Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
127 registered (Almaviva, Andre Lev, ando, Anita Potter, anamnesis, 28 invisible), 1493 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2033138 - 02/14/13 04:30 PM damper vs string resonance
xorbe Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Mt View, CA
As I understand this,

Damper resonance: Holding down the damper pedal, playing a note causes additional resonance effects.

String resonance: While silently holding a chord, playing a note may cause additional resonance effects.

Correct? Then what is "acoustic resonance" as listed in some specs?

Edited by xorbe (02/14/13 04:33 PM)

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2033151 - 02/14/13 04:46 PM Re: damper vs string resonance [Re: xorbe]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
You're right on the first two definitions as they're normally given by DP sellers. 'String resonance' comes from specific harmonics in one note causing sympathetic resonance in other notes, within the same harmonic range.

But it is impossible to imagine what kind of resonance would NOT be, in some form or other, acoustic. Seems like a complete contradiction in terms.

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#2033182 - 02/14/13 05:19 PM Re: damper vs string resonance [Re: xorbe]
Hookxs Offline

Loc: Czech Republic
I don't know about "acoustic resonance" (wahtever that is) but I don't understand the distinction between string and damper resonance. Physically they are the same phenomenon, right? One string is undamped (because of pedal or becaause it is pressed) and another is played. They are perhaps implemented differently and therefore listed as two different "features" although it is actually one.

#2033194 - 02/14/13 05:40 PM Re: damper vs string resonance [Re: Hookxs]
xorbe Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Hookxs
I don't know about "acoustic resonance" (wahtever that is) but I don't understand the distinction between string and damper resonance. Physically they are the same phenomenon, right? One string is undamped (because of pedal or becaause it is pressed) and another is played. They are perhaps implemented differently and therefore listed as two different "features" although it is actually one.

Right, it's just a programming distinction. There's a generic algorithm for damper down, and another for individual keys down.

Casio lists my PX-330 as "acoustic resonance", but I've never noticed anything. I noticed the PX-150/PX-350 list damper resonance (fixed setting for piano sounds) -- now I have to go back to GC and check.

Edited by xorbe (02/14/13 05:42 PM)

#2033197 - 02/14/13 05:44 PM Re: damper vs string resonance [Re: Hookxs]
anotherscott Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Hookxs

I would consider them to be two different features. If you hold a C major chord down with your left hand, and play a C note with your right hand (no pedal involved), that lower C will resonate, and to a lesser extent, the E and G will resonate as well. If instead you hit that low C chord and then depress the pedal and then play that higher C note, many strings will resonate. So the results sound different, the samples employed are different, the programming needed is different. The phenomena are based on the same acoustic principle, but the sound and required implementation are different, which is why a keyboard can have one and not the other.

#2033209 - 02/14/13 06:03 PM Re: damper vs string resonance [Re: xorbe]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Damper resonance can be captured quite realistically with pedal down layers in a sampled piano. I believe string resonance needs a separate DSP algorithm to exist in a purely sampled piano, even pedal events can create very complex resonance situations. Purely modeled pianos can excite the string models for both types of resonance.

#2033454 - 02/14/13 11:43 PM Re: damper vs string resonance [Re: dewster]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
Originally Posted By: dewster
Damper resonance can be captured quite realistically with pedal down layers in a sampled piano. I believe string resonance needs a separate DSP algorithm to exist in a purely sampled piano, even pedal events can create very complex resonance situations. Purely modeled pianos can excite the string models for both types of resonance.

That sounds right. The "damper up" sound is _one sample_. The sound of "key X down, with dampers up" is _one sample_.

To get "string resonance" -- the correct sound for "hold down key X, and strike key Y" -- you must sample _pairwise_ each pair of notes! And then sum them:

. . . A 6-note chord will have (I think) 18 combinations
. . . of keys.

Which, I suppose, is why it's only modeled in high-cost DP's, and in software pianos.

The DPBSD thread has definitions for all these things. But that doesn't necessarily match with the manufacturer's meaning.

. Charles

#2033672 - 02/15/13 11:25 AM Re: damper vs string resonance [Re: Charles Cohen]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Charles Cohen
The DPBSD thread has definitions for all these things. But that doesn't necessarily match with the manufacturer's meaning.

There doesn't seem to be an industry standard for this terminology, and what exists is ambiguously named.

#2033731 - 02/15/13 01:07 PM Re: damper vs string resonance [Re: xorbe]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
You're being quite generous calling it simply "ambiguous".

#2033851 - 02/15/13 05:22 PM Re: damper vs string resonance [Re: xorbe]
emenelton Online   content
500 Post Club Member

On my Kawai ES6, the string resonance seems to be accomplished by triggering softly any of the keys that are held down that fall within the 2nd and 3rd partial of other notes being struck. I imagine this can be termed an algorhythm. Kawai calls it Harmonic Imaging. It is not however a dsp generation of resonance.
A number of the initial high end piano vst's did, with Kontakt, use an actual DSP generation of soundboard and string resonance I'm pretty sure. It was always one of the features that crashed the program:)

#2033956 - 02/15/13 08:59 PM Re: damper vs string resonance [Re: emenelton]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: emenelton
On my Kawai ES6, the string resonance seems to be accomplished by triggering softly any of the keys that are held down that fall within the 2nd and 3rd partial of other notes being struck. I imagine this can be termed an algorhythm. Kawai calls it Harmonic Imaging. It is not however a dsp generation of resonance.

I think "Harmonic Imaging" is what Kawai calls the entire process of sample playback and resonance effects in the ES6. I believe "string resonance" is most likely a DSP effect in there.

#2034005 - 02/15/13 11:08 PM Re: damper vs string resonance [Re: xorbe]
500 Post Club Member

For example, if I hold down the G above middle C and strike middle C, a G an octave above the depressed G sounds. To me, when I subsequently strike that octave G on it's key, I am convinced its the same sample. I been all over the keyboard doing that, it's alot of fun, until family members start telling me to knock it off!
Kawai's Harmonic Imaging, as far as string resonance is concerned, seems to be a sophisticated triggering matrix.
The damper resonance however is far subtler.

#2034007 - 02/15/13 11:10 PM Re: damper vs string resonance [Re: xorbe]
xorbe Offline
500 Post Club Member

Okay so the PX-330's "acoustic" resonance is some form of damper resonance. It's most easily noticed hammering an upper key.

#2034019 - 02/15/13 11:33 PM Re: damper vs string resonance [Re: xorbe]
500 Post Club Member

One of the big features of string resonance on the kawai is the blooming effect of the resonance and the way it makes the sonorities bigger than just the notes being played. The resonance also effectively obscures looping effects and contributes to evolving sonorities that also lay over the notes being played.
-Without damper pedal-

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Coming around the backstretch...
by RonTuner
12/18/14 09:11 AM
A new clip of Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
12/17/14 11:03 PM
Learn a Song in 7 minutes: Carol of the Bells
by Hugh Sung
12/17/14 10:11 PM
December 2014 Holiday Piano Bar
by piano_primo_1
12/17/14 06:14 PM
The Language of Taste - Pianos, Wine ... and Birds
by PNO40
12/17/14 05:16 PM
Forum Stats
77333 Members
42 Forums
159948 Topics
2349014 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission