2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
33 members (Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,240 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
This thread is far sillier than the thread(s) it discusses or objects to. Why not just notify the moderator if one objects to a thread?

Because sometimes the point is just to have fun.

-J

Mark_C Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
This thread is far sillier than the thread(s) it discusses or objects to. Why not just notify the moderator if one objects to a thread?

Again, you misunderstood something. smile

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O

Why notify the moderator about any thread? Are we in romper room? Maybe you should replace your mouse if it won't let you select a thread more to your liking.

M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
I thought the funny part was the goof ball was restraining himself during the early part of his story, but once the thread was closed he went off the deep end and committed Piano World suicide... smile

I wouldn't be surprised to see his other persona Tyrone in the future...

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I don't understand why Mark even brought it up.

Best regards,

Deborah
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by gooddog
I don't understand why Mark even brought it up.
I guess he thought the thread was funny. (I didn't - and my BS meter went off very early.)

Du holde Kunst...
Originally Posted by Old Man

Why notify the moderator about any thread? Are we in romper room?
I'd say starting this thread is the equivalent of romper room. I think notifying the moderator if a thread is inappropriate is the by far the most reasonable thing to do. But starting a thread about the inappropriateness of another thread is silly. In fact, I can't remember this ever being done before.

Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by currawong
I guess he thought the thread was funny....

Actually more than that.
But it certainly wasn't "inappropriateness." I wouldn't do a thread to draw attention to that. It amuses me (truly) that someone (not you!) would have assumed it was that, and run with it.

People need to know their limitations. grin

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
You forgot to mention the graphic hip X-Ray. I was following the thread at the time, throwing in an occasional comment, and waiting to see when it would be locked.

Is the thread still viewable or has it been pulled because of the (air quote) broken hip?

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
You forgot to mention the graphic hip X-Ray.....

I missed that. I guess I didn't spend enough time on the thread. ha

....pulled because of the (air quote) broken hip?

I think it was pulled for [air quote] every imaginable reason. smile

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Some of his wording was also pretty funny (yet extremely vulgar). The guy was bored.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by JoelW
The guy was bored.

And probably sexually frustrated with the resultant need to play it all out on PW. He must have not got enough titillation on Facebook.

Jason
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
I'd say starting this thread is the equivalent of romper room. I think notifying the moderator if a thread is inappropriate is the by far the most reasonable thing to do. But starting a thread about the inappropriateness of another thread is silly. In fact, I can't remember this ever being done before.

But what's "inappropriate"? Most of us still don't even know what the "it" is, since access to the "it" has been denied.

My point is that any and every thread, no matter how trivial, frivolous, or inappropriate, should have its day. Let the market place determine whether it lives to see another day. Why must a handful of tattletales go running to the mods every time they sense impropriety, hence my reference to romper room. ("Miss Nancy, Miss Nancy, Johnny said a bad word!")

I've seen very serious, very "appropriate" threads that get one or two replies and simply drift to the bottom of the thread list. I can't explain why, but for whatever reason, the topic had no appeal.

Then we get a topic like "The piano and homosexuality", which could have been a model of "inappropriateness", and yet it's drawing a huge audience, both in terms of replies and views. Although it's meandered a bit (as all threads do), it's remained serious, thoughtful, and civil. Had the self-appointed censors run to the mods, it probably wouldn't have made it to page 2. Thanks to Kreisler's light hand, it's now approaching page 10. Rather than a model of "inappropriateness", it's become a model of a free-flowing and civil exchange of ideas. Isn't that what PW should be?

But what's "inappropriate"? Most of us still don't even know what the "it" is, since access to the "it" has been denied.

My point is that any and every thread, no matter how trivial, frivolous, or inappropriate, should have its day. Let the market place determine whether it lives to see another day. Why must a handful of tattletales go running to the mods every time they sense impropriety, hence my reference to romper room. ("Miss Nancy, Miss Nancy, Johnny said a bad word!")
Well, that would mean PW is unmoderated unless one expects the moderator to read every thread. I guess that's a possibility but it would definitely change the tone of the site.

Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
OldMan: Supposed "inappropriateness" of the other thread had nothing to do with this thread. The idea that it was about that was the imagination of the guy you're replying to.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"... Had the self-appointed censors run to the mods, it probably wouldn't have made it to page 2..."

Oh, I think he has run to the mods... but they weren't having any.

Good point, about that mouse that won't select a different thread. Definitely needs a new mouse. "Miss Nancy, Miss Nancy---"

Guess I missed the 'excitement' of the crash-landing, but I thought that thread with the x-ray was kind of hilarious, if too-obviously fictitious--- anyway, I hope it was (who brings home his own x-ray?). All the street signs pointed to Divorce Court. Or maybe the writer was trying out a plot line for a daytime drama. Or maybe it was a husband's plot to save himself some money on Valentine's Day. So, what, did the x-ray turn into an ex-husband--- no, wait, it was the other guy that broke his foot--- do we know? I was waiting for the wife (or both wives) (or both wives and the piano teacher) to find out about the thread, and chime in with her own answer; I can well suppose it might have turned too blue for the front page of the forum.

Never mind--- I can wait until the interlocutory decree is granted, to find out... or even, forever.

The only person I remember having that much imagination for role-playing online was PianoMadam. No--- it couldn't be.

Clef

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Mark_C
OldMan: Supposed "inappropriateness" of the other thread had nothing to do with this thread. The idea that it was about that was the imagination of the guy you're replying to.

Precisely. It wasn't clear that "the guy I'm replying to" had even seen the other thread, but it was clear that he was intent on bashing you for starting a "silly" thread. But whether the other thread was inappropriate, and this one silly, or vice versa, or both silly, is beside the point. PL has every right to describe this thread or any other thread exactly the way he sees it. But to suggest it might be "reasonable" to report your silliness to the mods, well, that's where I get off the boat. (Hmmm, bad metaphor given last night's Triumph.) crazy

My very favorite comic was the late, great George Carlin. So that tells you where my "inappropriateness" threshold is. laugh

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Well, that would mean PW is unmoderated unless one expects the moderator to read every thread. I guess that's a possibility but it would definitely change the tone of the site.

While I don't expect an unmoderated forum, I would certainly welcome it. Then again, I'm sure there are probably situations that I haven't considered that might give me pause, so I don't want to be absolutist about it.

But as a general principle, I do believe that as adults, we should be able to handle what comes our way. I have yet to encounter a thread that I thought should be closed, but I haven't read that many, so I'm open to examples. I respect your opinions, but I'm not enamored of a few individuals imposing their opinions on the rest of us by asking that a thread be closed. Call me crazy.

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
Just For The Fun of It
A place to post stuff that is just plain fun! Games Puzzles Quizes Polls Jokes (keep them clean)

There is a place for such threads. But even then the posts are expected to be "clean".

PL has every right to describe this thread or any other thread exactly the way he sees it. But to suggest it might be "reasonable" to report your silliness to the mods, well, that's where I get off the boat.
That's not what I suggested. I suggested that reporting the thread(s) mentioned in the first post in this thread to the moderators would be reasonable.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 02/15/13 03:10 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission