2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (AndyOnThePiano2, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, 11 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I think that when people give away one single book it is because they are going to buy a better edition. When you find a whole stack of good books (this has happened to me too) it is either because someone has died and their family are not interested in music or someone has given up playing.
At any rate those discoveries are precious. They really make your day. I feel like visiting some second-hand shops soon. smile

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Does anyone know of second-hand shops in NYC where one might find good copies of music? The Strand comes to mind, but I've never thought of looking for music there.

Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Nice haul! I think I should start perusing some of the stores around here.

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
I just had a similar experience at a "vintage" store recently. I saw a stack of sheet music with a sign on it marked "$25." I asked about it and learned that it was $25 for the whole stack, which turned out to quite a bit larger than I had initially thought. I scooped up the whole 15" or so pile (two almost handles ripping shopping bags full) and sorted out my haul when I got home.

All told it was about half Schirmer editions, including the first two books of the "Brahms Complete Works for piano", a complete cycle of Beethoven Symphony transcriptions, a Mendelssohn and a Liszt collection.

I also got a set of 35 Scarlatti sonatas. About 8 Peters editions of Mozart Piano concertos (6, 12, 16, 17, 20, 21,23, and 24). Cortot's "Rational Principles of Piano Technique" and both books of his Chopin Etudes. Two Haydn Concertos, two sets of Piano four hands works by Mozart and Brahms. A set of Bach Chorales. A book of Tcherpnin works. Prokofiev "Visions Fugitives" More that I can't remember right now.

Despite about half of this being redundant in my collection, I think I made out pretty well.

Last edited by Brad Hoehne; 02/14/13 04:46 PM.

1999 Petrof 125-111 (upright)
Casio Privia PX-330

Currently working on:
Chopin Etude op 25 #2 and op 10 #5
Schubert Op 90 #2, #3
Playing by ear and "filling out" pop tunes
Q
Q
Newsflash for the Seattleites...I just (as in seconds ago) read that the Capitol Hill Half Price will be closing this June. I'd provide the link, but I read it on The Stranger's blog and, well, I couldn't get the link to hide some of the other things that appear on there.

The only music I've ever found there have been Schirmers. Maybe I'll check out the selection before they close. frown

Gooddog Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Brad Hoehne
I just had a similar experience at a "vintage" store recently...Despite about half of this being redundant in my collection, I think I made out pretty well.
Wow! It's a great feeling isn't it? I actually like having several different editions of pieces I am working. There is so much editing, it's interesting to compare.

At quodlibet: oh no! First, our favorite Greek Restaurant in Fremont has closed (Costa's Opa)now this. [Linked Image]

Best regards,

Deborah
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
For those who live in NYC I highly recommend the St. Agnes library on around 81st and Amsterdam for used books about music(not scores). Many are in virtually perfect condition and most cost $2 with a maximum being around $5. They usually have a selection of around at least 500. The book sales are every two weeks.

G
G
great score!! Reminds me of an antique store find about 20 years ago. Henle editions of the Mozart Sonatas, Beethoven Violin Sonatas, Chopin, Bach, misc editions of Scarlatti,... Most were brand new stock from a defunct Ottawa music store. I always dream about finding another treasure load.

Good discussion about what happens to our libraries when we're no longer here. Hopefully some will go to my descendants, but I expect that some will end up going to local scholarship funds or teachers to distribute to deserving students. It's the best thing I can think of that will help others.

Steinway B - 1958
Shigeru SK7
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I suppose all that music is in the public domain and free to download from the internet, but somehow there's nothing quite like having the sheet music to learn from.

Am I the only person in the world who is completely incapable of learning a score from a screen?

This week I have printed off, "O Mio Babbino Caro", as I just cannot remember it from a screen, though God knows, it is short enough, and am doing much better with the printed copy.

I don't care what happens to it all when I die, except my hard won collection of The Beach Boys sheet music compiled over four decades and more, (yes, a little down-market I know, but I love virtually everything you can play on a piano, even disco!) including "Pet Sounds", "The Beach Boys Love You", and "Fifteen Big Ones".

I'm taking that lot with me!

Congratulaions on the music you found, a superb bargain, I take it you'll be deserting us for a long time now?

Gooddog Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by slipperykeys
I suppose all that music is in the public domain and free to download from the internet, but somehow there's nothing quite like having the sheet music to learn from.

I much prefer to own my own bound scores. The quality of the printing, binding, thick pages and minimal editing of Henle can't be beat. I download scores from the internet only for comparision or if I'm waiting for my music order to arrive in the mail.

Am I the only person in the world who is completely incapable of learning a score from a screen?
You are not alone!
Congratulaions on the music you found, a superb bargain, I take it you'll be deserting us for a long time now?

Ha! Ha! Probably not. I perused the new stuff but I'm sticking with my current repertoire challenges for now!

Best regards,

Deborah
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
sick (not sick, just green with envy smile )

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by gooddog
Wow! It's a great feeling isn't it? I actually like having several different editions of pieces I am working. There is so much editing, it's interesting to compare.
I must have 5 or 6 editions of the Beethoven Sonatas and as many Bach's P&F's. If I'm learning something they all come out.

Laissez tomber les mains
Originally Posted by RealPlayer
Does anyone know of second-hand shops in NYC where one might find good copies of music? The Strand comes to mind, but I've never thought of looking for music there.

Two summers ago I happened to be in NYC and checked out their music section. It was fairly limited but a really odd range of things: about a dozen copies each of Scriabin Sonatas Vol. 2 (Edito Musica Budapest... ssshh, the ones that copy Henle :P ) and a Dover collection of Russian miniatures, plus some assorted things. It was very strange to see that much well-engraved late Scriabin just chilling on the shelf for $8 a pop, I must say.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Unfortunately more and more second-hand shops are closing down here. I find it so sad... frown

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission