Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2033251 - 02/14/13 07:21 PM Is anyone considering the Korg SP280?
Possum SP280Krome Offline
500 Post Club Member

Haven't heard any buzz on this whatsoever- is it due to the NH action? Planning on picking one up for $560.
Korg SP280

Rokit KRK 6 monitors
MXL V67G microphone

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#2033274 - 02/14/13 07:54 PM Re: Is anyone considering the Korg SP280? [Re: Possum SP280Krome]
xorbe Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Mt View, CA
Actually, thanks for point out that Korg has something other than Kronos and Krome. I was trying to whip up a short list for a family member.

What's the difference between the SP280's "Natural Weighted Hammer Action" and the SP250's "Real Weighted Hammer Action 3" keybeds? The latter is more impressive sounding, from a marketing perspective.

(Eh, they're kind of heavy.)

#2033285 - 02/14/13 08:18 PM Re: Is anyone considering the Korg SP280? [Re: xorbe]
500 Post Club Member

a relative analogy would be the NH is closer to the Yamaha GHS and the RH3 would be closer to the Yamaha GH,
however, I found the NH on the Krome felt better than the NH on the SP170

The 41 pounds is with the stand, so perhaps the board only weighs 25 pounds by itself?
Korg SP280

Rokit KRK 6 monitors
MXL V67G microphone

#2033430 - 02/14/13 10:51 PM Re: Is anyone considering the Korg SP280? [Re: Possum SP280Krome]
xorbe Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Mt View, CA
Originally Posted By: Possum PX130
a relative analogy would be the NH is closer to the Yamaha GHS and the RH3 would be closer to the Yamaha GH,
however, I found the NH on the Krome felt better than the NH on the SP170

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Possum PX130
The 41 pounds is with the stand, so perhaps the board only weighs 25 pounds by itself?

Lol -- SP280 says with, and SP250 says without! The stands look pretty light weight though -- not like that MDF stuff on my Casio stand.

#2043703 - 03/06/13 01:30 AM Re: Is anyone considering the Korg SP280? [Re: Possum SP280Krome]
Thomas Williams Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
I was considering it -- but decided to go with the SP250, on sale...not only because of the discounted price, but because I tried playing a model with the NH action and greatly preferred the feel of this model's RH3. I haven't actually seen the SP280 in person. But if the feel of the NH action is to your liking, I think it would be a quite nice DP for the <$1000 price range. smile

#2043759 - 03/06/13 04:37 AM Re: Is anyone considering the Korg SP280? [Re: Possum SP280Krome]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
I have not been wowed by the demos, but would like to hear impressions from new owners or those who have played it. FWIW, I don't think NH is bad, but it's not designed to be a premium action.

https://soundcloud.com/richards-recordings/sets/strange-charm-waiting-for-the/s-ppGuy

"can hardly wait to hear what voxpox has to say..."
[HisKidd, May 2014]

#2043916 - 03/06/13 12:35 PM Re: Is anyone considering the Korg SP280? [Re: Thomas Williams]
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Thomas Williams
I was considering it -- but decided to go with the SP250, on sale...not only because of the discounted price, but because I tried playing a model with the NH action and greatly preferred the feel of this model's RH3. I haven't actually seen the SP280 in person. But if the feel of the NH action is to your liking, I think it would be a quite nice DP for the <$1000 price range. smile

I think they are both good choices for the reasons/differences above. I have always liked Korg piano sounds since the 80's.
I am actually getting my SP280 tonight; don't know if I will have time to unbox it but will post a review ASAP.

On a side note, I did get the Krome 61 and am enjoying it so far. I
Korg SP280

Rokit KRK 6 monitors
MXL V67G microphone

#2043960 - 03/06/13 02:00 PM Re: Is anyone considering the Korg SP280? [Re: Possum SP280Krome]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Tried the RH3 again today (Kronos). Still doesn't cut it in comparison to other keys available . Certainly not as a piano (!) keybed. Also quite clunky and pretty slow return of the keys. I wish they had a Krome 88 for comparison , the NH might even be better for pure piano playing. Pity I couldn't try them back to back.

In the end it could turn out to be that choosing the NH over the rH3 on the sp280 isn't such a bad choice, apart from the advantage in weight it means.

#2043971 - 03/06/13 02:27 PM Re: Is anyone considering the Korg SP280? [Re: Possum SP280Krome]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

The NH on the Krome 88 I owned briefly had a slightly faster return than the RH3 on my SV-1. Neither is industry-leading.

https://soundcloud.com/richards-recordings/sets/strange-charm-waiting-for-the/s-ppGuy

[HisKidd, May 2014]

#2044036 - 03/06/13 04:59 PM Re: Is anyone considering the Korg SP280? [Re: voxpops]
ando Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: voxpops
The NH on the Krome 88 I owned briefly had a slightly faster return than the RH3 on my SV-1. Neither is industry-leading.

What happened to your Krome, Vox? I must have missed the conclusion to that story.

#2044046 - 03/06/13 05:26 PM Re: Is anyone considering the Korg SP280? [Re: Possum SP280Krome]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I sold it, ando. There was nothing wrong with the Krome, it was just that I found the size a bit unwieldy for moving around (although commendably light), and I couldn't get away from the feeling that I was playing a computer (even though they all are!). And even though the APs and EPs are nice, I felt that for all the gigabytes thrown at them, they should have been a little more refined.

Talking of refined, the SV-1 is less so than the Krome, but more fun to play live - I like it a lot, despite all its quirks.

The prize for refinement has to go to the Nord Piano (which I repurchased recently). I'm finding the new Italian Grand just wonderful to play - much better than the Grand Lady D, the Long Release helps subtly but perceptibly to improve fluidity, and the latest software release is measurably better than the early one I was using a couple of years ago. Now, like many others here, I'm convinced it's the best sub-$5k DP out there (Physis excluded from this analysis - thus far!). The current issue I'm having is amplifying it. It is very unforgiving of mediocre speakers. I've ordered a couple of Yamaha HS80m monitors to give it the best chance possible. It's never ending.

[HisKidd, May 2014]

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
160 registered (36251, 88 Fingers Jeff, 43 invisible), 1787 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75505 Members
42 Forums
156129 Topics
2292742 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What is the purpose of learning a song's chords?
by Alex1
40 minutes 7 seconds ago
Question about Heller
by BostonTeacher
Today at 01:03 PM
a solo transcription for Debussy' Petite Suite?
by joonsang
Today at 12:03 PM
KAWAI CS7 + VST Instruments
by mmerino
Today at 12:02 PM
Halloween Fantasy and Tag! - student level pieces
by Axtremus
Today at 09:46 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission