Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2033441 - 02/14/13 11:13 PM Re: As a public service, I alert PC to this Piano Forum thre [Re: Mark_C]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Some of his wording was also pretty funny (yet extremely vulgar). The guy was bored.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2033452 - 02/14/13 11:36 PM Re: As a public service, I alert PC to this Piano Forum thre [Re: JoelW]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Originally Posted By: JoelW
The guy was bored.

And probably sexually frustrated with the resultant need to play it all out on PW. He must have not got enough titillation on Facebook.

#2033630 - 02/15/13 10:04 AM Re: As a public service, I alert PC to this Piano Forum thread:) [Re: pianoloverus]
Old Man Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan, USA
Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
I'd say starting this thread is the equivalent of romper room. I think notifying the moderator if a thread is inappropriate is the by far the most reasonable thing to do. But starting a thread about the inappropriateness of another thread is silly. In fact, I can't remember this ever being done before.

But what's "inappropriate"? Most of us still don't even know what the "it" is, since access to the "it" has been denied.

My point is that any and every thread, no matter how trivial, frivolous, or inappropriate, should have its day. Let the market place determine whether it lives to see another day. Why must a handful of tattletales go running to the mods every time they sense impropriety, hence my reference to romper room. ("Miss Nancy, Miss Nancy, Johnny said a bad word!")

I've seen very serious, very "appropriate" threads that get one or two replies and simply drift to the bottom of the thread list. I can't explain why, but for whatever reason, the topic had no appeal.

Then we get a topic like "The piano and homosexuality", which could have been a model of "inappropriateness", and yet it's drawing a huge audience, both in terms of replies and views. Although it's meandered a bit (as all threads do), it's remained serious, thoughtful, and civil. Had the self-appointed censors run to the mods, it probably wouldn't have made it to page 2. Thanks to Kreisler's light hand, it's now approaching page 10. Rather than a model of "inappropriateness", it's become a model of a free-flowing and civil exchange of ideas. Isn't that what PW should be?

#2033640 - 02/15/13 10:26 AM Re: As a public service, I alert PC to this Piano Forum thread:) [Re: Old Man]
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Old Man
I'd say starting this thread is the equivalent of romper room. I think notifying the moderator if a thread is inappropriate is the by far the most reasonable thing to do. But starting a thread about the inappropriateness of another thread is silly. In fact, I can't remember this ever being done before.

But what's "inappropriate"? Most of us still don't even know what the "it" is, since access to the "it" has been denied.

My point is that any and every thread, no matter how trivial, frivolous, or inappropriate, should have its day. Let the market place determine whether it lives to see another day. Why must a handful of tattletales go running to the mods every time they sense impropriety, hence my reference to romper room. ("Miss Nancy, Miss Nancy, Johnny said a bad word!")
Well, that would mean PW is unmoderated unless one expects the moderator to read every thread. I guess that's a possibility but it would definitely change the tone of the site.

#2033662 - 02/15/13 11:04 AM Re: As a public service, I alert PC to this Piano Forum thread:) [Re: Old Man]
Mark_C Offline

Loc: New York
OldMan: Supposed "inappropriateness" of the other thread had nothing to do with this thread. The idea that it was about that was the imagination of the guy you're replying to.

#2033675 - 02/15/13 11:29 AM Re: As a public service, I alert PC to this Piano Forum thread:) [Re: Mark_C]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
"... Had the self-appointed censors run to the mods, it probably wouldn't have made it to page 2..."

Oh, I think he has run to the mods... but they weren't having any.

Good point, about that mouse that won't select a different thread. Definitely needs a new mouse. "Miss Nancy, Miss Nancy---"

Guess I missed the 'excitement' of the crash-landing, but I thought that thread with the x-ray was kind of hilarious, if too-obviously fictitious--- anyway, I hope it was (who brings home his own x-ray?). All the street signs pointed to Divorce Court. Or maybe the writer was trying out a plot line for a daytime drama. Or maybe it was a husband's plot to save himself some money on Valentine's Day. So, what, did the x-ray turn into an ex-husband--- no, wait, it was the other guy that broke his foot--- do we know? I was waiting for the wife (or both wives) (or both wives and the piano teacher) to find out about the thread, and chime in with her own answer; I can well suppose it might have turned too blue for the front page of the forum.

Never mind--- I can wait until the interlocutory decree is granted, to find out... or even, forever.

The only person I remember having that much imagination for role-playing online was PianoMadam. No--- it couldn't be.

#2033735 - 02/15/13 01:12 PM Re: As a public service, I alert PC to this Piano Forum thread:) [Re: Mark_C]
Old Man Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark_C
OldMan: Supposed "inappropriateness" of the other thread had nothing to do with this thread. The idea that it was about that was the imagination of the guy you're replying to.

Precisely. It wasn't clear that "the guy I'm replying to" had even seen the other thread, but it was clear that he was intent on bashing you for starting a "silly" thread. But whether the other thread was inappropriate, and this one silly, or vice versa, or both silly, is beside the point. PL has every right to describe this thread or any other thread exactly the way he sees it. But to suggest it might be "reasonable" to report your silliness to the mods, well, that's where I get off the boat. (Hmmm, bad metaphor given last night's Triumph.) crazy

My very favorite comic was the late, great George Carlin. So that tells you where my "inappropriateness" threshold is. laugh

#2033746 - 02/15/13 01:37 PM Re: As a public service, I alert PC to this Piano Forum thread:) [Re: pianoloverus]
Old Man Offline
500 Post Club Member

Well, that would mean PW is unmoderated unless one expects the moderator to read every thread. I guess that's a possibility but it would definitely change the tone of the site.

While I don't expect an unmoderated forum, I would certainly welcome it. Then again, I'm sure there are probably situations that I haven't considered that might give me pause, so I don't want to be absolutist about it.

But as a general principle, I do believe that as adults, we should be able to handle what comes our way. I have yet to encounter a thread that I thought should be closed, but I haven't read that many, so I'm open to examples. I respect your opinions, but I'm not enamored of a few individuals imposing their opinions on the rest of us by asking that a thread be closed. Call me crazy.

#2033750 - 02/15/13 01:51 PM Re: As a public service, I alert PC to this Piano Forum thread:) [Re: Old Man]
Hakki Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Just For The Fun of It
A place to post stuff that is just plain fun! Games Puzzles Quizes Polls Jokes (keep them clean)

There is a place for such threads. But even then the posts are expected to be "clean".

http://www.youtube.com/user/hakkithepianist

#2033758 - 02/15/13 02:05 PM Re: As a public service, I alert PC to this Piano Forum thread:) [Re: Old Man]
pianoloverus Offline

PL has every right to describe this thread or any other thread exactly the way he sees it. But to suggest it might be "reasonable" to report your silliness to the mods, well, that's where I get off the boat.
That's not what I suggested. I suggested that reporting the thread(s) mentioned in the first post in this thread to the moderators would be reasonable.

Edited by pianoloverus (02/15/13 02:10 PM)

#2033762 - 02/15/13 02:09 PM Re: As a public service, I alert PC to this Piano Forum thread:) [Re: Old Man]
pianoloverus Offline

While I don't expect an unmoderated forum, I would certainly welcome it. Then again, I'm sure there are probably situations that I haven't considered that might give me pause, so I don't want to be absolutist about it.

But as a general principle, I do believe that as adults, we should be able to handle what comes our way. I have yet to encounter a thread that I thought should be closed, but I haven't read that many, so I'm open to examples. I respect your opinions, but I'm not enamored of a few individuals imposing their opinions on the rest of us by asking that a thread be closed. Call me crazy.
Notifying a moderator about a thread doesn't mean the thread will be automatically closed so no one except moderators can impose their opinion. Kreisler only closes threads that get way out of hand or are entirely inappropriate for a forum that includes many teens.

#2033763 - 02/15/13 02:15 PM Re: As a public service, I alert PC to this Piano Forum thread:) [Re: Old Man]
Mark_C Offline

Loc: New York
....But to suggest it might be "reasonable" to report your [supposed] silliness to the mods....

[bracketed word added, for reasons obvious to all right-thinking people] ha

I didn't think he was talking about anyone reporting this thread, but that I should have rather (if anything) reported the other thread.

edit: I see that this is at least one thing he and I can agree on. ha

Quote:
....that's where I get off the boat. (Hmmm, bad metaphor given last night's Triumph.) crazy

The cruise ship thing (not meaning the recent disaster or disasters, but just the general phenomenon) is something I've never been able to relate to. Besides that it has no appeal for me whatsoever, I find the negatives overwhelming, especially that you're captive on the ship if anything should happen, which is exactly the factor that has made the disasters be so disastrous. And I find it extra-hard to understand that the one-after-another disasters don't seem to make a dent in that market.

Quote:
My very favorite comic was the late, great George Carlin. So that tells you where my "inappropriateness" threshold is. laugh

One of my old faves too, going back to when his main thing was the "hippy-dippy weatherman" which in later years he said he thought was totally nothing and he didn't understand that it was such a success.

Later on, long after I knew of the arrest for the "7 Words...." I was surprised to learn that it happened exactly where I was living at the time (Milwaukee) and at a festival that I attended for several days' worth. I guess I was too busy with the classical music stuff there, which was wonderful: Piano recitals by my then coach (and friend), and a Mozart opera, both of which I attended a few times.

#2033782 - 02/15/13 02:58 PM Re: As a public service, I alert PC to this Piano Forum thread:) [Re: pianoloverus]
Old Man Offline
500 Post Club Member

PL has every right to describe this thread or any other thread exactly the way he sees it. But to suggest it might be "reasonable" to report your silliness to the mods, well, that's where I get off the boat.
That's not what I suggested. I suggested that reporting the thread(s) mentioned in the first post in this thread to the moderators would be reasonable.

Well, in that case..... never mind. I clearly misunderstood you and I apologize.

But I still believe it would have been unreasonable for Mark to report that OTHER thread. You know, the imaginary one that only Mark can see. confused

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
70 registered (Atrys, ando, adanepst, 36251, BB Player, 13 invisible), 1113 Guests and 49 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74198 Members
42 Forums
153492 Topics
2249209 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tired Fingers
by adanepst
Today at 01:45 AM
Bechstein 7
by PhilipInChina
Today at 01:07 AM
Premier Piano of New York
by FenderJazzMan
Yesterday at 11:58 PM
Top selling self-taught pianists?
by Sand Tiger
Yesterday at 11:06 PM
Just got my MP11!
by Dan Clark
Yesterday at 10:18 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission