Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#2031179 - 02/11/13 02:10 PM Commercial Music Studio at Shopping Center and their boss
ezpiano.org Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Irvine, CA
I found this:

Why parents should not bring their kids to commercial music studio at shopping center.

And

A review about commercial music studio's boss. Cameron Tong .

What do you think?
@ http://bit.ly/Ready123

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#2031366 - 02/11/13 05:11 PM Re: Commercial Music Studio at Shopping Center and their boss [Re: ezpiano.org]
AZNpiano Online   sleepy
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
I think it is a very well-maintained and professional-looking website.

#2031373 - 02/11/13 05:15 PM Re: Commercial Music Studio at Shopping Center and their boss [Re: ezpiano.org]
ezpiano.org Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yes, actually I learn a lot from this teacher. I especially like his video of interviews with Dr. Kolar.

#2031418 - 02/11/13 06:30 PM Re: Commercial Music Studio at Shopping Center and their boss [Re: ezpiano.org]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
Originally Posted By: ezpiano.org

What do you think?

I think it is kind of slimy. He sounds like a used car salesman, not a piano teacher. Based on his website, I'd pass.

#2031420 - 02/11/13 06:32 PM Re: Commercial Music Studio at Shopping Center and their boss [Re: ezpiano.org]
Bluoh Offline

Loc: Canada
I found myself skimming through the site (not actually taking in much information); the readability of the site isn't good... for example, why is his bio post entirely in italics?

It looks like he used a template but took it the wrong way. On the main page, he has five different font colours. Five. Where does the viewer look first? Answer: the viewer leaves.

Maybe the designer in me is being nit-picky, but the website isn't drawing in a lot of students. (And it can be fixed with a few tweaks.)

#2031458 - 02/11/13 08:17 PM Re: Commercial Music Studio at Shopping Center and their boss [Re: Bluoh]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Maybe I'm just tired, but I find the site confusing. The header is for Irvine Piano Studio, the address block on the upper right is "Kevin Kao's Piano Studio," while the refers to "FreshStart Piano Studio."

The writing is awkward throughout, and the text was difficult to read. The criticism of the Irvine School of Music was not useful. Finally, I found this sentence in particular rather offensive, "Lastly, my Christian background and upbringing gives me a level of integrity that's not always guaranteed with others."

Hope that helps.
wink

#2031474 - 02/11/13 08:46 PM Re: Commercial Music Studio at Shopping Center and their boss [Re: Bluoh]
AZNpiano Online   sleepy
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Bluoh
Answer: the viewer leaves.

Maybe the designer in me is being nit-picky, but the website isn't drawing in a lot of students.

But how do you know if a site is drawing in a lot of students or not? I do think your assessment is mildly on the nit-picky side.

Kevin's site looks a lot better than some other websites for piano studios around here (trust me--there are some major clunkers!), and the content is actually quite useful. I don't find the site hard to navigate or confusing at all.

#2031480 - 02/11/13 09:05 PM Re: Commercial Music Studio at Shopping Center and their boss [Re: ezpiano.org]
ezpiano.org Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
the content is actually quite useful

I agree with Anz

#2031497 - 02/11/13 10:03 PM Re: Commercial Music Studio at Shopping Center and their boss [Re: malkin]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: northern California
Originally Posted By: malkin
Maybe I'm just tired, but I find the site confusing. The header is for Irvine Piano Studio, the address block on the upper right is "Kevin Kao's Piano Studio," while the refers to "FreshStart Piano Studio."

The writing is awkward throughout, and the text was difficult to read. The criticism of the Irvine School of Music was not useful. Finally, I found this sentence in particular rather offensive, "Lastly, my Christian background and upbringing gives me a level of integrity that's not always guaranteed with others."

Hope that helps.
wink

+1

#2031515 - 02/11/13 10:42 PM Re: Commercial Music Studio at Shopping Center and their boss [Re: Barb860]
MaggieGirl Offline

I can say his comparison to Tiger Wood's is crap. My daughter golfs with Tiger's first coach and he said that instantly everyone knew he had incredible raw talent. His regret was that the course members didn't appreciate him for reasons of race.

I would guess the same would be with Mozart - undeniable raw talent, but my daughter doesn't take lessons with his first piano teacher. cool

And just because my daughter has the same golf coach, no matter how committed she is, she won't be the next Tiger.

But if anyone has read Condoleezza Rice's bio and her career in ice skating, I think everyone one can agree that hard work and striving to be your best is more important than being the next Woods or Mozart.

A teacher promising more than that would make me leery.

#2031521 - 02/11/13 10:58 PM Re: Commercial Music Studio at Shopping Center and their boss [Re: malkin]
catpiano Offline

Quote:
Finally, I found this sentence in particular rather offensive, "Lastly, my Christian background and upbringing gives me a level of integrity that's not always guaranteed with others."

Hope that helps.
wink

Extremely offensive.

I didn't look through the whole website, but I do wholeheartedly agree with his stance on lessons at music centers.

Edited by catpiano (02/11/13 11:03 PM)

#2031566 - 02/12/13 12:18 AM Re: Commercial Music Studio at Shopping Center and their boss [Re: catpiano]
AZNpiano Online   sleepy
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: catpiano
Quote:
Finally, I found this sentence in particular rather offensive, "Lastly, my Christian background and upbringing gives me a level of integrity that's not always guaranteed with others."

Hope that helps.
wink

Extremely offensive.

Funny, I actually don't find that statement offensive. It comes across as opinionated and naive, but far from being really offensive.

The website's descriptions of commercial music schools are quite accurate, and Kevin's opinions on that topic are shared by lots and lots of piano teachers. Many local, private piano teachers who used to have 40-50 students are seeing a steady decrease of enrollment ever since the first of these "music schools" came to town, and which have since mushroomed everywhere.

#2031569 - 02/12/13 12:21 AM Re: Commercial Music Studio at Shopping Center and their boss [Re: ezpiano.org]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
AZN: It's one thing to mention something about yourself (integrity, etc), however silly your excuses are (I'm A christian) and it's entirely a different league to be talking about the rest (they are NOT Christians and thus not as good as I am)...

I think...

#2031615 - 02/12/13 02:47 AM Re: Commercial Music Studio at Shopping Center and their boss [Re: ezpiano.org]
lechuan Offline

A bit bizarre to publicly put down your employers method of business, and point people to your competing business, while still working there. Also a bad career move, in general, to publicly and negatively about a former employer (assuming one wants to continue to work in the industry). I guess he's committed to teaching privately smile

#2031978 - 02/12/13 04:38 PM Re: Commercial Music Studio at Shopping Center and their boss [Re: ezpiano.org]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
I think the whole thing is incredibly confusing. The site itself is called "IrvinePianoStudio.com", but it also seems to be the website for the "FreshStart Piano Studio" and "Kevin Kao's Piano Studio."

It contains a blog entry criticizing the "commercial music studio at the shopping center" and Conrad Tao, the director of the Irvine Piano Studio. It seems odd that IrvinePianoStudio.com has a blog criticizing the owner of the IrvinePianoStudio.com.

I can only guess that Kevin Kao is IrvinePianoStudio.com's webmaster and that he's decided to use Conrad Tao's own website against him, in which case he has zero integrity whatsoever and could probably be sued for libel. (Although it seems Mr. Kao's blog entry on the "commercial music studio in shopping center" doesn't actually have any facts on Mr. Tao and never says exactly what went wrong.)

Mr. Kao is listed as the administrative and technical contact for the IrvinePianoStudio's website. On the site, he states that he no longer works for the Irvine Piano Studio, so he's apparently chosen to use the website to promote himself while criticizing his former boss.

Mr. Kao has also taken the Facebook url "http://www.facebook.com/IrvinePianoStudio" and turned it into the FreshStart studio instead.

The whole thing is terribly confusing. Mr. Kao has succeeded in destroying the Irvine Piano Studio and FreshStart Studio brands. And he shoots himself in the foot with that "my Christian background and upbringing gives me a level of integrity" comment. There is no integrity here. Since he hasn't released the IrvinePianoStudio's domain registration, he's robbed his former employer of the ability to maintain his online presence.

Mr. Kao may say he's not bitter and has a lot of integrity, but his actions tell a different story. He'd be better off taking the high road. Create a website for FreshStart piano studio and actually make a fresh start.

I found this:

Why parents should not bring their kids to commercial music studio at shopping center.

And

A review about commercial music studio's boss. Cameron Tong .

What do you think?
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#2031983 - 02/12/13 04:47 PM Re: Commercial Music Studio at Shopping Center and their boss [Re: ezpiano.org]
ezpiano.org Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Actually, there is Irvine Piano Studio and there is Irvine School of Music.
Mr. K worked for Mr. T in Irvine School of Music in the past then later build up Irvine Piano Studio.
Very confusing, yes, I agreed.

Edited by ezpiano.org (02/12/13 04:48 PM)

#2031987 - 02/12/13 04:56 PM Re: Commercial Music Studio at Shopping Center and their boss [Re: ezpiano.org]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Ugh...I thought that might be the case, but Irvine School of Music doesn't even bother to list the names of its teachers, further adding to the confusion.

What a horrible mess! All these random brand names and studio websites with no real information on actual people. It's like Bad Marketing 101.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#2032008 - 02/12/13 05:24 PM Re: Commercial Music Studio at Shopping Center and their boss [Re: Kreisler]
AZNpiano Online   sleepy
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kreisler
What a horrible mess! All these random brand names and studio websites with no real information on actual people. It's like Bad Marketing 101.

Oh, there's a reason for that!! Welcome to the mess.

By my count there are now over 13 "music schools" within a 5-mile radius, and I'm not counting the private studios. It's not fair to throw a blanket over all the "music schools" and say that they are all terrible; I have personal friends who--due to various reasons--must work for one of these places. And some of them are truly good teachers!

It's all about the mad grab for clients, which the city seems to have an endless supply of. So, of course, in this mad rush to get clients some "music schools" will resort to using negative ads and poaching of students from other studios. It's also difficult to maintain quality of a large school, as there are only so many good students to go around, and the great majority of the piano students are going to be average.

That being said, if you go to the local festivals, you can instantly tell which students study at the "music schools." The difference is night and day. It seems like the really, really good students have parents who took the time to seek out excellent private teachers. They are not interested in dropping off the kids at a plaza for lessons and then go grocery shopping for the next 30 minutes.

#2032126 - 02/12/13 09:14 PM Re: Commercial Music Studio at Shopping Center and their boss [Re: AZNpiano]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
*sigh*
I remember when Irvine Ranch was a ranch.

#2032412 - 02/13/13 11:02 AM Re: Commercial Music Studio at Shopping Center and their boss [Re: ezpiano.org]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Do you have to be Asian or Asian-American and a child to take piano lessons at one of these academies?

#2032450 - 02/13/13 12:21 PM Re: Commercial Music Studio at Shopping Center and their boss [Re: Peter K. Mose]
AZNpiano Online   sleepy
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Peter K. Mose
Do you have to be Asian or Asian-American and a child to take piano lessons at one of these academies?

crazy
I hope not! But it certainly seems that way.

#2032477 - 02/13/13 01:31 PM Re: Commercial Music Studio at Shopping Center and their boss [Re: ezpiano.org]
Kevin K Offline

Wow, what a mess is right! How fun is it that a post here asking about one of my blog entries has turned into a critique of my entire website and my character? smile

Thank you to whoever told me I was being talked about here, haha.

Okay I'll go back and reply to some posts later when I have more time...hopefully I can help clear up some of this confusion and offer up my take on some of the things.

First, my view on commercial music studios. I don't think it's an inherently bad business model, I know a few music studio owners and they are great people. I was actually approached to start one of my own as part of an afterschool program. I eventually turned it down for a few reasons, one of them was because of the contract I signed when I worked for Cameron at Irvine School of Music; it forbid the signee of the contract from starting a competing business for like...two years or something.

I used to think a lot of the commercial music studio owners are shady by nature, recruiting other teachers' students at festivals/evaluations, cutting various corners, breaking association rules to save money, etc; but, lately, through various other life events, I've seen how money changes people for the worse. While it doesn't excuse what they do, it does slightly alter my view of them. By the way, sorry if all the wise and experienced people on here already know this, but I'm still relatively young and learning, haha.

And if nothing else, they serve as warning signs for my own business future.

Piano Teacher in Irvine, CA

#2032509 - 02/13/13 02:34 PM Re: Commercial Music Studio at Shopping Center and their boss [Re: Plowboy]
Kevin K Offline

Originally Posted By: Plowboy

What do you think?

I think it is kind of slimy. He sounds like a used car salesman, not a piano teacher. Based on his website, I'd pass.

I'm assuming you're talking about the paragraph on my home page and not the blog post? Thanks for the feedback, I'll probably make a few changes to it since I wrote it awhile ago, but I can see how it'd come off that way. But again I'm assuming you aren't talking about the blog entry or the FAQ page?

#2032522 - 02/13/13 03:06 PM Re: Commercial Music Studio at Shopping Center and their boss [Re: Bluoh]
Kevin K Offline

Originally Posted By: Bluoh
I found myself skimming through the site (not actually taking in much information); the readability of the site isn't good... for example, why is his bio post entirely in italics?

It looks like he used a template but took it the wrong way. On the main page, he has five different font colours. Five. Where does the viewer look first? Answer: the viewer leaves.

Maybe the designer in me is being nit-picky, but the website isn't drawing in a lot of students. (And it can be fixed with a few tweaks.)

I didn't realize italics were hard to read, to me cursive is, but then I'm not a designer. However, to answer your question, it's entirely in italics because I wanted it to be, it looked more like a written statement as opposed to printed, but then I didn't want it in cursive, so italicized it was.

I see what you mean about the colors, I think I can get rid of one or two so my action colors stand out more. But other then that, I would hope a parent looking to invest in piano lessons for their kid wouldn't be so easily deterred by a website with five different colors, and if they are, maybe they aren't right for my piano studio and that's okay with me.

Also, I'd say you're wrong about the website not drawing in a lot of students, but that's relative, so maybe you're right.

#2032530 - 02/13/13 03:19 PM Re: Commercial Music Studio at Shopping Center and their boss [Re: malkin]
Kevin K Offline

Originally Posted By: malkin

Hope that helps.
wink

Thanks, I completely agree with the variety of studio names being confusing. I bought the domain name first but then later decided I didn't want to seem like I was proclaiming myself as THE Irvine piano studio, I might be thinking too much, but I guess my indecisiveness showed through in my website. I'm going to change Kevin Kao's Piano Studio on the top to FreshStart Piano Studio...however...I'm still undecided about what to do with my domain name and the other name for my studio even though I think it'd make more sense to just go with my domain name.

Sorry for the awkward writing, I'm trying my best, but English isn't my first language. I'd love to know which parts you found awkward.

#2032537 - 02/13/13 03:27 PM Re: Commercial Music Studio at Shopping Center and their boss [Re: ezpiano.org]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
A way to clear up the naming confusion: Pick a single studio name. Buy a domain name to match. Put your site on that domain name. Redirect from the other domain name to the new domain name, if you're concerned about broken links.

#2032557 - 02/13/13 04:06 PM Re: Commercial Music Studio at Shopping Center and their boss [Re: MaggieGirl]
Kevin K Offline

Originally Posted By: MaggieGirl
I can say his comparison to Tiger Wood's is crap. My daughter golfs with Tiger's first coach and he said that instantly everyone knew he had incredible raw talent. His regret was that the course members didn't appreciate him for reasons of race.

I would guess the same would be with Mozart - undeniable raw talent, but my daughter doesn't take lessons with his first piano teacher. cool

And just because my daughter has the same golf coach, no matter how committed she is, she won't be the next Tiger.

But if anyone has read Condoleezza Rice's bio and her career in ice skating, I think everyone one can agree that hard work and striving to be your best is more important than being the next Woods or Mozart.

A teacher promising more than that would make me leery.

I couldn't agree with you more on the bit you wrote about hard work and striving to be your best being more important, that is precisely what I'm advocating, although with a slight caveat. Not just hard work, but hard, smart, and deliberate work. And if you really want to preach that with your daughter I think it's counterproductive to also be placing a ceiling on what she can achieve and placing an easy way out by preaching about talent. Maybe your daughter won't think this way, but I speak from experience, most kids start to use talent as a crutch--and this goes to the ones that think they have talent AND ones that don't think they have talent.

There's actually quite a bit of literature and research available on the "talent myth" that I think are worth checking out for any parent. Just search for "talent" in Amazon.

I could respond to what you said about Tiger Woods and Mozart and my crap comment, but if you read "Talent Is Overrated" by Geoff Colvin, you'll find that the view you have is inaccurate. Unless your daughter used to golf with Tiger Wood's dad before he passed away, which she might be, then by the time this "first coach" worked with Tiger Woods he had already gone through a lot of incredibly focused and intensive training.

If you don't buy the book from Amazon, just read pg. 29-31 in the bookstore. There's also a part in the book that talks about Mozart's "talent".

So in short, I stand by my comment. Compared to the amount and kind of work Mozart and Woods put in to be successful, their talent played a much smaller role in comparison.

I hope this helps, and I hope you'll check out the literature available on this subject smile

#2032598 - 02/13/13 05:17 PM Re: Commercial Music Studio at Shopping Center and their boss [Re: ezpiano.org]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Kevin, the sooner you remove that negative essay about your rival and former employer from your website, the sooner you will present yourself as a responsible independent American piano teacher in the year 2013. Unless this is a slag-the-competition idea you acquired in a pedagogy class.

#2032600 - 02/13/13 05:30 PM Re: Commercial Music Studio at Shopping Center and their boss [Re: Peter K. Mose]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Kevin, the sooner you remove that negative essay about your rival and former employer from your website, the sooner you will present yourself as a responsible independent American piano teacher in the year 2013. Unless this is a slag-the-competition idea you acquired in a pedagogy class.

Kevin, FWIW, +1. When ever I'm at a store/service agency, etc., and they start bad-mouthing the competition, I politely make my exit. I'm interested in what positive you can do for me, not what your competitor cannot do. FWIW.

#2032636 - 02/13/13 06:59 PM Re: Commercial Music Studio at Shopping Center and their boss [Re: Peter K. Mose]
Kevin K Offline

Peter, if this is a slag-the-competition idea I learned from pedagogy class, then I'd be slagging on every other piano and music studio out there. I feel like your last statement jabs at not only me but also the pedagogy program and professors I studied with. Just a side-note, that is actually what Cameron is doing on the Irvine School of Music website, putting down every other commercial music studio and private studio with items that are just completely untrue.

My review of Cameron is true. And speaking of responsibility, I do feel responsible to let people know about him. If I know he is a chronically dishonest person, I can't just turn away and say, "oh well". Truthfully, once I found out about his character and his website, I didn’t feel comfortable teaching at his studio anymore. I realize your view stems from the fact that I'm also a piano teacher and thus a competitor, but I don't think worrying about and protecting myself from the backlash I might experience from some people excuses me from sharing what I know. The parents that were lied to were VERY upset, as well they should be. Would you keep quiet if you knew?

I don't see how the review has to do with being in the year 2013 or being an American.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
U.S. Treasury Auctioning Steinway Art Case Concert Grand
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
82 registered (angga888, barbaram, AndrewJCW, AZNpiano, 20 invisible), 1256 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75487 Members
42 Forums
156080 Topics
2292017 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Another Improvisation
by Polyphonist
Today at 02:55 AM
4/4 measure in 3/4 time?
by caters
Today at 01:10 AM
Mac mini for software pianos?
by Mta88
Today at 01:10 AM
Installed an LX system on my Baldwin C
by SpectrumMan
Today at 12:04 AM
Join the false-beat revolution: get your wires straight!!!
by A443
Yesterday at 11:15 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission