2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
55 members (anotherscott, 20/20 Vision, 36251, bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 8 invisible), 1,394 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
flash45 Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Hi everyone,
Just wondering if there is a significant difference between a new steinway A (6'2)
And a "golden age" A2 (6'2) complete rebuild. I've read that the long A (6'4.5) was the best design of the A's. Yet when steinway brought the model back it's the 6'2 size.

Thanks

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
The "big" A is another level better than the older designs. Many pianists find them nearly as satisfying as a model B. All model A's can benefit from a set of wound strings designed with a more even elongation than the factory specs. The result is clear tone to the bottom note and less hoots when you play loudly.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by flash45
Hi everyone,
Just wondering if there is a significant difference between a new steinway A (6'2)
And a "golden age" A2 (6'2) complete rebuild. I've read that the long A (6'4.5) was the best design of the A's. Yet when steinway brought the model back it's the 6'2 size.

Steinway didn't so much "bring back" the Model A as bring it over. It has been produced in Hamburg right along

The long A is a much better piano but it is too close to the B to be comfortable.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
J
J
Del,

What do you mean by to close to the B to make it comfortable?

Jonathan

D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Jonathan Alford
Del,

What do you mean by to close to the B to make it comfortable?

It was a shorter piano therefore it had to be priced lower than a B. But its performance was very close to that of the B.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
ddfandrich@gmail.com

F
flash45 Offline OP
OP Offline
F
That makes sense but just recently I visited the steinway dealer here in Canada (toronto) and the list price for a new A and B were the same. The salesman said that there was very little diference between the two in terms of the soundboard. The shape of the A being wide at the back. He didn't say anything about the string length though

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
I've never seen a new A priced higher than a new B. What prices were you quoted and what is the name of this dealer? OR was the A case a fancy wood one?

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
F
flash45 Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Hi Ed, this store is called steinway gallery, it'S THE AUTHORIZED DEALER here. Both pianos were standard black 90,000 for A or B

D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by flash45
That makes sense but just recently I visited the steinway dealer here in Canada (toronto) and the list price for a new A and B were the same. The salesman said that there was very little diference between the two in terms of the soundboard. The shape of the A being wide at the back. He didn't say anything about the string length though

There are similarities between the old, longer Model A (out of production for years) and the Model B. The differences between the current Model A and the Model B are substantial. I would suggest the salesman was not being entirely forthright.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
ddfandrich@gmail.com

S
S
Either this was simply a mistake on the part of the representative, or there is an issue related to the finish. It is true that our published New York retail price on the model "A" in certain natural wood finishes is higher than that of a model "B" in the standard satin ebony finish.

But if both were in the same finish, then this was a mistake.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Del
...I would suggest the salesman was not being entirely forthright....
I would not infer improper intent. I think it is safe to assume that this salesperson - like so many - simply does not know of what he speaks.
Originally Posted by song painter
...It is true that our published New York retail price on the model "A" in certain natural wood finishes is higher than that of a model "B" in the standard satin ebony finish....
"Our" price? Are you a Steinway dealer? If so, please abide by the recognized rules here and identify your self as an industry professional in your signature line. Thanks.

JG
Sorry about that, everyone - the "anonymous" nature of my earlier post was not intentional. I thought I was posting as "Bob S" - which is the only way I have posted now for several years. Clearly the logon and password info is too similar!

When I first joined pianoworld quite a few years ago, I did so as simply a person who loves pianos because I felt (correctly) that my identity would do nothing but make it impossible for many people to interact with me objectively. But - after a brief amount of time, I made the easy decision to join as myself - which is the only way I've posted now for the past several years (feel free to do a search if you are skeptical).

I have always tried to be reasoned and objective in my posts, and will generally stay out of the fray when things get intense. Frankly, it is difficult at times because the other forum in particular has such a profoundly institutionalized anti-Steinway bias. But - I choose to not enter the arena when the mud starts flying around. I do not spend much time at all in this forum, because I am not a technician; the reason I came today is that it showed up on my alerts... so I thought it would be a very easy item for which I could provide objective, verifiable information.

So - no, I am not a dealer. I am a Steinway & Sons employee, beginning my 32nd year of association with the company. That's the reason I used the word "our" in reference to the published New York Retail price list.

There are several folks here who know me personally - and who, I believe, will confirm that I am someone who does not play games.

so there you have it!

In the meantime, I did contact the manager of the Toronto store; he is puzzled by what was said as to the B vs. A pricing as well, as this does not reflect the store's pricing on the two instruments.

Bottom line, in equal finishes, the A has a retail price that is less than the B !

Fully confident that this is much more of an answer than just about any of you wanted, I wish you all my best!

Bob Snyder
Senior District Manager
Steinway & Sons

rsnyder@steinway.com
www.steinway.com
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the excellent clarification of the various questions!

JG
I do not know where you are on Vancouver Island - but one of my happiest summers ever was on a little island across from Campbell River - - Quadra Island - 45 years ago. This is, without any doubt, one of the most beautiful spots on this planet.

Bob Snyder
Senior District Manager
Steinway & Sons

rsnyder@steinway.com
www.steinway.com
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Bob Snyder

There are several folks here who know me personally - and who, I believe, will confirm that I am someone who does not play games.

thumb

Verhnjak Pianos
Specializing in the Restoration, Refinishing & Maintenance
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Bob Snyder
I do not know where you are on Vancouver Island - but one of my happiest summers ever was on a little island across from Campbell River - - Quadra Island - 45 years ago. This is, without any doubt, one of the most beautiful spots on this planet.
Yes, we like to think we are living very close to God's country here. Thanks.
To see my story about tuning a piano on a remote island on the west coast check out my tuning website under stories.
Tuning in Nuchatlitz

JG

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission