2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 6 invisible), 2,096 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
B
bzpiano Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
I found this:

Why parents should not bring their kids to commercial music studio at shopping center.

And

A review about commercial music studio's boss. Cameron Tong .

What do you think?

Piano lessons in Irvine, CA
Follow my 4YO student here: http://bit.ly/FollowMeiY
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I think it is a very well-maintained and professional-looking website.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
B
bzpiano Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Yes, actually I learn a lot from this teacher. I especially like his video of interviews with Dr. Kolar.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ezpiano.org

What do you think?

I think it is kind of slimy. He sounds like a used car salesman, not a piano teacher. Based on his website, I'd pass.

Gary
I found myself skimming through the site (not actually taking in much information); the readability of the site isn't good... for example, why is his bio post entirely in italics?

It looks like he used a template but took it the wrong way. On the main page, he has five different font colours. Five. Where does the viewer look first? Answer: the viewer leaves.

Maybe the designer in me is being nit-picky, but the website isn't drawing in a lot of students. (And it can be fixed with a few tweaks.)

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Maybe I'm just tired, but I find the site confusing. The header is for Irvine Piano Studio, the address block on the upper right is "Kevin Kao's Piano Studio," while the refers to "FreshStart Piano Studio."

The writing is awkward throughout, and the text was difficult to read. The criticism of the Irvine School of Music was not useful. Finally, I found this sentence in particular rather offensive, "Lastly, my Christian background and upbringing gives me a level of integrity that's not always guaranteed with others."

Hope that helps.
wink

Learner
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Bluoh
Answer: the viewer leaves.

Maybe the designer in me is being nit-picky, but the website isn't drawing in a lot of students.

But how do you know if a site is drawing in a lot of students or not? I do think your assessment is mildly on the nit-picky side.

Kevin's site looks a lot better than some other websites for piano studios around here (trust me--there are some major clunkers!), and the content is actually quite useful. I don't find the site hard to navigate or confusing at all.

B
bzpiano Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
the content is actually quite useful

I agree with Anz

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by malkin
Maybe I'm just tired, but I find the site confusing. The header is for Irvine Piano Studio, the address block on the upper right is "Kevin Kao's Piano Studio," while the refers to "FreshStart Piano Studio."

The writing is awkward throughout, and the text was difficult to read. The criticism of the Irvine School of Music was not useful. Finally, I found this sentence in particular rather offensive, "Lastly, my Christian background and upbringing gives me a level of integrity that's not always guaranteed with others."

Hope that helps.
wink

+1

Piano Teacher
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I can say his comparison to Tiger Wood's is crap. My daughter golfs with Tiger's first coach and he said that instantly everyone knew he had incredible raw talent. His regret was that the course members didn't appreciate him for reasons of race.

I would guess the same would be with Mozart - undeniable raw talent, but my daughter doesn't take lessons with his first piano teacher. cool

And just because my daughter has the same golf coach, no matter how committed she is, she won't be the next Tiger.

But if anyone has read Condoleezza Rice's bio and her career in ice skating, I think everyone one can agree that hard work and striving to be your best is more important than being the next Woods or Mozart.

A teacher promising more than that would make me leery.

C
C
Finally, I found this sentence in particular rather offensive, "Lastly, my Christian background and upbringing gives me a level of integrity that's not always guaranteed with others."

Hope that helps.
wink

Extremely offensive.

I didn't look through the whole website, but I do wholeheartedly agree with his stance on lessons at music centers.

Last edited by catpiano; 02/12/13 12:03 AM.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by catpiano
Finally, I found this sentence in particular rather offensive, "Lastly, my Christian background and upbringing gives me a level of integrity that's not always guaranteed with others."

Hope that helps.
wink

Extremely offensive.

Funny, I actually don't find that statement offensive. It comes across as opinionated and naive, but far from being really offensive.

The website's descriptions of commercial music schools are quite accurate, and Kevin's opinions on that topic are shared by lots and lots of piano teachers. Many local, private piano teachers who used to have 40-50 students are seeing a steady decrease of enrollment ever since the first of these "music schools" came to town, and which have since mushroomed everywhere.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
AZN: It's one thing to mention something about yourself (integrity, etc), however silly your excuses are (I'm A christian) and it's entirely a different league to be talking about the rest (they are NOT Christians and thus not as good as I am)...

I think...

L
L
A bit bizarre to publicly put down your employers method of business, and point people to your competing business, while still working there. Also a bad career move, in general, to publicly and negatively about a former employer (assuming one wants to continue to work in the industry). I guess he's committed to teaching privately smile

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I think the whole thing is incredibly confusing. The site itself is called "IrvinePianoStudio.com", but it also seems to be the website for the "FreshStart Piano Studio" and "Kevin Kao's Piano Studio."

It contains a blog entry criticizing the "commercial music studio at the shopping center" and Conrad Tao, the director of the Irvine Piano Studio. It seems odd that IrvinePianoStudio.com has a blog criticizing the owner of the IrvinePianoStudio.com.

I can only guess that Kevin Kao is IrvinePianoStudio.com's webmaster and that he's decided to use Conrad Tao's own website against him, in which case he has zero integrity whatsoever and could probably be sued for libel. (Although it seems Mr. Kao's blog entry on the "commercial music studio in shopping center" doesn't actually have any facts on Mr. Tao and never says exactly what went wrong.)

Mr. Kao is listed as the administrative and technical contact for the IrvinePianoStudio's website. On the site, he states that he no longer works for the Irvine Piano Studio, so he's apparently chosen to use the website to promote himself while criticizing his former boss.

Mr. Kao has also taken the Facebook url "http://www.facebook.com/IrvinePianoStudio" and turned it into the FreshStart studio instead.

The whole thing is terribly confusing. Mr. Kao has succeeded in destroying the Irvine Piano Studio and FreshStart Studio brands. And he shoots himself in the foot with that "my Christian background and upbringing gives me a level of integrity" comment. There is no integrity here. Since he hasn't released the IrvinePianoStudio's domain registration, he's robbed his former employer of the ability to maintain his online presence.

Mr. Kao may say he's not bitter and has a lot of integrity, but his actions tell a different story. He'd be better off taking the high road. Create a website for FreshStart piano studio and actually make a fresh start.

Originally Posted by ezpiano.org
I found this:

Why parents should not bring their kids to commercial music studio at shopping center.

And

A review about commercial music studio's boss. Cameron Tong .

What do you think?

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
B
bzpiano Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Actually, there is Irvine Piano Studio and there is Irvine School of Music.
Mr. K worked for Mr. T in Irvine School of Music in the past then later build up Irvine Piano Studio.
Very confusing, yes, I agreed.

Last edited by ezpiano.org; 02/12/13 05:48 PM.

Ugh...I thought that might be the case, but Irvine School of Music doesn't even bother to list the names of its teachers, further adding to the confusion.

What a horrible mess! All these random brand names and studio websites with no real information on actual people. It's like Bad Marketing 101.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kreisler
What a horrible mess! All these random brand names and studio websites with no real information on actual people. It's like Bad Marketing 101.

Oh, there's a reason for that!! Welcome to the mess.

By my count there are now over 13 "music schools" within a 5-mile radius, and I'm not counting the private studios. It's not fair to throw a blanket over all the "music schools" and say that they are all terrible; I have personal friends who--due to various reasons--must work for one of these places. And some of them are truly good teachers!

It's all about the mad grab for clients, which the city seems to have an endless supply of. So, of course, in this mad rush to get clients some "music schools" will resort to using negative ads and poaching of students from other studios. It's also difficult to maintain quality of a large school, as there are only so many good students to go around, and the great majority of the piano students are going to be average.

That being said, if you go to the local festivals, you can instantly tell which students study at the "music schools." The difference is night and day. It seems like the really, really good students have parents who took the time to seek out excellent private teachers. They are not interested in dropping off the kids at a plaza for lessons and then go grocery shopping for the next 30 minutes.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
*sigh*
I remember when Irvine Ranch was a ranch.

Learner
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Do you have to be Asian or Asian-American and a child to take piano lessons at one of these academies?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission