2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (bcalvanese, 20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 10 invisible), 1,930 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 99 of 452 1 2 97 98 99 100 101 451 452
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mtraininjax
Does anyone else see that reading the music is easier than trying to remember it?

Nope, I play most things by memory. On the other hand my sight reading is dreadful!

[Linked Image]
Korg SP200, Pianoteq
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mtraininjax
Does anyone else see that reading the music is easier than trying to remember it? When I was in grade school, I could remember the piece, now I need the music, but can play off of the notes. I remember my teachers could always read music easily, does this mean that a 40 year old is over the hill?

Does anyone else have problems remebering the music they just played off the sheet for the last hour?

I'm terrible at memorizing music. I learned to play clarinet from sheet music (even in marching band) and have never been any good at memorizing or remembering it. I hope to get better, but it's going to take a lot of training and effort.

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Print Gallery - Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Just got my All-in-One...looks like many of the songs are the same but the content around it is a bit different -- that's a good thing -- and it's the "comb" binding version. Yea!

Kenny A. Chaffin
I finally worked out Little Brown Jug a couple days ago and I play it pretty well now up to speed.

Now I'm on Rock Around the Clock from the Greatest Hits book. I was so happy when I learned and memorized the intro in about 10 minutes. Then the verse took about an hour. I'm going to try to bang out the chorus now and luckily the song is very repetitive. Maybe I'll play this one at family gatherings since Bill Haley's (grown) kids are in my extended family.

Now we dolly back
Now we fade to black
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Good for you Leon!

Kenny A. Chaffin
Turns out the chorus is the toughest part frown

Now we dolly back
Now we fade to black
Can I join in ?
Adult beginner been playing for 8 weeks, learning major scales, chords and arpeggios.
I have Alfred's Teach Yourself To play Piano and is on a par with book one.
I have just managed to sight read/play up to Lavender's Blue and will be starting form there pg48 in my book.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ejay
Can I join in ?
Adult beginner been playing for 8 weeks, learning major scales, chords and arpeggios.
I have Alfred's Teach Yourself To play Piano and is on a par with book one.
I have just managed to sight read/play up to Lavender's Blue and will be starting form there pg48 in my book.

Nope. Get outta here! smile smile smile

Seriously though. This is the best and most supportive piano forum I've found. Sounds like you are probably already ahead of me.

I'm trying to get Jingle Bells down without making errors. I'm having a bit of a time getting the hands to do the right thing. Guess that's the breaks when you've played a melody instrument (clarinet) most of your life.

Enjoy!

Last edited by kennychaffin; 03/28/09 03:29 PM.

Kenny A. Chaffin

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member
Welcome aboard Ejay...it's a good ride. I believe there are several here that are about where you are.

R
R
Just started learning in mid January. This book is awesome. I'm stuck on "Blow the man down" frown...."Lavender's Blue" took me a while too but I finally got it. Anyone else really like playing "Alouette" as much as I do? Seriously, I still go back to that from time to time just to build up my confidence again ha ha. What really threw me off was when the book told me to start playing "C" and "D" with my thumb and shift my other fingers over a note. It was confusing at first.

Practice makes perfect...blah blah blah - Romolo
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Welcome, Romolo. We ALL got stuck on "Blow the Man Down". :-) Then, one day it just clicks and you have it. It sounds like you are moving through the book pretty quickly.

I liked "Alouette" too. And I still sometimes get confused when I shift my hand (See my post on forgetting where my hand is).

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
R
R
What really threw me off was the fact that for weeks I've been playing C with 1, D with 2, E with 3, and so on, but then the book just changed it, just like that. So every time I saw a "D" note on the staff my index finger would move on it's own when the new rule was that the thumb should be playing that. Same thing with notes E,F, and G. Confusing!

R
R
"Blow the man down" is hard frown That's it for today. I'll try again tomorrow.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Just finished with "Greensleeves." We're getting there!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mom3gram
Welcome, Romolo. We ALL got stuck on "Blow the Man Down". :-) Then, one day it just clicks and you have it. It sounds like you are moving through the book pretty quickly.

I liked "Alouette" too. And I still sometimes get confused when I shift my hand (See my post on forgetting where my hand is).

Romolo, Mom3gram, just wanted to say I'm lovin' Alouette! I'm kind of skipping around and pushing forward a bit (even though I know I need to work on various exercises) and jumped to this one just to try it out and WOW! It was really the first time, playing with both hands felt natural. I've been struggling even with Jingle Bells but Alouette just seems to flow, my fingers go where they are supposed to go. Will keep working on it a bit and then maybe post a recording.

Last edited by kennychaffin; 03/29/09 10:53 AM.

Kenny A. Chaffin
R
R
Hey everybody...I'm finally getting the hang of "Blow the Man Down"...FINALLY! I'm going slow but that's the only way to learn. So yay!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Good for you!

Kenny A. Chaffin
R
R
Thanks! lol

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
That was actually pretty fast, Romolo. I think it took me weeks.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
B
B
I'm still here and reading but not progressing. I haven't spent more than 15 minutes at the piano total in the last 2 weeks and I'm still in significant pain. I had to skip my last lesson. My teacher is looking into some method to reduce injury, but I think I'm a step ahead of her.

I just learned on Friday (from a different doctor) that my doctor shouldn't have given me Zithromax with Lipitor because it causes muscle damage (which I was working very hard in excess of 2 hours per day on the piano during that time). I then did more research and learned that all the pain, numbness and tingling I'm having could be directly related to my Lipitor. So I quit taking it today, going to start some natural approaches to cholesterol and healing the damage caused by this drug.

Please wish me luck and healing, I really want to get back to this, and I'm praying it won't affect my kayaking this year.

Page 99 of 452 1 2 97 98 99 100 101 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission