Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2033890 - 02/15/13 06:23 PM i tried a kawai ca-95
Carlos-CR Offline

Loc: Madrid, Spain
But i played some acoustics too and i think that if i'm going to buy something its going to be an acoustic.

Soundwise, every acoustic i tried is more enjoyable than the kawai ca-95. I played some k3, a k5, an out of tune k8, a 70's u3 and a new one.

The acoustic uprights actions are very different to what i'm used (cvp 305). To my hands they seem heavier and imprecise and I found almost impossible to play pianissimo and the dynamic range seems to be in the louder side.

The grands actions are more similar to the ca-95, which imho is the easiest to play to the point that i will suggest that the next hybrid should have a digital action and conventional strings smile

The worst part in the ca95 was the bass, too resonant and artificial. That was very unexpected and I think my cvp305 sounds better.

I've yet to try an avantgrand, but I don't have great hopes after having played the acoustics.

I'm a little overloaded and need time to process all the information.

Carlos

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#2033958 - 02/15/13 09:05 PM Re: i tried a kawai ca-95 [Re: Carlos-CR]
Miguel Rey Offline

do you prefer upright or grand action? You can always play with the sounds either with adding sub woofers, positioning of the DP, room treatments (hardwood flooring instead of carpet) and VST's if your talking about onboard sounds. For me is how the DP performs and feels.

Heres a quote from Kawai

"Great sound means nothing without control"

Edited by Miguel Rey (02/15/13 09:08 PM)

#2034081 - 02/16/13 03:03 AM Re: i tried a kawai ca-95 [Re: Carlos-CR]
Carlos-CR Offline

Loc: Madrid, Spain
No, I don't prefer the upright action. My preferences are digital, then grand and lastly uprights.

But I'm starting to see the action as a mean to an end so the above stated preferences doesn't have much sense in their own.

After a night's sleep my main conclusions are:

- ca-95 sound it's not as good as i thought it would be. I don't even see it as a worthy upgrade from my cvp-305 which have really good amplification and speakers. Action was much better, of course, and more similar to a grand than my cvp, but since playing the AC uprights and knowing i will probably never have a grand I don't value it as much as before.

- upright actions is the price you have to pay if you want the real sound. Take this comment with a grain of salt as I don't have much experience with acoustics and found them hard to control. Maybe people used to uprights have the opposite opinion. But what I see clearly now is that the sound is the important part of the equation and only having a great action without the sound doesn't have much sense.

- grands are easier to control and play than uprights , but they are very big and expensive (second hand quotes started at 12000 eur) and the difference in sound from uprights is smaller than from digitals to uprights. For me its just a hobby and I don't feel comfortable paying so much.

Carlos

Edited by Carlos-CR (02/16/13 03:04 AM)

#2034088 - 02/16/13 03:19 AM Re: i tried a kawai ca-95 [Re: Miguel Rey]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
Originally Posted By: Miguel Rey
Heres a quote from Kawai

Here's a quote from me:

"Control means nothing if you can't translate it into sound."

#2034098 - 02/16/13 04:00 AM Re: i tried a kawai ca-95 [Re: Miguel Rey]
slipperykeys Offline

Loc: Dorset, England
Originally Posted By: Miguel Rey

Heres a quote from Kawai

Here's an earlier quote from Audi,

"Power is nothing without control."

I am waiting for a meat company to produce the slogan,

"Beef is nothing without horse".

From this, it is a great piano! Almost tempted myself...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP5Sas6l0rY

You can clearly see at 6:14, that the keys do not appear to be parallel, which is a surprise, Fantasie Impromptu is a great piece of music to demonstrate a keybord with.

Edited by slipperykeys (02/16/13 04:05 AM)

#2034109 - 02/16/13 04:48 AM Re: i tried a kawai ca-95 [Re: Carlos-CR]
Clayman Offline

Loc: Prague, Czech Rep.
I have yet to hear the CA-95 live but I see where you're coming from. I hear people used to playing AP's say all the time that the sound of an AP has more personality and that the sound of a DP is sort of too clean and "pure beyond belief". I really have to try to get a chance to hear the CA-95 before making the investment but the demos I've heard so far sounded rather good to me.

Learning to play the piano since 06/2013 on a Kawai CA-95.

Music is what feelings sound like. ~ Author Unknown

#2034129 - 02/16/13 06:58 AM Re: i tried a kawai ca-95 [Re: Carlos-CR]
enzo.sandrolini Offline

Loc: Europe - France
Hello Carlos
I previously owned a CA93 and now I have a NU1 for one reason: the action.
You are right, the upright action is harder to control than a DP action, but when you start to get use of it, it gives far most pleasure than and DP action

Now for the sound, I aslo thing that there is nothing better than an acoustic, I can hear the difference when I take my lessons on a real upright piano.

by the way, I also trade in my DP for the NU1 in order to not feel lost when I go for my piano lessons, otherwise, the difference between a DP and the real upright would have been really disturbing (IMHO DP have "too much easy" action which are not "real"..)
If you can, go for a real upright, we will soon appreciate its action (when you will get used of it)

#2034135 - 02/16/13 07:27 AM Re: i tried a kawai ca-95 [Re: Carlos-CR]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
On the Late Sterters Forum they have a recital going on. I made a list of all the APs and DPs discerned by listening for a bit of a laugh. As ya do.

I got it very badly wrong. I had a Steinway down as a Digital (it was in tune, that`s why) and vice vresa for many Digitals. The Yamaha P140 sounded great.

""

#2034148 - 02/16/13 08:06 AM Re: i tried a kawai ca-95 [Re: Carlos-CR]
oivavoi Offline

Loc: Norway
Carlos, if you are in the buyer's market I would really consider trying out the avantgrands before you make up your mind. Especially the N2, IMO, is a wonderful instrument, but then again very pricey (I've just made a decision to buy one and have started to save up. In other words: no new smart phones for me in a while!). The N1 and the N2 both have grand actions. The NU1 with the upright action is also a very nice instrument (personally, however, I miss that grand action too much to consider buying one).

But if you live in a house/apartment where noise/buggy neighbors etc is not an issue, and you can practice freely on an acoustic without disturbing people, then a good acoustic is the way to go. Sound-wise, even the avantgrands can't compete at the moment (though the action and general "feel" on the N2 is superior to most entry- to midlevel uprights, I would say). If price AND space is not an issue, then obviously go for a real grand...:) But to most of us, limitations concerning finances/space/neighbors/girlfriends/(fill out whatever you like)/etc makes a DP or a hybrid a good compromise. To me, a DP/hybrid also gives me the opportunity to play around with electronic music and record stuff to my computer more easily. But that is not an issue for people who just want to play and practice on the piano without any hassle.

Concerning the action, as enzo.sandrolini says, I think it's really a question about what you are used to. If you have learned to play mainly on a digital then I can understand that an upright action feels too hard in the beginning. And the action on many of the good DPs today will easily beat the action on a bad and worn upright. However, if you get used to playing on a good upright or a grand, then I'm a 100% sure you will discover that it gives you more musical possibilities and makes for more interaction with the instrument - it is just better.

Anyway, good luck!

#2034189 - 02/16/13 10:03 AM Re: i tried a kawai ca-95 [Re: Carlos-CR]
Miguel Rey Offline

I think it's fair to say one can & should only compare DP to DP and AP to AP when talking about the sound. Ant that quote from kawai was in reference to their DP's only. There is no substitute for a good AP , upright or grand if you ask me if I had 15-20K USD I would go that route in the first place.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
U.S. Treasury Auctioning Steinway Art Case Concert Grand
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
113 registered (accordeur, Alex1, AndresD, 31 invisible), 1510 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75487 Members
42 Forums
156076 Topics
2291949 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Join the false-beat revolution: get your wires straight!!!
by A443
29 minutes 19 seconds ago
What brand of solid string to use?
by Grandpianoman
Today at 10:38 PM
"Rhodes" sound -- variation with volume?
by Charles Cohen
Today at 08:59 PM
That last 10%
by gooddog
Today at 08:24 PM
Hamelin Review from the Mannes Keyboard program in NYC
by Serge Marinkovic
Today at 08:03 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission