Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2032556 - 02/13/13 04:00 PM Re: Chopin's Nocturne in Eb - left hand from heck [Re: jawhitti]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
Originally Posted By: jawhitti
Originally Posted By: Old Man

But in classical music, there is no broad outline on a relatively empty canvas. The picture is already complete. Every stroke, every color is already there, and it's the artist's job not to add or subtract, but to restore it and make it live again.

I don't disagree that every note is important. but at the same time classical music most definitely *is* constructed in a framework, and comes from a tradition where improvisation *was* important. This particular piece is obviously done that way, with the RH theme mutating throughought the piece in a very improvisatory manner. Chopin developed practically everything that way, he didn't sit down and compose at a desk like Beethoven in his later years.

I would be the first to admit I'm not worthy to presume to "improve" Chopin's efforts but let's not pretend that his pieces aren't composed in a very improvisatory manner.

I think I said earlier that notating chords would be less useful for contrapuntal works like Bach. You're absolute spot on there. I tried and it just doesn't work. Somewhat ironically though his work is renowned for its use of sequences and motifs -- elements that are considered in the jazz world to be important elements to a good solo. Bach and his son Carl Philip Emmanuel were legendary improvisers in their day, as were Chopin, Liszt and Beethoven.

As I said I personally am not worthy of "riffing on" the Nocturnes but I don't think it is stylistically inappropriate to do so. They all did. The idea that the sheet is holy writ from which one must not deviate is a fairly modern idea.

You make good points, but you're not going to be able to apply these ideas to most pieces by Chopin, Liszt, or Beethoven. The Nocturne in E-flat is an exception; there is even an alternate version written by Chopin himself with much more florid embellishments. I would also see no issues with using Liszt's opera paraphrases or Hungarian Rhapsodies as basis for improvisation, and many pianists have. They are fun pieces born out of the improvisatory tradition, and making modifications to the music on the fly is in the same spirit with which he conceived it.

But, much of these same composers' output is the result of years of refinement and hard work. Liszt's Transcendental Etudes have their germ in a work he wrote as a teenager; over the course of 26 years, he revised and elaborated on them several times to arrive at the set we know today. What choice does one have but to respect that and play the music as written? And would you really want to change anything in Chopin's Preludes? I wouldn't.

I reacted to your post the way I did because I've had to play an awful lot of bad pop music. I gag a little whenever I see guitar tabs. If you give me a lead sheet or anything that is less than fully fleshed out, I will refuse to play it. It's not my job to compose on the behalf of songwriters who have no ability to write music.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2032575 - 02/13/13 04:41 PM Re: Chopin's Nocturne in Eb - left hand from heck [Re: JoelW]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Originally Posted By: JoelW
Where is exactly is 'heck'?

Heӏӏ is censored, so it is converted to heck.

Music is my best friend.

#2032596 - 02/13/13 05:14 PM Re: Chopin's Nocturne in Eb - left hand from heck [Re: ChopinAddict]
Old Man Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan, USA
Originally Posted By: ChopinAddict
Originally Posted By: JoelW
Where is exactly is 'heck'?

Heӏӏ is censored, so it is converted to heck.

I think the question is why? It censors, or converts he*l, but it has no problem with 4 of George Carlin's 7 dirty words. Very peculiar.

And no, I'm not going to prove it. laugh

#2032609 - 02/13/13 05:58 PM Re: Chopin's Nocturne in Eb - left hand from heck [Re: Old Man]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Yes, it is funny it should be censored, while worse words are not. smirk

Music is my best friend.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
179 registered (adanepst, 36251, accordeur, 54 invisible), 1734 Guests and 51 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153500 Topics
2249411 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Disklavier to replace digital piano?
by Big Cheese
9 minutes 29 seconds ago
Happy Birthday TwoSnowflakes
by gooddog
Today at 02:23 PM
Troubleshooting the Gravity Drop/Weight Transfer etc.
by bledredwine
Today at 11:16 AM
Stories in SoundBook 2 Valerie Roth Roubos
by DameMyra
Today at 10:48 AM
Teaching memorization
by clarikeys
Today at 07:45 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission