2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, 4 invisible), 1,281 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2030854 02/11/13 12:51 AM
M
Mizcef Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hey!
I'm new to playing piano, have only been playing for a couple of months, I struggle to keep in time when playing. Can anyone offer some advice?

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Counting and clapping are what many beginners start with. Many start by counting or clapping without touching the piano. A person can do this with the sheet music, or to a recording (YouTube has a ton of recordings). Some count while they are playing, some tap their left foot, saving the right for the pedal.

Many slow the tempo way down, so they can play accurately. Only when there is a high level of accuracy, do they pick up the tempo. Slowing way down is probably the most valuable learning tip I have gotten directly from the forum.

The metronome can also be a useful tool. There are old school mechanical metronomes as well as apps for phone or tablets, and software for computers. Some prefer a blinking light without sound. Some prefer a drum sound so it feels more like music.

I tend to need to hear a tune to pick out the timing and phrasing.

M
Mizcef Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks for the advice, I have a metronome at home but I just struggle with trying to coordinate everything together, but I guess it just takes practice. Ive also only been getting informal lessons and I start with a proper teacher tomorrow so hopefully this helps also smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You basically have to slow down, way down if necessary, if you are struggling. Also, learn to count out loud while practicing without the metronome. It's tiring, but very beneficial. There is no need to practice with the metronome all the time. I use it once in a while to check my timing, but otherwise, I count instead.

C
C
Singing helped me. The words can be the note names (A, B, etc.) or the place in the rhythm (1, "2 and", "3-ee-and-uh", etc.) Or just hum. It helps my kids too, but they hate doing it.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Early on in my learning I used a nifty little book entitled "Basic Timing for the Pianist." It is a collection of "105 short, short exercises leading to thorough and complete mastery of basic timing problems." The author is Allan Small.

I enjoyed working with it and while I cannot say I mastered timing thoroughly and completely (as promised in the title), the exercises certainly did help!!!

Christine

[Linked Image]
M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by GlassLove
Early on in my learning I used a nifty little book entitled "Basic Timing for the Pianist." It is a collection of "105 short, short exercises leading to thorough and complete mastery of basic timing problems." The author is Allan Small.

I enjoyed working with it and while I cannot say I mastered timing thoroughly and completely (as promised in the title), the exercises certainly did help!!!

I used the same book, and it helps...

Originally Posted by GlassLove

I once had a rock oriented teacher that suggested using a drummers book for timing. He said it was useful for a well rounded musician that wants to improve timing skills. I did that for awhile and it helped.

I also used the book by Allan Small and preferred it. In my opinion, its a must have for any keyboard player that wants to work on timing.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission