Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2031815 - 02/12/13 12:36 PM Kawai MP6 in the Studio
MycooLeeyun Offline

I'm looking to replace my Yamaha Motif XS8 with a Kawai MP6. I'm making the switch for portability and financial reasons. Can the Kawai MP6 record well in a studio setting? I love how well the Yamaha records and I don't want to give up my ability to record piano. Do you all have any other recommendations of a DP that will supply me with recording/portability capabilities while being affordable ($1000-$1600).

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#2031869 - 02/12/13 02:00 PM Re: Kawai MP6 in the Studio [Re: MycooLeeyun]
MycooLeeyun Offline

Also, how does the FP-7F compare? I really like the onboard speaker option

#2031878 - 02/12/13 02:14 PM Re: Kawai MP6 in the Studio [Re: MycooLeeyun]
Marko in Boston Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, Massachusetts
Please check out the Kawai ES7 while checking out the Roland FP7F. When I was shopping I played both extensively. Both are great but they have their difference. I loved the sound and action of the ES7 over the FP-7F. This is just in my opinion. Owned the ES7 for two months now and couldn't be happier.

#2031879 - 02/12/13 02:17 PM Re: Kawai MP6 in the Studio [Re: MycooLeeyun]
MycooLeeyun Offline

How does it hold up in the studio? I'm looking for an affordable DP that can handle a stage and a studio.

#2031889 - 02/12/13 02:37 PM Re: Kawai MP6 in the Studio [Re: MycooLeeyun]
spanishbuddha Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
I would not recommend the FP7F in a studio for mic recording, using either inbuilt speakers, or external speakers (from the line out). It may be ok recording directly from line out then doing some post processing, I just don't know. No doubt other SN fans will disagree, but the noisy key action is another factor against speaker mic recording. The RD700NX Studio piano voice is highly recommended on here (not by me I have no experience of it). Having said that the FP7F has individual note tuning capability, inbuilt 4 zone eq, and a looper which could be useful.

#2031890 - 02/12/13 02:37 PM Re: Kawai MP6 in the Studio [Re: MycooLeeyun]
JFP Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
The MP6 is a very sturdy machine; in terms of portability/stage use I regard the MP6 to be the more professional option for many take-aways, then the ES7. Kawai ES7 is a bit more classy / sleek design, but a tat heavier and IMHO more sensitive to damage if you pull it on and off stage a lot. Other than that the differences in feature set have been discussed in full length in many threads before in this forum , so I suggest you search the ES7 / MP6 topics for comparison. In Short:

MP6; stage design / masterkeyboard controller with many controls/ pedal inputs and master keyboards functionality , but a bit older sound engine and the RH keybed , which lacks a third sensor for (very) fast repetition.

ES7; portable piano design - no master keyboard functionality or controls - but build-in speakers and a bit better sound engine + RH II with third sensor. Can be extended with a nice stand and three pedal unit , which makes it almost a small home cabinet piano , but than without bulky cabinet design. Gives an indication where it's positioned in the marked as well...

Make your list and see which one fits best. They are both good in their own respect.

Edit: oh..and perhaps try the Casio PX5S when they become available and you're not in a hurry (and esthetically blind :-)

Edited by JFP (02/12/13 02:40 PM)

#2031907 - 02/12/13 03:00 PM Re: Kawai MP6 in the Studio [Re: MycooLeeyun]
MycooLeeyun Offline

Interesting.. If I were to use the FP7f for recording, it would be direct in. Thanks JFP for your quick comparison.

#2031917 - 02/12/13 03:13 PM Re: Kawai MP6 in the Studio [Re: JFP]
RBMusik Offline

Loc: Philadelphia
I've owned the MP6 for about a month. I replaced a dedicated MIDI controller with no internal sounds that had reached it's age and action limit. I wanted a controller to double as a stage piano and practice board. I've recorded the EPs and drawbars in a pro studio setting with great results... they have a really fat, warm tone especially with the amp emulation. The stereo out mains have a warmer sound than what the headphones feed your ears. Maybe my signal chain takes off some of the digital edge. The AP tones are slightly 'harsh'/dry out of the box. The amp emulation and effects (verb, tremolo, etc) on board work well. Once I started tweaking the patches A->B with some excellent software pianos, I was able to draw out some pretty inspiring sound from the AP patches. It's got an insane amount of parameters to tweak. The action is great. It's multi-pedal capable. It's a very well built and sturdy board. The powder black paint and wood sides look great, but will likely get a little scuffed up with multiple moves if you're not careful. My main uses are as a MIDI controller for film scoring and album work and at home for quiet practice. I really like the action. I like the velocity curves. You can also hit the record button, play in your style and the board will build a custom curve based on your playing. It takes a few tries, but the results are pretty good. You can store two user curves. So, I have a different curve based on playing pop versus jazz/classical stuff.

I personally did not like the Casio line... seemed very consumer-ish and plastic for my taste. Sounds were OK... not as tweakable. They're light boards with pretty good action so they'd be a descent inexpensive choice for gigging... Not my thing. Didn't like the key texture either. I'm not asking Casio folks to flame me... it's just one guys opinion.

I liked Roland boards and the AP sounds (I own an old one), but the interface on comparable choices seemed more wonky to me than the Kawai. I also like having the MP6 interface up and forward leaning, which you might like in a studio setting, especially employing it as a controller. Solid sliders, buttons and knobs on the MP6. In the end, tones will be a personal choice, but either Roland, Kawai will be good pro studio choices. I tried a few Yamaha boards, but didn't find anything in that 1500 spot that offered more than Roland/Kawai. Hope this helps.

#2031928 - 02/12/13 03:37 PM Re: Kawai MP6 in the Studio [Re: MycooLeeyun]
MycooLeeyun Offline

That helped a bunch! Thank you RBMusik. Can you explain more about "tweaking" the AP sounds. I'm mainly after a good AP sound that I can record/play live with. I'm not too savvy with tweaking and what not, but I'd like to have an idea of what you're talking about. I'm guessing the MP6 has a bunch of parameters, like you said, that can be tweaked to adjust your tone? Also, what are these "curves" you speak of? Thanks again!

#2032088 - 02/12/13 08:06 PM Re: Kawai MP6 in the Studio [Re: MycooLeeyun]
RBMusik Offline

The curves are just the way the piano responds to touch. So if you're a hard player, you can set the action to heavy and thus when you really come down on a key it won't always throw out a max volume note. It doesn't change the physical action, just how hard or soft you play it. Most boards have this... Just that a custom user touch response is a nice feature. As far as tweaking... I was able to get nice response with a few adjustments although there are many. So things like cutoff and release, I kind of leave alone. It's mostly reverb and EQ that need some adjusting. For me the sounds are a bit heavy in the mid frequency range. So you just punch the EQ button and turn the mids down a few notches. Mostly, a little high and mid cut along with a little reverb increase smoothed things out. You can get way deep too, though.... Down to the key release resonance. That, for example is how long the string kind of buzzes after you release the note and the felt comes back to damp a note. So, once you get some brain cells left learning the rig, there's plenty to play with. If you boost low EQ, for example, you can feel more of the warm wood tones in the sample... Especially in the higher registers. It also has sympathetic resonance in the samples. So, like if you hold down a note some where and then play chords, you can hear that note interacting with the overall samples. It's a nice board. It's not my grand but I have no regrets on the purchase. Price seems extremely fair for what you're getting.

#2032097 - 02/12/13 08:19 PM Re: Kawai MP6 in the Studio [Re: RBMusik]
RBMusik Offline

I'd also add that you should go download the MP6 user manual to get an idea what you've got. One man's 'easy' is another's difficult. I have a lot of experience with the kinds of adjustments the board offers, so it seems pretty intuitive to me. BUT for the internal sounds, I didn't have to do really much. You just have to remember to save your samples after adjusting. Patches like the 60s EP and Rhodes are just sweet right out. You can compare those to anything and they hold up. The Leslie (rotating) speaker emulation is fun as all heck...

#2032535 - 02/13/13 03:23 PM Re: Kawai MP6 in the Studio [Re: MycooLeeyun]
MycooLeeyun Offline

Thanks again =]

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
168 registered (36251, Almaviva, accordeur, 54 invisible), 1786 Guests and 50 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153499 Topics
2249408 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Happy Birthday TwoSnowflakes
by gooddog
Today at 02:23 PM
Troubleshooting the Gravity Drop/Weight Transfer etc.
by bledredwine
Today at 11:16 AM
Stories in SoundBook 2 Valerie Roth Roubos
by DameMyra
Today at 10:48 AM
Teaching memorization
by clarikeys
Today at 07:45 AM
Accepted Procedure for Having a Piano Tech look at a piano?
by Paul678
Today at 07:19 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission