Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
159 registered (accordeur, ajames, A Guy, Al LaPorte, 39 invisible), 1846 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2032892 - 02/14/13 08:20 AM Kawai GE30 and Yamaha GC1
Chris H. Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK.
I had a lovely morning piano shopping at the excellent Clement pianos in Nottingham UK. Great showroom and really knowledgeable staff who were happy to leave me to play and enjoy the instruments before giving me details and info.

Anyway I posted another thread recently about looking for a new grand priced in the region of 10k (uk pounds). I'm interested in Feurich and also paying a visit to Chris Venables at some point as I have heard great things about the Hailun based pianos which offer slightly more size for the money. This morning I went to look at the Kawai GE30 because I like the brand and have been impressed with their models in the past. It's priced a little over budget but not much and is also a bit smaller at 164cm. They also had a Yamaha GC1 for similar money which was useful to compare. I own a U1 upright which I like a lot so was keen to try the GC1.

Both were nice pianos but of the two I have to say I was quite blown away by the Kawai. Nothing wrong with the Yamaha but I did feel the bass was a bit weak. If I hadn't played anything else it might not have been so obvious. Loved the Yamaha action and the sound is familiar to me and quite pleasing. In fact the action on both offered significantly more control and expression than my U1. But that Kawai was such a musical piano. There was a nice RX2 sat next to it which was better but not as much as I would have expected. The GE30 was warm and rich, quite European in sound and was capable of great dynamic and tonal range. I loved it and think that size wise it is probably perfect for my music room.

Still looking forward to trying other pianos in the same price range (and welcome suggestions) but that little Kawai is going to take some beating!

While I was there I also played the Sauter Alpha 160 because it's similar in size to the Kawai and Yamaha. Not really a fair comparison because it's three times the price! But it goes to show what you can do with a small grand piano. So clear right across the range and a very characterful instrument. I want one! But given the price difference I think the GE30 would do just fine.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2032975 - 02/14/13 11:16 AM Re: Kawai GE30 and Yamaha GC1 [Re: Chris H.]
RX2Bunny Offline

Loc: Chicago
I played GE30 during my piano search and I loved it. I didn't get it in the end as it's kinda my first (adulthood) piano and I wanted to develop more skills before i buy a grand. I feel as i advance, my requirements, taste, and preference for grand might change. So I'm setting a 2-4 years timeline for myself. I'm having a Kawai K5 and love it. But the experience of playing GE30 is still fresh in my head.

I'm already dreaming about my grand. i think we have similar budget so I'd be very interested to what you pick at the end! When i'm more ready, I'd want to try Feurich 168 as 179 might be little too big for my home. Btw, have you heard of and tried Ritmuller? many people here love it. I tried it.. the sound was pretty good to my ears but I wasn't quite impressed by the material of the piano. i felt the fallboard was really light and felt little strange. and the action was too light to me. However, I think it's good sound and good price. you might want to check it out.

p.s. oh yeah, I think the size of GE30 is perfect for my room as well!

#2032981 - 02/14/13 11:26 AM Re: Kawai GE30 and Yamaha GC1 [Re: Chris H.]
Norbert Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Quote:
Btw, have you heard of and tried Ritmuller? many people here love it. I tried it.. the sound was pretty good to my ears but I wasn't quite impressed by the material of the piano.

Make sure you're looking at the new GH series grands designed by Lothar Thomma.

http://www.ritmullerusa.com/new-models-grand.html

"Designed by L.Thoma" is right on steel frame, without it you're not looking at the pianos people have been talking about.

P.S. previous Ritmuellers or those not belonging to this particular group are entirely different specimen...

best of luck

Norbert smile

Edited by Norbert (02/14/13 11:30 AM)

#2032986 - 02/14/13 11:29 AM Re: Kawai GE30 and Yamaha GC1 [Re: Chris H.]
Robert 45 Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland New Zealand
Hello Chris,
I think that you have already made your choice. In choosing any piano, musicality would also be my most important criterion. It seems that this GE30 is the right "fit" for you in all respects.

Good luck for your purchase!

Robert.

#2033072 - 02/14/13 02:29 PM Re: Kawai GE30 and Yamaha GC1 [Re: Chris H.]
Chris H. Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Rileybunny, are you in the UK too?

I may have played Ritmuller in the past, could be mistakes but I think they had them in Jaques Samuels down in London. It was a few years ago so if I did they would not be the same as new ones as Norbert pointed out.

Robert, you could well be right. I don't intend to rush this purchase as I've been there before and regretted it. It doesn't matter to me if it happens this year or next and to be honest there could be some life changes ahead which might have an impact, but hopefully not in a bad way. At least I know that there is something out there that I could really love and enjoy within a sensible budget. I would be more than happy with the Kawai. But I still intend to enjoy the search and play as many pianos as possible including anything that might come up on the used market. A good second hand purchase could save me a lot of money so I can't rule that out.

#2033119 - 02/14/13 04:06 PM Re: Kawai GE30 and Yamaha GC1 [Re: Chris H.]
maurus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Of the new pianos in this price range that I played while searching mine I found the Kawai GE30 the most attractive one. It had this warm tone and musicality as you say.

In the end I spent quite a bit more as I made the mistake to play too much on more expensive pianos (such as Bluethners, Försters, and even a few Steinways and one Bösendorfer) - but again was drawn to a small Kawai as the best compromise (for me).

#2033126 - 02/14/13 04:11 PM Re: Kawai GE30 and Yamaha GC1 [Re: Chris H.]
Chris H. Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Haha, fortunately I don't have the means to be drawn by more and more expensive pianos! I can see that it is easily done though.

#2033157 - 02/14/13 04:49 PM Re: Kawai GE30 and Yamaha GC1 [Re: Chris H.]
Steven Y. A. Offline

Loc: Toronto
check out Hailun, too. Many people rate them over (or at least as good) to Yamaha &Kawai

#2033385 - 02/14/13 09:58 PM Re: Kawai GE30 and Yamaha GC1 [Re: Chris H.]
RX2Bunny Offline

Loc: Chicago
Chris, no I live in Chicago

#2033488 - 02/15/13 01:38 AM Re: Kawai GE30 and Yamaha GC1 [Re: Norbert]
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: torrance, CA
Originally Posted By: Norbert

Make sure you're looking at the new GH series grands designed by Lothar Thomma.
"Designed by L.Thoma" is right on steel frame, without it you're not looking at the pianos people have been talking about.
Norbert smile

Yes, and if you're looking for jeans, remember that only genuine Levi's have the little red tab on the pocket. Without it, they might be leftover Jordache stock. shocked

Chris,

If you do run across a Ritmuller GH, be sure to put it through its paces and listen to it critically without getting hung up on a name on the frame. It should be able to stand on its musicality without a designer label.

PS Bear in mind too that you can find horse meat in places other than your lasagna. smile

#2033496 - 02/15/13 02:05 AM Re: Kawai GE30 and Yamaha GC1 [Re: Chris H.]
Chris H. Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I'm not sure that the new Ritmuller pianos are available over here, quick search doesn't come up with anything.

Steven, we don't get Hailun either but there are similar instruments.

#2033547 - 02/15/13 06:40 AM Re: Kawai GE30 and Yamaha GC1 [Re: Chris H.]
rocklandpiano Offline

I think that you have already made your choice. In choosing any piano, musicality would also be my most important criterion.
It seems that this Yamaha gc1 is the right "fit" for you in all respects.

Good luck!
Piano players in Monsey, New York have relied on Charles Flaum since before 1990 for piano tuning, piano repairs and sage piano advice. Monsey, a family oriented village in Rockland County, is full of piano lovers with cherished pianos in their homes..

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Price of Knabe WMV-121?
by blackjack1777
11/26/14 04:36 PM
Audiobox USB vs Audiobox 22VSL
by mitzysman
11/26/14 04:33 PM
Production Grand
by mitzysman
11/26/14 04:05 PM
Have you seen this person/these people anywhere?
by Mark Davis
11/26/14 03:55 PM
Humming noise with MIDI-IN and LINE-IN
by Frdric L
11/26/14 03:41 PM
Forum Stats
77053 Members
42 Forums
159378 Topics
2341174 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission