Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2032929 - 02/14/13 10:07 AM Where to Go From Here?
PattyP Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
To the teachers with adult students, what would you recommend now?

I finished Alfred’s Basic Adult All-in-One Course, Book 3 some time ago, 2 years maybe if memory serves. I haven’t taken lessons since and have moved from the area so I do not have a teacher in my new location.

I feel like I’ve become stagnant and would like to progress, getting back into a more formal program to move forward. I’d like something I can work on/through without the aid of a teacher due to some personal reasons.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

A tired dog is a good dog.

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#2033069 - 02/14/13 02:15 PM Re: Where to Go From Here? [Re: PattyP]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Patty, what sort of music would you most like to play? Pop songs, cocktail jazz of the past, simplified classical arrangements, real classical repertoire? Or perhaps a mixture?
Is notated music your interest, or improv?

I'd be curious to know the "personal reasons" why you wish to avoid a teacher, unless you just can't afford private weekly lessons. I can't imagine another valid reason, when you say you are looking for a formal program.

But we can certainly help you out with some repertoire suggestions, once we know what area of piano music grabs you.

#2033087 - 02/14/13 02:58 PM Re: Where to Go From Here? [Re: PattyP]
PattyP Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi Peter, thanks for responding. Let me first tell you what don't like: jazz and pop. Generally, I'm more of a sacred/traditional girl but have recently discovered the compositions of Catherine Rollins and Martha Mier, both of which I'm enjoying. I don't have a lot of experience with the classics, although I am fond of (simplified)Tchaikovsky.

My reason for not wanting to commit to lessons right now is because I'm working on my B.S. I know my limits and I don't want to spread myself too thin. Some weeks there may be several days that the piano sits idle while I'm cracking the books.

#2033115 - 02/14/13 04:00 PM Re: Where to Go From Here? [Re: PattyP]
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: PattyP

My reason for not wanting to commit to lessons right now is because I'm working on my B.S. I know my limits and I don't want to spread myself too thin. Some weeks there may be several days that the piano sits idle while I'm cracking the books.

Weekly hour lessons and no teacher at all aren't the only possibilities.

Seeing a good teacher every 1 to 3 months is a viable option. It isn't traditional, and it will take some searching to find the right one. But it would give you some focus, some motivation, avoid or correct some of the worst habits, and prepare you a bit for when you have more time.

#2033147 - 02/14/13 04:45 PM Re: Where to Go From Here? [Re: PattyP]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Patty, if you manage to find a teacher who specializes in - or is at least comfortable with - the adult learner, that person will well understand that there are weeks in which you won't practice at all, and won't judge you for this. But you might still consider the weekly lesson scenario: you'll play the piano more if you do.

But at Tim says, you could also just check in with a teacher now and again, rather than the customary weekly commitment. I would suggest at your level of playing that such lessons should be no less frequent than once a month.

Another idea is simply to take a single lesson with one or more local teachers - not a free audition, but a paid lesson - and use this time for that person to help you find suitable repertoire you can pursue on your own. It's easier to do that in person, at the piano, rather than here on the Internet.

But you're on the right track with any of the well-crafted music of Catherin Rollin and Martha Mier.

P.S. Sent you an email.

Edited by Peter K. Mose (02/14/13 05:00 PM)

#2033240 - 02/14/13 06:56 PM Re: Where to Go From Here? [Re: PattyP]
PattyP Offline
500 Post Club Member

Tim, thanks for the suggestion. That isn't anything I had even considered. I was of the mindset that lessons are every week.

Peter, I received your email and will investigate your recommendations. Thank you.

smile

#2033368 - 02/14/13 09:48 PM Re: Where to Go From Here? [Re: PattyP]
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: PattyP
Tim, thanks for the suggestion. That isn't anything I had even considered. I was of the mindset that lessons are every week.

smile

In the brass playing world, it's not unusual for adults to get a checkup every three months. This is especially true of professional performers but becoming more common for amateurs as well.

#2033577 - 02/15/13 08:09 AM Re: Where to Go From Here? [Re: PattyP]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
PattyP, you may go through a lot of teachers who refuse to teach you once every 3 months, but I'm sure that you will find one that suits your needs (perhaps one whose studio is already full and so taking on a student once in a while like this is fine with them).
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2034297 - 02/16/13 02:51 PM Re: Where to Go From Here? [Re: Morodiene]
Bluoh Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: Morodiene
PattyP, you may go through a lot of teachers who refuse to teach you once every 3 months, but I'm sure that you will find one that suits your needs (perhaps one whose studio is already full and so taking on a student once in a while like this is fine with them).

Yes, very few teachers will let you do that; it doesn't let the teacher get to know your tendencies very well, especially if your lesson is only half an hour.

You can always try online lessons; you won't have to leave your house, but most teachers will still want a commitment. I started teaching online a while ago and it works out quite well.

(Basically, all you need is a webcam/smartphone/iPhone.)

#2034465 - 02/16/13 08:14 PM Re: Where to Go From Here? [Re: Bluoh]
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Bluoh
Originally Posted By: Morodiene

Yes, very few teachers will let you do that; it doesn't let the teacher get to know your tendencies very well, especially if your lesson is only half an hour.

A half hour lesson is fine on a frequent basis, but we're talking deliberately planning infrequent but regular lessons. So it will need to be an hour.

A person with time limitations will not be adequately prepared for the next lesson in just a week. (and older people sometimes learn more slowly anyway) There is a risk of going off in some wrong direction and building a bad habit - but at least in 3 months you'll get directed back on course, and that won't happen at all without a teacher.

My teacher required the initial lesson be two hours, so he could thoroughly evaluate my playing and future needs. After that we've had hour lessons.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
85 registered (36251, Asmodeus, ando, Alux, 23 invisible), 1376 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153621 Topics
2251559 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of -
by cew0
10 minutes 4 seconds ago
Tunelab alternative partial settings?
by Beemer
Today at 04:52 AM
Noodling board
by Maarkr
Yesterday at 10:20 PM
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
Yesterday at 10:17 PM
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
Yesterday at 08:18 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission