2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, 17 invisible), 2,127 guests, and 321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 139 of 452 1 2 137 138 139 140 141 451 452
M
M
Oz Leikela, we're in the same time zone. I'm from Melbourne (Bayside). I'll have to wait until tomorrow for more responses to my questions from the others, they're fast asleep right now (or playing piano). I can't learn more than one extra piece at a time as for me it becomes a habit to keep picking up a new piece when I begin loosing motivation. I'm working on a Chopin piece outside of Alfred's and won't allow myself to even look at other pieces until I 'almost' perfect it.

Beginner learning with Alfred book #1
Working on Chopin Prelude Op. 28 No.7
O
O
Music Girl, do you have a teacher? I'm from Bayside (inner) too, and am going to soon hunt for a teacher in the area. Would rather go on someone's recommendation, than trying to find someone randomly. Otherwise I'll just have to go the trial and error method.

Gintarec, my pieces aren't perfect either. That's why I wrote it as 'perfect'. smile It's as perfect as they are going to get for a while. I plan on working through the whole book until I can play each piece fairly fluently and then go back and "dot my I's and cross my T's". Goodluck with your lesson tonight!

Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course Book #1
Week 7
Kawai K-3
It seems we are taking the same path through the book wink
But - it is a very good fun along the way!!!!

Have you set yourself a 'time scale' when you hope to be finished with book one?

I just keep thinking - is there any chance I could manage to do it by Christmas?... Probably not! But, I will start looking to level 2 book soon. (Don't want to get caught out with no book at the end!!!)

P.S. I like your signature, I hope you don't mind if I copy it.... Just let me know if you do!

Last edited by gintarec; 10/12/09 05:44 AM.

Alfred's All-in-One: Level 2 - started March 1st!
Still playing 'Overture'
Clavinova CLP-240
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I thought I had a chance to pass Amazing Grace during my lesson a while ago, but apparently not :P I still have a few hiccups and most of all, rhythm (counting) issues. It's nice to hear my teacher play the piece - her version is infinitely more musical than mine! We're having another lesson later this week and I hope I can polish it up by then.

@ Quagles: I personally find Amazing Grace more difficult than The Entertainer, because the LH moves around a lot, and I had count very well so I could get it proper rhythm (it turned out my rhythm was uneven all along).

Nowadays I'm spending more time with my other pieces (Hungarian Dance #5 Duet). Crazy hard for me to get everything right, but I love the how it sounds. Sigh...why do the tunes that sound *really* good almost always have to be quite complex?

Working on: Schumann Album for the Young, Clementi Op 36 No. 1 (all movements), Various Bach, Czerny 599
+ CASIO PX-720 and PX-730 +
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hello everyone.

I've been lurking since last May when I started in on the Alfred AIO #1. Never played any instrument before, although I took piano lessons for a few months as a child when I was much more interested in things like baseball or climbing trees. For some reason at age 56 it hit me that I would like to play the piano.

So far I am enjoying the voyage and have just moved on to book 2, although my Amazing Grace could still stand a lot more polishing. Acutally I got all the way through book one back in July, but after talking to someone about using the metronome (which I had not, ever), decided to go back to the beginning and redo the whole book making sure I checked everything with the metronome. I detest the stupid thing (which I call "the little nazi in my keyboard") but it sure proved that I had work to do on my rhythm.

The forum discussions have been very helpful and I want to thank all of you for participating. Hopefully, now that I've registered, I will be able to contribute as well as receive.

Last edited by JimF; 10/12/09 03:29 PM.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by JimF
Hello everyone.

I've been lurking since last May when I started in on the Alfred AIO #1. Never played any instrument before, although I took piano lessons for a few months as a child when I was much more interested in things like baseball or climbing trees. For some reason at age 56 it hit me that I would like to play the piano.

So far I am enjoying the voyage and have just moved on to book 2, although my Amazing Grace could still stand a lot more polishing. Acutally I got all the way through book one back in July, but after talking to someone about using the metronome (which I had not, ever), decided to go back to the beginning and redo the whole book making sure I checked everything with the metronome. I detest the stupid thing (which I call "the little nazi in my keyboard") but it sure proved that I had work to do on my rhythm.

The forum discussions have been very helpful and I want to thank all of you for participating. Hopefully, now that I've registered, I will be able to contribute as well as receive.

welcome Jim...there is a book two thread also.

Mark...

Hi Jim, hope you are enjoying the journey!!!

I had my first lesson tonight and the teacher couldn't believe how far I got through the book. We started going through the book from the beginning quickly, and stopped at G position, from where we will pick up next time. I also got recommended couple more books for strengthening my hands.

Oh, and she said she cannot do a lesson in two weeks as she is going to a concert by Ludovico Einaudi. So, guess what - I got back home and bought tickets as well!!! (Well, my husband bought them for me for my birthday)I did not know he is giving concert here in two weeks!!!!!

Still playing 'Overture'
Clavinova CLP-240
[Linked Image]
M
M
Welcome JimF, I too am new.

Oz Leikela. I'm also looking for a teacher and really only want to go from a recommendation. I took piano lessons for a year (about 15 years ago, I'm 37 now). Anyway, I liked the teacher but I hated the lessons and wasn't progressing. She was classically trained. She taught piano at the Conservatorium in Sydney. So I thought she's be great. I gave her a piece of music (Tori Amos) that was way too difficult for me and we worked through it. She gave me no other exercises, that was it. It got too hard so I dropped the piece and then gave her another one and we worked on that until it just got too hard. She never once said you need to start on easier pieces. I'm a teacher and looking back I can see why I lost my motivation. Going to talk to my kids music teachers and others and if I find someone good I'll get back to you. Any area in particular?

You can try this website as a start and email teachers.
http://www.musicteacher.com.au/

:-)

Beginner learning with Alfred book #1
Working on Chopin Prelude Op. 28 No.7
Welcome Jim, I hope to be joining you in Book 2 before too long also...

I'm going to be moving on from Greensleeves this week, I have a confident feeling that my teacher will say "no mas" at my next lesson. Then it's on to Scarborough Fair, which I'm hoping will be quick. The music store has a recital mid-November, and I'm going to try to perform Amazing Grace at the recital. That's my goal.

Lately I've been working really hard to master a piece called "Air" by Henry Purcell, from the book "Easy Classics to Moderns," page 5. It is a dumb (but pretty) little song that is harder to me than differential calculus and speaking Chinese. The LH and RH are just doing their own thing. But I am gradually, very gradually, making progress.

Just because I am not a genius on piano doesn't mean that I can't love trying to learn, and making some basic music. That is what I tell myself.

Piano Adventures 3A, Alfred AIO 2
Q
Q
Good to see this thread filling again with new prospects. A while ago I felt there was just a few of us left and we were all at near the end of the book with many hovering around maybe 10 pieces left and some at the final 2 and no one else really.

@Mari: Started to agree there now, first page while not too hard there's alot of movement while some parts are much easier than in The Entertainer putting it all together at the right pace is hard, feels like I'm just looking for the keys all the time. Only played first page, so ill try just perfect that first and see how that goes.

The Entertainer is coming nicely, hoping I could finish it up by Thursday since ill be gone for 4 days then without piano frown but I'm not sure if I can. Most parts are "OK" and not without much trouble but 2nd line on 2nd page is a tricky one and I can't pull it off anywhere near pace yet so that needs work.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks to all for the words of welcome.

Gintarec, congrats on the first lesson. Some of the "snags" I've hit recently have me scratching my head thinking about whether I should seek out a teacher. Initially I told myself I would do so if I was still interested after a year. But its pretty clear I will be, since I tend to get a bit compulsive about new endeavors. The concert sure sounds better than a lesson to me.

I've started posting on the book 2 thread too, but will certainly be visiting here from time to time since I enjoy playing some of the book 1 pieces quite a lot. R&A, Entertainer, and AG are my favs. Everytime I play Entertainer all I can see in my head is Paul Newman in The Sting.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Hello everyone,
I am also new here, and this is my first post after becoming a member about a week ago. I started piano lessons when I was in my teens, I did it for only 2 lessons, I was more interested in the girls that were enrolled in class than the lesson itself and I had a nazi teacher, LOL. I dropped from the course. I enrolled my 5 year old daughter for piano lessons and my wife and I had to follow through with what ever was discussed/practiced in class, that's when the piano bug hit me. I bought an upright piano at a garage sale, bought Alfred's Self Teaching Adult Piano course and I am still in page 55 of the book, When the Saints Go Marching In with LH Melody and RH Chords. I still have a long way to go, and probably ask my daughter's teacher if she can also include me in her roster of older students.

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Welcome Kiko01, you will have lots of friends and supporters here.

Mark...

Welcome Kiko!!! I am sure you will enjoy playing!

(Well, I can't wait to get home from work and get playing tonight!!! My fingers feel itchy...)

Still playing 'Overture'
Clavinova CLP-240
[Linked Image]
Thanks a lot guys!

Hi Kiko. You're named after my favorite album ever.

Now we dolly back
Now we fade to black
Originally Posted by marimorimo
...I personally find Amazing Grace more difficult than The Entertainer, because the LH moves around a lot, and I had count very well so I could get it proper rhythm (it turned out my rhythm was uneven all along)...

I agree. I think Amazing Grace is the most difficult in Book #1. I guess that's why it's last. I have been working on it for about 6-weeks. I think I'll have it pretty well done next week. The Entertainer was difficult but not nearly so. Both hands move around quite a bit with AG compared to TE. Counting is also more important with AG. When I finish AG, it will have taken me about 19 months to complete Book #1. A lot longer than many I think, but I'm happy with my progress.

It's interesting that last March or April I thought I would be done in a few weeks. The last 10 to 15 pages are more difficult than I had imagined. I've started Book #2 while I finish AG. The start of Book #2 is mostly some review with some pretty simple pieces. I hope I can do Book #2 in another year and a half.

Rod Michael
Mason & Hamlin AA, SN 93018
Yamaha CGP-1000, SN UCNZ01010
Zoom Q3
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

A
A
I have heard the CD songs in Book 2. Just feel that Book 1 has more enjoyable songs than Book 2 although some in Book 2 are also nice.

I am at Scarborough Fair now but think that i still do not play Go Down Moses well, especially the third rows when we need to press 'A' (quarter note) followed by another 'A' and at the same time need to use sustain pedal

O
O
Gintarec, no problems with the signature!
My time scale is also by Christmas, although I've finally ordered that Alfreds Greatest Hits book, so that will keep me a bit busier. Glad to hear your lesson went so well too, it's making me REALLY want to get a teacher!!

Music_Girl, where abouts Bayside are you? I haven't really started looking yet, someone told me about www.amtr.com.au also. I'm looking at inner Bayside area, so around Albert Park area. If you find a good teacher before me (assuming you're in the same area) please let me know, as will I.

Am working on the Blues pieces now, must say I really don't like them at all! Can't wait for them to be over, not very motivating at all. All the more reason to get this Greatest Hits book to mix in with my practice, for times like this where I have 3 pieces to work on that I realy don't like.

Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course Book #1
Week 7
Kawai K-3
I 'think' I am nearly there with the 'Lullaby'. Although, I really don't like counting, so just play by the ear. While it is quarter notes, I am can force myself to count or to use metronome (don't like it), but when we have the half a beat note, I get lost and just play by the ear... Any tips on this?

I tried the next melody (can't remember what it is called), and it wasn't too bad, so hope that will not take too long! Oh, and a good friend just bought me one of the practice books the teacher suggested, so I just need to wait for Amazon to deliver it!

I am looking forward to try out those blues pieces, although I have no idea if I will like them!!!

I didn't do any 'warm up' before playing before, but I started with some exercises yesterday - I hope that will help me to coordinate my hands better in the long run and increase the strength of my fingers.

Still playing 'Overture'
Clavinova CLP-240
[Linked Image]
Page 139 of 452 1 2 137 138 139 140 141 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission