Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2034937 - 02/17/13 07:26 PM Re: Piano Software Plug-in Sound Survey [Re: o0Ampy0o]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
What surprised me is that four of my top five choices were variations of The Giant.
I have The Giant and I like it somewhat, but it has a plunky sound so I don't use it much.
Now I think I'm going to try your chosen presets, especially the Vibrant preset.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2035115 - 02/18/13 04:50 AM Re: Piano Software Plug-in Sound Survey [Re: o0Ampy0o]
Hookxs Offline

Loc: Czech Republic
My results (before reading the revealation and other people's comments):

Best five: DFK NB (DFK being the best, in no particular order, followed by NB in no particular order). But the distinction is difficult to make.
I also liked: CL
Worst: Q (along with AORHM... to many to choose from).

I did the test twice with about a week apart to "forget the results" and while the result was sligtly different, I was basically consistent with my lineup.

Side note: I downloaded and tried PianoOne (as suggested somewhere in the thread) and I was SUPER unimpressed. I believe the next discussion about playability could be resolved by simply by pointing out this software. It sounds good "one paper", yes. I like that it's free, of course.

Now I'm going to read the "correct answers", looking forward to it:-)

#2035121 - 02/18/13 05:42 AM Re: Piano Software Plug-in Sound Survey [Re: MacMacMac]
Marco M Offline

Loc: Europe
I have a GIANT in my top favorite list, and in my list of the worst as well.

I will listen again to the samples, this time having in mind what others preferred. Maybe I will get my ear accustomed a little bit better towards the kind of mainstream taste. Could be interesting to know for the case that I once would play for audience...
before playing Drums in adults bluesband on handpicked set; before crashing E-Guitar in kids garage band; raised on home entertainment Organ and Keyboard models Eminent Solina P240, Farfisa Maharani 259R, Technics KN800, and on Mouth Organ, Recorder and Accordion

#2035128 - 02/18/13 06:54 AM Re: Piano Software Plug-in Sound Survey [Re: o0Ampy0o]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Since you we're ready to reveal the names of the candidates anyway in the end, I don't know what the purpose or value of this test is supposed to be, other than some fun hours comparing the sequenced samples for the interested ones. The sounds we're tweaked, layered with other products and processed. Hard to give an unbiased judgement about them, apart for the really poor and very best ones. Exactly what I was afraid of earlier on.

When you are entering product names into the equation, why not do a fair and more scientific test with a broad range of different types of piano passages and playing styles and all instruments with their best grand preset without alterations (usually the fist grand preset) ?! Of course recorded in the same way at the same level. With acoustic effects (reverb!) turned off to be most neutral. That would be more useful for people trying to form an opinion on the different AP simulations available. You already created a workflow and platform to set up something like this - so perhaps it could be a next , IMHO , more useful implementation of your initiative.

#2035488 - 02/18/13 08:53 PM Re: Piano Software Plug-in Sound Survey [Re: o0Ampy0o]
o0Ampy0o Offline

I incorrectly identified a sound source file and have edited the "revealed" posts.

As for the point of this survey, it was intended to be fun.

BTW, after editing the two "revealed" posts I noticed that HalionSonic was not the only pairing of the same software. I thought of Imperfect Samples as two different pianos but there is a paring of The Giant with different presets also. Oh well...

#2035503 - 02/18/13 09:24 PM Re: Piano Software Plug-in Sound Survey [Re: o0Ampy0o]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Ahh, that makes more sense. Galaxy Vintage D for the win again.

I was very, very surprised when I saw that garageband + pianoteq was the general favorite.

Edited by gvfarns (02/18/13 09:25 PM)

#2035670 - 02/19/13 05:42 AM Re: Piano Software Plug-in Sound Survey [Re: gvfarns]
36251 Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: gvfarns
Ahh, that makes more sense. Galaxy Vintage D for the win again.

I was very, very surprised when I saw that garageband + pianoteq was the general favorite.
3hearts

#2035694 - 02/19/13 07:37 AM Re: Piano Software Plug-in Sound Survey [Re: o0Ampy0o]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Well, imagine my shock at seeing a Garageband/Pianoteq blend at the top of the list. My ears could not believe what my eyes were reading. ... until you corrected it. Now it makes sense. Vintage D and some of the Giant presets topped my list. (I own both.)

The Vintage is no surprise as a list topper. The Giant was a surprise, though. I'll have to try some of those alternate Giant presets one of these days.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is this a real Steinway?
by chernobieff
10/21/14 11:51 PM
DGX-650 TOPIC
by Jtreimer
10/21/14 11:24 PM
Janko keyboard video
by Michael Sayers
10/21/14 08:28 PM
RECOVERING PIANO HAMMERS
by Steinway K
10/21/14 07:31 PM
Help with forum for Musette in D Major...
by ieatglitter14
10/21/14 05:27 PM
Who's Online
115 registered (anadyr21, accordeur, 36251, A Guy, 31 invisible), 1281 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76610 Members
42 Forums
158405 Topics
2326236 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission