2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
32 members (admodios, busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 6 invisible), 1,167 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by BenPiano
I agree that a more properly edited video adds to the overall enjoyment of the experience, but it really is much more time consuming and is generally just a pain in the butt to produce! (for the most part)

Most of my videos I just use windows Live Movie Maker and sync up the audio and video (I record audio and video with individual devices). Add a title, a fade out at the end, and done.

That's all Windows Movie Maker is good for, really.

For a couple of special projects, I've used Sony Vegas. It's much more powerful, but the learning curve is fairly steep as well.

The one feature of Sony Vegas that I really like and adds a lot to a video production is the ability to zoom and pan on video, which gives the effect of the camera moving slowly. You select a beginning position and the ending position for the zoom and pan, and the software does the rest, moving the frame between those two positions over the time you select.

Here's an example of the zoom and pan feature:

I had 3 cameras set up, and my Zoom H1 recorded the audio. Very time consuming, but really makes a difference. Much better than my latest batch of stationary, out of focus videos. whome

That was great Ben! Both your playing and the video. Love the piano action shots too. I thought it was Einaudi until I read you composed it. I always enjoy your video work as well. I think the extra time for these creations is well worth the effort. The work can be saved forever and will be around when we are all gone...

I use Sony Vegas 10, but have not added or really knew about the panning and zoom. Excellent tip...must figure it out.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark...
I use Sony Vegas 10, but have not added or really knew about the panning and zoom. Excellent tip...must figure it out.

Thanks, Mark. I don't have vegas on this computer, but when I get the chance I'll put up some screenshots to better explain the feature.

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M

Thanks, Mark. I don't have vegas on this computer, but when I get the chance I'll put up some screenshots to better explain the feature.

That would be great. I was just look at it and wasn't getting to far... lol

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Amaruk
The video editor I am using is called Final Cut Pro X (Mac). However, it does not have this garbage matte effect built-in. Sony Vegas might have it as some editors do. Instead, I downloaded a free plug-in for my editor with this effect here:

http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/news/455-free-fcpx-8-point-garbage-matte

I use FCP too (version 6, bit old now) and I HAVE been doing garbage matte. From top of my head, the built-in uses squares but there are plugins for multipoint (polygon) garbage matte. And you can always make the overlay transparent by multiplying with an image mask if you need more advanced.

FCP is a pro tool, not something you learn in a few minutes like movie maker or iMovie. But you can do about everything imaginable with it (in combination with Motion). I have been scaling, warping parts of the video, tracking fragments, extreme slowdowns, rotations, time warps, compensated shakes of elements in the video, Green screening, generate overlays, sweeps, fades. You can make custom filters to do special effects on pixel base. Every effect can be time-dependent.

The compressor tool coming with FCP is quite flexible but imho too fragile. Sometimes it fails alltogether but usually it is just ok.

Last edited by wouter79; 02/14/13 04:23 PM.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wouter79

I use FCP too (version 6, bit old now) and I HAVE been doing garbage matte. From top of my head, the built-in uses squares but there are plugins for multipoint (polygon) garbage matte.

Correct, I forgot to mention that. The plug-in I am using is a 8-point polygon type.

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Most of my videos I just use windows Live Movie Maker and sync up the audio and video (I record audio and video with individual devices). Add a title, a fade out at the end, and done.

Good points Ben and what a lovely piece you composed for your late co-worker!! To see the action like this in your video was great too!

On Mac computers there is also iMovie (similar to Movie maker on Windows) which also can be used for those who want to do basic editing. It is included in the OS so it is a good way to start out I think.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
when I get the chance I'll put up some screenshots to better explain the feature.

So, you have your video inserted into the timeline. Right click, and a menu comes up. Click on "Video Event Pan/Crop"

You should get this sub-window:

[Linked Image]

Now, you have to set the points that the pan / crop will "bounce" between.

Below, the BIG arrow shows the diamonds, or the points that you fix. Here, there is automatically one set at the beginning.

If I want to add one at the point I scrolled to, the circled part, I click on the "+" (little arrow) to create a new diamond, or fixed point.

[Linked Image]

So now, you have to tell the software how you want the pan and zoom to begin and end.

Below, I click on the very first diamond to put the clock back at 0.00, and zoom in , rotate, do whatever, to tell this thing where I want the frame to begin.

The part inside the box with the "F" is the part the viewer will see, with the straight edge on the bottom of the box on the bottom of the screen.

[Linked Image]

(Pic below) Then, you gotta click on the second diamond (the one you added), to set the camera for the second point.

Zoom it in, zoom it out, rotate it a bit, do whatever (in the case below, extreme and too close). The software will create a path from the first "F" box to the second "F" box as the video plays during the times that you set up with those little diamonds.

[Linked Image]

You can create more than just 2 diamonds, and have the camera bounce or ping around all the points you set up. With images or different clips, you gotta set each one up.

I hope that helped a bit! smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Another fun one I did more than 2 years ago with an older version of Sony Vegas. I made this video just for an experiment, and had a little fun with a piece I had recently finished, "The Sick Doll".

I wanted to figure out how to do split screen (or more). Both frames are independently panned / zoomed from still images. My old computer at the time struggled rendering this. I would imagine newer pc's and the newer software don't sweat this at all.

The video is a sort of educational and slightly misleading:

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Worked all night, but I will be using your tutorials this weekend. Thanks Ben!

And the "Sick Doll" video was great...the music alone is a lesson in itself too...

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Hey Ben!!!!!!!!!!!! I used your Vegas tutorial and did the following video. It just has some panning in the very beginning. If you notice it takes the video off to cause black bars on the side and bottom. I played with it for a long time but couldn't get it to zoom in and out. I was able add the diamonds, but how you get the video to do what you want between the diamonds is still a problem. Any suggestions?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Any suggestions?

Just remember that the box with the "F" in it is the screen that the viewer will see. I'm not sure exactly what's going on, but I suspect that where you set the box with the "F" for the initial diamond was slightly off the edge of what your camera recorded.

If this what I think it is, make sure the box with the "F" is always entirely within the video you recorded or the picture you're using

To zoom in and out, you place your cursor on the box with the "F" to click and drag it in and out. To get the film to rotate, click and drag on that big circle on the outside to select you orientation.

There's got to be a video tutorial somewhere that would explain this much better than me here jabbering! grin

p.s. - nice piece! smile

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Thanks Ben, I have to try it again. I'll check U tube for a tutorial too...

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
I found this decent tutorial:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...LhYF8&v=HLsRAMf0-S0&noredirect=1[/video]

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Using Ben's advise and the previous video tutorial I was able to add the zoom feature to the previous video in the very beginning:

D
D7K Offline
D
I'm very new to the Piano, but not to video and sound. Vegas or even 64 bit Movie Studio record decent sound if you have either a good sound card or an external mixer. Audacity is a free "sound" program, but there are others that I think are better if you want to play with your sound. Sound Forge (I tend to use Sony products but there are many others that are very good) is also a good was to manage a sound file. So it comes down to does your video editor do sound good enough for you or do you need to add a digital audio workstation/software?

I have a lot of Acid loops and have use Acid for a long time, there are newer programs that are 64 bit and allow for more special tools, but I got AcidPro with a very neat Garritan library which is useful as my P105 has very few voices. That being said to just start at a low price (check Amazon) Sony Movie studio does a very fine good of recording sound and working with Video for less than $100. You can also get a free version of Acid to work with the sound free. I'd start with the video editor and see if its sound functions work for you.

Be advised that HD (even 720) takes a pretty powerful computer - one running at least a 64 bit system with 8 megs of ram with a fast multicore CPU if you don't want to be frustrated. Rendering (making it useable on the web or DVD) at HD (I'd recommend 720 for Youtube or Vimeo) can take a very long time on a underpowerd computer if it renders at all.

Last edited by D7K; 02/18/13 03:02 PM.

Jeff
Casio PX-5S Pro - my new adventure
Yamaha p105 - gone but not forgotten
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
D7K, welcome to the thread...after I bought my Sony Vegas HD 10. last year I found my old computer would take forever to render a file. I upgraded to an i7 and now it flies.

Beside the Sony I also use Audacity to process the audio. I do have the free Acid program that came with Vegas, but haven't used it.

Right now I'm looking for cheap HD video cameras to ad other angles and eventually more microphone options as well.

In the mean time just trying to add more skills to the Vegas software.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by D7K

Be advised that HD (even 720) takes a pretty powerful computer - one running at least a 64 bit system with 8 GB of ram with a fast multicore CPU if you don't want to be frustrated.

So true (changed mb typo to gb)!!! For those of you who are on the fence looking to start out, make sure you try the video editor on your computer before you buy it. Not all systems (Windows especially) are created equally and an editor that freezes your computer is not very fun to work with.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Mark, great use of the zoom! It makes a huge difference I think. The trick is to use it in a natural way and you nailed it here!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Speaking about zooms... I think it would fun to use some sort of a "flycam" in a piano video sometime. Here is one type (which is often used by the famous PianoGuys) called the GlideCam:

[Linked Image]

But, which is obvious, this requires a person who holds the camera.

Here is one good example of a glidecam in use (PianoGuys & Jarrod Radnich):

[video:youtube]n4JD-3-UAzM[/video]

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Amaruk
Mark, great use of the zoom! It makes a huge difference I think. The trick is to use it in a natural way and you nailed it here!

Thanks Amaruk, got lucky on the zoom...

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission