2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
28 members (clothearednincompo, crab89, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, 8 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by peterws
"I've even caught myself and the wife with tears pouring down our faces whilst I've played stuff lately)."

You two need to talk. The pair of you do not want this. Do it.

DadAgain -- I'm reticent to think that a bunch of people on the internet who don't really know your situation can provide sound marital advice, but goodness gracious, it's hard not to reach Peter's conclusion just based on that one sentence. It's heartbreaking, truly.

That said... and agreeing with the sentiment that the recital can't possibly be all that important in the grand scheme of things right now... It may be cathartic, it may be a welcome distraction from the situation, and you just might capture something raw and real that is worth capturing.

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by DadAgain
...I've even caught myself and the wife with tears pouring down our faces whilst I've played stuff lately).

Well, this could mean that it was either that good...or that bad... wink

Sorry about your situation DadAgain - also, sorry everyone else seems to be sorry...

Originally Posted by aTallGuyNH

DadAgain -- I'm reticent to think that a bunch of people on the internet who don't really know your situation can provide sound marital advice...

I was thinking the same thing...but that never stopped us before... smile

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BenPiano
Originally Posted by DadAgain
There's an outside chance I can put together a rough recording of something just in time for 14th - but it'll be tough, last minute, out of tune and under-prepared.

While your attitude and hopefulness is commendable, you really have more important stuff to attend to than this silly recital.

Why add more stress to an already stressed situation?

Play when you can, for fun and stress relief. But get done what you need to get done while you have the time. smokin

Amen to that, bruthuh! lol

I'd rather wait or play only once a year recital (like I did in 2012) than put up a regrettable performance.

"Play when you can" is my mantra these days...particularly, play when the mood strikes.

I'm happy to report that I'm playing again after a 2013 hiatus...I'm now deep in the throws of my 6th Joplin piece.
I'll chalk it up to this - I'm an occasional player these days. Anyway have a great recital everyone! I can't wait to listen. smile

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
*bumpety-bump*

Howd`ya find out what number you`re at?

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
B
B
Go to https://recitals.pianoworld.com/ and click the Show Me link.

Nick

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
We've been holding at 38 for a few days now....I bet there will be more submissions flowing in over the weekend!

There are a great many really wonderful pieces in the program so far, I can't wait to get started with the listening!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Peyton - I see you're in with a piece called "After All", which you composed (described as "original") - can I safely assume that this is not the wonderful song that was a monster hit for the fine singer Al Jarreau some years back - or are you still collecting the royalties? laugh

This is the song I mean:

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

A

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member
A
I still plan on getting in.. it will be last minute though, as I won't have a good chunk of time to record until Wednesday and Thursday.

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Maybe maybe it'll come together for a recording. I've missed the last two ecitals so I really wanted to do this one but sometimes I'm not plateauing I'm falling into the crevasse. Really enjoyed the master class at my university yesterday...maybe it will add that boost to my piano performance.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AimeeO
I still plan on getting in.. it will be last minute though, as I won't have a good chunk of time to record until Wednesday and Thursday.

Aimee - Thursday is your last chance...good luck!

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Well I'm very sick with cold this week. Currently fever has gone down but do not have any voice. I cancelled choir, performance class and piano lesson this week. But I got board so I decided to record today. I took a shot of whiskey, a couple of glasses of wine to make me feel better first. It's a sort of home remedy in my area I grew up. It's Japan but its a country side where a bunch of country bumpkins live. Anyway I recorded it but it sounds horrible. If you ever look at my YouTube video, it is horrifying as well. I will submit it any way. Being drunk has its benefit as well. I don't care small things like finess! I feel kind of bad for Brahms. Good thing he is not alive to hear mine. RIP Brahms.

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
I must be doing something wrong. Its taking 1 hour to upload my video to YouTube. I do this so that I can change the format to mp3 on YouTube site. Am I doing it incorrectly? The video is taken using q3hd.

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
I must be doing something wrong. Its taking 1 hour to upload my video to YouTube. I do this so that I can change the format to mp3 on YouTube site. Am I doing it incorrectly? The video is taken using q3hd.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
I don't know what is going on FarmGirl, but an hour to upload to Youtube sounds very wrong.

I am new to youtube, and didn't realize you could convert audio to mp3 on the site. I use AoA Audio Extractor. The basic-bare-bones program is downloadable for free, if you want bells and whistles you can pay for a premium version.

I hope you feel better soon - that sounds like a monster cold!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FarmGirl

It was the shot of whiskey.You should have done rum instead! smile

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Cheryl and Peyton
I somehow managed to upload it:). I got a couple more shots of whisky in frustration. I think it was a darn nice thing. We don't have rum. I noticed a couple of hours later that I do have software called handy share provided by Zoom. Had I used it, it would not have taken as long as I did. I was upset noticing that YouTube does not provide "format" change service any more at first. But looking into my computer, I noticed that I had downloaded software for that long time ago. Anyway I recorded and it's there. I am not happy with it but it's done and over now. It would take me at least a couple of weeks to fix dynamics and sloppy execution.

V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
I think I might submit my low quality recording of a rachmaninoff prelude (again...a work in progress). I'm inspired by all the submissions and hopefully people will forgive me if my recording is poor sound-wise. I've had a flare of wrist pain the last couple of weeks and just haven't been able to redo it to get a better take (well I tried, but it wasn't any better so gave up).

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Cheryl and Peyton
I somehow managed to upload it:). I got a couple more shots of whisky in frustration. I think it was a darn nice thing. We don't have rum. I noticed a couple of hours later that I do have software called handy share provided by Zoom. Had I used it, it would not have taken as long as I did. I was upset noticing that YouTube does not provide "format" change service any more at first. But looking into my computer, I noticed that I had downloaded software for that long time ago. Anyway I recorded and it's there. I am not happy with it but it's done and over now. It would take me at least a couple of weeks to fix dynamics and sloppy execution.

I suspect this is better than you think! Why not try again stone cold sober though? You can then pick which you like best, even if you don't have that couple weeks you wish you had.

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Well I'm very sick with cold this week.

FarmGirl, be carefull with this cold... I've also been sick and I'm still not completely healed ... Has already lasted for about 3 weeks ...

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission