2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 6 invisible), 1,932 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 210 of 341 1 2 208 209 210 211 212 340 341
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Thanks for getting back to me Chris.
Pardon my ignorance. I normalise the whole song, I haven't used EQ before - do I equalise the whole song ?

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by jazzwee

I'm really curious about Beeboss' setup since it sounds really good.

I usually use 2 akg C3000 mics. These are cheap (no real studio would even consider having these). I got them on ebay 2nd hand for approx $100 each.
I do have some other mics that I use sometimes if I want the best possible sound I can get but the C3000's are pretty good (value for money wise). I put these about 2 ft from the strings with the lid open, one for the top strings kind of near the lid stick and one directed at the bass strings. I pan these L and R, add some reverb in logic and maybe some eq/fx after recording before bouncing.

JW, don't even think about using those SM57/8's, they will sound bad. It should be easy enough to import the digital file you get from your zoom into another program on the computer to add a bit of reverb afterwards.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by custard apple
Pardon my ignorance. I normalise the whole song, I haven't used EQ before - do I equalise the whole song ?

Eq can be used to the whole song or to an instrument;
cut low or high, boost low or high and everything in between.

maybe there's to much bass, do a highpass, to much noise do a lowpass . . etc
or you might want to boost the bass . . etc

depending on your software you might want to work on a copy of the original file, in case it all goes wrong.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
SM57 are the industry standard for mic'ing amps. They suck at recording piano. You'll get no where as good as you will with the zoom. Well places, the zoom should sound great.
Check out 7notemode. His recordings are great. He adds one mic for the bass, and it's all plugged in the zoom. One several of his vids, he describes the setup. I believe it's affordable.
There's no reason to try to do better.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Well, I've used one SM57 stuck inside an upright for that rock n roll (Neil Young, etc) sound to good use. But for acoustic jazz, etc I agree, stay away from it.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by scepticalforumguy
Hi All,

As you may or may not remember, I've used a Zoom H4n to record my trio and solo piano stuff. Just recently I've put together a demo for restaurants that I'm now going to shop around. I'd appreciate if you'd listen to it and let me know if it is ok.

Here is the link:
http://www.box.com/s/ylvg659px67kxk2g0l6y

Nice demo scep! Great selection of tunes and really cool grooves. I definitely wouldn't worry about the rough spots, which aren't really that rough smile. Restaurant mangagers and the general public won't know there's anything wrong. When I was in undergrad I used to sub alot for my teacher for his weekly solo gig at a local restaurant. He was an excellent player, far better than I am... especially the me of 10 years ago when I was doing that. I was REALLY rough then. Anyway, the restaurant owners and customers often told me they liked my playing better than my teacher's... which puzzled me at the time. But looking back I realize that they really couldn't tell a difference except that my teacher played alot faster than I did. Which is probably why they liked what I did, they could keep up... even though the beat was all over the place laugh.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Beeboss, a new AKG C3000 is reasonably priced, like $249. That's not too bad. Maybe these are made in China?

Looks like the older models are more expensive.

Knotty, the Zoom H4 mics sound good but there's no way to do pre-processing on the pre-amp. It would be nice to control the reverb right at the front so if I record a trio then the ambience is balanced for all.

What I don't get is that we have to purchase all these expensive mics but the cheap Zoom H4 is functional as is with built in Mics. What gives?

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Scott Coletta
But looking back I realize that they really couldn't tell a difference except that my teacher played alot faster than I did. Which is probably why they liked what I did, they could keep up... even though the beat was all over the place laugh.

I've realized that we are very hard on ourselves. The casual listener (most of our audience) don't set such a high standard on things like chops. I find I get claps when I really play something simple and melodic, something way within what I can do reasonably well.

To me it is clear that groove accounts for a lot. I was competing with another performer for our time slot. This guy was a solo and sometimes duo performer and sings stuff like Beatles tunes, which is good for the crowd. But we have him beat with the energy of a 6-7 piece band.

Suffice it to say, we knocked the other guy out and he's upset (I heard he was bitching to the bartender). But the bartender being mercenary too was concerned about his earnings. We bring the crowd in and he makes good money when we show up.

My Jazz Blog

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B

What I don't get is that we have to purchase all these expensive mics but the cheap Zoom H4 is functional as is with built in Mics. What gives?

You get what you pay for with mics. But the main problem with the zoom is the lack of choice over positioning I should think. A grand piano is never going to sound really good without pretty precise mic placement.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
My more critical situation is amplifying a grand at a gig. Is it the same setup? I've seen some set up the lid really low or have a mic underneath the piano.

Here the issue on volume is feedback, especially with the speakers on the stage rather than FOH.

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by knotty
SM57 are the industry standard for mic'ing amps. They suck at recording piano. You'll get no where as good as you will with the zoom. Well places, the zoom should sound great.
Check out 7notemode. His recordings are great. He adds one mic for the bass, and it's all plugged in the zoom. One several of his vids, he describes the setup. I believe it's affordable.

Yes, this is my thinking too. But since 7note doesn't record with others, especially bass and drums, I wonder if the mic he uses could be good for those instruments too?

Has anyone used Blue Mics (Snowball, etc?) They seem to have decent mics (from the reviews) at reasonable prices. I'd want to get something for under $100 (sorry Dave--I'm the least gear-headed guy out there so I cringe at paying $$$ for incrementally better sound quality).

Recordings of my recent solo piano and piano/keyboard trio jazz standards.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi All,

As you may or may not remember, I've used a Zoom H4n to record my trio and solo piano stuff. Just recently I've put together a demo for restaurants that I'm now going to shop around. I'd appreciate if you'd listen to it and let me know if it is ok.

Here is the link:

Nice demo scep! Great selection of tunes and really cool grooves. I definitely wouldn't worry about the rough spots...

Thanks Scott! I'll keep the demo as is then.
How's your search for gigs going?

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Yes, this is my thinking too. But since 7note doesn't record with others, especially bass and drums, I wonder if the mic he uses could be good for those instruments too?

Has anyone used Blue Mics (Snowball, etc?) They seem to have decent mics (from the reviews) at reasonable prices. I'd want to get something for under $100 (sorry Dave--I'm the least gear-headed guy out there so I cringe at paying $$$ for incrementally better sound quality).

Those Blue Mics are ultra cheap and USB. So looks like they're intended for direct to computer use.

BTW - I've tried to adjust the reverb via Audacity but admitedly all those varied numerical settings is just mumbo jumbo to me. I'd like to just twist a reverb button like on the keyboard. So I'd rather not process at the back end.

So for me, my preference is something that can be controlled at the pre-amp.

My Jazz Blog

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D

Sorry but I can't agree with this thinking. To me that's like saying "I'm perfectly ok with this 20 year old Yamaha U-whatever upright, I don't need a good quality grand".

They're are many people who pursue home recording as an "art"--just as we strive to get better by practicing. They have day gigs where they make good dough which in turn allows them to experiment with different mics, pres, converters and recorders. They will always be at a hobbyist level but they have a great love and passion for the recording process.

There's this guy from France on Gearslutz. He's a Classical player and has a nice, expensive Steingraber 7' piano. The guy is constantly posting sound clips of him playing Chopin with his latest new mic or pre. He must have close to 15K, maybe more, tied up in mics alone!! cry He's not a great player but not bad either, basically a hobbyist. Guys occasionally post rude comments like "hey get a life" but I've listened to a lot of his clips and there is a huge difference from mic to mic. And then when he starts pairing them with different preamps, it can totally change the color of the mic and overall sound dramatically. It's pretty eye or ear opening.

Yeah no argument-it is an expensive pursuit and I totally get not wanting to invest the dough. But recording can be inspirational to our playing, then again sometimes not.. wink. By listening to recordings of myself, I've had as much progression in my playing as studying with any teacher.
I've without a doubt been better able to formulate my own sound or voice, taking from it from what I think it sounds like in my head, to actually hearing in real time first hand. And the better it sounds (recording quality), the more inclined I am to want to record..

I'm not fooling myself into thinking I'm an engineer but having the good mics, nice sounding converters on my hard disc recorder and great piano--the sound is better then a lot of studios I record in. This in turn gives me a lot of gratification, artistically speaking--and I might add , at a level way more fulfilling then many gigs I'm doing these days... wink frown

These entry level digital handheld recorders are amazing quality compared to anything that was available even 10 years ago. But to say there's no need to go up from there...... confused

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Well Dave F., I have to say that hearing the sound on Beeboss' piano is inspirational. So you've got a point there.

My Jazz Blog

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by chrisbell

Eq can be used to the whole song or to an instrument;
cut low or high, boost low or high and everything in between.

maybe there's to much bass, do a highpass, to much noise do a lowpass . . etc
or you might want to boost the bass . . etc

depending on your software you might want to work on a copy of the original file, in case it all goes wrong.

Oh that's a good explanation of how EQ is used, thanks Chris.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C

BTW - I've tried to adjust the reverb via Audacity but admitedly all those varied numerical settings is just mumbo jumbo to me.

Hey JW
I couldn't find the reverb in Audacity. Did you have to add a plug-in ?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Just recently I've put together a demo for restaurants that I'm now going to shop around. I'd appreciate if you'd listen to it and let me know if it is ok.

Here is the link:

Nice demo scep! Great selection of tunes and really cool grooves. I definitely wouldn't worry about the rough spots...

Thanks Scott! I'll keep the demo as is then.
How's your search for gigs going?

No gigs yet... not even a good lead. frown So far I've just sent a few emails with a link to our YouTube demo to some local restaurants, some that don't have live music, and some that do. I'm planning to follow up with them all soon. Beyond that, I don't really know what else to do. I guess I'll have to make phone calls to all the places that don't have email, which seems to be the majority.

How do you plan to shop your demo around scep?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

No gigs yet... not even a good lead. frown So far I've just sent a few emails with a link to our YouTube demo to some local restaurants, some that don't have live music, and some that do. I'm planning to follow up with them all soon. Beyond that, I don't really know what else to do. I guess I'll have to make phone calls to all the places that don't have email, which seems to be the majority.

How do you plan to shop your demo around scep?

I'm going to do the reverse of what you are doing. I'll go directly to the places first, make a contact with the floor manager/owner with a CD in hand, get their email address for follow up then send a message in the following days with a link to the boxnet demo to ask if they've liked what we're doing and if they'd like us to play.
I'm also considering giving one 'freebee' to start the process. By playing at a place once (maybe for drinks/dinner?) they don't have to commit to spending any real money to see if they like having the band there.
In my experience most venues only consider having live music once everything else has failed for them. The exceptions to the rule are the restaurants owned by amateur musicians who are just starting up and want to have a place they would have wanted to play in. The only successful ones are in a convenient local, have hip decor, a decent menu, and probably have a very beautiful staff.
Needless to say I've played at numerous restaurants that have since closed. So my hopes aren't really that high that I'll land a great paying gig at a hip place. I'll settle for the ugly little dive hosted by the owners on the verge of closing.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member

BTW - I've tried to adjust the reverb via Audacity but admitedly all those varied numerical settings is just mumbo jumbo to me.

Hey JW
I couldn't find the reverb in Audacity. Did you have to add a plug-in ?

Cus, it's called GVerb. Though it was trial and error to figure out the parameters.

My Jazz Blog

Page 210 of 341 1 2 208 209 210 211 212 340 341

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission