Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 155 of 227 < 1 2 ... 153 154 155 156 157 ... 226 227 >
Topic Options
#2090067 - 05/27/13 05:55 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: 255]
Toastie Offline

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: 255
Originally Posted By: casinitaly
What are you pleased with this week?

I finally got a teacher.

Great news. What's your teacher like?
Grade 1 Sight Reading - finished
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
The Easy Piano Collection Classical Gold
Yamaha U3

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2090119 - 05/27/13 07:15 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
Wow! What a great list of achievements: new teacher, new challenging music, playing in public, recitals, recordings and Dubussy too. Kudos to all of you.

I've been immersed in final exams, grading, grade complaints etc...the usual for end of semester.

I was scheduled to take my piano theory exam (written) on May 18 and I studied and rested and felt prepared. When I arrived at the scheduled exam center there was not a soul in sight...no cars...no life at all. I called, I knocked on the door, I finally left my business card and went home disappointed. The Music Achievement Program (RCM) had confused the center director by cancelling one event but not all. SO...I had calls of apology from the center director and MAP. My exam was rescheduled at my convenience (that was nice) and I took the Basics Rudiments on Tuesday May 21. Felt like I passed...could have done well IF my less certain responses were indeed correct.

Next step is the performance exam for level 5 coming up on Saturday June 1 at a different location. Somedays I practice pretty well but other days...ouch. My listening skills (playback, intervals, clapping rhythms) all depend on how hard a test selection they give me. Hoping for the best.

I've missed being on PW. Good to know you're all doing well.

Love to learn

#2090121 - 05/27/13 07:17 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Break a leg, WiseBuff! I'll think about you on June 1 - good thoughts all the way!

Cathy

#2090140 - 05/27/13 07:56 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
Got the Seacoast NH Music Teachers' Honors rectial this Saturday June 1st. Heaven help me, but I have decided to play the Chopin a minor Grande Valse Brilliante from memory. I've worked very hard to get it really cemented in my mind. And reading it from music will only be confusing at this point. Another recital on Wednesday June 5th. I'm playing the Grieg Op 71 no 7 Remembrances for that. And NOT from memory. I've got the first page memorized. But, then I've found it difficult to memorize for some reason. The various modulations are so smilar but in different keys, and my brain is in revolt!!! So, from the music on Wednesday. Two more little pianos coming to my signature. Having these little medals for achievements is kind of fun! I'm so glad I found this site!!!

#2090438 - 05/28/13 02:45 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Ragdoll]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: Ragdoll
Quote:
I played the piano while everyone was talking and eating. My buddies were closest to the piano and could actually hear me (It was pretty noisy in the room) - and I got applause. That was fun.

I guess so Cheryl, what fun. What sort of things did you play? Was the piano a good one...in tune I hope. grin

I played Sneakin' Round and Gypsy Legend - not too much but it was important to me to give it a try and take the challenge!

#2090500 - 05/28/13 08:06 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
AOTW is finally learning how to slow down and turn the volume down on midi files. I have an old laptop hooked up to my dp which can play midi files through the dp and thus into my headphones (my wife could not put up with the noise of me practicing....neither can I some days).

Anyway I always read you will benefit by playing along with another piano player, although I will settle for a midi file. But despite several months of tinkering I could not get a system up and working, Yesterday I cracked it, so look out there is two of us now.

#2090514 - 05/28/13 08:28 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisboa, Portugal
warlock214 - Congrats on your achievement with dynamics.
Michael_99 - Nice to read your detailed opinion about so great stuff. And good luck with your new piece.
floydthebarber71 - 20min is better than nothing. Keep practicing!
ElleC - Great news about your Prelude in Em. Can we ear your record?
rnaple - Beeing constructuive is always a good point of view. Nice story.
casinitaly - Yeah, congratulations! I wish I could listen your performance. Must have been fun!
FarmGirl - Yes, play it slowly, fell the music and enjoy. It's always a good approach.
Saranoya - I'm sure you'll do your "exame" with confindence. Try to think you are going to have a good time playing for friends, and enjoy.

More later...

CarlosCC records
Self-learning since 12/2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

#2090760 - 05/28/13 02:56 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Dumik Offline

Played Chopin´s Nocturne No.9 Op.2 through for the first time today and it even sounded pretty nice. Of course its not even near perfection but still, i´m pretty happy! I´m so glad that i picked up that piece, although it felt really really hard when I started to play it (and still does).

Edited by Dumik (05/28/13 03:00 PM)

#2090762 - 05/28/13 02:57 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Toastie]
255 Offline

Originally Posted By: Toastie
Great news. What's your teacher like?

He's a professional pianist, he's young and motivated, and well... since he's my first one I can't compare him with anyone else but he's ok and now I'm not lost anymore about what and how practicing.

#2090807 - 05/28/13 04:35 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
torquenale Offline

My recital is coming... Saturday June 1st.
Last Sunday I had my second rehearsal in front a competent public (a former piano teacher, friend of my mother); I was really nervous, my hands were so cold and I made some errors but didn't stop - big improvement for me.
I got advices from her.

I wonder how I will survive a hall full of people (it will my next AOTW!)...

#2090814 - 05/28/13 04:50 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Cheryl,

Way to go, putting yourself out there in the public eye. It must have felt great to get that applause out of the crowd.

I had a very good lesson today. I played my recital piece, which is a short melodic section that comes in the middle of the third movement of Chopin's piano sonata no.2. I managed get through it with only a minor slip the first time through, and pretty much as intended on the repeat. My teacher had some very nice things to say. Even though I suspect she was pumping up the team in anticipation of the big game next Sunday, I'll take the compliments. Oddly, I'm actually kind of looking forward to the recital this year. Maybe I'll find that inner child yet. grin

She goes on vacation after the recital, so she also gave me a new piece to work on by Scriabin. She played it for me, and casually added "after you learn this you will never have a problem with three against two." Yikes, it is all three against two.....some of it three against two in the same hand! arggggh.

Estonia L190 #7284

#2090821 - 05/28/13 05:06 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
Good luck to everyone playing a recital this weekend! The ABF will be pulling for you!!! I know each and every one of us will do our best. Hopefully we will have some fun and enjoy playing for other people too.

I had a good dry run today. Friday the piano will have been moved into th recital room and I have been told I can do a dry run if I want to. I think I will. Anything to make myself more comfortable for SAturday.

Good luck everyone!!!!

#2090850 - 05/28/13 06:25 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Catching up!
Warlock - congrats on improving your dynamics - it is lots of fun when you can get rolling on adding expression to the notes!

Saranoya - In boca al lupo for your exam! (you have to say "crepi") (It means "in the mouth of the wolf" to the person taking the challenge, and the reply is "he will die". It is similar to "Break a leg" in English. You just can't say "good luck" to an Italian for an exam, so I will just extend the net to include Belgium.

MaryBee, judging from your last few recital pieces, I would say your teacher isn't getting soft - but rather you are definitely making some big strides in your playing!

Jim - I haven' had any problems with deciding on shoes (at home I usually wear flipflops)...however my first teacher did warn me to never wear high heels for a performance. So...watch out for that eh?

Michael - you always show how much joy you get from playing the piano - congrats on stepping out of your comfort zone to try something new!

Floyd - you are certainly determined and dedicated to getting in as much practice as you can. Obviously things move slowly when you don't have much time but you can make the most of what you have!

ElleC - have fun with the Grieg piece!

Rmaple - you've got a positive outlook, but it does sound like the performance overall was a let down. Better luck next time.

SwissMS - thanks smile I think the trick was that I went up to the piano after an 8 year old, and before the other 2 REALLY GOOD pianists lol. It was fun though. It sounds like your Liszt is really coming along - I look forward to hearing it !

FarmGirl - Hang in there , your Mozart will come together before you know it!

SandTiger, I like to hear about your inspiration!

255 - Congrats on your teacher - Have fun and learn lots!

Wisebuff - how very disconcerting to be set for your exam and have a no show from the examiners!!!!! I hope your impression of how well you did is right (and it probably is...we tend to be overly critical of ourselves) - and best wishes for the 1 June session!

Dynambot - sounds like you've got a lovely set of pieces for the recital - best wishes and do let us know how it all goes!

Earlofmar - techno-success! So..does this mean that you have musically cloned yourself?

CarlosCC - thanks - and hey, you HAVE heard my performance...:) But yes it would be fun to play/listen in person --- Next year Lisboa for the EPP!

Dumik - What a wonderful feeling when you start to sound "pretty nice" - Chopin is so challenging that we need that first level of "ah, ok, I'm on the right path!"

Torquenale - another recital on 1 June! In boca al lupo (and I know you don't need the explanation!

Jim: You know, it is funny , I didn't feel I was putting myself on the spot at all - my friends all know I'm a newbie (compared to all of them!) and they were so encouraging and very sweet.
Another "in boca al lupo" to you too for your recital - it sounds like you are very well prepared! I supposed one day I'll be trying to do this mysterious 3 against 2 that seems to be all the rage lately wink

I had a good lesson today - played the Radetzky with my young friend and we got through 2 of the 5 pages (big print) sounding like we were actually playing the well known piece. It was fun. I got good feedback on my 2 Schumann pieces and we picked out Beethoven's Ecossaise in E flat for me to try - and I think I'm also going to go back to Beethoven's Sonatina in G. I had started on that a good while back, but then got hit very hard with some tension issues and ended up dropping it. I am curious to see how I do with it now, after all the things I've been working on since then.

#2091178 - 05/29/13 07:17 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Yes! Excited! I bought myself a new Mac! I couldn't take the PC problems anymore. Hope you understand my Piano runs on my computer. Now maybe I can concentrate on music instead of technical problems.

I wish everyone the best. Recitals, tests, teachers, new music. Sounds like everyone is accomplishing.

#2091196 - 05/29/13 08:10 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: rnaple]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
It doesn't matter how old you are, you are always learning something. I had surgery in late January and the doctor told me it could take 6 months to get back to normal. So this is 4 months and things are good but the weeds in the tiny lot are up to my waist and I am 6 foot tall. So I realized I had to do something or I wouldn't be able to find the front door to the little shack amongst the weeds. But doing so means I have to leave my piano unattended! So yesterday I got up at 5 a.m. and worked till noon and then the rain came - so wet - I had to quit. So hopefully - now 5:00 - today I can get rid of the weeds and have the place looking almost civilized. I got up at 4 a.m. and played the piano for an hour so there is an incentive to get the weeds under control . So my achievement of the week is getting rid of the weeds and what got me excited is that get to play the piano without worrying about the weeds.

Edited by Michael_99 (05/29/13 08:13 AM)

#2091206 - 05/29/13 08:25 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Quote:
I played Sneakin' Round and Gypsy Legend - not too much but it was important to me to give it a try and take the challenge!

Oh I remember that song "Sneakin Around". In fact it's in one of those books you told me about. grin It looks like a fun piece to play too.

Never get directions from someone who hasn't been there.

Just be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

#2091209 - 05/29/13 08:27 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisboa, Portugal
Michael_99 - Yes, right. Sometimes is good to put the "weeds" away from our lifes.

CarlosCC records
Self-learning since 12/2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

#2091210 - 05/29/13 08:29 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: torquenale]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
I was really nervous, my hands were so cold and I made some errors but didn't stop

That's an AOTW right there. I used to always stop or hesitate when I flubbed something. Now I just try to play right through it. Good for you! thumb

#2091304 - 05/29/13 11:05 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

A really great lesson yesterday, teacher passed me on Lunar Eclipse and I passed myself on Snowflake being satisfied with it now. So it's back to "Down By The Sally Gardens" and continuing with "Come Back to Sorrento". I have made pretty good progress on the latter. Teacher says I'm soooo ambitious because I have not previously studied the techniques involved in this piece <shrug>...I'm having fun with it and learning them as I go. laugh

#2091562 - 05/29/13 06:35 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Michael_99]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Originally Posted By: Michael_99
... there is an incentive to get the weeds under control ...get to play the piano without worrying about the weeds.

Get yourself a sheep, or goat, or cow. Anything that eats grass. They include an automatic fertilizer...for free! How can ya beat that? Huh? Just add water.

#2091734 - 05/29/13 10:50 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
PaperClip Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Amsterdam, Holland
Achievement today:

Finally I learned the last bit of nocturne c-sharp minor.

I made a chord map with colors to hopefully understand more about chord progression and chord modulation (I dont understand much right now).

Made my first post in the photo gallery forum and now I'm testing it:

Ok, it works. smile

Playing since May 02 2009

#2091736 - 05/29/13 10:52 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Gorgeous! What do the colours mean?

#2091756 - 05/29/13 11:00 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
A few corrections in the minor chart:

II should be ii°, with diminished chords.

The final column should either be VII (major) built on the seventh note of the natural minor scale: Bb in C minor, B in C# minor, etc. Or it should be vii° (diminished) built on the seventh note of the harmonic minor scale: Bdim in C minor, B#dim in C# minor, etc.

Check some of the triads against notes in the key to verify this.

In minor keys, the v chord is frequently replaced with V, using the raised leading tone from the harmonic minor scale.

#2091780 - 05/29/13 11:12 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
PaperClip Offline
500 Post Club Member

(Colours in image: each color represent a chord, so you can see how a chord is represented in a different key. For instance key C major dominant chord is the same as key G major tonic chord.)

Thank you for corrections pianostudent! I'll have to study your answer though. It's at the rim of my understanding right now.

I'm aware its still full of errors, but hopefully when I correct them all and double check them, I will understand more about chord modulation, heh.

#2091805 - 05/29/13 11:27 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Paperclip - what a great way to see patterns! Very neat.

Cathy

#2091923 - 05/30/13 04:25 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: PaperClip]
Exalted Wombat Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London UK
Originally Posted By: PaperClip
Achievement today:

Finally I learned the last bit of nocturne c-sharp minor.

I made a chord map with colors to hopefully understand more about chord progression and chord modulation (I dont understand much right now).

Made my first post in the photo gallery forum and now I'm testing it:

Ok, it works. smile

And is very pretty! But what does it tell us? That a diatonic triad built on D occurs in many keys? Sorry to throw cold water, but what do you understand after making this chart that you didn't understand before?

Well done on the Nocturne though!

Edited by Exalted Wombat (05/30/13 04:26 AM)

#2091938 - 05/30/13 06:10 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Exalted Wombat]
PaperClip Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Exalted Wombat

And is very pretty! But what does it tell us? That a diatonic triad built on D occurs in many keys? Sorry to throw cold water, but what do you understand after making this chart that you didn't understand before?

Well done on the Nocturne though!

Thanks!

Well, it's sort of a mind map. Correcting all the errors in it, will result in at least a correct mindmap. In that way it's a practise thingy.

But I would also like to compose a chord progression and modulation by myself. The colors let me easily find to which key I could modulate. Then find the next chord and modulate again.

So in key of C major: I-IV-V-I, I could make it longer like:

I(key C major) - IV(key C major)=I(key F major) - V(key F major)..........V(key C major) - I(key C major)

Then I could play it on the piano and hear how it sounds. The colors let me make and find new combinations and try them out. I think I need to hear and experiment chord progression and modulation to understand what it does to my ears.

Now I can explore that, before I figure out how the circle of fifths works. I just need sound. Sort of a cheat sheet, heh.

#2091963 - 05/30/13 07:48 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: PaperClip]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

PaperClip... I like your grid there.

Check out "The Chord Wheel", which is both a book and an iPhone app, but you can get a lot out of it just by looking at an image from a Google search. It's based on the Circle of Fifths, and shows what you are trying to get at but in a more spatially oriented fashion.

For instance, in your example above, the V of F is just C anyway, so you haven't modulated off of C. I'm sure it's just a dashed off example, so I don't mean that as a critique, but The Chord Wheel will let you see at a glance which chords are in the same general neighborhood and their function in each key. It's great for analyzing chord progressions of songs/pieces as well.

I do like your color system better though... it lets you see the commonalities more readily.

EW - as with all such visualizations, there is no new data, but a new way to access and grasp the data. Of course most of us know Dmaj triad is in many keys... but which ones? I'd venture to say that most of us don't know this off the top of our heads.

Lemme try to work it out with Cmaj triad, away from the piano and not looking above... C, G, F? I'm not really sure without looking.

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2092039 - 05/30/13 10:39 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
PaperClip Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks for the tip, tallguy!

I downloaded the chord wheel image. It seems a good idea to have a lot of perspectives. The coin may eventually fall.

The coin is a bit sticky due bubblegum, so my head probably needs some more jamming against the wall before my lightbulb is switched on. grin

#2092047 - 05/30/13 10:50 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

I like the colors and the chart, too. The circle of fifths was an early eye-opener for me, but I've taught (not piano) a long time and there are people for whom the colors would make a lot more sense. It was always amazing to me the way the light turned on for different people, and fascinating to watch them sort things out in their own ways. And just the process of sorting it out in their own way, in addition to trying to figure out the way somebody else sorted it, helped all of us to understand it better. So I think this is a super chart smile

Cathy

Page 155 of 227 < 1 2 ... 153 154 155 156 157 ... 226 227 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
110 registered (AndrewAJC, anotherscott, Beakybird, AndyG123, AmateurBob, BB Player, 33 invisible), 1407 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75353 Members
42 Forums
155807 Topics
2287825 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Happy Birthday transcribed for Organ
by musdan
07/12/14 09:09 AM
How do you get $1,000-2,000 for an Out-of-Tune piano??!!?
by Paul678
07/12/14 09:05 AM
Keeping a digital piano in storage - worth it?
by hexentanz
07/12/14 05:22 AM
Personal monitors
by Tim K
07/12/14 02:55 AM
Happy Birthday Transcription for the Organ
by musdan
07/12/14 01:41 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission