Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2031205 - 02/11/13 02:53 PM Ear training for classical pianists
alex s Offline

Loc: san antonio
Maybe it's just the teachers I have had years ago before I stopped taking lessons, but not one of them emphasized the importance of ear training. Is this a common phenomenon? Maybe most musicians do this instinctively? I found once I focused my attention on trying to play by ear after I read the sheet music correctly and the music in my ears, things started to gel towards memorizing. Not only that, my singing was more on pitch than in the past. In the past, I had so much trouble memorizing, but little trouble sight-reading - whereas, a friend of mine was the opposite. It made me start thinking I had been using sheet music only, while de-emphasizing the ear part. It makes sense to focus on both and meld them together.

Kind of a two part question:
What are the best exercises for ear training? Anything else in in order of importance besides trying to focus on the sounds and being able to identify intervals?

Edited by alex s (02/11/13 02:54 PM)

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2031208 - 02/11/13 02:57 PM Re: Ear training for classical pianists [Re: alex s]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

I'll be honest; the absolute best ear training I've experienced was taking up violin.

#2031214 - 02/11/13 03:02 PM Re: Ear training for classical pianists [Re: alex s]
alex s Offline

Loc: san antonio
Good point. I only started to learn it when I took up the electric guitar and started piano improv. Glad I found out sooner because I had quit playing piano because of all the reliance on muscle memory instead of ear training. The great composers/musicians must do this more instinctivly than others.

#2031320 - 02/11/13 04:46 PM Re: Ear training for classical pianists [Re: alex s]
bennevis Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

For me, the best ear training I ever had was singing in the choir while at school: one soon learnt to pitch notes and intervals precisely, and sing at sight (once the key was established), as most of our singing was a cappella, and we often had to change keys for the following pieces during choral concerts - which we gave regularly - without having the tonic note sounded first on the piano or organ, as that would break the spell....

#2031333 - 02/11/13 04:53 PM Re: Ear training for classical pianists [Re: alex s]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
What are the best exercises for ear training?

Listen to a piece of music and transcribe it to paper.

What I do is listen to the piece many times before I put pencil to paper; I try to figure as much as I can in my head before I touch a keyboard.

After you do this many times you'll start thinking about strategies to make the task quicker and easier.

There ain't no shortcuts. smile

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#2031429 - 02/11/13 06:49 PM Re: Ear training for classical pianists [Re: alex s]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: alex s

Kind of a two part question:
What are the best exercises for ear training? Anything else in in order of importance besides trying to focus on the sounds and being able to identify intervals?

I don't know if it's the best way, but the way I remember it from theory class was that we got ear training along with the theory. IIRC, we first learned the intervals of the second, then put them together to form scales. Then the rest of the intervals. Then triads on each scale degree. Then seventh chords. Then cadences and short chord progressions. At each step of the way, we got the ear training to identify the theory we learned. At the time, I thought it worked pretty well, although I can't remember much of it at this point, because I didn't really use it. frown

#2031457 - 02/11/13 08:15 PM Re: Ear training for classical pianists [Re: alex s]
LadyChen Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Sing.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
138 registered (ADWyatt, accordeur, Alkanaut, 36251, Almaviva, 44 invisible), 1492 Guests and 51 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74257 Members
42 Forums
153603 Topics
2251239 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
DIsassemble Kawai MP10/MP11
by prox
04/20/14 10:59 AM
Action regulating
by pater57
04/20/14 08:59 AM
Kurzweil SP5-8 as main studio keyboard/stage piano
by Barty
04/20/14 08:33 AM
Greg Pauley in Concert June 1st, Sunday 3:30pm
by Larry Buck
04/20/14 07:58 AM
Happy Easter!
by Marko in Boston
04/20/14 06:58 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission