Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2031029 - 02/11/13 09:46 AM What are the best music theory textbooks or resources?
xphotography Offline

I'm having a hard time finding an answer to this question, and was hoping I could find some help here. So, what's the best music theory book for a beginner looking to progress to an advanced level.

Online resources are also welcome; really, I'm looking for anything that's helpful for a student.

Thank you!

Edited by xphotography (02/11/13 10:07 AM)

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2031087 - 02/11/13 11:43 AM Re: What are the best music theory textbooks or resources? [Re: xphotography]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
I like Mark Sarnecki's materials:

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/composers/Mark-Sarnecki/14848

Depending on what you're looking for, the Complete Rudiments or Harmony books might be best.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#2031174 - 02/11/13 02:06 PM Re: What are the best music theory textbooks or resources? [Re: xphotography]
Serge Marinkovic Offline

Loc: United States
I would recommend Tonal Harmony by Stefan Kostka [http://www.amazon.com/Tonal-Harmony-Stefan-Kostka/dp/0073401358/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360609458&sr=8-1&keywords=tonal+harmony] this is the sixth edition but the seventh is out i just cant find it. Or Harmony and Voice leading by Edward Aldwel [http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=harmony+and+voice+leadingl]. I have used both to understand music theory. It used for up to 3-4 different music theory classes. Both really explain the subject so much better than anything else I have read. Good luck its a lot of fun.

#2031196 - 02/11/13 02:43 PM Re: What are the best music theory textbooks or resources? [Re: xphotography]
alex s Offline

Loc: san antonio
musictheory dot net is probably the best free one I have come across to lay a foundation. I would master that first then go to a textbook. Music theory textbooks may be a bit dry for the uninitiated.

#2031239 - 02/11/13 03:30 PM Re: What are the best music theory textbooks or resources? [Re: xphotography]
LadyChen Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I teach with the Sarnecki materials -- the ratio of examples to practice exercises is right for me, and I like how he explains the concepts.

#2031452 - 02/11/13 08:01 PM Re: What are the best music theory textbooks or resources? [Re: xphotography]
tomtomasino Offline

Walter Piston's book is still good, after all these years. Don't know the title offhand though, but you can easily find it.

Tomasino

#2032568 - 02/13/13 04:33 PM Re: What are the best music theory textbooks or resources? [Re: xphotography]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Although I already knew most music theory, I have recently purchased Robert Greenberg's Understanding the Fundamentals of Music because I find his courses great, and so far I am happy with it. It is not a music theory course in the traditional sense anyway.

http://www.thegreatcourses.com.au/tgc/courses/course_detail.aspx?cid=7261

Music is my best friend.

#2032732 - 02/13/13 09:25 PM Re: What are the best music theory textbooks or resources? [Re: xphotography]
Bluoh Offline

Loc: Canada
Mark Sarnecki is really good, he goes in-depth (but sometimes makes things more complicated than they really are):
http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/composers/Mark-Sarnecki/14848

Grace Vandendool is also good; she structures things differently:
http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/composers/Grace-Vandendool/15686

#2032742 - 02/13/13 09:53 PM Re: What are the best music theory textbooks or resources? [Re: xphotography]
LoPresti Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: xphotography
So, what's the best music theory book for a beginner looking to progress to an advanced level.

What are the "best" tires to have on your car? What is the "best" part of the world in which to live? It really depends upon your expectations and desires.

Tomasino has already mentioned the Walter Piston text HARMONY, and if you are looking for a comprehensive resource that covers it all, that is the one. The single shortcoming with the Piston is that he does not treat much in the neo-classical, twentieth-century realm. However, to truly understand neo-romantic, neo-classical, and serial techniques, one will need everything in the Piston text as a foundation on which to build.
Ed

#2032920 - 02/14/13 09:53 AM Re: What are the best music theory textbooks or resources? [Re: xphotography]
izaldu Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc:
Anyone knows a good, pedagogically good modal harmony book?

#2033221 - 02/14/13 06:26 PM Re: What are the best music theory textbooks or resources? [Re: xphotography]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Dolmetsch is not bad for being free.

Music is my best friend.

#2033271 - 02/14/13 07:51 PM Re: What are the best music theory textbooks or resources? [Re: xphotography]
Thrill Science Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California
If you want "Pop" music theory, Piston may be overboard.

Try Mark Harrison's "Contemporary Music Theory"

#2033278 - 02/14/13 07:58 PM Re: What are the best music theory textbooks or resources? [Re: xphotography]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I liked these books too. They are not big books, but if you master them both you have a solid foundation.

Music is my best friend.

#2033473 - 02/15/13 12:53 AM Re: What are the best music theory textbooks or resources? [Re: xphotography]
Auntie Lynn Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco, CA
I thought Walter Piston had the market cornered. I asked the same question over on CMG and somebody came up with Xenakis. The Piston Counterpoinr book is also good - we used it for advanced in graduate school. Roger Sessions has one out there (I used to live in his house...osmosis, you know)...

#2033639 - 02/15/13 10:19 AM Re: What are the best music theory textbooks or resources? [Re: xphotography]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
I bought a second hand copy of my college music theory textbook (Allan Forte, Tonal Harmony in Concept and Practice) for next to nothing.

The individual who originally bought the book appears to have never used it.

I specifically like the Forte textbook for the keyboard exercises at the end of most chapters. Those exercises alone are worth what you might pay for this textbook.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#2036715 - 02/21/13 02:00 AM Re: What are the best music theory textbooks or resources? [Re: xphotography]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
As far as free internet resources are concerned (you'd be surprised how comprehensive some resources prove to be), I've worked (and still do) - and encouraged other members, as well - to compile the best in this thread here: http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1948785.html

#2036721 - 02/21/13 02:11 AM Re: What are the best music theory textbooks or resources? [Re: Auntie Lynn]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Originally Posted By: Auntie Lynn
I thought Walter Piston had the market cornered.

I think he still does, much like Harold Gleason has the organ methods cornered. Stainer was used for many years in the UK, but Gleason's method is... well there is simply no comparison.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
120 registered (AmateurBob, anotherscott, accordeur, 38 invisible), 1548 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75334 Members
42 Forums
155752 Topics
2286787 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Whatever happened to pianist David Bean?
by John Pels
31 minutes 44 seconds ago
New member! I hope you enjoy my piano.
by Stephen K
Today at 05:57 PM
NP31 and CDP120
by chessman
Today at 04:35 PM
Petrof or Baldwin
by stargazer200529
Today at 03:27 PM
Trichord string diameters Tallinn Grands
by Goof
Today at 02:51 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission