Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2033774 - 02/15/13 02:40 PM Any left-handed pianist here? Advantages &disadvantages?
jian1zh Offline

I was born left-handed, even to this day, my left hand is bigger than right, about 0.5cm longer each finger, also stronger.

But I found playing piano as a lefty is really an advantage. I could play left-handed excercises at ease, chopin's revolution etude is my favorite as my left hand flying down the passage with little difficulty.

My right hand is also very strong, due to 30 years of forced training (In China, they harshly correct left hander at school, so I was forced to write, using chop sticks, cissor with right hand), now it has same dexterity as left hand, and only a little bit weaker in terms of strength, only a little bit, not affecting my playing at all. I think I am now truly ambidextrous, haha.

What's your opinions over left-handness at playing piano? as I am aware in US/CAN they don't force left-hand children to correct and as a result lefties might have weaker right hand here and maybe it affects your playing? any thoughts?

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2033779 - 02/15/13 02:52 PM Re: Any left-handed pianist here? Advantages &disadvantages? [Re: jian1zh]
ju5t1n-h Offline

Loc: Vancouver, British Columbia
I don't feel it has hindered or effected me in anyway - I write and eat with my left, however I throw a ball, play golf/basketball/sport etc etc right handed.

#2033781 - 02/15/13 02:55 PM Re: Any left-handed pianist here? Advantages &disadvantages? [Re: ju5t1n-h]
jian1zh Offline

Originally Posted By: ju5t1n-h
I don't feel it has hindered or effected me in anyway - I write and eat with my left, however I throw a ball, play golf/basketball/sport etc etc right handed.

I am the opposite of you, I write, eat(chopstick) with right hand due to school forced correction, other than those, I kick, throw, playing golf, using a mouse all with my left hand/foot, but my right hand can do those things equally well without a problem, despite I prefer my left hand. My right hand's only problem is its 0.5cm shortness, and a tiny tiny bit of weakness.

Edited by jian1zh (02/15/13 02:59 PM)

#2033805 - 02/15/13 03:48 PM Re: Any left-handed pianist here? Advantages &disadvantages? [Re: jian1zh]
ju5t1n-h Offline

See I prefer my right hand to do anything apart from eat and write - so most would say that I'm left handed, but I consider myself to be ambidextrous. I can write with my right hand, but takes me a lot longer and looks like I ought to have a PHD in medicine.

I am a lot more coordinated with my right hand, but I'm more controlled with the left - I'm so strange! haha

#2033813 - 02/15/13 03:58 PM Re: Any left-handed pianist here? Advantages &disadvantages? [Re: ju5t1n-h]
jian1zh Offline

See I prefer my right hand to do anything apart from eat and write - so most would say that I'm left handed, but I consider myself to be ambidextrous. I can write with my right hand, but takes me a lot longer and looks like I ought to have a PHD in medicine.

I am a lot more coordinated with my right hand, but I'm more controlled with the left - I'm so strange! haha

You are no hardcore lefty! You don't belong to us, haha.

#2033821 - 02/15/13 04:20 PM Re: Any left-handed pianist here? Advantages &disadvantages? [Re: jian1zh]
ju5t1n-h Offline

Originally Posted By: jian1zh

Haha - but I write with the left hand! let me be one of youuuuu!

#2033842 - 02/15/13 05:03 PM Re: Any left-handed pianist here? Advantages &disadvantages? [Re: jian1zh]
Sam Rose Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I'm also one of those freaks who write and eat left handed but play ball right handed. I consider myself somewhat ambidextrous, but I can't play piano very well with either of my hands frown
Chopin Ballade no 1 in G minor Op.23
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $

#2033853 - 02/15/13 05:25 PM Re: Any left-handed pianist here? Advantages &disadvantages? [Re: jian1zh]
jian1zh Offline

I am glad they no longer force us lefties to write with right hand anymore in China, my nephew now write with left hand without being corrected by teacher like I used to be treated (teachers used harsh words to describe you as "weirdo", "rebel", since left-handness was considered very bad back in China). There's tools such as left-handed scissor available to public, unlike my old days, NO left handed scissors available, at least not in old days China.

I also find it's more convenient to live in 21st century as I no longer am required to write up documents with right hand, all done on computer with a qwerty keyboard which was accidentally designed to favor us lefties. Driving is also a breeze, especially for a stick shift, I steer with my dominate hand!

ETA: the only inconvenience/annoyance I've still yet to overcome is the available drilling tools on the market, although I feel comfortable enough to drill with my right hand, I'd still prefer a driller designed to suite left hand, yet CrappyTire doesn't sell any of them.

Edited by jian1zh (02/15/13 05:29 PM)

#2033861 - 02/15/13 05:40 PM Re: Any left-handed pianist here? Advantages &disadvantages? [Re: jian1zh]
rada Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: pagosa springs,co
I also grew up under the 'not allowed to use your left hand' law. My mother said we all reached with our left but she insisted on our using the right hand. I often have right-handed students asking me if left-handed students have it easier at the piano. Funny thing is I never know if a student I have is left or right until they use a pencil. So it seems what really matters is practice.

rada

#2033876 - 02/15/13 06:00 PM Re: Any left-handed pianist here? Advantages &disadvantages? [Re: rada]
jian1zh Offline

Originally Posted By: rada
I also grew up under the 'not allowed to use your left hand' law. My mother said we all reached with our left but she insisted on our using the right hand. I often have right-handed students asking me if left-handed students have it easier at the piano. Funny thing is I never know if a student I have is left or right until they use a pencil. So it seems what really matters is practice.

rada

Your mother must be Chinese, haha.

Although I agree with practice makes perfection, but the dominance does affect people's playing, at least mine.

I can play those very difficult left handed etudes like a breeze, and was unware of it until I see right handed struggling with them.

#2033888 - 02/15/13 06:21 PM Re: Any left-handed pianist here? Advantages &disadvantages? [Re: ju5t1n-h]
jian1zh Offline

Haha - but I write with the left hand! let me be one of youuuuu! [/quote]

You can't! It's genetic, this gene runs through my family, haha.

#2033891 - 02/15/13 06:25 PM Re: Any left-handed pianist here? Advantages &disadvantages? [Re: jian1zh]
jawhitti Offline

I am left-handed but not Chinese so I grew up doing most everything but playing video games left-handed.

I can't say it's been much of a thing one way or the other. If anything, my instructor complains that I play the LH too loudly and when I told him I'm left-handed he went "ohhhhhhhhh". I guess left hand melodies are a little easier but in the grand scheme of things I don't think it's made much difference in anything.

#2033898 - 02/15/13 06:40 PM Re: Any left-handed pianist here? Advantages &disadvantages? [Re: jian1zh]
dkong99 Offline

Being left-handed hasn't proved to be a problem in playing the piano. For example in my youth I was forced to play the violin as well as do other activities right handed. things were a bit different when I was growing up, there was a strong bias against left handers in the U.S., in fact there still is but not to the same degree as other parts of the world.

I play the guitar left handed so that gave me an advantage as my right hand is used to pressing down the strings on the fretboard so that is easily transferable to pressing down keys on a piano.

IMHO, probably the strongest advantage of the left handed pianst is because they've been forced to adapt to the right handed world they tend to be more ambidexous so when performing an activity where both hands are necessary the task isn't as daunting as say for a person who is used to using only their right hand.

DAVID

#2033901 - 02/15/13 06:48 PM Re: Any left-handed pianist here? Advantages &disadvantages? [Re: dkong99]
jian1zh Offline

Originally Posted By: dkong99
Being left-handed hasn't proved to be a problem in playing the piano. For example in my youth I was forced to play the violin as well as do other activities right handed. things were a bit different when I was growing up, there was a strong bias against left handers in the U.S., in fact there still is but not to the same degree as other parts of the world.

I play the guitar left handed so that gave me an advantage as my right hand is used to pressing down the strings on the fretboard so that is easily transferable to pressing down keys on a piano.

IMHO, probably the strongest advantage of the left handed pianst is because they've been forced to adapt to the right handed world they tend to be more ambidexous so when performing an activity where both hands are necessary the task isn't as daunting as say for a person who is used to using only their right hand.

DAVID

I bet you didn't receive as much as negativity from school as I did.

Chinese culture hates left-hand, the word "left" means literally bad, off-beat.

You would get your hands slapped hard by teacher if using left hand. Your parents would beat you if discovered using chopstick with wrong hand. P.E. teacher literally corrects your jumping foot, forcing you to throw basket ball with right hand . Scissors in China used to be right-hand only. Left-handers were not allowed in the army.

I grew up adapting to this right-hand world in a hard way. Damn, I wish one day I could force some right-hander going through the same ordeal I had.

#2033975 - 02/15/13 09:58 PM Re: Any left-handed pianist here? Advantages &disadvantages? [Re: jian1zh]
ZoeCalgary Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Calgary Alberta
I am left handed. I did organ as a kid and got used to pounding chords out with my left hand. I have trouble playing left hand softly (though I think that's getting better). For piano I feel my right hand is stronger and has more control. I don't feel being left handed gives me any advantage/disadvantage relative to piano.

But like many others I use my right hand for some things(throwing a ball, using a mouse, scissors) and my left for others (writing, eating,) so one hand is not entirely dominant. Interesting question to ponder though!

#2034027 - 02/15/13 11:43 PM Re: Any left-handed pianist here? Advantages &disadvantages? [Re: ZoeCalgary]
jian1zh Offline

Originally Posted By: ZoeCalgary
I am left handed. I did organ as a kid and got used to pounding chords out with my left hand. I have trouble playing left hand softly (though I think that's getting better). For piano I feel my right hand is stronger and has more control. I don't feel being left handed gives me any advantage/disadvantage relative to piano.

But like many others I use my right hand for some things(throwing a ball, using a mouse, scissors) and my left for others (writing, eating,) so one hand is not entirely dominant. Interesting question to ponder though!

I found lots of people refer to themselves lefties aint' true are, if you still prefer do lots of things with right hand.

A hardcore left-hander such as myself is totally genetic, it runs through my paternal family. If you developed your left hand later in life, you totally ain't a lefty at all, for eg, if you lost your right hand but developed marvelous skills with left hand, genetically, you are still a right hander. We born with total dominating left-hand, my left side has bigger bones, longer arm, bigger hand, bigger almost everything, without forcing using right hand, my right can't do much thing as I presumed, despite I developed to be an ambidextrous later in my life.

I also find that true lefty is very rare among populations.

#2034044 - 02/16/13 12:52 AM Re: Any left-handed pianist here? Advantages &disadvantages? [Re: jian1zh]
dkong99 Offline

Back in the sixties, oh heck yes. I remember my second grade teacher tying my left hand behind my back so I wouldn't use it.

My parents were 2nd Gen Chinese Americans but that didn't make it any easier.

I probably can top you horror story to horror story but I try not to dwell on the past as you can't change what happened but hopefully you can help ensure the future is better.

DAVID

#2034102 - 02/16/13 04:25 AM Re: Any left-handed pianist here? Advantages &disadvantages? [Re: jawhitti]
jian1zh Offline

Originally Posted By: jawhitti
I am left-handed but not Chinese so I grew up doing most everything but playing video games left-handed.

I can't say it's been much of a thing one way or the other. If anything, my instructor complains that I play the LH too loudly and when I told him I'm left-handed he went "ohhhhhhhhh". I guess left hand melodies are a little easier but in the grand scheme of things I don't think it's made much difference in anything.

In your case, I doubt your lH is being too lound. It probably due to right hand doesn't have a effective way controlling sound aptitude. That seems to occur when you weren't forced to learn to be ambidextrous as I were, now your right hand is as weak as those right-hander's LH, and unfortunately, most musics written with main melody played by RH.

#2034142 - 02/16/13 07:43 AM Re: Any left-handed pianist here? Advantages &disadvantages? [Re: jian1zh]
jawhitti Offline

Jian, if you ever heard me play you'd quickly agree that "too loudly" describes my playing in a nutshell. Nothing terrifies me more than the word "leggiero"... wink

#2034530 - 02/17/13 12:15 AM Re: Any left-handed pianist here? Advantages &disadvantages? [Re: jian1zh]
Pianolance Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Nashville, TN
I'm a lefty and I think my left hand is a little better than my right, but music is so skewed to the right with the melody being in the right hand, a pianist is forced to develop his or her right hand. As for ambidexterity, I eat and write left handed, play ping pong left handed, but I play baseball right handed and bowl right handed. I can't seem to make up my mind. I play tennis with both hands which gives me a few more inches reach. My high school coach yelled at me to pick a hand. I can only serve with my right hand though, since it is a motion very similar to throwing a ball.

#2034644 - 02/17/13 09:03 AM Re: Any left-handed pianist here? Advantages &disadvantages? [Re: jian1zh]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I think it may depend on the style of music you prefer to play. If you're doing more of a LH-chord RH-melody kind of piece (common in some method books and in lead sheet playing) then there is a chance it will be more challenging for your RH to really bring out the melody. However, in classical playing there are many difficult things for the LH to do, while being the accompaniment to the RH.

I'm a right-handed person and so Beethoven sonatas and some Chopin works have some really challenging LH parts. So, I don't think that left-handed pianists are at a disadvantage. Everyone has their own weaknesses to overcome. smile
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2034705 - 02/17/13 11:21 AM Re: Any left-handed pianist here? Advantages &disadvantages? [Re: jian1zh]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

There are many, many works written specifically for LH, by Brahms, Saint-Saëns, Scriabin, Godowsky, Bartók, Moszkowski, Alkan et al.....but hardly any written just for RH, so you have an advantage wink .

Probably the best and most well-known is this: http://youtu.be/KJTUUKAdZDU

#2034809 - 02/17/13 02:57 PM Re: Any left-handed pianist here? Advantages &disadvantages? [Re: jian1zh]
musica71 Offline

Loc: Bend, Or.
I don't find in the general repertoire that it makes a bit of difference. Sensitivity must be developed in both hands. Often the melody is interchanged between hands.

#2034860 - 02/17/13 04:59 PM Re: Any left-handed pianist here? Advantages &disadvantages? [Re: jian1zh]
Goof Offline

Loc: UK
I had a classmate who broke his right arm, aged about 16, he started to use his left to write and stayed using it even after his plaster cast was removed.

#2035472 - 02/18/13 08:06 PM Re: Any left-handed pianist here? Advantages &disadvantages? [Re: Goof]
personne Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
I was genetically left-handed, but was learnt to use my right hand to hold a spoon and a fork, or to write (I can write but my left hand, I just do not have the skill to do it fast and nicely).
I still cannot use a knife by the right hand and use my left hand for anything else - for example, my first reaction is always to use the left hand.

How it influences my playing? I definitely have little trouble playing polyphonic pieces with several voices, and can easily play moments where the left hand leads.
But I would prefer all these fast trills to be written for LH, not for the right (although I play them after practice) - I would prefer the LH party was ornamented smile
I spend a little bit more efforts to play fast by left hand than by right as well.

It is not scientific though, and just my IMO - as it could be just my skill set smile

But overall it was easier for me to learn piano than to my right-handed classmates who usually used one hand for most activities.

#2035879 - 02/19/13 01:39 PM Re: Any left-handed pianist here? Advantages &disadvantages? [Re: jian1zh]
Brad Hoehne Offline

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: jian1zh

Chinese culture hates left-hand, the word "left" means literally bad, off-beat.

You would get your hands slapped hard by teacher if using left hand. Your parents would beat you if discovered using chopstick with wrong hand. P.E. teacher literally corrects your jumping foot, forcing you to throw basket ball with right hand . Scissors in China used to be right-hand only. Left-handers were not allowed in the army.

I grew up adapting to this right-hand world in a hard way. Damn, I wish one day I could force some right-hander going through the same ordeal I had.

The US is probably only about 3 generations ahead of China in terms of left handed acceptance. I went to a US catholic school in the 1980s, and I recall of the older alumni and faculty told stories about how they were forced in their youth to adopt right-handedness when they noticed my left handedness.

Western languages, too, give evidence to the stigma attached to being left handed. The Latin word for "left" is "sinistra"- the origin, of course, of the word "sinister." The french word for "left" is "gauche", which basically means "uncouth" or "clumsy." The latin word for "right" is "dexter", from which the word "dextrous" comes. In other words, to be capable meant to be "dexter" or "right."

I am almost as left handed as can be. I write, eat, swing a bat, use scissors, use a computer mouse, use a broom (left hand on top), strike a match (left hand holds the match, right the box), play tennis, and do a whole host of other things in the standard left handed way. The only things I do right handed are the ones where the left handed option was not readily available in my youth. I play golf (hand me down clubs were only right handed), play guitar (borrowed guitar can't easily be restrung), and play piano (soprano by tradition is towards the right) in the "right handed" way.

However, I've never found it to be a limitation OR an advantage in piano to be left handed. I don't feel particularly adroit with my left hand compared to the right-handers I know- and tend, like most folks, to find complex passages a more difficult with the left than the right. I'm sure this is owing a right handed bias in practice caused by the fact that, in most music, the right hand is more "notey" or melodic than the left.

Edited by Brad Hoehne (02/19/13 01:42 PM)

Currently working on:
Rach. Prelude Op 32 #12
Mozart Piano Sonata #17, K570
Villa-Lobos, Bachianas Brasileiras #4
Playing by ear and "filling out" pop tunes

#2037432 - 02/22/13 10:32 AM Re: Any left-handed pianist here? Advantages &disadvantages? [Re: jian1zh]
Brad Hoehne Offline

Loc: Ohio
On these lines, I thought this concept was interesting- a left handed piano:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po2_PnH54TA

Currently working on:
Rach. Prelude Op 32 #12
Mozart Piano Sonata #17, K570
Villa-Lobos, Bachianas Brasileiras #4
Playing by ear and "filling out" pop tunes

#2037610 - 02/22/13 04:48 PM Re: Any left-handed pianist here? Advantages &disadvantages? [Re: jian1zh]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
I have often though about taking an upright piano and adding a keyboard to the back of it, with a connecting linkage to the action. This piano could then be played right or left handed. Perhaps a neat idea for four handed playing as well...

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#2037637 - 02/22/13 05:31 PM Re: Any left-handed pianist here? Advantages &disadvantages? [Re: jian1zh]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Jurgen - That would be just too much inverted retrograde for us poor pianists to comprehend!

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2251131 - 03/23/14 07:42 PM Re: Any left-handed pianist here? Advantages &disadvantages? [Re: Brad Hoehne]
riley80 Offline

Loc: Florida
My cousin, born in 1932, was forced to write right handed. He developed a type of mirror writing. He also claimed that one ear grew more than the other. ??

He can write right handed, but it's a very childish script, bordering on printing.

FWIW, I had one left handed friend who quit piano lessons as a kid - she was very slow and awkward, could not coordinate the two hands, yet had a high IQ. I don't know any other left handed pianists.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Advice please
by Ems' Mum
Today at 05:14 AM
Help identify the piano action
by Kumi_27
Today at 04:16 AM
OT New story, new thread?
by PhilipInChina
Today at 01:28 AM
Recording without a computer
by doremi
Yesterday at 11:06 PM
Liebestod - Tremolos in bass dynamic control
by lotsofquestions
Yesterday at 10:55 PM
Who's Online
97 registered (36251, alberto, AimeeO, A Guy, Alan_Dublin, Alan F, 27 invisible), 1251 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76702 Members
42 Forums
158609 Topics
2329434 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission