Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2033075 - 02/14/13 02:33 PM Soundboard - replace or not
Jorge Andrade Offline

All,

Just want to get your opinions on Soundboard replacement, do it or not (as oppose to shimming - bleaching the existing)? Mine has 3 open cracks, one in the center along the grain, from one side to the other and it's split open where you can see the floor, another small one in the treble section and one final one in between the two. I got underneath the piano and it looks like the board still has crown as I'm able to fit my finger under the board in the middle of the piano but not on the sides, I can see the separation is greater in the middle so, for my restoration job, should I have the board replaced or shimmed? What are the results, change in tone? All over the internet I get both extremes so it's hard to form an opinion. Oh and this is for my Bosie 290 1967. LMK, thanks.

Edited by Jorge Andrade (02/14/13 02:54 PM)

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#2033079 - 02/14/13 02:44 PM Re: Soundboard - replace or not [Re: Jorge Andrade]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

You need to have your piano evaluated by a rebuilder, in person. Replacing the sound board would be much more expensive, so if an appropriate repair can be made without replacement, that would probably be ideal. However, some would make the argument that a Bosie 290 is valuable enough of an instrument to warrant automatic replacement.
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#2033089 - 02/14/13 03:06 PM Re: Soundboard - replace or not [Re: Jorge Andrade]
Jorge Andrade Offline

SORRY I did not express myself correctly, I'm trying to weigh in all my options as far as SHIMMING vs REPLACING the soundboard. Not whether I'm going to replace it or not, the issues will be taken care of one way or another but I'm really concerned with whether just shimming is good enough or if I change the board will the tone change dramatically, is it true that in Europe you're not legally allowed to put the manufacture's name on the piano if you replace the soundboard? Thanks.

#2033092 - 02/14/13 03:09 PM Re: Soundboard - replace or not [Re: beethoven986]
Jorge Andrade Offline

True, but I should be able to form an educated opinion prior to shipping the piano to another state only to find out I'll need U$10k in addition to current quote so hence I'm trying to find out more info about it. I'll be posting pictures soon so everyone has a better idea.

Edited by Jorge Andrade (02/14/13 03:11 PM)

#2033099 - 02/14/13 03:25 PM Re: Soundboard - replace or not [Re: Jorge Andrade]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Jorge Andrade
I'm really concerned with whether just shimming is good enough

It may or may not be. We'd need to see it and hear it.

or if I change the board will the tone change dramatically

It depends.

is it true that in Europe you're not legally allowed to put the manufacture's name on the piano if you replace the soundboard? Thanks.

No, people put non OEM parts in pianos all the time, same as with cars.... if I put a non OEM part on my Saab, it's still a Saab. That said, sound boards are replaced much less often in Europe.

#2033160 - 02/14/13 04:52 PM Re: Soundboard - replace or not [Re: beethoven986]
Jorge Andrade Offline

Originally Posted By: beethoven986
It may or may not be. We'd need to see it and hear it.

It depends.

Can you offer some examples or scenarios, possibly instances that you ran into, I appreciate your input but I'm not sure that it helps me clarify my question, maybe after I post some pictures you'll be able to have a better idea.

#2033176 - 02/14/13 05:10 PM Re: Soundboard - replace or not [Re: Jorge Andrade]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Jorge, you will get more valuable input from this list if you give more of a context.
Where are you located? (I suspect Europe?)
How long have you had the piano?
When did the cracks appear?

On such an instrument such as a 290, you want to make sure that if the soundboard is replaced, it is done by someone with good experience replacing boards, preferably on Bösendorfers. If no such workshop is available (which could easily be the case depending on where you are located) then it is a moot question of replacement vs shimming. You may want to return it to Bösendorfer if you choose to have the board replaced.

Many technicians feel that shimming is simply an aesthetic course of action, as the damage has been done to the whole soundboard, and the cracks are evidence of this. I have never seen a situation where shimming clearly resulted in an improvement of tone. Many times, a new crack appears right next to the shim after a few years.

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#2033181 - 02/14/13 05:16 PM Re: Soundboard - replace or not [Re: Supply]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Jurgen,

He has written about this before. The piano is in Arizona.

#2033205 - 02/14/13 05:55 PM Re: Soundboard - replace or not [Re: BDB]
Jorge Andrade Offline

I'm actually located in Nevada but might as well call it Arizona as the weather condition is very similar.

My first inquiry was on recommendation for restorers, this post is specific on replacing soundboard vs shimming, yes I'm going to have a professional restorer work on my piano but as an educated adult, I feel that I'll be able to make a better decision if I understand the process and the pros and cons better, I've spoken with numerous professionals across the country and each one seems to have the one area they value or concentrate the most, in certain instances they differ greatly so I'm left in the middle trying to determine what the best outcome would be, in the end, I'm the one investing anywhere from U$25k to U$35k for the job so I want to make sure I have all the proper information at hand.

#2033210 - 02/14/13 06:04 PM Re: Soundboard - replace or not [Re: Supply]
Jorge Andrade Offline

Originally Posted By: Supply
Jorge, you will get more valuable input from this list if you give more of a context.
Where are you located? (I suspect Europe?)
How long have you had the piano?
When did the cracks appear?

I live in Las Vegas - NV, the piano was located in Atlanta - GA. It went from a 80% RH to a 20% RH, I've had it since May of 2012. When the piano came to me, the largest crack was only a ridge, or stress mark on the board (probably caused by the high RH level in GA), it split open during the summer and then the other 2 appeared. Since I posted and you guys alerted me that I needed a better RH, I went out and bought a room humidifier that I have set at 40% (that particular room's natural RH is 25%), my end goal is around 50% but I'm raising the humidity slowly. I've taken the fallboard and music desk out and I keep the piano lid open for now so it can 'soak up' the humidity. Thanks.

#2033290 - 02/14/13 08:27 PM Re: Soundboard - replace or not [Re: Jorge Andrade]
David, Las Vegas Offline

Loc: Las Vegas, Nevada
Hi Jorge,
If it were my instrument and I knew the recent history (which I do) I would start with some cost effective measures. You said that your installing a full room humidifier. I would let the room acclimate to the higher humidity and, over 4 to 6 months, measure soundboard responses by measuring any effect on the crown, soundboard crack size, increased (or not) sustain etc. If findings are positive but minimal I would install the large Dampp Chaser system to enhance the local improvements. If no improvements are measured with humidity introduction than I would shim the soundboard. I have had mild but positive results improving crown in trouble areas by slightly wedging the s-board from the bottom which opens the crack slightly more, make the shim repair, let the glue dry and cure (2 days), remove the wedges and inspect for crown improvement. The Bosey has a thick panel so I'm not sure if results will be dramatic but worth a try. I normally would restring doing this procedure but moving the existing music wire out of the way is a budget option. At least with these methods 10's of thousands of dollars are kept in the bank until repair scenarios reveal their worth.
1931 Mason Hamlin AA

#2033300 - 02/14/13 08:45 PM Re: Soundboard - replace or not [Re: Jorge Andrade]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
David gives good advice. There are tons of inexpensive things that you can try that might make more difference than an expensive repair, and none of them would prevent you from doing the expensive repair if they do not work out.

#2033308 - 02/14/13 08:54 PM Re: Soundboard - replace or not [Re: Jorge Andrade]
Monaco Offline

Loc: GA
Steinway did an experiment where they created gaps in a soundboard and found that it did not affect the sound. Shimming the soundboard is therefore a cosmetic measure and has no effect on the performance of the piano.
David says he can slightly improve the crown, but your piano already has crown. I wouldn't worry about it until it's time to restring. In which case, shimming is not that big a deal. Just be sure to dry the board out thoroughly before shimming.

#2033311 - 02/14/13 09:00 PM Re: Soundboard - replace or not [Re: BDB]
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
I believe you are unhappy with how the tone has changed since the move to NV-if I remember your earlier post correctly.

Do not worry abou rapidly increasing the humidity to the 45% level. The piano will react in three days.

Has the tone improved with the increase in humidity?

#2033319 - 02/14/13 09:07 PM Re: Soundboard - replace or not [Re: Jorge Andrade]
adak Offline

Loc: Canada
Should have gotten a digital. No tuning or maintenance or repairs needed. I know I never need to buy an acoustic. digitals just keep on getting better and better.

And don't they make pianos with carbon fiber soundboards nowadays?

#2033320 - 02/14/13 09:08 PM Re: Soundboard - replace or not [Re: Jorge Andrade]
BoseEric Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Fairfield County, CT
If you have the soundboard replaced by anyone other than the factory, you will probably have a very nice, very large piano but you won't really have a Bosendorfer any more. If having a true Bosendorfer is important to you, I would explore every possibility to keep the current board (and bridges). If that is not reasonable, then consider replacement by the factory. Boy, that will be unbelievably expensive but you will still have a true Bosendorfer.

#2033328 - 02/14/13 09:15 PM Re: Soundboard - replace or not [Re: BoseEric]
adak Offline

Originally Posted By: BoseEric
If you have the soundboard replaced by anyone other than the factory, you will probably have a very nice, very large piano but you won't really have a Bosendorfer any more. If having a true Bosendorfer is important to you, I would explore every possibility to keep the current board (and bridges). If that is not reasonable, then consider replacement by the factory. Boy, that will be unbelievably expensive but you will still have a true Bosendorfer.

Just imagine trying to sell the piano later, about the soundboard: do you tell the truth or lie?

Edited by adak (02/14/13 09:16 PM)

#2033343 - 02/14/13 09:29 PM Re: Soundboard - replace or not [Re: adak]
Ed Foote Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Tennessee
Originally Posted By: adak
Should have gotten a digital. No tuning or maintenance or repairs needed. I know I never need to buy an acoustic. digitals just keep on getting better and better.

Greetings,
A digital is not a piano.

#2033348 - 02/14/13 09:33 PM Re: Soundboard - replace or not [Re: Ed Foote]
adak Offline

Originally Posted By: Ed Foote

Greetings,

Don't let your emotions blind you from the truth.

Did you also say the same thing about digital cameras 10 years ago?

Edited by adak (02/14/13 09:35 PM)

#2033415 - 02/14/13 10:21 PM Re: Soundboard - replace or not [Re: Ed McMorrow, RPT]
David, Las Vegas Offline

Loc: Las Vegas, Nevada
Originally Posted By: Ed McMorrow, RPT
I believe you are unhappy with how the tone has changed since the move to NV-if I remember your earlier post correctly.

Do not worry abou rapidly increasing the humidity to the 45% level. The piano will react in three days.

I have a client that brought her Kawai console to Las Vegas from Hawaii. She went through several tech's complaining that the tone got worse with each tuner. From full and rich to weak and thin. I explained that the felt hammers are also affected by the arid environment. I did some light hammer filing, shallow voicing on the near crown and gently steamed the shoulders on the hammers. She was delighted with the results and I advised her that touch up hammer voicing might be needed yearly to maintain the tone to her liking. Perhaps Jorge's Bosey hammers would benefit from this if they haven't been over filed. Again, if it was mine and I was looking at $$$$ in repairs a refurbish of parts that would benefit from repair services and might give us pause for thought and make a better judgment when the time comes for factory repairs.
1931 Mason Hamlin AA

#2033429 - 02/14/13 10:49 PM Re: Soundboard - replace or not [Re: adak]
David Jenson Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine

Greetings,

Hmmmm, What would a digital be called during a power failure? 'Funny looking table? Boat anchor?
-----

#2033436 - 02/14/13 11:03 PM Re: Soundboard - replace or not [Re: Jorge Andrade]
David Jenson Offline
2000 Post Club Member

One subjective consideration would be the sound you have now. If the piano has punch, clarity, and sustain as it is now, it might not be so bad to keep the original sound board. It'll certainly be less expensive.
-----

#2033442 - 02/14/13 11:15 PM Re: Soundboard - replace or not [Re: David Jenson]
adak Offline

Originally Posted By: David Jenson

Greetings,

Hmmmm, What would a digital be called during a power failure? 'Funny looking table? Boat anchor?

If you are trying to be snarky I will let you know you can buy something called a UPS. They will run you about $50 and when the power goes out you can still play your piano all you want.

Edited by adak (02/14/13 11:16 PM)

#2033443 - 02/14/13 11:16 PM Re: Soundboard - replace or not [Re: adak]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: David Jenson

Greetings,

If you are trying to be snarky I will let you know you can buy something called a UPS. They will run you about $30 and when they power goes out you can still play your piano all you want.

You're the one who is suggesting that a digital piano can compete with a Boesendorfer Imperial..... confused

#2033444 - 02/14/13 11:17 PM Re: Soundboard - replace or not [Re: BoseEric]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

You're joking, right?

#2033446 - 02/14/13 11:19 PM Re: Soundboard - replace or not [Re: adak]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada

Greetings,

I think you are on the wrong forum.

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#2033605 - 02/15/13 09:05 AM Re: Soundboard - replace or not [Re: Supply]
David Jenson Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Supply

Greetings,

I think you are on the wrong forum.
My thoughts exactly. Someone who's contemplating repairs of this magnitude will certainly not have any interest in switching to a digital approximation of a real piano.

This was a tread hijacking, and it wasn't nearly as sidesplittingly funny as my digressions are! laugh
-----

#2033626 - 02/15/13 09:59 AM Re: Soundboard - replace or not [Re: Jorge Andrade]
Larry Buck Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lowell MA

You're joking, right?

A Bosendorfer Sound Board is not the same as most of the others for several reasons.

Unless a rebuilder is specifically familiar with this installation, I might tend to agree with Eric.

E. J. Buck & Sons
Lowell MA 01852
978 458 8688
www.ejbuckpiano.com
facebook.com/E. J. Buck & Sons Performances

#2033674 - 02/15/13 11:28 AM Re: Soundboard - replace or not [Re: Jorge Andrade]
Emmery Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Niagara Region, On. Canada
A digital piano is not the same as an acoustic for the person playing it and for the small nuances of control on tone. But sampled sounds on the better DP's are virtually exact "recordings" of acoustics, a single note or chord cannot be distinguished between the two on a blind test....period.

(David Jensen)..."Hmmmm, What would a digital be called during a power failure? 'Funny looking table? Boat anchor?"

Mine would be called a digital piano... it has batteries in it.

On the other hand, what would your 700 lb piano be called if you wanted to haul it out a couple hundred yards into the woods for a music foray with freinds? It would be called a hernia.

Edited by Emmery (02/15/13 11:33 AM)

#2033692 - 02/15/13 12:12 PM Re: Soundboard - replace or not [Re: Ed McMorrow, RPT]
Jorge Andrade Offline

Originally Posted By: Ed McMorrow, RPT

You're correct Ed, the tone has changed dramatically since I first got the piano in May of last year. I placed a large humidifier a week ago in the piano room (large living room - 20 x 16 sq ft) and I've noticed the tone has improved a little bit, it sounds to me like the sustain has gotten better and the sound has gotten more polished, the differences are small but I can hear them, the touch is the same, except the keys are now a bit "claky", on my next service I'll have David regulate the action, it might have gotten off a bit.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Studio monitors for a digital piano
by diegopefm
09/19/14 05:18 AM
Has anyone tried out wireless USB hubs for software pianos?
by Allan W.
09/19/14 02:34 AM
What books do you use for teaching beginners?
by Daffodil
09/19/14 12:54 AM
Help buying digital piano for my son
by roomservicetaco
09/18/14 11:54 PM
Headphone impedance for DP90se
by lunobili
09/18/14 10:29 PM
Who's Online
65 registered (bennevis, Abby Pianoman, 36251, BearLake, 18 invisible), 801 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76250 Members
42 Forums
157619 Topics
2315169 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission