2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Originally Posted by Radio.Octave
Thanks for the tips, everyone. Well, I've been leaving it completely closed when I'm not playing. She is so new to the house that she still hides most of the time. I do know that's she's been "exploring" because tiny paw prints have magically appeared on the lid. I'm a little worried about scratches on the finish, because I don't have a cover. I could get one, but opening and closing the piano all the time is enough of a PITA. Having yo cover it too would be worse.

I guess if it gets some scratches, it's only cosmetic and won't affect the piano's sound. It would be nice if she would just stay off it, though. I might try one of those motion sensor things, or what if I left some aluminum foil on the lid (just until she learned to stay off)? I've read cats don't like to walk on certain things.

I close my lid and slide the music desk over the dampers so my cat is not tempted to mess around with them. Otherwise, she just lays on the top. She's actually very careful and has never left a scratch. She just lays there... you can use anything for a cover, I use a silk shawl.

I bought my cat off of a breeder in Boston, she was sort of a crazy breeder! I remember she had a grand piano, a Mason Hamlin maybe, it was covered with scratches. That was likely due to the 75 cats she had in her house. I was slightly nervous but it's like any animal, keep them groomed and the house clean and there shouldn't be any issues. Cats are usually pretty smart and know what is expected. My bulldog on the hand... ugh

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
So I've been thinking about it more, and I'm debating between leaving the lid on full stick and getting a string cover vs closing it up tight and getting a piano cover. What do you think would be better?

My concern with leaving the lid closed (without a cover) is the accumulation of scratches, if the cat decides to keep walking on it. My concern with leaving the lid up, is her walking on the strings, which in turn could cause corrosion.

A piano cover seems like the safest option, but it's a shame to cover up such a beautiful instrument.

Kawai RX-6 BLAK
Piano when my wife, my cat likes to jump on the piano to accompany her.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Shigeru Kawai SK-3
Kawai CA95(In Haikou City)
Ok, I've really got to figure out how to upload pics here! Cute cat!

Last edited by HalfStep; 02/19/13 03:05 AM. Reason: To add, cute cat!
My eight month old kitten politely asks to leave the room the minute she sees me sit down at the piano and lift the lid ... She'll follow me around the house, climb up on my shoulder, play games with me until one of us drops, and sleep on my head at night, but listening to me play the piano is just a step too far ... Maybe your cat will be similar ... grin

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Radio.Octave
A piano cover seems like the safest option, but it's a shame to cover up such a beautiful instrument.

If the cover keeps the instrument beautiful, then it is not a shame.

Learner
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Radio.Octave, the cat may train you, but I don't think you are going to be able to train the cat; that is just the way it goes with cats. Bottom line: keep the lid closed, and put some kind of cover on it when you are absent. Better yet, lock the music room and forbid it to the cat altogether. A soft, 100% cotton fabric cover is your safest bet to avoid scratching the lid yourself--- and watch out for the thread used to sew the seams: it is often poly (not cotton, even if the cloth is) and putting it on and off, on and off may put some light scratches on the finish. My tech calls them 'dust scratches.' As careful as you can be, it's almost impossible to avoid--- think of it as those little scratches a new car is bound to get, simply from existing. After you get the first couple or three, you stop noticing.

Waxing it every so often with a product intended for piano finishes (Cory's is what my tech likes) can give it a measure of protection.

With five dogs, I have given up, and now keep mine closed, except when I'm recording. It's not too heavy to open (though not lightweight), but there's also moving the piano lamp, the music, the music desk, etc. Those photos of the dust and cat hair in the action are pretty scary! My tech keeps that stuff policed up, but I think minimizing it is worthwhile.

This thread and link will tell you how to post a photo, HalfStep... and I hope you will find something better to share than an action full of animal hair and house dust.

Malkin, I rememberd why your screen name has been nagging at my subconscious--- not that I think this description applies to you, personally:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimalkin
"...A grimalkin (also called a greymalkin) is an old or evil-looking female cat. The term stems from "grey" (the color) plus "malkin", an archaic term for a cat, derived from a... baby-talk... form of the female name, Maud. Scottish legend makes reference to the grimalkin as a faery cat that dwells in the highlands.

"The... name may first come from the 1570 novel, "Beware the Cat" ...by William Baldwin...
[Described as 'the first English novel;' still in print as of 1995.] ...a story of talking cats, and part of it relates the story of the Grimalkin's death. According to its editors, the story, and thus the name, originates with Baldwin in terms of being the earliest example known in print. It is also spelled Grimmalkin or Grimolochin.

"...The name grimalkin – and cats in general – became associated with... witchcraft. Women tried as witches in the 16th-18th centuries were often accused of having a familiar, frequently a grimalkin...."

Clef

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
I know that one of the techs (BDB?) once said that the danger in cats walking around inside a piano involved the fact that their paws are contaminated from the litter box and that can tarnish strings pretty badly.

As for cute pics, my all time favorite cat on piano photo is this one floating around the web:

[Linked Image]

B
B
I love cats but don't have one, because it's not practicable.

But if I do get one, it will have to be a very musical cat. Like this one: http://youtu.be/TZ860P4iTaM ..... grin

If music be the food of love, play on!
Jeff Clef #2036097 02/19/13 10:17 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jeff Clef

Malkin, I rememberd why your screen name has been nagging at my subconscious--- not that I think this description applies to you, personally:

Jeff--
Why in heaven and earth would I use this screen name if (at least some of) it did not apply to me personally?
wink

(at my house, it generally seems that the cats are the ones with the supernatural powers and I am their familiar.)

Last edited by malkin; 02/19/13 10:20 PM.

Learner

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Oh My!

I wonder if there's ever been an exorcism at PW.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Felt 'String Covers' usually will keep cats out of the piano.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
Oh My!

The moderators do a fine job casting out demons as needed.

Learner
malkin #2036125 02/19/13 11:20 PM

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
Oh My!

The moderators do a fine job casting out demons as needed.

With Rick, it would be a boogie woogie boo booting!

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
Jeff Clef #2036206 02/20/13 03:15 AM
Originally Posted by Jeff Clef
Radio.Octave, the cat may train you, but I don't think you are going to be able to train the cat; that is just the way it goes with cats. Bottom line: keep the lid closed, and put some kind of cover on it when you are absent. Better yet, lock the music room and forbid it to the cat altogether. A soft, 100% cotton fabric cover is your safest bet to avoid scratching the lid yourself--- and watch out for the thread used to sew the seams: it is often poly (not cotton, even if the cloth is) and putting it on and off, on and off may put some light scratches on the finish. My tech calls them 'dust scratches.' As careful as you can be, it's almost impossible to avoid--- think of it as those little scratches a new car is bound to get, simply from existing. After you get the first couple or three, you stop noticing.

Waxing it every so often with a product intended for piano finishes (Cory's is what my tech likes) can give it a measure of protection.

With five dogs, I have given up, and now keep mine closed, except when I'm recording. It's not too heavy to open (though not lightweight), but there's also moving the piano lamp, the music, the music desk, etc. Those photos of the dust and cat hair in the action are pretty scary! My tech keeps that stuff policed up, but I think minimizing it is worthwhile.

This thread and link will tell you how to post a photo, HalfStep... and I hope you will find something better to share than an action full of animal hair and house dust.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimalkin
"...A grimalkin (also called a greymalkin) is an old or evil-looking female cat. The term stems from "grey" (the color) plus "malkin", an archaic term for a cat, derived from a... baby-talk... form of the female name, Maud. Scottish legend makes reference to the grimalkin as a faery cat that dwells in the highlands.

"The... name may first come from the 1570 novel, "Beware the Cat" ...by William Baldwin...
[Described as 'the first English novel;' still in print as of 1995.] ...a story of talking cats, and part of it relates the story of the Grimalkin's death. According to its editors, the story, and thus the name, originates with Baldwin in terms of being the earliest example known in print. It is also spelled Grimmalkin or Grimolochin.

"...The name grimalkin – and cats in general – became associated with... witchcraft. Women tried as witches in the 16th-18th centuries were often accused of having a familiar, frequently a grimalkin...."

Thanks Jeff, I usually peruse while on my iPad. I'll try to upload from the desktop smile

Monica K. #2036249 02/20/13 08:11 AM
N
N
Originally Posted by Monica K.
Leave the lid down when you're not at home. Your cat will walk around inside the piano, and it's not good for the strings.

You could perhaps try squirting her in the face with a water spray bottle whenever you see her getting up on it. Cats find that pretty aversive.

My cat pretty much leaves my piano alone, but there are times I have to intervene. It's just what you put up with for sharing your household with a pet.
My cat loves water (that's why we named him Phelps) so the squirting won't (and doesn't) work for him. A sharp NO! and a little swat on his backside and he's off. He's also smart and we usually don't have to discipline him more than a couple of times until he learns not to do something.

Jack

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thanks all! I'm not to worried about minor scratches, I just would like to avoid major ones (forgive the musical pun, haha). In fact, there are already some little scratches on the piano, probably mostly from me, or from the showroom.

Now, the possibility of corroded strings does bother me. At this point, I'm really leaning towards trying a nice string cover, like the Edwards. It seems to be the least intrusive way or protecting the instrument. The question is, is it enough protection from a cat? The lid would stay on full stick to keep the cat from lying on it.

Last edited by Radio.Octave; 02/20/13 08:17 AM.

Kawai RX-6 BLAK
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission