Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2039870 - 02/26/13 09:14 PM Re: regulate and voice a drop action [Re: Toni Goldener]
daniokeeper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: PA
Hi Beethoven986,

To quote:
There are hundreds of thousands of these things in the US, and 50 years from now, most of them will probably still be around. That said, I don't think they will be scarce for a long time. If anything, they will become a novelty among the hipster crowd.[Emphasis added]

That's fine by me smile I am perfectly happy to work on spinets for folks that want to invest the money... especially if there is a demand for them.
(semi-retired)

(ad PTG 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
PTG 57th Annual Convention - Atlanta
#2039880 - 02/26/13 09:36 PM Re: regulate and voice a drop action [Re: Toni Goldener]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
There are plenty of techs who will work on spinets. There is a paucity of spinet owners who will pay what it costs for that work, especially if you tell them that there are better options.

#2039911 - 02/26/13 11:27 PM Re: regulate and voice a drop action [Re: Minnesota Marty]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
Ahem,

I don't know about the others, but Badura-Skoda is not of that opinion. His thinking and discussion of the contempory piano is not of inferiority in the least. Quite the opposite.

As there are plenty of recordings of B-S using the modern piano, I also doubt that he considers the contemporary piano inferior, but that's not quite what I said. He also performs extensively on period instruments, and I believe he has quite a collection of period instruments, which I doubt would be the case if he found them to be lacking.
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#2039913 - 02/26/13 11:32 PM Re: regulate and voice a drop action [Re: daniokeeper]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: daniokeeper
Hi Beethoven986,

To quote:
There are hundreds of thousands of these things in the US, and 50 years from now, most of them will probably still be around. That said, I don't think they will be scarce for a long time. If anything, they will become a novelty among the hipster crowd.[Emphasis added]

That's fine by me smile I am perfectly happy to work on spinets for folks that want to invest the money... especially if there is a demand for them.

I'm perfectly happy to tune them, but I don't think I'm going to beg anyone to let me regulate one. I used to work for a tech who made spinets a large part of his business, and I'd have to regulate them, so it's not that I can't do it. It's just that 1) I'd rather be doing other things and 2) many people will opt to get a better piano, or at least start thinking about it, if prompted.

#2039918 - 02/26/13 11:51 PM Re: regulate and voice a drop action [Re: beethoven986]
daniokeeper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: beethoven986
Hi Beethoven986,

To quote:

That's fine by me smile I am perfectly happy to work on spinets for folks that want to invest the money... especially if there is a demand for them. [Emphasis added]

I'm perfectly happy to tune them, but I don't think I'm going to beg anyone to let me regulate one. I used to work for a tech who made spinets a large part of his business, and I'd have to regulate them, so it's not that I can't do it. It's just that 1) I'd rather be doing other things and 2) many people will opt to get a better piano, or at least start thinking about it, if prompted. [Emphasis added]

Ahem... I'm not going to "beg" anyone to let me regulate them either. I currently advise any and all of my customers whether or not their instrument is likely to have sufficient resale value to justify the investment, and whether or not they might be further ahead investing that money in another instrument. If the client is informed of the realities and decides to go ahead, I have enough respect for them to provide the service they requested.

However, there can be other considerations beyond the merely monetary, or even if the instrument is capable of becoming a masterpiece. There is sentimental value, familiarity (as was mentioned earlier in this thread), space considerations, matching furniture styling, etc.

Just because the cost of a repair might not be able to be recovered in the event of a hypothetical sale does not automatically make the repair fraudulent or inappropriate. You can spend a large sum of money on a great meal, or a vacation, and that isn't resalable either. Edit: And, the repair is made with the informed consent... informed request... of the client.

Edit: As to whether the old spinets will ever become popular, I just think about the p[layer piano. They were common and the player mechanisms we reconsidered disposable. But, see how they are viewed now.

I'll make another preposterous prediction:
The day will come when people begin to appreciate the materials and workmanship used in the old uprights. I think you will see a revival there as well.

Back to the thread...

Edited by daniokeeper (02/27/13 12:03 AM)
(semi-retired)

#2039920 - 02/26/13 11:59 PM Re: regulate and voice a drop action [Re: daniokeeper]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: beethoven986
Hi Beethoven986,

To quote:

That's fine by me smile I am perfectly happy to work on spinets for folks that want to invest the money... especially if there is a demand for them. [Emphasis added]

I'm perfectly happy to tune them, but I don't think I'm going to beg anyone to let me regulate one. I used to work for a tech who made spinets a large part of his business, and I'd have to regulate them, so it's not that I can't do it. It's just that 1) I'd rather be doing other things and 2) many people will opt to get a better piano, or at least start thinking about it, if prompted. [Emphasis added]

Ahem... I'm not going to "beg" anyone to let me regulate them either.... Just because the cost of a repair might not be able to be recovered in the event of a hypothetical sale does not automatically make the repair fraudulent or inappropriate.

No implication was intended. Just my own personal philosophy.

#2039923 - 02/27/13 12:16 AM Re: regulate and voice a drop action [Re: beethoven986]
daniokeeper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:

No implication was intended. Just my own personal philosophy.

In that case, I apologize for jumping the gun. smile

-Joe
(semi-retired)

#2039942 - 02/27/13 01:23 AM Re: regulate and voice a drop action [Re: daniokeeper]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
Well, I certainly hope Toni has learned a thing or two to this point in the thread... including the trepidation with which one must live prior to posting anything in the Tuner/Tech forum on Piano World.

My new bumper sticker says: "Threads Morph"

[...] The day will come when people begin to appreciate the materials and workmanship used in the old uprights. I think you will see a revival there as well. [...]

They don't make 'em like they used to, daniokeeper, that's for sure.

I think there are some pianos worth saving, not only as artifacts, but as "nice" pianos. Many pianos fall into this category, actually. I think a tech with good judgement could say to an owner, in good conscience, "This is a nice piano." Even if it's a spinet, or a dumpy console! Because: it can be made to be quite serviceable, given the situation. I have had two young teens, recently, express JOY at the way their pianos sounded after tuning. Both pianos were dumpy consoles with, um, issues... But a nice tuning invigorated both kids' enthusiasm for playing. Those of us who live in the "used" piano market may see things a little differently than those who work in the new...

Many things happen through piano lessons (in otherwords, "everything is over-determined,") and not everyone can afford a Fazioli or a Schimmelmeistervonheuten.

--Andy

#2040103 - 02/27/13 11:42 AM Re: regulate and voice a drop action [Re: Toni Goldener]
David Boyce Offline

Loc: Scotland
"The problem with Spinet pianos has always been the difficulty in providing even the most basic service that is far more easily and efficiently done in virtually any other kind of piano. (Only Birdcage pianos are worse!)"

With the greatest possible diffidence and respect, bearing in mind from whom the above opinion emanates, I'd like to suggest that "only Birdcage pianos are worse" needs some qualifying!

If we are speaking of VERY old overdamper pianos, perhaps of the "cottage piano" type with spring & loop actions and vellum hinges, then, yes, perhaps. In addition to the fact that spring & loop action geometry just never makes for a nice-feeling action in my experience, it's often the case that such very old overdamper actions have terribly brittle parts that start to break as soon as you do anything.

But birdcage pianos were made as late as 1954 in the UK, and of the later ones, I don't think I can agree about the degree of difficulty. In birdcage actions, for example, it is very easy and quick to tighten both the wippen and the hammer flange screws as they are on the same side of the action rail. The damper flange screws are on the same side too, if it comes to that. And of course it's the work of only a moment to remove the action to carry out any work on it. The damping certainly doesn't work as well on such actions, though, and it's difficult to regulate the overdampers.

Best regards,

David
http://www.davidboyce.co.uk/birdcage-pianos.php

Edited by David Boyce (02/27/13 11:47 AM)

#2040249 - 02/27/13 03:32 PM Re: regulate and voice a drop action [Re: David Boyce]
Herr Weiss Offline

Loc: New York, N.Y.
Ah,good to see that good manners is still alive in Scotland.
A Gentleman indeed.

#2040285 - 02/27/13 04:35 PM Re: regulate and voice a drop action [Re: Toni Goldener]
David Boyce Offline

Why thank you Herr Weiss! One does one's poor best! (Shuffles feet and looks shyly up from eyes modestly downcast....)

P.S. My own piano is a Weissbrod.

#2040336 - 02/27/13 06:28 PM Re: regulate and voice a drop action [Re: David Boyce]
Herr Weiss Offline

Thank you, Mr.Boyce for a graceously prompt reply. I can see that you were raised very well.

Like he said before, he has given us 30+ years of his personal
knowledge, asking nothing in return; we benificiaries should be
forever grateful. Not that there aren't others who also help us
in our learning process, but what more can I say, the man is
Special.

And if he ever decides to get into the piano making business,
I guess we both would love to have a Bremmer in our homes.

Herr Weiss

#2040360 - 02/27/13 07:35 PM Re: regulate and voice a drop action [Re: Toni Goldener]
Phil D Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: London, England
That's a really comprehensive look at overdamper pianos David, thanks for that!

My favourite overdamper that I've seen was one with a left shift pedal. It was german, and the mechanism no longer worked, but it looked like it would have been effective. The plate cracked as soon as i started tuning it, unfortunately!

#2040365 - 02/27/13 07:56 PM Re: regulate and voice a drop action [Re: Toni Goldener]
David Boyce Offline

Oh what a shame about the plate cracking, Phil! I have very occasionally come across an overdamper piano with a left shift pedal. Maybe only once or twice, and it's a long time since I saw one. I will make sure to get photos if I ever see another. I'm on a mission nowadays to document things! It annoys me that many years ago I encountered an old spinet-height piano with tuning pins at the BACK of the pinblock, facing away from the player/tuner, and I never got any photos.

Best regards,

David.
http://www.davidboyce.co.uk/birdcage-pianos.php

#2041243 - 03/01/13 08:45 AM Re: regulate and voice a drop action [Re: Toni Goldener]
Toni Goldener Offline

Loc: Switzerland
Now, short before my weekend (only one tuning left), I find some time to thank you all for your help on my Spinet revision.
That was my first regulation on a spinet piano, but uprights and grands I did already many of them. So that's why I asked for your help, because I have heard before, that you can loose hours of putting back the action because of these fingers.

It was ( and still is) a Knight spinet (England) from 1965, the hammers were replaced a few years ago with a new set of hammers by Abel. Good quality hammer, but I think, they were not really good prevoiced, so the harshness of this piano. After regulating, a pitch raise, a fine tuning and voicing, my wrist hurts quiet a little bit, but it sounded, thank god, better than before. I you like, you can listen to the audio file:

http://snd.sc/Z2dFmD

The action contains three parts: One rail with wooden capstains, I could remove it without problems and put back too, a second one with these stickers and the third one with the hammers and wippens etc. see the pictures, made with my Ipodtouch.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/81qt0zj070a7n89/MoRBXLRjtF

Once again, thanks for all your help!! THat is very great in this piano forum.
Have a good weekend

Toni
Phone: +41 77 420 55 65

#2042288 - 03/03/13 11:42 AM Re: regulate and voice a drop action [Re: Toni Goldener]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
Wow, Toni! What a lovely sounding spinet! Nicely done! thumb

--Andy

#2042369 - 03/03/13 02:21 PM Re: regulate and voice a drop action [Re: Cinnamonbear]
David Boyce Offline

Wow indeed! Well done you! I hope your customer is suitably pleased and impressed!

#2042399 - 03/03/13 03:52 PM Re: regulate and voice a drop action [Re: Toni Goldener]
Herr Weiss Offline

@Mr.Goldener: Your spinet puts my humble, American made Weser spinet,which I bought brand new in 1972, to shame.
There is no comparison, my sounds more like a toy-piano.
The difference I reckon is in Craftsmanship. The Knight is visually pleasing as well; a work of Art.

Whilst my spinet, was made in an assembly line, to be sold to
ignorant customers, who do not know the first thing about pianos.

#2042421 - 03/03/13 04:38 PM Re: regulate and voice a drop action [Re: Toni Goldener]
David Boyce Offline

Knight pianos were quite sturdy, decent instruments. They sold a lot to Schools. The 1970s ones have a tendency now to sound hard as nails. But I came across one last week that were pretty good.

#2042462 - 03/03/13 05:54 PM Re: regulate and voice a drop action [Re: David Boyce]
Herr Weiss Offline

@Mr.Boyce: Hello again and thank you for the additional info.
I see now, more clearly than before, that, there are pianos and then, there are PIANOS.
As a newbie I want to study daily; to raise the bar and not stay
stagnant. I will 'dissect' my piano to learn all the pros and cons of Spinets. Already know that it is much easier to get the action out than to put it back, as precision comes into play;
so all the parts are synchronized like a fine watch.
Tuning them is another story, haha.
Cheers, H.W.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
143 registered (36251, AmateurBob, AndresD, ajames, 42 invisible), 1635 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156334 Topics
2296050 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
High school student questions..
by lavienrose16
08/01/14 10:38 AM
August Piano Bar, drinks on the house
by Peyton
08/01/14 09:40 AM
I just read this at the Yamaha FAQ website
by BrianDX
08/01/14 09:21 AM
Schimmel DUO piano
by wimpiano
08/01/14 08:56 AM
Feurich 190 cm grand from 1920 - Is it any good?
by pinkfloydhomer
08/01/14 08:16 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission