Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
100 registered (AmateurBob, Anne'sson, Alan F, Anita Potter, 32 invisible), 1476 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 177 of 245 < 1 2 ... 175 176 177 178 179 ... 244 245 >
Topic Options
#2137574 - 08/23/13 07:45 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Exalted Wombat Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London UK
Originally Posted By: casinitaly
In a way I agree with your teacher. I don't think anyone should be obliged to participate in a recital - and I don't think you should be obliged to play without music if you want your music!

Recitals can be pretty dismal occasions. But we see many reports here of the sense of accomplishment they can bring. Same with exams.

A good teacher (and a good student - never forget that part) constantly extends the student's "comfort zone" with minimum recourse to confrontation or obligation.

But playing an instrument is an activity which becomes pretty pointless unless there's an occasional requirement to "come up with the goods"!

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2138007 - 08/23/13 11:10 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Aww, sad for the recital heartbreaks.

When I took adult group class, our recitals were a blast. There was only one rule: "YOU MAY NOT TALK." We could stop, start, go back, skip, start over again, stop, slow down, speed up, and whatever else, but just no talking.

My accomplishment is that I got a new job. I haven't quite gotten rid of my old job yet, and this week of 2 full times is really more work than I am comfortable with.

I hope the new gig leaves me enough energy for the piano.

*exhausted*

#2138085 - 08/24/13 03:27 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Malkin congrats on the new job - and good luck holding down both jobs for the next 2 weeks! Yikes!

I think that the "no talking" rule is a good one.
My first teacher really worked at drumming that into me - no talking - and no making faces smile

If somebody messes up a little, chances are the others may not really notice- and if they mess up a lot, well, everyone notices--- in both cases talking about it is just an unnecessary/further distraction.

If we work on playing through the rough spots they become easier and easier to manage (well, that's the theory, I'm still testing it out!)

Edited to add: my real achievement this week is getting a good recordin go my Grieg piece before heading off for 2 weeks!
Yippee!

Edited by casinitaly (08/24/13 05:35 AM)
Edit Reason: feeling pleased with myself? :)

#2138157 - 08/24/13 09:10 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Just checking in here to say hi to everyone. No real accomplishments except getting back to the bench after a week on the road, plus trying to catch up on the ABF recital. The break was a setback for my early-stage pieces, but actually improved my play on the one that I am polishing. That was a pleasant surprise. laugh

Estonia L190 #7284

#2138255 - 08/24/13 12:24 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Online   content

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
My achievement is that I survived the week. Never knew there were so many fine piano players in town. I went to the local piano club event with our own Carey and several others from my teachers studio. I only took people with 40+ years of playing experience. I had a hunch that the piano club people are high caliber players. Every time I call for detail people tell me something like "oh I'm teaching a student now can I call you back.". I enjoyed the night and would go there every month. It will provide me with good opportunity to prepare for exams and on stage performance with amateur pianists in Japan next year. But it was kinda like piano jury. But I vowed to continue my own piano party too. Hey we need a farm league piano party too. Where pianists perform anything they want, repeat if they screw up and play anything impromptu.

I'm leaving for Maine tomorrow. Now I frankly do not know why I need this. When I signed up for it last year, I wanted to have playing opportunities and meet real life piano friends. Now it's the opposite. All my friends are piano friends. It seems like pianists keep popping up from anywhere. I like it but I think I had to contain it in a manageable level.
Solo - Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Schumann Op 12 Warum and Grillen and Mozart K 475 Fantasy C minor
Collaboration - Concerto in C for Oboe and orchestra attributed to Haydn edited by Evelyn Rosewell

#2138835 - 08/25/13 03:06 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Sand Tiger Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
Week 76: I work on a new song, Hummingbird. It is a simple child-like tune. Separately, I scratch out some lyrics to a another song. This second song may be too depressing to get it to where it is song (vs. a first draft of some lyrics).

I attend the church cafe night. There are two pianists, two singer-songwriters. After clean up, and the crowd is gone, I play Avenue D on the grand piano on stage. I get it started okay, but falter on the high notes.

I do not envy those that are trying to make a living at music. One of the songwriters joked about his first published song, that the royalties were enough to buy a single guitar string. It is tough out there. Just to get any song published and covered tends to have lottery-like odds for a person without strong industry connections.

Have a good week everyone. Keep those reports coming.

#2139184 - 08/26/13 12:04 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Jean-Luc Offline

Loc: France
I managed to play REALLY slowly !
It is something I wasn't able to. Reaching a certain level of "slowness" I wasn't able to hear the music anymore and I got lost and suddenly, today, I finally managed to slow down enough to play a couple of bars that were giving me trouble and still hear the music despite the slow pace.
It's funny how hard it can be to slow down a lot smile

Jean-Luc

#2139194 - 08/26/13 12:30 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Sand Tiger]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Malkin - The "do not talk" rule is a good one. Unfortunately for me, I haven't learned it yet. My teacher threatened me with duck tape. Now I can keep my mouth shut most of the time. Congratulations on your new job!

JimF - I am glad you finally joined the recital! It is addicting after the first one!

Casinitaly - Congratulations on getting a good Grieg recording. It sounds like you had some challenges with this piece, and mastering it is a great accomplishment.

Sand Tiger - I admire your talent to compose music! Your work is very nice.

FarmGirl - It sounds like you have discovered/created quite a wonderful social circle around the piano. That is my goal as well!

My achievement this week is getting good recordings for the Grieg recital, but it turns out I am not as finished with my Grieg pieces as I thought. I found out today I will be playing them in an adult recital at the end of September. I won't have anything else that will be ready by then, so I will just keep polishing the two Grieg pieces. Fortunately I really enjoy them!

Fall is "back to school time" so my teacher loaded me up with new repertoire that I am excited about. My only continuing piece besides the Grieg is the Bach Invention. We added a Kuhlau Sonatina and a couple of etudes for technique work, and a Villa-Lobos piece for challenge. The Villa-Lobos is not like anything I have ever done before, so it will be interesting. My teacher is from Brazil, and knows his music very well. It should be fun!

European Piano Party July 4, 2015 in Switzerland!

#2139335 - 08/26/13 05:57 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Rik51 Offline

Loc: Dorset, UK
My achievement of the week!
I registered with PW and this is my first post!

Hello everybody.

Rik

#2139348 - 08/26/13 06:13 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Rik51]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi Rik, and welcome to the AOTW thread. Have you been playing a long time? What kind of music are you working on now? You can celebrate anything here, no matter how small. We love baby-steps at AOTW....

Estonia L190 #7284

#2139349 - 08/26/13 06:19 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Rik51]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Originally Posted By: Rik51
My achievement of the week!
I registered with PW and this is my first post!

Hello everybody.

Rik

You do not know what you have gotten into smile

Cathy

#2139413 - 08/26/13 09:27 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
alans Offline

In the past I have talked way too much at my lessons. Especially when I feel like I've accomplished something I can't shut up. I took lessons with one person who loved to talk as much as I did. And she was a major clock watcher so we would gab for most of my lesson and then she would tell me to pack up. Starting with a new teacher this fall I am afraid of falling into bad habits. My experience has been that with many teachers if you like to talk they will indulge you. So I have to be really rigorous with myself this time around.

#2139743 - 08/27/13 04:49 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Rik51 Offline

Thanks for the welcome.

I started playing about four years ago. At my first lesson my piano teacher asked me what I wanted to play, and didn't flinch at all when I replied 'Pictures at an Exhibition'. Needless to say, I haven't started that piece yet, but I keep the first page of the score on the piano to remind me where I'm going (I wish!!).
I'm currently working on MacDowells 'To a Wild Rose' and a Bach minuet in B minor ( no 1 from French Suite No 3).

I've never taken any exams, but I'm planning on attempting ABRSM grade 5 next year.
Definately be on this board if I pass!

Rik

#2139750 - 08/27/13 04:55 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: alans]
Rik51 Offline

Hi Alans
I used to do talk too much.
Now I have a strategy.
I give myself one whole lesson every year where I don't play the piano at all. Instead we talk music, review progress, consider new pieces, I hear my teacher play, and what she is learning. We talk pianos, and argue about my digital.
I figure one lesson a year is worth it to keep me focused for all the rest.

Rik

#2139786 - 08/27/13 06:23 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Gee.... You're not supposed to talk at lessons?.... .... ... Doh!

#2141624 - 08/31/13 12:29 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Jessiebear Offline

Loc: New Zealand
My achievement this week is nailing a few REALLY tricky sections of my two pieces, and not giving up until I could. I don't have a teacher so am pretty proud smile
(They are technically more difficult than I've ever done even when I had lessons back in the dark ages hehe)

#2141700 - 08/31/13 07:56 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Jessiebear]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Jessiebear
My achievement this week is nailing a few REALLY tricky sections of my two pieces, and not giving up until I could. I don't have a teacher so am pretty proud smile
(They are technically more difficult than I've ever done even when I had lessons back in the dark ages hehe)

Congrats JessieBear, and welcome!

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2141978 - 08/31/13 09:18 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Palmpirate Offline

Loc: B.C.Canada
Back at home. It's seems like one step forward and two teps back with all this travelling. But I tried my Chopin Nocturne op27 no2 with the metronome at 55 for the semiquavers, not the dottend crochet... very slow...
and i made it throught the first page! Will I ever get through the next page...

#2141980 - 08/31/13 09:23 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Palmpirate Offline

Loc: B.C.Canada
oh, those typos! so sorry if that offends. rather like wrong notes! I blame that ipad keyboard not my fingers!

#2141990 - 08/31/13 09:59 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]

AOTW - I completed Summerkeys performance. I did Mozart 2 piano performance. My husband loved it. I also performed Bach f minor prelude from book II of the WTF and my first ever chamber music. Especially the mozart piece was such an energetic piece that I almost passed out after the performance. I am drinking wine and stuffing my face with snacks today after a full course lobster meal. I know I have to go back to the grind of middle management once I go home. But life is good right now right here (saying so while taking another sip of wine).
Solo - Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Schumann Op 12 Warum and Grillen and Mozart K 475 Fantasy C minor
Collaboration - Concerto in C for Oboe and orchestra attributed to Haydn edited by Evelyn Rosewell

#2142038 - 09/01/13 12:00 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
FarmGirl..... Congratulations! Sounds like you had a great week.

#2142077 - 09/01/13 01:26 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
jaymes677 Offline

I have my first two pieces memorized. Had my best run through of each this morning. Got excited that the 2nd piece seemed much easier to learn than the first. Let's see how the next one goes.

#2142110 - 09/01/13 04:40 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Jessiebear Offline

Well done Farmgirl what an achievement, that must feel pretty good laugh

#2142114 - 09/01/13 04:56 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: jaymes677]
Jessiebear Offline

Originally Posted By: jaymes677
I have my first two pieces memorized. Had my best run through of each this morning. Got excited that the 2nd piece seemed much easier to learn than the first. Let's see how the next one goes.

That's awesome Jaymes!

#2142144 - 09/01/13 07:28 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Farmgirl, we all knew you would thrive at someplace like Summerkeys. I really admire the way you always seem to be putting yourself in just the right spot to push your piano skills to the max. Thanks for the continued inspiration.

Estonia L190 #7284

#2142179 - 09/01/13 09:33 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]

JimF, you are very kind. SummerKeys seem to bring out everyone's music potential. Now my hubby is seriously thinking about picking up violin! I think a week of hungong around with the string players made him think about it. They kindly adopted me into their group and invited us to their hime parties and jamming sessions. It would be great if we could go together. We could have a piano party then.

#2142191 - 09/01/13 09:59 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: FarmGirl]
Sand Tiger Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
Jaymes and Jessiebear, welcome to the AOTW tribe.

Farmgirl, I enjoyed reading your Summerkeys updates on the other thread. Usually I am amped up after performing. My crash tends to occur the next day, and the next few days, because of the vast energy expended rehearsing and then performing.

Week 77: I start on some new projects. I learn about the Alberti bass pattern, from a tutorial on how to play the pop song, Come Sail Away by Styx. The pattern is left hand arpeggio: 1 5 3 5 (low note, high note, middle, high) and then repeat. Composer Domenico Alberti [1710-1740 Italy] used the pattern so much, that it is named for him. The most famous occurrence is in the beginning of Mozart's Piano Sonata K545.

I print out an arrangement of Bill Withers, Ain't No Sunshine [when she is gone]. As is often the case, I don't care for the arrangement and will likely do my own, if I want to learn the song. The arranging tends to more than triple the time to learn the song. Triple of what most already think is a snail's pace of learning. That said, my songwriting is what drives me, and arranging is an excellent way to get better at writing my own music, so it is not time wasted.

I spend some time on much neglected scale work. My left hand scale fingering can be all over the place, so I find some fingering charts online and print a few out. I am not a fan of learning all the scales. The one or two for the songs I am working on is plenty. More than that and I get confused.

Have a good week everyone.

Edited by Sand Tiger (09/01/13 07:38 PM)

#2142310 - 09/01/13 03:05 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]

Sand tiger

Thanks for your comment. I admire you and FOYD folks. Probably it's a good thing to keep track of the practice. My Japanese pianist friend does it on his blog. He is an excellent pianist. I am yet to bring myself to that. I'm a bit afraid of organization.

#2142439 - 09/01/13 07:11 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
255 Offline

Got my first DP.
Clavinova CLP-430.
I'm very happy, I couldn't live longer with semi-weighted keys, makeshift music stand, low chair, cheap speakers, booting the computer to have decent sound.
I hope this new instrument will make me learn faster.
smile

#2142491 - 09/01/13 08:53 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
neuralfirings Offline

FarmGirl, can you share the link to your friend's practice blog? I also started a blog and am curious to see what others are doing.

My achievement of the week is that I memorized the coda of Chopin's Ballade No. 1. It's... clunky, but at least now I'm not constantly referring to the score while practicing. Baby steps, right?

I also put together some wireframes with this music scores website I've been thinking about. It started as something to help me keep track of my practicing, but after talking to some of my music friends, it might turn into a tool others find useful. (If anybody is curious, I put together a questionnaire to gather feedback/explain the site: http://musical.neuralfirings.com/scoresprojectresearch/)

Page 177 of 245 < 1 2 ... 175 176 177 178 179 ... 244 245 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha
Yamaha
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha Grantouch GT 10
by Valhalun
11/22/14 11:55 PM
Hamelin plays Gershwin
by beet31425
11/22/14 11:02 PM
Yamaha CP1 Vs CP4 Regardless of Price and weight :)
by Tylor
11/22/14 10:21 PM
Which part of the chord rests
by Anita Potter
11/22/14 10:08 PM
Yamaha P250
by Mind Flayer
11/22/14 09:59 PM
Forum Stats
77013 Members
42 Forums
159278 Topics
2339792 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission