Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2029165 - 02/08/13 06:00 AM Chopin Introduction and Polonaise Brillante
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
Thought I'd post this amusing clip from a rehearsal before a concert. Quite a few fudged bits; we were both very nervous. Thankfully the actually concert went okay but we didn't get a recording of that :-(, sods law.

Edited by debrucey (02/08/13 06:01 AM)

#2029357 - 02/08/13 03:05 PM Re: Chopin Introduction and Polonaise Brillante [Re: debrucey]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Terrific! Really.

I love this piece and wish it were played more, don't understand why more cellists don't insist on it. smile
I didn't really know it till just 3 years ago, when I heard it in a couple of the Chopin 200 year celebrations, including one by Yo-Yo Ma and Emanuel Ax, and probably hundreds of times since then on a CD of the other of them. (I loved the piece and that performance so much that with permission of the performers I posted it on youtube).

You both do great. To me it's a fully professional performance, with a nice Chopin feel and a good polonaise lilt. There's one thing I would have preferred very slightly differently and of course this is just a matter of taste: I would have liked the polonaise part to be a touch slower, to allow for still a bit more of the polonaise lilt -- but even at that rapid tempo, you've got that. It's great that you did this piece and I'm very glad you posted it.

#2029405 - 02/08/13 04:58 PM Re: Chopin Introduction and Polonaise Brillante [Re: Mark_C]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark_C
don't understand why more cellists don't insist on it.

I do, it's bloody difficult haha. My cellist regretted it by the end ;-)

Thanks for your comments :-)

Edited by debrucey (02/08/13 05:03 PM)

#2029414 - 02/08/13 05:16 PM Re: Chopin Introduction and Polonaise Brillante [Re: debrucey]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: debrucey
I do, it's bloody difficult haha. My cellist regretted it by the end ;-)

Darn right it is! You start feeling sorry for the cello at the end of the intro, when it tries to do what the piano did at the beginning. ha

(Sure, real good cellists can do it -- and your guy did!)

Quote:
My cellist regretted it by the end ;-)

He needn't have.
And it'll be a great thing to keep in his repertoire forever. I hope he feels like it.

BTW, you too! smile

#2030151 - 02/09/13 10:46 PM Re: Chopin Introduction and Polonaise Brillante [Re: debrucey]
Mark_C Offline

P.S. I hope that some more of our members might give a serious listen to this. It's an excellent performance of a fairly neglected piece of Chopin. Sure, it's not "the mature Chopin," including that I think we hear Chopin doing some imitation of Schubert (in the intro) and Mozart (the beginning of the polonaise) on his way to becoming himself, but it has very much to offer: beautiful Chopinesque melodies, a wonderful polonaise theme that is nicely developed, nice interplay between the cello and piano, and at the end a neat launching into a neat coda. Just the fact of it being one of Chopin's few works for an instrument besides piano is noteworthy, and it gives the cello a beautiful and challenging part. I think it's a nice little treasure to have such a fine performance here of this rare piece.

#2030171 - 02/09/13 11:46 PM Re: Chopin Introduction and Polonaise Brillante [Re: Mark_C]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
P.S. I hope that some more of our members might give a serious listen to this. It's an excellent performance [...]

Liked it.

Debrucey, you look quite comfortable and relaxed at the piano.

This was easy to listen to! A very engaging performance by both musicians! thumb

#2031331 - 02/11/13 04:52 PM Re: Chopin Introduction and Polonaise Brillante [Re: debrucey]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Thanks so much guys :-)

#2031380 - 02/11/13 05:19 PM Re: Chopin Introduction and Polonaise Brillante [Re: debrucey]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Thank you for sharing this. I second the comments made by everyone else. Even though it was a practice session, as always, I thoroughly enjoyed it. smile

#2031389 - 02/11/13 05:30 PM Re: Chopin Introduction and Polonaise Brillante [Re: Derulux]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: Derulux
....Even though it was a practice session....

Not to be picky about language grin but I'd hardly call that a practice session!

That "practice" was better than most people's performances!

#2031401 - 02/11/13 05:48 PM Re: Chopin Introduction and Polonaise Brillante [Re: debrucey]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Well, it was a pre-concert rehearsal, so slightly more serious than a practice session lol. In the second movement of the Barber sonata I was making all sorts of mistakes that I'd never made before, it was really stressful haha. Thankfully the concert itself went ok.

#2031414 - 02/11/13 06:24 PM Re: Chopin Introduction and Polonaise Brillante [Re: debrucey]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Sorry, you're both right.. I'm doing a million things at once right now and the phrase I wanted (dress rehearsal) escaped my vocabulary at that particular moment. I made a substitution that was inadequate.

I didn't mean at all to detract from the performance with my poor word choice there.. it really was wonderful. smile

#2031465 - 02/11/13 08:27 PM Re: Chopin Introduction and Polonaise Brillante [Re: Derulux]
Mark_C Offline

....the phrase I wanted (dress rehearsal)....

But it wasn't that either -- not wearing dresses. ha

#2031526 - 02/11/13 11:03 PM Re: Chopin Introduction and Polonaise Brillante [Re: Mark_C]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

....the phrase I wanted (dress rehearsal)....

But it wasn't that either -- not wearing dresses. ha

We're not going to start that again, are we? help hahaha laugh

#2032995 - 02/14/13 11:42 AM Re: Chopin Introduction and Polonaise Brillante [Re: debrucey]
woodog Offline

Loc: Bowling Green, KY
Really good balance. VERY satisfying rendition, i.e. more than just the right notes at the right time.

Well done!

Forrest
Bach 848, 866
Schumann Op. 15

Moderator:  Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Proud new owner of a Yamaha P22
by amanda416
09/17/14 09:04 PM
Returning to piano, advice on slow learning process
by roninpro
09/17/14 07:57 PM
Anton Kuerti and Cyprien Katsaris
by pianoloverus
09/17/14 07:09 PM
Pianists' tessitura
by Riddler
09/17/14 06:54 PM
Fingering for "Wind (Naruto)" excerpt
by longyodel127
09/17/14 05:28 PM
Who's Online
121 registered (accordeur, A Guy, amanda416, 255, 40 invisible), 1205 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76233 Members
42 Forums
157592 Topics
2314788 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission