2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 10 invisible), 1,924 guests, and 262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2033088 02/14/13 04:04 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
So I recently adopted a cat and I'm not sure how to "secure" the piano when I'm not around. I'd like to train her to stay off of it, but I don't know if that'll work, especially when I'm not home. For now, I closed the lid, flylid and fallboard, so she's not getting inside, but I noticed little paw prints on it this morning (yeah, my lid was kinda dusty shocked ) I'm hoping she's just in the "exploring" phase now, and will eventually just leave it alone.

I was also thinking that if I left the lid wide open, she definitely couldn't walk or lie on it, but then she might go in the piano. Any suggestions? help

Kawai RX-6 BLAK

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Leave the lid down when you're not at home. Your cat will walk around inside the piano, and it's not good for the strings.

You could perhaps try squirting her in the face with a water spray bottle whenever you see her getting up on it. Cats find that pretty aversive.

My cat pretty much leaves my piano alone, but there are times I have to intervene. It's just what you put up with for sharing your household with a pet.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yes, DEFINITELY close the piano. I think about all you can do is hope she doesn't slip and put the claws out! Hopefully the novelty will wear off. If she can see out a window from the piano it will be harder!

Musica 71

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
This is a common topic at Piano World.

When I saw your avatar photo, another solution came to mind.

Just kidding.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
I don't like to make my cats neurotic, so I don't try to train them to stay off things. I close the top of my piano when I'm not playing it, and when I leave in the morning I put a cover on so they can play on top of it all they want.

You don't want kitty walking around inside. (But encourage her if she sits on the bench and plays nicely!)

Robert Swirsky
Thrill Science, Inc.
M
M
Originally Posted by Thrill Science
I don't like to make my cats neurotic, so I don't try to train them to stay off things. I close the top of my piano when I'm not playing it, and when I leave in the morning I put a cover on so they can play on top of it all they want.

Those that think they can train a cat to not go on things are delusional. You only train them to not do it when you're looking. Better to just save the hassle and close the lid and cover it when it's not in use. wink

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
It's sort of odd but my cat loves to hang on the piano. I close it when it's not in use and use a "piano shawl" that the cat lays on. I have caught her inside twice when I was home and banged on some bass clef notes to scare her out of it. I would just keep it closed when it's not in use. What is their obsession with the piano? I wonder...

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Our cat isn't the least bit musical. He never jumps onto the piano, though it would be easy to do from the entry landing. Cat or no cat, it's best to leave pianos all closed up when you're not playing.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
HalfStep #2033575 02/15/13 09:04 AM
M
M
Originally Posted by HalfStep
It's sort of odd but my cat loves to hang on the piano. I close it when it's not in use and use a "piano shawl" that the cat lays on. I have caught her inside twice when I was home and banged on some bass clef notes to scare her out of it. I would just keep it closed when it's not in use. What is their obsession with the piano? I wonder...

My cat will once in a while go inside my piano. I have the strings covered with felt and he really thinks that's a nice box for him to sleep in. When he does that I close it, but he hasn't done it in a while so I can keep it open.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Morodiene #2033769 02/15/13 03:32 PM
S
S
Originally Posted by Morodiene

My cat will once in a while go inside my piano. I have the strings covered with felt and he really thinks that's a nice box for him to sleep in. When he does that I close it, but he hasn't done it in a while so I can keep it open.

You close the piano with the cat inside ?!? wink

Kawai CA65
Tom jumped on the keys a couple of times and the noise scared him so much he stayed off ever since.

M
M
Originally Posted by StefaanBelgium

Yes, that teaches him not to go in it LOL. No, I REMOVE the cat and close the lid laugh

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Morodiene #2034204 02/16/13 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by StefaanBelgium

Yes, that teaches him not to go in it LOL. No, I REMOVE the cat and close the lid laugh

Haha, I'd lock mine in if I thought it would work. I use the short stick so she stays out but then she likes to still lay on the top! That also freaks me out. I just envision her sliding off off the polished ebony and trying to grab hold ! Gulp...

HalfStep #2034707 02/17/13 12:22 PM
P
P
It's sort of odd but my cat loves to hang on the piano. I close it when it's not in use and use a "piano shawl" that the cat lays on. What is their obsession with the piano? I wonder...

They probably think that this kitty condo is the best what comes from pet stores smile

Roland HP-507RW | Yamaha U1 | Roland FP-90
personne #2034723 02/17/13 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by personne
It's sort of odd but my cat loves to hang on the piano. I close it when it's not in use and use a "piano shawl" that the cat lays on. What is their obsession with the piano? I wonder...

They probably think that this kitty condo is the best what comes from pet stores smile

Haha!

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thanks for the tips, everyone. Well, I've been leaving it completely closed when I'm not playing. She is so new to the house that she still hides most of the time. I do know that's she's been "exploring" because tiny paw prints have magically appeared on the lid. I'm a little worried about scratches on the finish, because I don't have a cover. I could get one, but opening and closing the piano all the time is enough of a PITA. Having yo cover it too would be worse.

I guess if it gets some scratches, it's only cosmetic and won't affect the piano's sound. It would be nice if she would just stay off it, though. I might try one of those motion sensor things, or what if I left some aluminum foil on the lid (just until she learned to stay off)? I've read cats don't like to walk on certain things.

Kawai RX-6 BLAK
M
M
I wouldn't put aluminum foil on it, that might scratch the finish. Why not use a heavy blanket on it until you can get a good cover?

I don't see how opening and closing the piano is such a pain. It takes all of what 15 seconds to do? Probably 30 with a cover.

A side note: I leave mine open because the lid is extremely heavy (my piano is over 9') and the lid/hinges were damaged in a freak door/mirror/file cabinet accident. We've repaired it pretty well and it stood up to being moved halfway across the country, but I'm still afraid to move it a lot. Cat hasn't desired to go in it, so it's not really much of an issue anymore.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Morodiene #2034798 02/17/13 03:29 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I wouldn't put aluminum foil on it, that might scratch the finish. Why not use a heavy blanket on it until you can get a good cover?

I don't see how opening and closing the piano is such a pain. It takes all of what 15 seconds to do? Probably 30 with a cover.

A side note: I leave mine open because the lid is extremely heavy (my piano is over 9') and the lid/hinges were damaged in a freak door/mirror/file cabinet accident. We've repaired it pretty well and it stood up to being moved halfway across the country, but I'm still afraid to move it a lot. Cat hasn't desired to go in it, so it's not really much of an issue anymore.

Well mine is a 7' piano and although I don't have to strain to lift the lid or anything, it's not exactly light. Before this, I'd just leave the lid on full stick all the time, so closing the big lid, the fly lid, the fallboard and then also covering it seems like a lot more of a hassle...especially when it gets played frequently.

I would just leave it on full stick all the time, but I really don't want her on the strings. I wouldn't think a cat would like to walk in strings anyway, but who knows.

Kawai RX-6 BLAK
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My tuner said a cat fiddled with the dampers on a piano he worked on and bent them way up, also have had reports of hairballs INSIDE of the piano. Keep the cat out of the piano !!!

Musica 71
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Here's a few good reasons to not let your cats get on or in your piano. This is a 1956 Yamaha G3 that I'm doing some work on (replacing the pinblock, strings, and generally cleaning up and regulating):

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Adam Schulte-Bukowinski, RPT
Piano Technician, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
ASB Piano Service
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission