Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2031255 - 02/11/13 03:50 PM Paris Amateur Competition 2013
pianovirus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Basel, Switzerland
Piano Friends,

If I'm not mistaken it's less than two weeks until the Paris Competition for this year will take place. And no thread about it on PW? Well, I searched and could not find one.

Like last year, I'm not participating. But nevertheless I would be very interested to hear some "insider" smile stories about it from participants before and during the competition.

So I wonder, like in previous years, will there be some participation from PW members? What are you guys playing?! Everyone well prepared?? laugh To all those who are now in their final preparation stage: best of luck, and most importantly: Have fun!

Cheers,
pianovirus

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2031391 - 02/11/13 05:33 PM Re: Paris Amateur Competition 2013 [Re: pianovirus]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
I'm not going either, and I wouldn't be surprised if none of our active members are since it doesn't seem like anybody has said anything. I'll also be interested to hear news about it from anyone who can share.

#2031483 - 02/11/13 09:08 PM Re: Paris Amateur Competition 2013 [Re: Mark_C]
pianovirus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark_C
I'm not going either, and I wouldn't be surprised if none of our active members are since it doesn't seem like anybody has said anything. I'll also be interested to hear news about it from anyone who can share.

Wow, so if none of the participants would hang out in piano forum, they must all be practising diligently.

Scary thought! shocked laugh

#2031499 - 02/11/13 10:14 PM Re: Paris Amateur Competition 2013 [Re: pianovirus]
musica71 Offline

Loc: Bend, Or.

I know Fuzzy 8 Balls (??) is going.

#2031824 - 02/12/13 12:44 PM Re: Paris Amateur Competition 2013 [Re: musica71]
pianovirus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: musica71

I know Fuzzy 8 Balls (??) is going.

Thanks, musica! I hope Gorden (hopefully joined by some other participants) will share some of his experiences with us like in the previous year (or was it already the year before that? I lost track...)

In any case, my bet is he'll be a likely candidate for the finals...if not more.

#2031825 - 02/12/13 12:45 PM Re: Paris Amateur Competition 2013 [Re: pianovirus]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: pianovirus
....(or was it already the year before that? I lost track...)

I did too. ha

Quote:
In any case, my bet is he'll be a likely candidate for the finals...if not more.

+1!

#2031832 - 02/12/13 12:59 PM Re: Paris Amateur Competition 2013 [Re: pianovirus]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
For those of us who are relative newcomers, could someone please provide some information about this competition?

More generally, I'm not sure what an "amateur" piano competition is and what types of players enter one.

I'm guessing that these are very, very skilled players, but where and how is the line between "amateur" and "unrecognized professional" drawn?

I'm not nearly far enough into my 10,000-hour-until-mastery program to consider entering, but I wonder what types of musicians do.

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#2031865 - 02/12/13 01:57 PM Re: Paris Amateur Competition 2013 [Re: ClsscLib]
Hakki Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ClsscLib
but I wonder what types of musicians do.

All members in this thread including me and fuzzy.

A brief search will take you to past competitions and discussion about amateurism.

Edited by Hakki (02/12/13 02:01 PM)

http://www.youtube.com/user/hakkithepianist

#2031898 - 02/12/13 02:47 PM Re: Paris Amateur Competition 2013 [Re: pianovirus]
fuzzy8balls Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Yep I'm going... and I've prepared only 30 minutes of repertoire this time.

Beethoven Piano Sonata Op. 14 No. 1
Bach Prelude & Fugue in e-flat minor Book1
Prokofiev Romeo & Juliet: Juliet, Mercutio, Montague & Capulets

-Gorden

#2031974 - 02/12/13 04:33 PM Re: Paris Amateur Competition 2013 [Re: pianovirus]
Damon Online   happy
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
I'm going to skip the Paris this year.

#2032046 - 02/12/13 06:41 PM Re: Paris Amateur Competition 2013 [Re: Damon]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: Damon

.....but we expect to see you at the CHOPIN in a couple of years. ha

#2032056 - 02/12/13 06:52 PM Re: Paris Amateur Competition 2013 [Re: Mark_C]
pianovirus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Ok so I guess there will be a big PW reunion in Warsaw (in 2015 I think?). Count me in! smile

#2032057 - 02/12/13 06:55 PM Re: Paris Amateur Competition 2013 [Re: Mark_C]
Damon Online   happy
6000 Post Club Member

If they have a sub-amateur Liszt competition in Missouri, I'll consider entering. I don't travel well.

#2032105 - 02/12/13 08:38 PM Re: Paris Amateur Competition 2013 [Re: Damon]
Mark_C Offline

If they have a sub-amateur Liszt competition in Missouri, I'll consider entering. I don't travel well.

No, I said CHOPIN! grin

BTW I think you'd have to be in the super-sub-amateur division....

#2032107 - 02/12/13 08:49 PM Re: Paris Amateur Competition 2013 [Re: ClsscLib]
Mark_C Offline

For those of us who are relative newcomers, could someone please provide some information about this competition?

More generally, I'm not sure what an "amateur" piano competition is and what types of players enter one.

I'm guessing that these are very, very skilled players, but where and how is the line between "amateur" and "unrecognized professional" drawn?....

Hey folks, why shouldn't we give him more of an answer right here....

Your guess about the level of the players is right, although there's a fair range within any given event and from one event to another. To be admitted to some of them, like the Cliburn, you have to be real good. How good is that? Let's say, good enough that it wouldn't be insane to think of becoming a professional. I mean, it would be insane for most of us to actually do it ha but....you get the idea. For some of the competitions, it's OK to give it a try if you're at least what I'd call upper-level-intermediate.

Some of the people in these events are really at a professional or near-professional level, and some of them have advanced degrees in piano and in some cases have actually been professionals in the past, which of course raises legitimate questions about whether they're really amateurs. The people who win are usually from that highest group.

For anyone wondering if they're ready to enter one of these events, more important than how far you are above "upper intermediate" is that your pieces should be extremely well-prepared and that you be very comfortable with them. The repertoire requirements are very flexible. Basically you can play whatever you want.

Maybe we'll be seeing you at some of the events!

#2032132 - 02/12/13 09:26 PM Re: Paris Amateur Competition 2013 [Re: Mark_C]
Damon Online   happy
6000 Post Club Member

That wasn't very nice.

#2032145 - 02/12/13 09:56 PM Re: Paris Amateur Competition 2013 [Re: Damon]
Mark_C Offline

That wasn't very nice.

grin

(I trust that you knew what I meant!) smile

#2032170 - 02/12/13 10:42 PM Re: Paris Amateur Competition 2013 [Re: Mark_C]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.

I'm guessing that these are very, very skilled players, but where and how is the line between "amateur" and "unrecognized professional" drawn?....

Hey folks, why shouldn't we give him more of an answer right here....

Your guess about the level of the players is right, although there's a fair range within any given event and from one event to another. To be admitted to some of them, like the Cliburn, you have to be real good. How good is that? Let's say, good enough that it wouldn't be insane to think of becoming a professional. I mean, it would be insane for most of us to actually do it ha but....you get the idea. For some of the competitions, it's OK to give it a try if you're at least what I'd call upper-level-intermediate. Some of the people in these events are really at a professional or near-professional level, and some of them have advanced degrees in piano and in some cases have actually been professionals in the past, which of course raises legitimate questions about whether they're really amateurs. The people who win are usually from that highest group.

For anyone wondering if they're ready to enter one of these events, more important than how far you are above "upper intermediate" is that your pieces should be extremely well-prepared and that you be very comfortable with them. The repertoire requirements are very flexible. Basically you can play whatever you want.

Maybe we'll be seeing you at some of the events!

Thanks, Mark -- very informative explanation.

If you indeed see me at one of these competitions, it's likely to be in the audience, but that's okay too. I'd love to watch some of you folks play!

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#2032246 - 02/13/13 02:34 AM Re: Paris Amateur Competition 2013 [Re: pianovirus]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
I seriously considered to sign on for the "Pianobridge" competition in St.Petersburg (Russia) this summer. The reason was that I was offered early retirement from my employer, and would have ample time to practice.

This competition has separate classes for participants with or without a diploma, and this was one of the reasons why this competition sounded interesting for me (holding no diploma).

I managed, however, to find a new full time job, and therefore I decided to skip the competition. I would have invested some 500 hours preparing and this is out of question now. Maybe 5 - 10 years.

#2032855 - 02/14/13 04:17 AM Re: Paris Amateur Competition 2013 [Re: pianovirus]
Nigel Keay Offline

Loc: Paris
For the final on Sunday 24th it seems there's only one ticket price of €25; that's obviously planning for a very high standard or a very long concert...
Anyway if anyone going is wondering what to do on the Saturday evening before, I've got a new Oboe Sonata that'll be premiered in a recital at Cité des Arts, a central venue (short walk from Notre Dame).

#2036992 - 02/21/13 02:07 PM Re: Paris Amateur Competition 2013 [Re: pianovirus]
pianovirus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Breaking news: laugh

I hear from well-informed sources that Gorden has advanced! Way to go!!!

But apparently the selection was for "quarter finals", which is a Paris specialty: an intermediate round for candidates that the jury liked but wants to hear again before selecting some of them for the semifinals. Candidates can also be selected directly from first round to semifinals.

Having heard Gorden before, I would have expected him to move directly to semifinals. So it seems to me there must be lots of very good amateur pianists in Paris this year?? shocked

I hope everyone is having fun there!

P.S. Nigel, best wishes for the premiere of your Oboe sonata!

Edited by pianovirus (02/21/13 02:08 PM)
Edit Reason: oboe :)

#2036995 - 02/21/13 02:21 PM Re: Paris Amateur Competition 2013 [Re: pianovirus]
Mark_C Offline

Yes -- as you know, the "quarter-finals" is sort of a purgatory. grin

When the results of the 1st round are announced, they say the quarter-finalists first, before the ones who are going directly to the semi-finals. So, it's odd because you don't really want to hear your name announced, even if not being in the 1/4-finals means you won't be advancing at all. This result could mean what you said, or that Gorden had an off-day, or just that his style and approach weren't to the liking of one or more of the judges. But it's worth remembering that people from the quarter-finals have often wound up advancing to the finals and sometimes even won. I was there one time when the eventual winner almost didn't even make the quarter-finals. He had made what I thought was for him a poor repertoire choice for the 1st round (last mvt of Prokofiev 7th), played it aggressively and without much regard to the small room (and also got sort of lost for a while), and wasn't even on the initial list of people who advanced at all, but the judges thought for a few seconds more and figured what the heck. He wound up winning -- probably because they sort of wouldn't let him play the Prokofiev sonata in the finals even though he really really wanted to. ha

Gorden's not being put directly in the semi-finals could also be partly because of some issues of his first time in that event (when he did make the finals), things that weren't directly about how he played. He disagreed that it was any issue for anything, but I thought it probably was, and it might still be. That competition has its quirks. The issue (as I saw it) was mainly about that thing of deciding the repertoire for the finals. If he advances to the finals, look for them to try to be very strong to him about what he 'should' play, and he may well not like it. I sure wouldn't have in my 'younger days.' smile

#2037007 - 02/21/13 02:40 PM Re: Paris Amateur Competition 2013 [Re: pianovirus]
pianoloverus Offline

Loc: New York City
It makes much more sense I think for any competition to lay out the repertoire requirements for each round in advance and then leave the rest to the competitors. It's somewhat arrogant for the judges to decide anything about which pieces a contestant should play for any reason.

Does any other competition, professional or amateur, do this?

Edited by pianoloverus (02/21/13 02:41 PM)

#2037009 - 02/21/13 02:45 PM Re: Paris Amateur Competition 2013 [Re: pianoloverus]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
Does any other competition, professional or amateur, do this?

Certainly no other amateur competition, and none at all that I know of.

#2037019 - 02/21/13 03:00 PM Re: Paris Amateur Competition 2013 [Re: pianovirus]
musica71 Offline

Last year the winner Piers-Smith advanced to the quarter finals...then with his showy style ended up winning!

#2037073 - 02/21/13 04:55 PM Re: Paris Amateur Competition 2013 [Re: pianovirus]
musica71 Offline

Paris Semi Finalists...Bach, Bedon, Carpentier, Jubin, Maulide, Matzener, Prat. 2 openings that will be filled by Qtr Finalists. Courtesy of Peter Bishpam.

#2037080 - 02/21/13 05:03 PM Re: Paris Amateur Competition 2013 [Re: musica71]
pianovirus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks, musica!!

Originally Posted By: musica71
Bach

Oh what a lucky person to be born in such a family!!! laugh

I hope he or she will not choose to play "Bach-hyphenated" in the semifinals laugh --something which is allowed instead of "pure" Bach in Paris, which I don't really consider a good thing because the romantic transcriptions require such different skills...

#2037191 - 02/21/13 08:02 PM Re: Paris Amateur Competition 2013 [Re: pianovirus]
Mark_C Offline

I'm pretty sure the "2 openings to be filled" by quarter-finalists is just a guess. Judging from my past experience there, it could be some other number, and usually is MORE.

Do we know if the 'Bach' person really is from that family?

BTW, I happen to know someone who is, and she says that most of the other family members that she knows don't think it's much of a big deal because they're more into rock and rap and stuff like that. crazy

#2037201 - 02/21/13 08:19 PM Re: Paris Amateur Competition 2013 [Re: Mark_C]
beet31425 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA

Well, at least I'm from the same species as Bach, which, at a cosmic level, is pretty significant.

-J

#2037259 - 02/21/13 11:10 PM Re: Paris Amateur Competition 2013 [Re: beet31425]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: beet31425

Well, at least I'm from the same species as Bach, which, at a cosmic level, is pretty significant.

I don't think I am. ha

BTW, in college I invented a mnemonic for remembering the categories of living things. I should copyright it some time. grin

Probably the inspiration was the condition of the house I shared with a bunch of other guys.

K(ingdom)ITCHEN
P(hylum)ESTS
C(lass)AN
O(rder)OZE
F(amily)ROM
G(enus)OOKY
S(pecies)TOVES

To this day, it's the only way I can remember them. Not that I need it for anything, but what the hey. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
128 registered (AndrewJCW, BarryR, Almaviva, ajames, 42 invisible), 1414 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75890 Members
42 Forums
156821 Topics
2304262 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Need help with a piano purchase
by Freece65
08/20/14 09:55 PM
Just Tuned a Kawai 5'10" Grand Piano KG-2E
by Paul678
08/20/14 09:51 PM
Yamaha NU1 or Roland HP508
by francis0423
08/20/14 09:12 PM
How Much Can I Sell My Kawai KG-3C?
by barryman9000
08/20/14 07:38 PM
Chord changes to 'Sixty Years On'
by Visalia
08/20/14 06:43 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission