2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
33 members (Cominut, crab89, Animisha, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 4 invisible), 1,178 guests, and 270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
PLEASE DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD! USE THE DISCUSSION THREAD!

I am delighted to introduce our 29th quarterly Adult Beginners' Forum Recital! smile So, pull up a chair and have a listen.

I would like to take this opportunity to ask the audience to please refrain from commentary in this recital room.

A separate room has been provided for the purposes of intermezzo discussion. Please take any and all comments to the General Discussion Room.

Thank you!

In addition to the zip files linked below, mahlzeit has added a feature to his program that creates an online streaming player. Just click on the link to hear all the recital pieces without having to download the zip files:

Online Streaming Player

A template has been created for those who wish to provide individualized feedback:

Recital #29 Response Template

For the convenience of forum members, mahlzeit's program has normalized the files for consistent volume and standardized the ID3 tags in a collection of zip files. This makes it easier to create personal CDs and playlists.

These zip files have been posted at the following URLs:

Zip 1
Zip 2
Zip 3
Zip 4
Zip 5
Zip 6
Zip 7

And here's the link to Sam S.'s terrific ABF recital index, that allows you to browse through and search for pieces in all of our past recitals:

AB Forum Recital Index

Let me express my greatest thanks to some very special people: mr_super-hunky for coming up with the idea of our online recitals, which have proven to be more successful than any of us ever dreamed; LaValse for hosting the recitals for so long and then devoting hours of programming trouble-shooting making the transition to Frank's servers; Frank for agreeing to host the recital now that it's gotten so big; Copper for trouble-shooting help and the Order of the Red Dot; Sam S. for his terrific AB Forum Recital Index and also devoting hours to programming trouble-shooting; and last but not least, mahlzeit for writing the absolutely fantastic web-based recital program that we are using. THANK YOU MAHLZEIT!!! heart

AGAIN: DO NOT REPLY OR POST ON THIS THREAD!!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Mr Super-Hunky
Experience:Same as Monica
Direct music link:click to download
Title of piece:A Star Named Apple/ New Beginning
Composer:Mr Super-Hunky
Duration:04:20
Source of music:Played by ear
Instrument used:Roland KR-7
Recording method:Zoom H2 using line level input.
Technical feedback wanted:Yes
Additional info:Gazing up at the stars I can see millions upon millions of them sparkling in the night sky. But they are not all the same. Some seem dull and far away while others seem brighter and much closer. Still, there are a few special stars in the night sky that seem to twinkle and are much more vibrant than the rest. These are the newest stars in the night sky with lots of life left in them to cast a beautiful shimmering twilight upon the rest of the world.

Sometimes the twilight created by these stars is bright enough to help guide you and ensure that you are on the right path. At some point, when your journey is over, you too may be able to light up the path for someone else.

This is what happens to good people. This is why I named the most recent shimmering star in the sky Apple.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Inlanding - Glen
Experience:Off and on for years
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67O1qyXNlS4
Title of piece:Elegie
Composer:Jules Massenet
Duration:02:35
Source of music:Sheet Music
Instrument used:1917 O NY Steinway
Additional info:My first exposure to this melody was that as a child, my parents played one of Art Tatum's versions on their record player. My second exposure to this was recently listening to an old recording of Marian Anderson sing it. Her voice is magic.

I never got an error-free take. It's a fun piece to play.

For lunch was some spicy Lentil-Vegetable Soup, then for dinner, then for future leftovers.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:dannylux / Mel
Experience:7 years after returning. Lots as a kid.
Title of piece:Czerny Romance in E Op.755
Composer:Carl Czerny
Duration:02:31
Source of music:Extremely rare sheet music kindly sent to me by a member of pianophilia.
Instrument used:Yamaha P140
Recording method:Piano line-out to computer sound card line-in. Audacity. No edits.
Technical feedback wanted:No
Additional info:Carl Czerny's music tends to range from delightful to exquisite. His Romance in E is both delightful and exquisite, having a gorgeous, nostalgic melody and wonderful harmonies.

He was Beethoven's star pupil, and you can certainly hear Beethoven in this Romance, as well as in Czerny's 11 Piano Sonatas and 6 Symphonies.

This lovely little piece is in simple ABA form; first melody in E major, second melody in B major, and back to the first melody. As is usual with Czerny, there are generous sprinkles of glitter here and there, especially in the coda on the last page.

Hope you like it.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Plowboy
Experience:4.5
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr7BIxPzTmU
Title of piece:Prelude in E Minor Op. 28, No. 4
Composer:Frederic Chopin
Duration:02:48
Source of music:"Chopin Preludes for the Piano" edited by Willard A. Palmer
Instrument used:Kohler and Campbell KIG-52D 5'2" grand
Recording method:Zoom H4, then edited in audacity
Additional info:This sure looks easy on paper, but it took a year to get it to sound marginal. I still don't like the chords and the dynamics are ragged. The only editing was to delete the empty spaces at the beginning and end.

For lunch I had a salami and cheese sandwich, chips and an apple. I wish I could find good Braeburns again. :-(

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:slpianoproject
Experience:Roughly 7 years casually... in and out
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pm5Mzuu8XA
Title of piece:Nocturne in C# minor Op.27 no.1
Composer:Frederic Chopin
Duration:05:31
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:Essex EUP-123s accoustic
Recording method:Matched pair of Studio projects C4, Akai EiE pro usb interface into logic pro 9.
Additional info:This is one of my favorite Chopin nocturne. Its been a while i wanted to learn it but due to some left hand issues (soreness) i couldnt tackle the piu mosso. The performance isnt perfect but its the best i can do given my skill level. I have to admit i'm still pretty proud of the final result.

Feedback is welcome. I'm aware some of the dynamics are in the wrong place and there is a few errors here and there. I didn't want to record 10 times to make it perfect (this is actually my first take, I did 3 more after but the first one was the best! lol).

Follow the link to the YOUTUBE VIDEO right up there if you want to see a close-up of my hands while playing it.

Thanks for listening and ENJOY!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:CarlosCC
Experience:3 years 7 weeks (self-learning since Dec2009)
Title of piece:Julia
Composer:Ludovico Einaudi
Duration:05:25
Source of music:"The Best of Ludovico Einaudi" book. Played by memory.
Instrument used:Yamaha P85 (Grand Piano 1)
Recording method:Captured from Piano to PC with Audicity, then saved to MP3.
Additional info:In 2010, when I was discovering Einaudi, I heard "Julia" in the "La Scala Concert" album and I decided to put it on the bottom of my (long) to-do list, just because I knew that, at the time, I wasn't able to play it, and I understood I needed to progress a bit more to play it properly. Since then I was waiting for "the" moment to give it a try, which happened in the last summer. Then, it was a kind of surprise because I haven't found it a difficult piece to play and learn... I felt I was well aligned with the variations and chords of "Julia" and I learned it in a couple of sessions.

Since then I use to play it regularly and I find out that my wife loves this piece, it's her favorite - she says she "feels at home" when she hears it -, and I think it's one of the few pieces she asks me to play whenever she sees me in front of a piano... Because of that, and although I feel my hands a little "stuck" because I haven't played piano in the last few weeks and having conscience that I'm not with the right mood to do my best interpretation, nevertheless, I decided to play (by memory) and do this record.

So, this is dedicated to her, with love, hoping to help her regain happiness after having lost a loved one recently. I know she will smile, for a moment, when we hear this recital.
I hope you like it too.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Diana (sinophilia)
Experience:11 months
Title of piece:Frankie & Johnnie + Space Shuttle Blues
Duration:01:44
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:Casio Privia PX-135
Recording method:Digital to Mac
Additional info:These are two short pieces from Alfred's Adult AIO Course book 2, which I am finishing in these days. I hadn't recorded myself for a while and it proved really hard. By listening to myself I heard many things that needed correction, but in the end I chose one of the first takes of both songs. I guess that obsessing about what I needed to change made subsequent recordings even worse!

I'd like these songs to flow more, to have a steadier beat and some "swing", but well, that's about the best I can do right now, especially in front of the red dot! Thank you for taking the time to listen.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:wouter79
Experience:3 years at time of recording
Title of piece:Allegro non troppo in c minor, op.38 no.2
Composer:Jakob Ludwig Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy
Duration:02:52
Source of music:sheet music, mostly memorized
Instrument used:Grotrian-Steinweg 189
Recording method:DPA4060, EMU0404, Jecklin Disk
Additional info:This is from Mendelssohn's third book in the series "Lieder ohne worte". It contains 6 pieces and is dedicated to Fraulein Rosa von Woringen, a daughter of Otto von Woringen who was president of the Prussian government and friend of Felix. It appeared in 1837. These pieces were already famous in his life.
I had this piece ready and recorded already for the previous recital. I have another nice piece ready but I can use some feedback on the Mendelssohn.
Again, I'm not using pedal at all. There are rests between the bass notes and if you use pedal you can't play these rests. Therefore it puzzles me that everyone is pedal, including masters like Barenboim and Friedman.
Maybe I'm too picky but I'm not entirely satisfied with this piece. The melody seems to be repeated a bit too often (with small variations) and I have a hard time to keep it interesting. The syncopated stuff in the left hand adds a nervous feel that seems not to fit the melody. I determined the speed from the melody, but I can't keep the feel of the melody when the nervous left hand is added. Maybe the left hand is still too loud? Maybe I'm phrasing something wrong or need a more catchy interpretation of the melody? Or maybe I should drop to a slower speed that does not fit the melody itself but gives a more suited overall feel? For some reason, I did not feel like memorizing this (I'm still looking at the sheets even though in fact I'm playing most of this from memory anyway), this could be related. Suggestions are welcome!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:SwissMS
Experience:About 4 years total as an adult, a couple as a kid. I have been playing consecutively with a teacher since Fall 2011.
Video link:http://youtu.be/GW6BY5dAtaQ
Title of piece:Little Prelude in D Major BWV 936
Composer:J. S. Bach
Duration:03:02
Source of music:Sheet Music
Instrument used:Yamaha Avant Grand N2
Recording method:Zoom H2 line out from N2
Additional info:This prelude is from the collection Six Little Preludes. These were believed to have been written by Bach during lessons to address specific technical problems that a student was having at the time. This piece turned out to be far more challenging that I thought it was when I first looked at the score. My teacher knew, though, and warned me. It makes one wonder which of several technical difficulties it was written to address. I learned a lot from it! It has three voices to balance, intricate fingering, 5/4 crosses, and funky 4/3 trills. I had fun with it.

On a personal note, as some of you know I had a major MS relapse in early October that caused temporary partial paralysis on my right side. I was unable to play again until mid November. This piece was instrumental in restoring my finger dexterity and strength in my right hand. They say Bach is the best teacher. For me, he gave me the piano back! Thank you Herr Bach!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:CASINITALY (Cheryl)
Experience:3 yrs
Video link:http://youtu.be/W6h-Wfq7ub4
Title of piece:Sneakin' Round
Composer:Dennis Alexander
Duration:01:01
Source of music:From the Dennis Alexander "Especially In Jazzy Style, Book 1" Early Intermediate level
Instrument used:Yamaha P112N
Recording method:Digital Camera
Additional info:Another from the Alexander collection that I have greatly enjoyed learning. I know there is always room for improvement, but this has been a great step forward in learning how to manage a long cascade of notes, and some jazzy triplets. Lots of fun, and hope you enjoy it. I believe I had homemade chicken vegetable soup for lunch, with goat cheese on toasted dark brown bread.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Andy Platt
Experience:Years of noodling and now 2.5 years of lessons.
Title of piece:Invention No 4 in D Minor
Composer:Johann Sebastian Bach
Duration:01:01
Source of music:J. S. Bach: Inventions & Sinfonias (Alfred)
Instrument used:Kawai K3
Recording method:Zoom H1
Additional info:My teacher says I've never really got the feel of this piece though she notes my ideas about it are consistent and, arguably correct. We disagree on it. I'll be very interested in opinions.

I did several decent recordings; this is far and away the quickest of them. Again that's something I disagree with my teacher on but I feel this piece works better at pace.

Yes, the trills (particularly the left hand one) are ugly. I had them better and completely let them slip. It's a real problem of mine. Other than that, there's one minor hesitation that I don't like. But all in all I'm happy with how it's turned out.

Lunch yesterday, when I recorded it, was a ham sandwich. Today it will be a ham sandwich.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Amaruk
Experience:Who knows...
Video link:http://youtu.be/xBJFilxh0aE
Title of piece:The Christmas song from 'An Elf's Story: The Elf on the Shelf'
Composer:John Timothy Roberts
Duration:01:37
Source of music:My own arrangement.
Instrument used:Roland LX-15
Recording method:Directly to a USB stick (.wav) on the piano.
Additional info:This is a very fun piece for me to play as our youngest son loves to sing along whenever I play it. I came across the piece for the first time during the holidays and it was love at first listening so to speak. But I was quite disappointed when I learned that the sheet music was not available anywhere. In fact, the song has never even been released on CD (heard it on TV)... I quickly turned to YouTube and same thing again, I could not find anything. The song is only about a year old but still. As a result, I decided to try to transcribe it on my own. I had a blast doing it (and entering it into MuseScore) and I learned a lot at the same time.

Lyrics:
Christmas is a time of joy and peace
The time for spending with the family
It teaches us to share
Show others that we care
Christmas is a time for forgiveness
That is why we all believe in Christmas
It is a time of love joy and peace
It is a time of face to believe
More than presents under a tree topped with a star.
That is why we all believe in Christmas
'Cause we carry Christmas in our hearts

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Peyton
Experience:40+
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPk6fiXfc9Q&list=UUfm6_6G1n0SmMfPJ3ojblZg&index=1
Home page link:http://www.peytonart.com
Title of piece:After All
Composer:Original
Duration:04:54
Instrument used:Pramberger grand
Additional info:Not my best original work but overall I like the tune. When I recorded I was just about totally deaf in my left ear and only later heard a little "tap" when I played the low C. It took a while to figure but it ended up being my pedaling. If I could change anything else I would try harder to keep the tempo slower at the end. By the end I'm almost always a good deal faster than where I started. The piece is called After All and I echo those words in the left hand throughout the piece. The poem that goes with it is as follows;

We are just a speck within a trillion thousand lights
on our tiny little ball.
How fleeting, how insignificant
and how remarkable
after all.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:joangolfing
Experience:10+
Title of piece:Grieg Waltz Op.12
Composer:Edvard Grieg
Duration:02:23
Source of music:Complete Lyric Pieces
Instrument used:Roland FP4
Recording method:Zoom H2 and audacity
Additional info:I played Grieg's Elves Dance in the last recital and continued with another Grieg Lyric Piece for this recital. I'm spending the winter away from my Yamaha grand. Recorded this on my Roland FP4.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Greener / Jeff Green
Experience:Sporadically for 40 years or so. More effort and disciplined approach since joining PW.
Title of piece:Moments Musicaux - A flat major; Opus 94 No. 6
Composer:Schubert (Franz)
Duration:06:01
Source of music:Sheet Music; Compliments of Classical Sonata Analysis Study Thread.
Instrument used:Samick SU-105 40" Console
Recording method:ADK A-51 Type III large condenser mic; Bass. Neumann TLM 103 large condeser mic; Treble. Motu Pre 8 to Logic Pro Studio.

Acknowledgement and special thanks to Michael O. of Beach Digital Media.
Additional info:In 1827, no doubt influenced by the passing of Ludwig van Beethoven and his impressive musical legacy, Schubert channeled a bit of the late composer and created a string of pieces. This work included the first 12 songs of the "Winterreise," as well as the "Piano Sonata in C Minor" and two piano solos, "Impromptus" and "Moments Musicaux."

I came upon this classical work in the Classical Sonata Analysis thread. It took me some time to warm up to it. The more I listened though, the more it grew on me and more so again as I began to learn it. Now I really like it and enjoy playing it. The harmonies of the open chords are very nice.

As a result of this recording, there are a few weaknesses I am more aware of now that I will work on fixing, but not re-recording for.

Thanks for listening and I hope you enjoy it.

Sorry about the squeaky damper pedal frown

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Riddler (Ed)
Experience:Two or three years of lessons as a kid; three years of jazz lessons as an adult; and a lifetime of noodling and playing by ear.
Home page link:http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/
Title of piece:Reflections in D
Composer:Edward Kennedy Ellington
Duration:03:18
Source of music:Lead sheet, transcription, recordings, etc.
Instrument used:Yamaha P-120
Recording method:Pianoteq
Additional info:This piece is often described as impressionistic and sophisticated. It is a far cry, I'd say about as far as a cry can be, from the "jungle music" of Ellington's earlier years.

Interestingly, this piece is cited in Wikipedia as an example of Scriabin's Mystic Chord, AKA the Prometheus Chord, AKA the Dominant 13 #11 Chord.

My original intent was to play note for note from a published transcription of Ellington's recording. It didn't look that hard (famous last words), but when I started to play, I quickly found that some fancy parts were beyond my ability to execute at tempo. (@#$%%^*^&). I settled for creating my own arrangement, plagiarizing freely from the transcription, but unable to restrain myself from altering the melody, harmony, and rhythms. (What else is there? Oh yeah, the mood. So OK, I altered that, too.) Just to prove a point, I suppose, I added some amateurish fancy stuff that was within my ability to play at tempo. So there, take that, Duke! Ya think yer so special!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Monica K.
Experience:Self-taught since summer of 2004
Video link:http://youtu.be/XphhSkMKsew
Home page link:http://www.youtube.com/pianomonica
Title of piece:Just Because I Love You
Composer:David Nevue
Duration:05:09
Source of music:Sheet music, obtained at www.davidnevue.com
Instrument used:Mason & Hamlin A
Recording method:Zoom H4, normalized in audacity
Additional info:Although none of the passages in this piece present much technical difficulty, there's enough variety and the piece is long enough that it was surprisingly hard to get a clean take. I had a lot of fun playing the part at the end that repeats the melody while getting quieter and quieter.

Lunch was leftover tempeh in coconut-peanut sauce.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:ladypayne
Experience:who's keeping track anymore?
Title of piece:Improv in G minor
Composer:ladypayne
Duration:03:10
Source of music:improvised score
Instrument used:casio
Recording method:zoom h1
Additional info:Another song I made up. Enjoy.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Jake S
Experience:1 year
Title of piece:Fur Elise
Composer:Beethoven
Duration:03:16
Source of music:Sheet music (memorised)
Instrument used:Kawai CA93
Additional info:I think every pianist probably plays Fur Elise at some point. For me it captures essence of piano,even if it is a little bit of a cliche. I have fond memories of my Dad playing this when I was growing up.

I see this recital as a little personal milestone, as I can now measure my playing in years rather than months (woohoo, first birthday!), which in my mind means that I have moved from beginner into intermediate(ish) territory.

I had slow cooked beef with crushed potatoes for lunch - doesn't anywhere do mash anymore?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission