2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Carey, AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, booms, 6 invisible), 1,871 guests, and 262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I suspect if we all had a few shots of whisky, EVERYTHING would sound just . . . . fine! Always does . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
A
A
Finally submitted a decent recording. I've been working on the hard part for weeks (not exclusively) and always messed it up in earlier attempts. Only... now I got some wrong notes in an easy part. Might try for a better recording during this week, but I fear it will take months before I'll play the hard part "always right". It can get so frustrating.

So, the piece was in last month's recital. This is a different version though; hopefully you guys don't mind smile

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
OK, I'm in ... not with the planned first movement of the Moonlight Sonata ():), but still: in.

Since I don't have a piano at my own apartment right now, it has proven tricky to find empty rooms to play in where I can afford to do several takes in a row of a seven-minute recital piece (because, unfortunately, I haven't quite gotten to the level of confidence that I need to do a single take of the Moonlight, and be done with it).

I will be doing the Moonlight (probably movements one and two) for my in-class recital in April, though. By then I will also have a grand piano at home, so for sure, Moonlight will be ready for the next ABF recital!

This little Haydn piece I ended up submitting was the first one I learned after deciding to get back in the saddle last September. The end result is a little disappointing (I should really be able to play it more cleanly, and with better dynamics, than this!), but perfect is the enemy of good (enough). Remembering that mantra is the only way I will ever be able to participate in the ABF recital. Because when I play a piece in a live recital and it has a few mistakes or hesitations, but is otherwise pretty decent, people will be left with the impression that I played pretty decently, and forget about the other stuff rather quickly (unless the flubs were super-obvious). Here, though, it's a recording. People can listen to it over and over again, should they so choose. That's an entirely different bag of chips!

However, I had promised myself I would participate in this recital, and now I did. Another one of my goals has been met.

Plodding through piano music at a frustratingly slow pace since 9/2012.

Standard disclaimer: I teach many things. Piano is not one of them.

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Allard, it will be interesting to compare the two versions!

Saranoya, I get what you are saying about the live performance versus the recorded one - but I doubt anyone relistens to any of the recital pieces with the purpose of picking out the flubs.
Everyone who listens truly does understand what the red dot jinx is all about ---hey, do you even know about the
Order of the Red Dot ? smile

Even if folks do go back to listen (and, yes, it does happen) it will be to see how much you've come along between recitals, or maybe someone with less experience will follow the score and listen to you - they'll still appreciate your performance.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Saranoya
This little Haydn piece I ended up submitting was the first one I learned after deciding to get back in the saddle last September. The end result is a little disappointing (I should really be able to play it more cleanly, and with better dynamics, than this!), but perfect is the enemy of good (enough). Remembering that mantra is the only way I will ever be able to participate in the ABF recital.

And and and...?

When/where/how did you record it? After hearing about your practice adventures in AOTW, I'm dying to know! smile

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Thank you, Cas! Your words are very encouraging. And the Order of the Red Dot is rather cute laugh.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by aTallGuyNH

And and and...?

When/where/how did you record it? After hearing about your practice adventures in AOTW, I'm dying to know! smile

For you, TallGuy, and for anyone else who might be curious, here are the comments I wrote on the submission form:

Well ... I was planning on submitting the first movement of the Moonlight Sonata, as some of you may know. But as some of you may also know, I am currently without a piano at home, and quiet times are hard to come by at the pub where I'm now doing most of my playing -- especially in seven-minute stretches. So, alas. Moonlight will have to wait until after I've moved into my currently still under-construction new apartment.

I recorded this during a brief lull in the action at the pub, when there were only two other people in the room (one of whom was the bartender). Even so, you will notice significant background noise. I apologize.

This was the first piece I learned after getting back to playing the piano in September. Nothing like listening over and over to a recording of yourself to expose all of the little imperfections in your playing (and here I thought I'd moved beyond this level!), but all in all, I think it's not so bad.

I skipped lunch, by the way. Dinner was leftover fries with beef stew, which I got from the bartender when she couldn't finish hers.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

And and and...?

For you, TallGuy, and for anyone else who might be curious, here are the comments I wrote on the submission form:

Oh good... I can sleep now. smile

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thank you, Cas! Your words are very encouraging. And the Order of the Red Dot is rather cute laugh.

She's so darn encouraging, there's a rumor going about that she just might be a "bot", created to roam around PW and make people feel good about themselves, regardless of whether they truly have anything worthy of feeling good about or not. She/it even PMs people to be encouraging. Amazing technology... I mean, a real person couldn't possibly be so consistently nice and supportive. Right? laugh

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I recorded this during a brief lull in the action at the pub, when there were only two other people in the room (one of whom was the bartender). Even so, you will notice significant background noise. I apologize.

Saranoya, what a great venue to record at! It would be perfect for recording pieces for the ABF Piano Bar by the way... smile

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
It seems like a great line-up of pieces this time too!

The piece I submitted is a fun piece and very different from what I have done here before. Our youngest son loves to sing along whenever I play this piece. smile

I came across the piece for the first time during the holidays and it was love at first listening so to speak. But I was quite disappointed when I learned that the sheet music was not available anywhere. In fact, the song has never even been released on CD (heard it on TV)... I quickly turned to YouTube and same thing again, I could not find anything...The song is only about a year old but still... As a result, I decided to try to transcribe it on my own. I had a blast doing it (and entering it into MuseScore) and I learned a lot at the same time.

My piano channel on YouTube: Link

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Amaruk, you have picqued my curiosity - and that of many others, I'm sure. Good thing we don't have long to wait.

ATallGuy....:) Bots don't know how to respond to such positive feedback.....we are not programmed for this. Let's just say, what goes around comes around --- in one form or another, and when you least expect it.

Looking forward to Friday! ...but darn! I'm working most of the day....It will be a super-music weekend though, won't it?

[Linked Image]

A
A
Isn't every weekend super-music weekend? smile

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Allard
Isn't every weekend super-music weekend? smile

Well, ..... there's weekend football and there's the Superbowl.
There's Saturday baseball and there's the World Series.

How very very odd for me to make sports analogies.

[Linked Image]

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
OK, everybody move up one. I resubmitted and dropped to #45. I also played the whole thing faster and took a minute off the recording! I realized while listening to it that it was painfully slow. I guess I was being too cautious. On the other hand, a faster tempo equals more mistakes...

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by Sam S
OK, everybody move up one. I resubmitted and dropped to #45. I also played the whole thing faster and took a minute off the recording! I realized while listening to it that it was painfully slow. I guess I was being too cautious. On the other hand, a faster tempo equals more mistakes...

Sam

Nice. I think you can get the recording you want by F. I thought about doing it but decided not to. My work is crazy busy and I have to prepare for my Piano party this weekend. It will be attended by PW members! Next time. I will be better someday.

Casinitaly "Looking forward to Friday! "

Is that when it all starts? I better get the beer in...

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by peterws

That's right Peter - the recital goes live on 15 Feb! woohoo!
I think I'll start my listening with coffee, then move on to Prosecco later in the day smile

[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by casinitaly

I think I'll start my listening with coffee, then move on to Prosecco later in the day smile

Depends on where you are though. In the USA it will be 2/14.

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by casinitaly

Depends on where you are though. In the USA it will be 2/14.

Just checked the timer to see if it's correct this time - last time it had DST problems. The timer runs out when submissions close, and some time after that the recital goes live - it takes time for hard-working Monica to process everything and make the recital posts. There is no set time for it to go live...

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission