42 Forums
156100 Topics
2292283 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Godowsky - Prelude and Fugue for left hand alone
by Polyphonist
07/23/14 02:50 PM
piano player wanted...
by David Farley
07/23/14 02:38 PM
Wurlitzer electric piano sound
by 88 Fingers Jeff
07/23/14 01:24 PM
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
by Piano World
07/23/14 01:05 PM
Newbie Needs Help
by PianoJill
07/23/14 12:25 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission