2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (accordeur, Carey, AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,897 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 153 of 452 1 2 151 152 153 154 155 451 452
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yes, there are a few songs in the All-in-One that are not in the basic, and a few in the basic that are not in the All-in-One, but most of them are identical. The big difference is that with the basic, there is a separate theory book, and I think something else too - maybe fingering or technique. In the All-in-One, some of the pages from the two extra books are added in. Since most people who buy the basic book do not get the theory book, the All-in-One seems to be the better bet - and besides, the spiral binding makes it so much easier to use. I've heard "Thumbalaika" on PianoNoobAlexMan's youtube, and I liked it. Thanks, for the tip on that, BazC. I would really like to learn that one.

gintarec, Scarborough and Raisins and Almonds do use a very similar technique. I'm still working on these two, trying to get them smooth and up to tempo. I really like them both. I haven't added the pedal yet - but I can pedal "Greensleeves" pretty well now. I learned most of the book without having a pedal, and now that I have, it's taking me quite a while to get used to it. I never could do that "rub your tummy-pat your head" thing. LOL

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mom3gram
Thanks, for the tip on that, BazC. I would really like to learn that one.

No problem! I only got my pedal recently so I've been through most of book 1 without it, consequently my peddling technique is terrible! smile

BTW Hugh Sung posted some vids in his Claire de lune thread which really help with pedalling!

[Linked Image]
Korg SP200, Pianoteq

gintarec, Scarborough and Raisins and Almonds do use a very similar technique. I'm still working on these two, trying to get them smooth and up to tempo. I really like them both. I haven't added the pedal yet - but I can pedal "Greensleeves" pretty well now. I learned most of the book without having a pedal, and now that I have, it's taking me quite a while to get used to it. I never could do that "rub your tummy-pat your head" thing. LOL

I found the pedalling on "Greensleeves" very easy. Actually, I found that song very easy... I played right hand a few times earlier, as I do time from time (go through the book and try later pieces one hand to see what is waiting ahead). When I actually came to it, I did right hand, it was fine. Added left hand, and that was ok too. I thought to myself I just try the pedal slowly, and it was fine straight away!!!! No such luck with "Scarborough Fair"! I keep forgetting to lift off at 'one who lives there', and foot is just stuck to the pedal and places where you need to lift off and press again straight away! But I will get there!!!!

I think I would like to try myself at the piano exams and I am going to talk about it with my teacher today - will see what she thinks...

Alfred's All-in-One: Level 2 - started March 1st!
Still playing 'Overture'
Clavinova CLP-240
[Linked Image]
N
N
Originally Posted by bolt
I was sick and missed two days of practice.

Hope you're feeling better bolt.
I have both. I like the AIO better as mom3gram mentioned, the spiral binding is much better to use. AIO has Hanon practices, theory and more songs. Basic doesn't so when I started, I had to buy the "Fingers Aerobic book 1, Theory Book 1 and Sight Reading Book 1" to go with it. If you work with a teacher, your teacher can probably provide you those practices. If you plan to buy them, I would rather buy the AIO book instead of the supplemental books since they cost about the same.

Nguyen - Student Pianist
N
N
Originally Posted by gintarec

I found the pedalling on "Greensleeves" very easy. Actually, I found that song very easy... I played right hand a few times earlier, as I do time from time (go through the book and try later pieces one hand to see what is waiting ahead). When I actually came to it, I did right hand, it was fine. Added left hand, and that was ok too. I thought to myself I just try the pedal slowly, and it was fine straight away!!!! No such luck with "Scarborough Fair"! I keep forgetting to lift off at 'one who lives there', and foot is just stuck to the pedal and places where you need to lift off and press again straight away! But I will get there!!!!

"Greensleeves, Scarborough Fair and Raisins and Almonds" do sound very nice when smooth with pedaling. I improvised Greensleeves into broken chords and played all 3 at my Brother’s Thanksgiving dinner. My oldest 15 yrs old Niece, a Later Intermediate level on her 9th year of Piano lessons, told me I do pretty good; or maybe she was kind to her uncle, I don’t know but it was the best compliment. Now I have them memorized and play almost every night as warm ups or ego boosts. LOL... I really like these 3 songs but I think I’m falling in love with “The Entertainer” now. I can spend hours practice this song and go no where yet having so much fun.

Nguyen - Student Pianist
Hi All,

I've been lurking here awhile and thought I would jump in, given the number of people graduating smile After seeing this forum, I bought the All-in-One Level 1 and the Greatest Hits Level 1. I've been learning piano/keyboard over the last year and a half. I had several months of lessons to start, but then shifted to self-study. The AIO book is a really nice basis for learning. I've been through most of Alfred's X-max Learn to Play Keyboard so I have more background than a true beginner, but there are a lot of things I never took the time to get right (e.g., timing, volume, phrasing, tempo, speed, have I forgotten anything?) that I am really focusing on this time around. Anyway, just wanted to say hello, and I'm on Page 55 now. There aren't many recognizable songs yet in this book, but I have worked on My Heart Will Go On and What a Wonderful World in the Greatest Hits.

Yamaha Motif XS8; Alfred's All-in-One Level 1
N
N
Originally Posted by ZBear
Hi All,
I've been lurking here awhile and thought I would jump in, given the number of people graduating smile

Welcome ZBear. Glad you decided to join. Hope you'll find exchanging ideas and progresses motivational.
Best!

Nguyen - Student Pianist
N
N
Originally Posted by BazC
I've finally finished! Amazing Grace took ages to get smooth, it's still far from perfect but I'm sick of playing it and I'm moving on to book 2 smile
Scarborough Fair
Raisins and Almonds
The Entertainer
Amazing Grace

I bought a pair a speakers today and got them hooked up. I can listen to Youtube now but not these songs? Why? Additional software I have to install to get these to sound?

Nguyen - Student Pianist
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
They're mpeg4 audio files which should play in most audio players. You could try changing the file extension from m4a to mp4, your player might prefer that extension - m4a is a type of mp4 file.

If you can't get them to play I could probably convert them to another format for you.

Welcome aboard ZBear!

[Linked Image]
Korg SP200, Pianoteq
N
N
BazC, that'd be nice cuz I can't get it to work even when changing the extension. If you or anyone know of free software/media player that I can install that'd be great. I'd like to be able to listen to all these songs. But if there's no such a thing, then I'd love to hear your songs.
Thanks.

Nguyen - Student Pianist
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
OK I'll see what I can do!

Try these, I've converted them to mp3

The Entertainer

Scarborough Fair

Amazing Grace

Raisins and Almonds

They should play straight off the webpage.

Last edited by BazC; 12/07/09 08:39 PM.

[Linked Image]
Korg SP200, Pianoteq
N
N
Amazing Grace
They should play straight off the webpage.

Awesome. they play now. I especially like your Amazing Grace. Well Done. Congrats!

Nguyen - Student Pianist
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Excellent, BasC!

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
B
B
BazC, I just listed to all your pieces and they sound really good. I notice on Scarborough Fair you sometimes do this thing where you strike notes of the left and right hand at a slightly different time and that sounds like something a more experienced player would do. So I am curious - did your teacher teach you that or did you figure it out yourself (or maybe it's an accident LOL).

I like Amazing Grace a lot. Think I'm drawn to that gospelly/jazzy style.

As far as the basic versus all-in-one thing, I've bought all three books ahead already. If I have to buy the theory books separately that's ok I suppose and I've already bought a Hanon book. Next time I'm at the sheet music store I'm going to see if they have the all-in-one and have a look at it.

I'm finding Got Those Blues to be not very enjoyable and difficult to master. Anyone else remember having that experience? That's the 12-bar blues.

And Nguyen, thanks!

"There is more to this piano playing malarkey than meets the eye" - adultpianist
I am going to do piano exams!!!! Talked with my teacher last night, and she thinks I should take 'Step 2' in spring to find out how exam goes and get used to the idea and then in summer do Grade 1. I have ordered books fro Step 2, Grade 1 and Grade 2 this morning. It is London College of music examinations exams. I will try out Step 2 and Grade 1 pieces over Christmas and see what I feel like. If I think I can do Grade 1 reasonable well, I will enter for that, the deadline is end of January for entering the exam, and the exam will be sometime between mid march - mi April, so I would have plenty of time to polish the pieces and work on scales, broken chords and arpeggios. I just want to test myself! Very excited, can't wait for the books to arrive!!!!

Still playing 'Overture'
Clavinova CLP-240
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks for the kind comments folks!

Originally Posted by bolt
BazC I notice on Scarborough Fair you sometimes do this thing where you strike notes of the left and right hand at a slightly different time and that sounds like something a more experienced player would do. So I am curious - did your teacher teach you that or did you figure it out yourself (or maybe it's an accident LOL).

LOL! No I'm afraid that's just my clumsiness! smile

BTW I think quite a few people have struggled a bit with blues pieces, stick with it, I'm sure it will suddenly "click"

Gintarec - Congrats on the exams, I'm sure you'll do brilliantly!

[Linked Image]
Korg SP200, Pianoteq
Thanks, BazC! I hope I will! Can't wait for the books to arrive, so I can test myself and see what I can actually do.

I am still going to continue playing Alfred's, as I do love these books.

Still playing 'Overture'
Clavinova CLP-240
[Linked Image]
M
M
Thanks, BazC! I hope I will! Can't wait for the books to arrive, so I can test myself and see what I can actually do.

I am still going to continue playing Alfred's, as I do love these books.

Good luck on the exams!!

Does anyone have any idea (approximately) how the Alfred's books correspond to grades? I read all over these forums about people playing at certain grade levels and I never have any clue what that means since all I know is the Alfred method.

Also just as an update on where I am, I am having an exciting week because I am finally letting myself move on in the book! I held myself back at several songs for a while to really get the rhythm of eighth notes down but finally I decided that my Standing in the Need of Prayer (and Puff the Magic Dragon from the Greatest Hits) are in good shape. Since I struggled at first with eighth notes I was worried about moving on, but to my surprise when I tried out Alouette I had no problem with it at all! So I guess all of that time I spent holding myself back paid off. smile

I also played around with Lavender's Blue and Kum-Ba-Ya a bit and although I didn't spend much time on them they didn't appear to be that bad. So hopefully I will get these three songs down quickly and then this weekend...

...maybe I will try Blow the Man Down! smile

M
M

The Entertainer

Scarborough Fair

Amazing Grace

Raisins and Almonds

Nice job, Bazc! Thank you for sharing those; hearing those gave me some motivation to push harder through the book. It's not that my motivation to play piano is down, it's just that I don't care for some of the songs that I've been stuck at and was getting a bit bummed about the song selections in the book. But those sound great and I can't wait to play them!

Last edited by mooshinator; 12/08/09 10:10 AM.
N
N
I am going to do piano exams!!!!

gintarec, Congratulations. You must be doing really well for your teacher to agree/suggest about taking exams. With all the progress you've made, I'm positive it'll be a success. Keep us posted.

Bolt, Blues have weird rhythms, beats and chords etc... I struggled with all of them. Eventually they'll click. Stick with them. Toward the end you'll be glad cuz LH & RH are all over the place.

mooshinator, glad you've enjoyed, made progress and moved on. Don't rush. They all have benefits in their own ways. You're still ahead of me. I’m on my 10th month now and figure another 2-3 months before I’ll be able to finish this book, maybe longer, who knows... You’ve done great. Try BtMD and let us know how it goes. That's my favorite to see people struggle like I used to. LOL... Just Kidding.

Nguyen - Student Pianist
Page 153 of 452 1 2 151 152 153 154 155 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission