2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
32 members (admodios, busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 6 invisible), 1,167 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
For those who have read my recent post "Classical Piano News Story," it should not come as a shock that I am not a big believer in literal interpretation. And, this particular scene from the Kinderszenen is a good example.

The A section is no big deal, but, regarding the B section, in none of the three recordings that I have of this piece (Gieseking, Horowitz, & Moravec) can I hear anyone playing beat #2 in the left hand. Therefore, for those who have mastered this beautiful work, I would appreciate any insight you might have as to practice techniques in terms of grouping.

Currently, with the exception of measure #17, I just leave the second beat out in the left hand.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Are you stating an opinion, merely a fact of what you do, or asking our advice? FWIW, I play what's written, and so do my students, unless there's a compelling reason to do otherwise. Perhaps you don't hear the Cs because the performers are bringing out the descending melodic line and the Cs are providing supporting harmony.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
John -- exactly right.
I did a detailed reply on his same post on Pianist Corner.

R
R
I just went racing to my music for a look. Yes, hitting that C isn't the easiest, but....in the last four measures, I DO play beat 1 with thumb and third fingers, which seems to get the pinky to that C a bit faster. hth. Of course, practice it at a tempo which makes it possible to play as written.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by riley80
I just went racing to my music for a look. Yes, hitting that C isn't the easiest, ....

What on earth are you talking about? Playing the C is one of the easiest parts of playing this piece. Now the middle E in measure 16 is difficult for smaller hands, so play it with the right thumb, not left, if you need to. [Linked Image]

Although you didn't ask, I must say I'm appalled that you would hit your piano. Please don't. It's abusive and I'll have to report you to the piano police.

Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
....Although you didn't ask, I must say I'm appalled that you would hit your piano. Please don't. It's abusive and I'll have to report you to the piano police.

ha ha ha

You don't talk about "hitting" keys?
If your students say it, which I'm sure they do sometimes, what is the penalty? grin

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
You don't talk about "hitting" keys?
If your students say it, which I'm sure they do sometimes, what is the penalty? grin

Yes, we often talk about not hitting the keys. The piano is a stringed instrument which uses hammers, not bows, to generate its sound. However, you don't have to hit the hammer to engage it. When you use a hammer to nail, you swing the hammer, the hammer does the "hitting."

Recall that for nearly 100 years, composers and pianists wanted to achieve a "singing" tone out of the instrument, not a percussive sound. They experimented with many approaches to using the keys. If you haven't read Amy Fay's Music Study in Germany, do so, as it will give you great insights into the sounds the great pianists were trying to achieve.

How we use the keys is dictated by the sound you want. If you stroke a key, it doesn't descend and hit the board underneath the keys. The result is a less harsh sound. However, if you need a highly percussive sound, then very rapid descent of the key, using the boney end of your finger, will give you the desired results. Unless you're striving for theatrics, the grand slams you see many performers make is totally unnecessary. You can achieve the same fortissimo sound using body weight and combo wrists/fingers, and save yourself the opportunity of "hitting" wrongs notes at the same time, by keeping your fingers near/on the keys. Of course, there are times we need to make blind aerial attacks, but those should be minimized as much as possible.

OTOH, if you're using an electric keyboard, by all means, hit away. [Linked Image]

R
R
Sorry I said 'hit' when I probably should have said 'locate', or 'find' etc. I was thinking 'hit' as opposed to 'miss'.

Measure 16 has an E? Or did you mean meas. 12 (played with that C#)? My right thumb took on that duty long ago. I can barely stretch a 9th on a very good day.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Measure 16 has an E? Or did you mean meas. 12 (played with that C#)? My right thumb took on that duty long ago. I can barely stretch a 9th on a very good day.

That's the danger of trying to remember measure numbers from memory. Yes, you are correct, measure 12. The E, for most students, should be redistributed to the RH. Thanks for the catch.

John

Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
....Thanks for the catch.

Still waiting for the OP to thank us for the catch.... grin

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Mark, we've lost many good teachers from this forum, because they've bent over backwards to help out a student, who often should really be getting this basic stuff from their own teacher, and then the OP disappears for days, sometimes never to return. It's very frustrating and these teachers have no need to put up with such.

Well, I cannot get too upset as at the moment, KING-FM is streaming Cesar Frank's d minor symphony, and that's just one of those pieces that I find totally uplifting.

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Sorry I said 'hit' when I probably should have said 'locate', or 'find' etc. I was thinking 'hit' as opposed to 'miss'.

A bit off topic, but I was doing some engineering work on a German golf course, inspecting an irrigation well being installed, while golfers played through right past us and errant shots endangered our vehicles.

I referred to a golf shot as a shot, and was quickly corrected by the local German golf course representive. To him it was a golf hit (schlagen) rather than a golf shot (schiessen).

gotta go practice
R
R
Whew - I feel somewhat vindicated. : ))

I don't know WHY music publishers print notes like that on the bass staff when they could easily be printed on the treble. Do they think the average pianist can make that stretch? As an accompanist, I run into that all the time, so I am busy with my white out pen, and rewriting notes to other staffs.

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Whew - I feel somewhat vindicated. : ))

I don't know WHY music publishers print notes like that on the bass staff when they could easily be printed on the treble.

In handbell music, middle C# and below are always written in bass clef, but Db and above are always written on the treble.

No apparent reason, just convention.

gotta go practice

I don't know WHY music publishers print notes like that on the bass staff when they could easily be printed on the treble. Do they think the average pianist can make that stretch?

These leads to a question. Does the placement of a note in a given staff necessarily indicate which hand has to play it? I would think that you can grab a note with either hand regardless of whether it's printed in the lower or higher staff. I'm checking whether I am understanding something wrongly.

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by keystring

I don't know WHY music publishers print notes like that on the bass staff when they could easily be printed on the treble. Do they think the average pianist can make that stretch?

These leads to a question. Does the placement of a note in a given staff necessarily indicate which hand has to play it? I would think that you can grab a note with either hand regardless of whether it's printed in the lower or higher staff. I'm checking whether I am understanding something wrongly.

I have never thought so. Of course it's convenient when it works that way, especially for those of us who are less experienced.

But there are lot of times, e.g. with an SATB hymn, where it is either easier or necessary to grab a bass clef note with the right hand or a treble with the left.

I imagine method books are carefully written to separate hands on clefs for beginners.

gotta go practice
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I don't know WHY music publishers print notes like that on the bass staff when they could easily be printed on the treble. Do they think the average pianist can make that stretch? As an accompanist, I run into that all the time, so I am busy with my white out pen, and rewriting notes to other staffs.

There is a reason, and teachers should be able to explain it to students. If you go back and look at the score, you will see that this note is part of a musical line, a musical voice, which is independent of, but supporting, what the other voices are singing. For visual and musical consistency, changing staffs would lead to confusion. Printed this way, you know exactly what Schumann intended. Now, whether to play it with the left hand or right hand is a judgement call. I can reach it, and generally play it with my left hand. That way, my left thumb is in control of that particular inner voice. Switching hands means that I have to be very careful not of accent the note because my right hand is playing marginally stronger to carry the melody. You'd be surprised how many students carelessly accent notes which should not be accented.

Originally Posted by TimR
A bit off topic....

Who cares -- we've totally answered the original question, so we can talk about whatever we want. grin

....I was doing some engineering work on a German golf course, inspecting an irrigation well being installed, while golfers played through right past us and errant shots endangered our vehicles.

I referred to a golf shot as a shot, and was quickly corrected by the local German golf course representative. To him it was a golf hit (schlagen) rather than a golf shot (schiessen).

I guess it varies regionally, including within countries, but where I've played, it's different and more complex than that. smile

"Shot" is what you thought.
"Hit" is an aspect of the quality of a given shot.

It means, how well you hit the ball, in terms of solidity and true-ness of contact.
A "good hit" wouldn't necessarily be a good shot, because it might be way short or way long (due to factors of strength or judgment) or even a fair amount off-line (due to poor aiming). But a good shot would almost always also be a good hit.

Originally Posted by keystring

You're absolutely right.

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Originally Posted by TimR
A bit off topic....

Who cares -- we've totally answered the original question, so we can talk about whatever we want. grin

....I was doing some engineering work on a German golf course, inspecting an irrigation well being installed, while golfers played through right past us and errant shots endangered our vehicles.

I referred to a golf shot as a shot, and was quickly corrected by the local German golf course representative. To him it was a golf hit (schlagen) rather than a golf shot (schiessen).

I guess it varies regionally, including within countries, but where I've played, it's different and more complex than that. smile

And since we're really off topic, I'll tell a story one of the Germans told me.

He and his brother went to the Alps to test the echo on one of the peaks. His brother stayed down the path a bit to listen.

He yelled to his brother, "Schiessen oder klangeln?"
The reply was "Schiessen!"

But they heard no echo.

Again, "schiessen oder klangeln?" and again no echo. Several more times, and his brother was getting frustrated. "Schiessen! Schiessen!" he shouted.

And my friend replied, "Ich kann nicht. Ich hab kein mehr Pfeil." (I am out of arrows)

Guess you had to be there.

gotta go practice
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission