Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 5 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 15 >
Topic Options
#2024980 - 02/01/13 12:34 AM Re: MOYD 2013 [Re: casinitaly]
BillTheSlink Offline

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
I over slept this morning and had to reschedule. Now I have to wait until like the 14th or something. Bummer.
Currently I am without a piano, but when I get mine back I will be working on "The Complete Piano Player", as well as Neely's "How to Play from a Fake Book. I am spending my time working on theory and learning how to construct chords currently.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2025004 - 02/01/13 01:49 AM Re: MOYD 2013 [Re: WiseBuff]
swimMommy Offline

WiseBuff - Both my kids swim competitively and I spend a lot of time driving them to and from the pool, sometimes at 5am. I myself also swim, for fitness; so does my husband. Swimming is a great sport, I highly recommend it. And if you don't know how to swim, it's never too late to learn - just like playing the piano. I found swimming can be enjoyable, relaxing and frustrating; also just like learning to play the piano.

I would think your son will go back to play again in the future, and he'll be happy that he learned to play when he was a child.

#2025138 - 02/01/13 08:24 AM Re: MOYD 2013 [Re: casinitaly]
scorpio Online   content

Loc: Connecticut, USA
January is gone, and I have been faithful. In fact I may have over practiced. But that has been a good thing. I have found practice time to be therapeutic; playing takes me away from the daily grind and allows for peace and solitude. I can not be more happy that I have finally started to learn.

Yamaha P-155

#2025376 - 02/01/13 03:12 PM Re: MOYD 2013 [Re: casinitaly]
    torquenale Offline

Loc: Italy
    Casinitaly, may you put me on the excused list (2 - 10 February)?
    I'm going skiing with husband and children, no piano and no internet.
    Now I have to practice, I'll come back in 9 days!

#2025417 - 02/01/13 04:10 PM Re: MOYD 2013 [Re: torquenale]
    casinitaly Online   content

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Originally Posted By: torquenale
    Casinitaly, may you put me on the excused list (2 - 10 February)?
    I'm going skiing with husband and children, no piano and no internet.
    Now I have to practice, I'll come back in 9 days!

Have fun!

#2025633 - 02/01/13 10:34 PM Re: MOYD 2013 [Re: casinitaly]
    Cyborg Offline

Loc: Charleston, SC
    After one month, I'm hanging in there. Only 11 more months to go. laugh

#2025860 - 02/02/13 11:55 AM Re: MOYD 2013 [Re: casinitaly]

Great to see how well everyone is doing!

#2025999 - 02/02/13 06:17 PM Re: MOYD 2013 [Re: casinitaly]
    Cher Z. Offline

Loc: New England, USA
    I'd like to join in. I took lessons for about 6 months before complications from eye surgery sidelined me for four months. Just when I got passable vision back, my Father-in-law went into the hospital .. where he's been for the last 3 months. *Sigh* I need to get myself back up to speed so I can start lessons again!!!

#2026039 - 02/02/13 08:53 PM Re: MOYD 2013 [Re: casinitaly]
    tinman1943 Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: NC
    How much is enough?
    If anyone is wondering how much practice is enough,
    I'd like to pass on the advice a teacher once gave me:

It's better to play 5 min EVERY day than an hour or two once a week!

Those 5 min will often turn into an hour;
    but the day will come when you don't have an hour,
    so you skip it. And another time; then two days in a row.
    Before you know it, you will have missed a week, a month, a year.

So if there's a piano anywhere around, I at least touch it.
    How long does it take to play once thru that piece you're working on?
    Or review one you've already learned?
    Or if you don't have music, a scale or chord progression your'e practicing?

Now I don't know how the "rule makers" would feel about this, but I've got another idea.
    I'm coming to believe in the value of listening.
    Have your teacher make you a recording of that piece you're working on,
    or try to find a recording on iTunes, YouTube, etc.
    And listen to it every day.
    (This technique is integral to the famous Suzuki method.)

So I would say, even if you won't be near a piano, put the piece on your phone or music player,
    or find it on YouTube, and at least listen to it. That will help you learn to play it.

#2026161 - 02/03/13 03:04 AM Re: MOYD 2013 [Re: tinman1943]

TinMan,I fully agree with the idea that 5 minutes a day, every day is better than days with gaps! Plus the truth is that even if you say "well, I will get in at least 5 minutes" that REALLY does lead to more playing. I think that in 3 years,there have only been a handful of days where I really only did play for about 5 minutes - and they were generally days where I was either departing for a trip or I had returned home late and just wanted to get my MOYD achievement in!

I also agree with you that listening is important and useful. I have started recording myself more -at 2 weeks into learning a piece, at 4 and when I think it is ready. By listening to myself when I'm not playing, I can really hear where I need to work. The resources available with youtube recordings are also fantastic. I like to find a good recording and play tricky parts over and over til I really have them fixed in my mind. Sometimes you can see exactly what the fingerings are too, and that helps.

Listening, however, no matter how wonderful it is, doesn't count as a MOYD activity smile

#2026579 - 02/03/13 11:10 PM Re: MOYD 2013 [Re: casinitaly]
    zillybug Offline

Loc: USA
    Please sign me up for 2013. I have not missed a day so far this year. I was actually doing very well last year until I ended up in the hospital in December. I know I will miss a couple of weeks in the fall because we are going on a long vacation.
    Thanks, Judy

#2027760 - 02/05/13 11:06 PM Re: MOYD 2013 [Re: casinitaly]
    piano_deb Offline
    500 Post Club Member

Loc: Memphis, TN
    I thought I was doing pretty well until this last weekend when I missed practicing both Saturday and Sunday. Ding-double-ding, darn it!

Back on track now as of yesterday 2/4.

Thought/query for the day: My teacher knows I've been struggling to work regular practice into my schedule, so we've talked about all sorts of things ... Just as I was leaving my lesson today, she stopped me to encourage me very strongly to practice everything we'd just gone over tonight, not to wait until tomorrow. She considers a lesson day "the most important day" for a student to practice (and to specifically cover the material from the lesson to reinforce it).

I thought of the MOYD rules and how we consider lesson time a fair replacement for practice time. My teacher's been teaching a long time, and she's very, very good at it, so I'm taking her advice to heart ... but I'm curious. What about the rest of you? Does your teacher say to practice at home after a lesson? Anyone particularly in favor of (or opposed to) practicing after a lesson?

#2027769 - 02/05/13 11:21 PM Re: MOYD 2013 [Re: casinitaly]
    MaryBee Offline
    1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
    I always practice after a lesson for that very reason -- it reinforces everything we've just gone over, and prepares me for what I'll be working on the rest of the week. I think I would forget too much if I waited until the next evening to practice.

#2027931 - 02/06/13 07:52 AM Re: MOYD 2013 [Re: casinitaly]
    StaceyB Offline

Please sign me up this is very good motivation to practice everyday:))

Working On:
    Alfred's All In One Course Level 1

#2028365 - 02/06/13 08:51 PM Re: MOYD 2013 [Re: piano_deb]
    zillybug Offline

Loc: USA
    I almost always practice after a lesson. The school where I take agrees with your teacher that it is the most important time to practice. My teacher writes notes in my notebook and I also record my lesson but still feel it's important to practice after a lesson. I am fortunate that I do not work in the afternoon on the day of my lesson so I can often stay right at the school and practice until the kids get out of school as there are pianos available early in the afternoon.
    Judy

#2028505 - 02/07/13 02:34 AM Re: MOYD 2013 [Re: casinitaly]

I generally don't have time to practice after my lesson now.
    I finish and then have to scoot home, have a bite to eat and get out to (teach) my evening class. By the time I get home I'm usually pooped and don't usually play.

When I had my lesson earlier in the day, I would go over what we'd talked about in class. It did help, and it is too bad I can't always do it now.

#2028783 - 02/07/13 01:56 PM Re: MOYD 2013 [Re: casinitaly]
    Palmpirate Offline

Loc: B.C.Canada
    I've just discovered this web site. what a great idea.
    Please add me.

#2029081 - 02/08/13 12:21 AM Re: MOYD 2013 [Re: casinitaly]
    piano_deb Offline
    500 Post Club Member

Loc: Memphis, TN
    I did practice material from my lesson that same day and think it was helpful to solidify what we had discussed, so I will be making a point of continuing to do that.

My biggest problem, though, is simply getting in sufficient daily practice. It's so easy to push it aside throughout the afternoon/evening, while telling myself that I'll get to it after whatever else is demanding my attention. Next thing I know, it's late, I'm tired and I'm just sort of fiddling at the piano for 10-20 minutes. That's just not enough time (and energy/concentration) to make any real headway. *sigh*

Priorities!

#2029143 - 02/08/13 04:01 AM Re: MOYD 2013 [Re: casinitaly]
    Saranoya Offline
    500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brussels, Belgium
    Please put me on the naughty list for yesterday. It was snowing outside, and I had muscle fatigue all over my body from a seizure earlier in the day. I just didn't feel like wheeling 3 kilometers in that weather to go play at the pub.

But I did take it upon myself later in the evening to go out for pizza with a friend, so I probably could have gone out to play, too. I was just lazy. No excuse.

Currently Playable
    Bach 846, 926, 930
    Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
    Burgmüller 100/3, 4, 7, 12, 15, 19, 25
    Chopin 72/1
    Clementi 36/1
    Grieg 12/1, 7
    Tchaikovsky 39/9

Future
    Burgmüller 109
    Bartok Sz 56
    Mozart K331

#2030561 - 02/10/13 02:41 PM Re: MOYD 2013 [Re: casinitaly]
    torquenale Offline

Hello everybody! I'm back from my ski vacation. A very nice week, except for the polar cold on the slopes, especially from Friday.
    We arrived at home earlier than expected, so today I could practice for a solid hour - Casinitaly, could you please modify the days in the excused list?

#2032227 - 02/13/13 01:24 AM Re: MOYD 2013 [Re: casinitaly]
    AimeeO Offline

Loc: New Orleans
    I had two days where I was really short of time but forced myself to play. One day I ran through a Hanon exercise a few times(hopefully that counts!), and the other I just ran through a piece I'm working on. I was just gonna skip it, but MOYD is making me feel guilty if I do nothing, so I guess it's working!

#2032239 - 02/13/13 02:10 AM Re: MOYD 2013 [Re: AimeeO]

Originally Posted By: AimeeO
    I had two days where I was really short of time but forced myself to play. One day I ran through a Hanon exercise a few times(hopefully that counts!), and the other I just ran through a piece I'm working on. I was just gonna skip it, but MOYD is making me feel guilty if I do nothing, so I guess it's working!

Of course your Hanon exercise counts !

Next time you think you're feeling guilty about not playing....try saying "I feel INSPIRED to play!" smile That's much more fun than guilt !

#2032849 - 02/14/13 03:55 AM Re: MOYD 2013 [Re: Saranoya]
    Saranoya Offline
    500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Saranoya
    Please put me on the naughty list for yesterday. It was snowing outside, and I had muscle fatigue all over my body from a seizure earlier in the day. I just didn't feel like wheeling 3 kilometers in that weather to go play at the pub.

Had another seizure at work yesterday (yeah, it's been one of those weeks ...). Broke the backrest on my wheelchair in the fall, and was predictably tired and sore. But went out and found a cab driver who dropped me off, on crutches, at my regular practice spot.

Will never use being tired and sore as an excuse not to play the piano again.

Thanks, MOYD! It's working.

Currently Playable
    Bach 846, 926, 930
    Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
    Chopin 72/1
    Clementi 36/1
    Grieg 12/1, 7
    Tchaikovsky 39/9

Future
    Burgmüller 109
    Bartok Sz 56
    Mozart K331

#2032864 - 02/14/13 04:52 AM Re: MOYD 2013 [Re: Saranoya]
    SwissMS Offline
    500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
    Oh my goodness Saranoya, that is terrible! I admire your resolve to still go out and play. That is really determination. I hope you are feeling better soon!

#2033146 - 02/14/13 04:43 PM Re: MOYD 2013 [Re: SwissMS]
    Saranoya Offline
    500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: SwissMS
    Oh my goodness Saranoya, that is terrible! I admire your resolve to still go out and play. That is really determination. I hope you are feeling better soon!

This is the third time in my life that I am undertaking a serious attempt at becoming a halfway decent (albeit decidedly amateur) pianist, SwissMS. The previous two attempts both ended very prematurely, and both times, I told myself that the reasons for it were out of my control.

But that's not entirely true. Life threw some speed bumps onto my path (as life is wont to do for everyone), and I chose to let them stop me.

This time, I will not let that happen. Because if I do, I will regret it, and I want no regrets. Regrets make people bitter.

So yes, I am determined, and I believe that if I commit to sitting on the piano bench for at least an hour a day for the next ten or more years, I *will* achieve something I can be proud of.

MOYD seems like it can potentially be a great tool to help me get there. But despite having kept my commitment to it today, I noticed it could also easily become a hindering factor if I let it. I was feeling really tired, even while playing (which isn't how it usually goes), and some part of me thought 'well, I've played for five minutes, which is all I promised I'd do. I could go home now.'

In the end, I still played for an hour, but mostly things I already know well. Didn't make much headway on the Moonlight part two. Pity.

Will do better tomorrow.

Currently Playable
    Bach 846, 926, 930
    Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
    Chopin 72/1
    Clementi 36/1
    Grieg 12/1, 7
    Tchaikovsky 39/9

Future
    Burgmüller 109
    Bartok Sz 56
    Mozart K331

#2041861 - 03/02/13 01:33 PM Re: MOYD 2013 [Re: casinitaly]
    Eglantine Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013

Loc: Another Country
    Please sign me up for 2013, under late starters.

#2041862 - 03/02/13 01:38 PM Re: MOYD 2013 [Re: Eglantine]

Originally Posted By: Eglantine
    Please sign me up for 2013, under late starters.

With pleasure!

#2042863 - 03/04/13 01:41 PM Re: MOYD 2013 [Re: casinitaly]
    AimeeO Offline

Loc: New Orleans
    Two months down, 10 more to go!

#2042871 - 03/04/13 01:56 PM Re: MOYD 2013 [Re: AimeeO]
    scorpio Online   content

Loc: Connecticut, USA
    Yes! Ten months to go.

During February, we lost power for a couple of days. But I still practiced scales and fingering without sound on my digital piano. Those practice sessions were quite interesting, as I imagined the sounds as I pressed the keys.

Yamaha P-155

#2042899 - 03/04/13 02:51 PM Re: MOYD 2013 [Re: casinitaly]
      Allard Offline

Loc: Netherlands
      Did you imagine they sounded perfectly like you were playing a concert grand? laugh

Page 5 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 15 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
      What's Hot!!
      Our latest Issue is available now...
      Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
      -------------------
      HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
      -------------------
      Sharing is Caring!
      About the Buttons
      -------------------
      Forums Rules & Help
      -------------------
      ADVERTISE
      on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
      (ad) HAILUN Pianos
      Hailun Pianos - Click for More
      Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
      Seiler Pianos
      Sheet Music
      (PW is an affiliate)
      Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
      (125ad) Dampp Chaser
      Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
      (ad) Lindeblad Piano
      Lindeblad Piano Restoration
      Who's Online
      155 registered (accordeur, 36251, Alkanaut, A Guy, 46 invisible), 1802 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
      Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
      Forum Stats
      75566 Members
      42 Forums
      156229 Topics
      2294500 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
      New Topics - Multiple Forums
      Is a Yamaha P35 appropriate for church services?
      by Giancarlo Robles
      Today at 03:59 PM
      Need suggestions for Music Room
      by Gatsbee13
      Today at 03:39 PM
      Questioning the Wisdom of Heavy Actions
      by Dwscamel
      Today at 12:52 PM
      What do you think made you passionate about music/piano?
      by Spuds
      Today at 11:45 AM
      Tune lab question
      by RonTuner
      Today at 11:32 AM
      (ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
      | Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
      | Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
      | |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
      No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission