2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, 11 invisible), 1,602 guests, and 336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 186 of 540 1 2 184 185 186 187 188 539 540
W
W
Completed Unit 3 in my Faber's Adult Piano Adventures Book. Also played Camptown Races!

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Casio Privia PX-150
Started Playing: November 2012
Completed Unit 6, Faber's Adult Piano Adventures Book 1
A
A
Finally mustered up the courage to make an appointment with the local piano dealer. It's a pretty small shop, with the owner mostly doing technician work and only selling pianos for two days a week. He's actually going to close the shop next month, so there were only few pianos left, going for pretty nice prices. I spent three hours going back and forth trying them all. This sounds soooo much better than my digital!

I'll most likely want to visit a few more stores, though. The brand new Yamaha P121N Silent seemed quite alright, but it wasn't tuned anymore and didn't sound very convincing. Then there was a cheap Kawai BL11 which was LOUD. It sounded very good for its price, under 3k euros. The final piano I tried was a wooden 1871 "Gebr. Perzina" upright, which must have been recently tuned because it sounded awesome. I'm just not sure if I like this particular colour of wood (doesn't fit with my furniture) or the 5k price tag. Of course, the Silent was even more expensive.

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Stubbie, which version of Canon in D are you doing?

Warlock214, I also have a Casio PX-150.

All of you doing 3 vs. 4 polyrhythms or hemiolas have my admiration.

Week 48: After recording for the recital or after a performance day, there is often a let down. For the self-directed, there is also the question of what next? I go back to Canon in D. After going through about a dozen different arrangements and tutorials these past many weeks, I take segments from several of them to piece together a simple version that seems reasonable to me. String players may grimace, because I am sure my cobbled together arrangement won't match anything they ever saw on their music stands. I still play my recital piece Shadow. I find special joy playing the last few bars over and over. There is something about the key sequence, the sound, of those closing bars of music, that makes me want to repeat it. It might be because that phrase came to me late one evening, when I got out of bed to play a few bars of music. I recorded it, then the next day integrated it.

Another MuseScore download is a new project, the Hobbit movie song, Misty Mountains Cold. In addition to some scores, I view a gaggle of videos, tutorials. The most entertaining ones are the choral arrangements. The main theme is so simple, and yet, it grows on a person. The easiest arrangements for Misty are for melody instruments. However, those sound tinny on piano. I have some fun playing some variations on the tune, but don't know enough to fill it out to get a full sound while maintaining the strength of the melody. The piano arrangements that I find are beyond my current skill level. I don't know if Misty or Canon will get to performance ready. I often poke at tunes and then conclude they aren't ready for prime time and drop them.

YouTubes for this week, include the already mentioned Hobbit downloads, and two long excerpts from the movie August Rush. At the last Songmakers hoot, someone mentioned that movie. August Rush is about a vagabond child who is a prodigy at composition. Anyone that writes their own music or feels a spiritual connection to their music, will have a special appreciation for the movie.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Allard

The final piano I tried was a wooden 1871 "Gebr. Perzina" upright, which must have been recently tuned because it sounded awesome. I'm just not sure if I like this particular colour of wood (doesn't fit with my furniture) or the 5k price tag. Of course, the Silent was even more expensive.

Oooh if I had the money it'd be my choice- a nineteenth century one!

W
W
How you like the PX-150?

Casio Privia PX-150
W
W
I started my madness and learned the following songs this weekend:
1. Camptown Races
2. Eine Kliene Nachtmusik
3. New World Symphony Theme
4. Auld Lang Syne
5. Bridal March

These songs are scaled down at Level 1. But I'm happy with my progress! I started Friday at 8pm and continued off and on til an hour ago. I'm persistent!

Casio Privia PX-150
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by warlock214
How you like the PX-150?

Warlock214, I am enjoying the new Casio. Sounds like you are doing the same. That is an impressive list of tunes, even with simple arrangements for one weekend. I hope you recorded something for the current ABF recital.

Do remember to take breaks, and listen to your body. If the body starts to complain, ease up. I was one of many enthusiastic beginners that over did it early and got sidelined.

Some months ago, I tried to learn Mozart's Eine Kliene Nachtmusik, but my mind and fingers could not process the polyrhythms. I don't know if your easy version has the offset rhythms or not. In any case, well done.

W
W
Sand Tiger, I'm enjoying my PX-150 too! You are right...your body and mind will let you know when to take a break. I will upload some recordings very soon!!

The Eine Kliene Nachtmusik version I learned is from the Faber's Adult Piano Adventures Book 1. It's scaled down some but similar to the Level 1 versions I've seen on the internet. Thanks and good luck!!

Casio Privia PX-150
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Hi I've been sick since last week. I think this is just a cold.
I just always get feverish. I did not do very much beside uploading my not so great Brahms piece.
Played through the Bach P&F (f minor from wtc book2) today. Could not touch Mozart or Haydn very much. My sight reading experiment with Haydn piece is going darn well. My teacher is having me learn the piece without looking down my hands or the piano keys. Of course I'm doing it slowly. But it's easier than I thought. I wish I had done this years ago. I recommend everyone to try this if you haven't done so. I think it will give a boost to your sight reading capability.

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Ragdoll - I get quite a kick out of photography too, but more with getting neat shots with shadows than wildlife. Perhaps because when I have the camera in hand, I'm not usually in a place I'm likely to find animals.

TallGuy, I can see why you won't submit your piece to the recital (unless you get it in right after performing for your wife!).... I can't sing and play either, though it is one of my ambitions. I know of one of our ABFers who plays and then records the vocals.

Warlock - congrats on finishing up Unit 3 - how very satisfying to have such a concrete benchmark of your progress!

Allard - it is fun, and stressful in a way, to be hunting for your piano. I've got a Yammaha 112 with the silent feature and I love it. I got mine second hand, which really makes a difference on the price. (ok, mine is smaller too, and that makes another difference). I believe mine is comparable in size to the B2 sold in the USA, but looks like the B1. It isn't made anymore.
Funnily enough, my piano was made in England. I have no idea how it got over to Italy. It was in pristine condition, though it was 7 years old. It is , in my opinion, well worth looking at second hand - especially if you need the Silent option.

Sand Tiger, I had to look up Hemiolas. That's the second time this week I've had to look up terms used in the ABF. I'm certainly getting my education!
I understand what you mean about the post-submission blues. (Hey, maybe that's an option for you .. compose a blues song about finishing up your submission!).... I think the only sollution to that is to have more than one piece on the go so that once you've wrapped up the recital piece you already have something in process and you don't feel the "let down" so much.

I haven't heard the Hobbit music yet, but I know I loved the music in the Lord of the Rings films. I bet you are having fun with that!

FarmGirl, I hope you are feeling better today.
I am really enjoying hearing about your progress the last couple of months. It seems that you are really enjoying a surge of improvements and discoveries, and it is just plain exciting to hear about it! I'm happy for you!
What about your plans for your Piano Party - is that still on or have you postponed as you aren't feeling great?

PV88 - There are lots of discussions about who (or what skills set defines) is an Adult Beginner. The term is broad, and includes those who start piano as adults with zero musical background - or with experience, but on a different instrument. It also includes what we could call re-beginners - those who had lessons as kids or young adults and are getting back to it. Then we have the ones who were beginners 10 years ago, but like this forum so much they don't want to post in the other .... Plus.... the Pianist Corner has a very different tone compared to what you find here. It is a very different mindset indeed.

(edited to add: hey, where did PV88's post go?... It was a suggestion (I belive to FarmGirl) that with a repertoire like that on the go she should feel welcome over in the Pianist Corner)

My ATOW.....I think I've got my brain wrapped around how to manage the parts I was having difficulty with in my Barocque piece. For such a short piece, it has really taken a lot of brain energy! I'm hoping to get started on the Heller "An Old Romance" this coming week. I confess to being a bit intimidated by it.

Last edited by casinitaly; 02/11/13 04:19 AM. Reason: adding info

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Cheryl, I'm not 100% but getting better thanks. I'm glad i stayed home the weekend. No postponement of my party. The only change is that I won't do too much with respect to food. I will supply some finger food, wine/beer, dessert and pizza. I got the cleaning ladies secured in the morning. So at least my house will be cleaner. It will be fun. I wish I could fly you over here! But it's only Arizona there isn't much to see. Let me know when you do have a piano party there! Not sure if I have enough money but I will give it a serious consideration - I love Italy!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Glad you are feeling better FarmGirl!!!
Yes, yes, Cheryl, an Italian piano party sounds marvelous!!!
My AOTW is that I managed to make the arpeggios in the Benda piece sound nice and smooth, the first two pages of the Moonlight sound even smoother, and.......I GOT MY FIRST COLLLECTION OF PHILIP GLASS PIANO PIECES. I know ABFrs are mixed in their appreciation of him (given my screen name 3heartsit is obvious I LOVE LOVE LOVE him....hey maybe I will change my name to glasslovelovelove). I have begun to work on Metamorhosis I and am having the best time with it. My kids have been particularly sweet regarding my playing of this piece. Several times over the course of the weekend they walked into the room and said "Oh, I thought that was a CD!!!" (my youngest hasn't fully learned the art of flattery yet...his statement was followed by "Oh yeah, can I have some Doritos?" laugh

Christine

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stubbie
JimF, you know you're going to get pestered about the 3-against-4 ditty you gave FarmGirl until you 'fess up.

At the risk of offending someone, ok here it is.

for 4 against 3 in my Pucinni my teach gave me a mnemonic that's a bit off color, but effective.

Pass The G-d damn Butter
B----R----L---R------L--R

(B=both hands, R=right, L=left)
Sorry if this is a wee bit offensive. Just trying to help.
If you tap it out with your hands like that you will get the feel for the mnemonic right away. Easy enough to change which hand gets the 4 by switching the L's and R's.

This morning I had a nice AOTW. Was able to play through all three pages of Moonlight 1st movement error free and with most if not all of the notes sounding about as I wanted them. Moreover, it felt good. I did something similar on Saturday, but thought it might be a fluke. Definitely chuffed.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Good for you Jim! I love hearing how chuffed you are! That has got to be mega delightful, playing through so much of Moonlight with such satisfaction - I bet your wife is enjoying it too!

And lo ! We badgered it out of you. None of us can take offense, really. Now I have to confess, I really don't have a clue what kind of music notation this is all about!
Any chance of someone posting a pic of a few bars?
I'm sure many of you get it, but I don't.

Christine... you know it wasn't til a few months ago that I actually learned who Mr. Glass was! Ah, t'is the evening for confessions! I listened to a themed recital put together by folks in the Rostosky group - and actually decided that his music isn't exactly my cup of tea ... but I thought the group had done a great job in their performances.
However, your excitement shines through and I am keen to hear what you do with your new sheet music! Great work on the Benda too! woohoo!

FarmGirl - sounds like you have made some great choices for organizing your Piano Party.
Believe me if I organize one - you'll be invited!
You too Christine!
I think it would be a real blast to have a Piano World party over here - and I've actually found 3 members who are not "too" far from me.....it isn't impossible....

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

R
R
[obscenity deleted]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rocket Man
[obscenity deleted]

RIP Rocket Man... You flew too close to the sun... or, rather in the opposite direction. Too far in the gutter.

A moment of silence please...

And good ol' JimF was worried he'd offend people!

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by aTallGuyNH
Originally Posted by Rocket Man
[obscenity deleted]

RIP Rocket Man... You flew too close to the sun... or, rather in the opposite direction. Too far in the gutter.

A moment of silence please...

And good ol' JimF was worried he'd offend people!

Or...Rocket Man, burning up his fuse here alone... smile

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Christine, kids are brutally honest. It means that you played very well. Nice.

JimF, congrats for the progress you made on the sonata. I have never played anything note perfect. I have a loose screw in my head, I think.

Cheryl, it's 3 notes against 4. Chopin Étude I'm doing, is all about how to play 3 notes against 4. Each of his étude has a distinctive stuff that a student has to learn. It's hard. You can easily picture me sweating at it. It's such finger twisters. Another reason why JimF's phrase is great. I will take a pic of my book and post it here.

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
[Linked Image]
It may not be easy to see it but this 3 against 4 example. The piece is Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1. Or Étude #25.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
It may not be easy to see it but this 3 against 4 example. The piece is Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1. Or Étude #25.

I get the pattern of what is supposed to be going on with the hands, but I'm having a little trouble w/ the math here... 6 quarter notes in the treble clef, 8 eighth notes in the bass clef. Is the time signature different between the two clefs??

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
Page 186 of 540 1 2 184 185 186 187 188 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission