2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (APianistHasNoName, Bruce Sato, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 1,871 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Last Batch! Congratulations to all the participants, and a big thank you to Monica and all the others that make this possible. It is a great asset!

49. GrouchoMarx - Prelude Op. 32 No. 12 Impressive performance! This looks and sounds quite technically difficult, and you made it seem effortless. I like your interpretation with restrained power. Very nice!

50. BillM - Georgia On My Mind I love your vocals and accompaniment. You nailed this one. Nice, soulful presentation. You have a great voice and I love your full, rich accompaniments.

51. Pavel.K - Nocturne 21 in C minor posth. This a wonderful performance for just a year of study. You have a nice balance between right and left hands. The melody sings very nicely. Great job.

52. Allard - To Zanarkand This is a very dramatic piece, full of heart. You played it very well, especially considering only 15 months experience. Nicely done.

53. MileHi Steve - Stagg Brew The electric piano sound brings out the characteristics of a Harp, so I think it works well for this piece. You have created a very rich arrangement that fits the pieces well. Beatiful music!

54. aTallGuyNH - Just The Way You Are It sounds like you ended up with a very nice arrangement! Very well played. You have learned a lot in 11 months. You are on your way to great jazz!

55. Aimee O - Sonatina in G The clarity of Beethoven’s sonatinas make them deceptively difficult. You did a very nice job with this. There is a good balance between right and left hand. I especially like the second movement. You gave it a nice dancelike feeling.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I just listened to ten or so pieces in this recital and I must say I was impressed and humbled at the display of talent/accomplishment. All the selections I listened to were good but I'd hardly describe many of you beginners!!! I can't wait to hear the rest of them tonight. Good job everyone.

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
G
G
01. Mr Super-Hunky - A Star Named Apple/ New Beginning Nice improve. Like the flow of the piece. Could have had a bit more dynamic range. The piano sound wasn't the greatest, is that an older Roland that you played on?

02. Inlanding - Glen - Elegie This sounds very familiar, even though I've never heard of Jules Massenet. The left and right hand are nicely balanced, and you bring out the melody well.

03. dannylux / Mel - Czerny Romance in E Op.755 Nice short piece that keeps the listeners interest. Overall well played though I myself would play the left hand more softly.

04. Plowboy - Prelude in E Minor Op. 28, No. 4 I love Chopin and this is a really nice prelude. I think you played this really well. I personally like a faster tempo but that's just preference. Nothing wrong with your dynamics. Only problem with your performance is the late middle part (forte) where the otherwise consistent tempo is disrupted. Try playing it at same tempo as rest of the piece and you'll have a nicely interpreted piece at your disposal.

05. slpianoproject - Nocturne in C# minor Op.27 no.1 More Chopin, I like. I think you played this really well, considering the difficulty of the piece. Left and right hand is nicely balanced, though at some parts the right hand could be a tiny bit louder... but that's trivial all things considered. There could be more dynamic contrast in the middle section (from p to fff, If I see fff I try to destroy the keys ;D). Non the less, you can be very proud of your performance, congrats.

06. CarlosCC - Julia I've played some Einaudi music myself but never hear this one, so thanks for introducing this well-performed piece to me. I like your dynamics and pace. Like many of Einaudis pieces this one is also quite repetitive, which is why I often shorten his pieces. But I take it that you play as the sheet music dictates so can't take anything away from your performance because of personal opinions.

07. Diana (sinophilia) - Frankie & Johnnie + Space Shuttle Blues Well played for under one year experience. Keep up the good work.

08. wouter79 - Allegro non troppo in c minor, op.38 no.2 I could probably learn a great deal from you about pedaling, something I over use. "Unpedalled" music often sounds dry and harsh to my ears, but not in your case, so you must be doing something right in that department. Needless to say everything is really clear and clean because of your choice to not use the pedal.
You are probably right, the left hand could be a tiny bit softer, but otherwise you balanced the two hands well. In addition I like your dynamics. All in all really well played my good sir.

09. SwissMS - Little Prelude in D Major BWV 936 I've never been a big fan of Bach, and have never learned a single piece written by him. Might tackle parts of the Goldberg variations when I'm older though. My lack of understanding/appreciation of Bach makes my comments on his music somewhat irrelevant but regardless I don't see any obvious faults with your playing.
You keep a super steady tempo, which I take is the proper way of playing Bach? Are there any dynamic variations within the piece or is it mp all the way? Is this piece a pure technical exercise? What am I rambling on about? No need to answer those questions just wanted to showcase my ignorance when it come to Bach.

10. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Sneakin' Round Very enjoyable piece in equal measure from great performance and good source material. The piece flows nicely. You could probably try to add more dynamics but in addition to that the only other problem is the duration of the piece, it's way too short =).

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception. "
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Got through `em all now. I`m not able to respond to all postings but I thank those who have; Its very encouraging.

There are a vast array of talents and piano sounds here! I`ve been impressed and very surprised. Digitals and Acoustics, not DPs v APs! We`re all in it together (WHO said that?) and it`s obvious to me that I can`t easily spot the difference even if you lot can!

This had made me consider Chopin`s nocturnes, Debussy and Haydn as essentials in my collection.

I might have to get a new piano . . . .Might be a Roland!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
G
G
Saranoya Thanks for your feedback. And you're probably right about my too harsh self criticism, it's just that I know that with a bit more effort and discipline I could do a better job(I realize that sounds stupid, 'cause that's true with just about everything). Also, one shouldn't let the progress of others affect(or effect? never learned the difference) ones own motivation of playing, quite the contrary it should motivate you further.

floydthebarber71 thanks - you are right one, of the harder parts is balancing the sound, you have to relax the right hand while maintaining fast tempo to get a softer sound.

SwissMS Appreciate the positive feedback. I commented on your performance as well. Hopefully you're not offended by my blunt comments. Your playing is very good but I just don't understand the music.

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception. "
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
26 Sand Tiger - Shadow Bach like with the left hand counterpoint to the right. I'm a Bach fan smile

20 Serge 88 - Fly Me to the Moon Terrific. The styling was just right, and the garage-band mix tasteful and perfect. Bravo.

09 SwissMs - Little Prelude I could have been in a cathedral. Wonderful.

07 Diana (sinophilia) - Frankie and Johnnie/Space Shuttle Blues You and casinitaly are the epitome of cool. I love it.

05. slpianoproject - Nocturne Great drama.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
16. Riddler - Reflections in D Thanks. I needed that.

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
51. Pavel K. - NocturneTruly lovely.

47. Pianostudent88 - No Walk Today Very calming.

30. Peterws - Regrets Also lovely.

27. Philz Piano - Prelude Ah, Bach smile

13. Peyton - After All I love the left hand here.

04. Plowboy - Prelude Very nice.

Cathy

Cathy
A

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
A
Great stuff everybody.. I'll try to finish listening in the next couple of days but here's what I got to so far:

01. Mr Super-Hunky - A Star Named Apple/ New Beginning
What a beautiful tribute! I’m sure Apple would agree. I especially love the New Beginning part. Great job.

02. Inlanding - Glen - Elegie This is one of those pieces that I’ve heard but didn’t know what it was. I love your rendition, and great job with the dynamics.

03. dannylux / Mel - Czerny Romance in E Op.755 That is gorgeous! It reminds me of a Disney song. Well played!

04. Plowboy - Prelude in E Minor Op. 28, No. 4 I never get tired of hearing this piece. I think you better than you give yourself credit for, because that piece can be hard to control. Good job emoting, too.

05. slpianoproject - Nocturne in C# minor Op.27 no.1 That tone is awesome! Wonderful performance.

06. CarlosCC - Julia Doesn’t it feel great when you set out to play something and you think it’s going to be a bear and it turns out not to be? Beautiful playing. I understand what your wife means by it feeling like home.

07. Diana (sinophilia) - Frankie & Johnnie + Space Shuttle Blues Frankie and Johnnie is so much fun! I enjoyed it a lot! Not familiar with Space Shuttle Blues, but I like it too. You’re progressing well!

08. wouter79 - Allegro non troppo in c minor, op.38 no.2 It sounds great without the pedal(this means you didn’t have to cheat hehehe). This seems like it would be difficult to pull off, but you did so convincingly. I like it.

09. SwissMS - Little Prelude in D Major BWV 936 Wow, what a comeback from November! Great job voicing. I’m always jealous of the Bach players, because I want to play him too but his trills make me very afraid. Well done!

10. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Sneakin' Round It’s so catchy and fun! You’re becoming quite the musician!

11. Andy Platt - Invention No 4 in D Minor Andy, those trills sound tough. Another Bach player for me to be jealous of!

12. Amaruk - The Christmas song from 'An Elf's Story: The Elf on the Shelf' Wow, great job putting that together. Well done.

13. Peyton - After All Amazing piece. You’re a talented composer.

14. joangolfing - Grieg Waltz Op.12 That’s a neat little waltz – never heard it before. Nicely played.

15. Greener / Jeff Green - Moments Musicaux - A flat major; Opus 94 No. 6 I adore that piece! It almost sounds like there are other instruments playing with you.

And I had to skip ahead to this one:
38. FarmGirl - Brahms 118 #2 Well, I suppose I should start shooting whiskey and chasing it with wine. Then I'll go hang out with sick people. Maybe I’ll play half as well as you. I thought you did an excellent job!

A

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
A
Allard: Sorry about the loudness! This was my first recital entry so I'm still figuring it out. I might have flipped on of the Zoom's switches on accident too, because at one point thought I flipped a switch to turn it off, and I didn't.

Saranoya: Thanks! Actually, I read several places that it may not even be Beethoven at all. It was published after his death, and some think that his name was put on it to sell copies. So maybe it is too cutesy to be Beethoven!

SwissMiss: Thank you!!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
15. Greener / Jeff Green - Moments Musicaux - A flat major; Opus 94 No. 6
Good job on this – your rendition is stately and elegant. The recording has a full sound, almost like it was recorded in an echo chamber.

16. Riddler (Ed) - Reflections in D
I’m not familiar with the Duke’s version of this so can’t make a comparison, but yours is just outstanding. I love the mood you have created with this – quiet, contemplative and introspective. Not only is your playing up to your usual high standard but the recording is professional quality. Super

19. Jake S - Fur Elise
One year??? Really?? You have major talent. This is a lovely piece of work. You have such a wonderful natural touch and your phrasing is just right. I am deeply impressed.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
25. Jazztpt (Russ) - Another Song + Maya
This is fine submission. I always enjoy your work. You have such a smooth playing style and your recording is crystal clear. Love the sound of your piano – it complements your talent nicely. Of the two I think I prefer Another Song but actually like them both very much.

28. Daren - Quanta Qualia
You are right – this is a very nice piano piece and you play it with confidence and style. A lovely recording – love the powerful right hand.

30. Peterws - Regrets. I have a Few . .
Outstanding production. Not only is this a fine composition but I’m blown away by the quality of the audio production. Clearly you have spent some time bringing this to completion. The waves at the end are a nice finishing touch.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
31. MaryBee - Waltz in C# minor, Op.64 No.2
I enjoyed your playing as much as your heart-warming story. This is a fine accomplishment.

32. BenPiano - All of These Things For You
This was fun! I just wished the vocal was a little louder. I’m sure you got major points for this.

33. Ganddalf - Sonata A-flat major (Hob XVI - 46) first movement
You are certainly an accomplished pianist. Your trills and runs are beautifully executed and precise. I love the sound of your piano and the overall “crispness” of this recording.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Thank you for your encouraging comments on my submission! Thank you to all who work to put this e-cital together each quarter and to everyone who submitted their fine music. I look forward to listening to more of it.

01. Mr Super-Hunky - A Star Named Apple/ New Beginning A fantastic song with wonderful twists and turns. What makes this one even more special is the fact you dedicated it to a PW friend. Great work, MSH!

02. Inlanding - Glen - Elegie Nice going with the melody, so much so that you added another measure just to make sure. Keep this one in your repertoire and keep thinking of the subtleties.

03. dannylux / Mel - Czerny Romance in E Op.755 Nicely played, indeed. I'd never taken the time to listen to any Czerny pieces, but instead did practice in the past using Czerny exercises. Great mood and dynamics you bring to the fore. Beautifully done.

04. Plowboy - Prelude in E Minor Op. 28, No. 4 Very interesting you utilized the chords in the left hand in somewhat a march style. Good work on this. It's a keeper and under your fingers it will mature over time quite nicely.

05. slpianoproject - Nocturne in C# minor Op.27 no.1 What a fine interpretation! You kept my attention the entire time and expressed fine variance to the theme throughout. Good work!

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
35. Richard (zrtf90) - Notturno Op. 54 No. 4
Very well played. Your performance and your Kawai sound fantastic – the middle registers sound particularly strong. Excellent trilling at the end.

37. Ken. - Let's Cool One
This is a cool one. Short but nice.

38. FarmGirl - Brahms 118 #2
The whiskey seems to have worked – a fine performance.

40. Jazzwee - Stella by Starlight
Now this is a toe-tapper! I always like hearing your latest opus and this is a real treat. You play with a cool, laidback hipness that is very easy on the ears. If I could play like this I’d quit my day job (if I had a job).

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

16. Riddler (Ed) - Reflections in D: Those are some very cool chord changes!! And I love your flourishes and runs. Just the song I needed to hear after a long, frazzled day.

17. Monica K. - Just Because I Love You You had to hesitate on that super-easy measure right near the end of the piece, didn’t you?! mad

18. ladypayne - Improv in G minor: This has a lovely, slightly sad Slavic flavor. This may be my favorite of your compositions to date.

19. Jake S - Fur Elise: This song became a cliche because it was so appealing through the years, and your rendition is no exception. And you played the complicated middle part to boot quite expertly. smile

20. Serge88 - Fly Me To The Moon: I used to play this on accordion, so it has a soft spot in my heart. You could be a cocktail pianist in any swanky hotel. smile

21. Teodor - Donnie Darko - The Artifact and the Living: Good job on a brooding piece that captures well the darkness of the movie. And even though it’s “not complicated,” it’s still hard to keep that bass rhythm even and steady, and you do so commendably.

22. (Was)TrueBeginner - Us: This is such a pretty, almost plaintive, melody. Very impressive! And the video quality from your Flip camera was terrific.

23. MusicaMusique - Keresem Az Utam: I was confused at first, when I hit the “video link” and got the original song, but it helped when I listened to your cover of it. grin I think I prefer your solo piano version of it, actually. Very catchy melody, well played.

24. MrPozor - Un poco adagio: Very nicely played! I wasn’t familiar with this piece, but it has a nice Baroque air. And I was very impressed by your video; the camera angle seemed perfect. How did you set that up?

25. Jazztpt (Russ) - Another Song + Maya: Wonderfully smooth and dreamy to begin with, and then smooth and lilting. Love that baby photo! smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
41. Saranoya - Menuett in F
I admire your perseverance and pluck in getting this recorded and submitted. The background noise gave it a real authentic recital feel. Well done!

42. windywindy - Waltz in A Minor KK IVb/11
What an interesting description of this piece. You have obviously given the structure a lot of thought. Your playing is equally expressive. A very fine and confident performance. The abrupt ending caught me a little off guard.

43. lyricmudra - Melodie from the Opera 'Orfeo'
You are a fine pianist. What a masterful performance. An appropriately high quality video to accompany your fine submission.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
44. Sam S - Arabeske Op. 18
This is a real accomplishment. I can’t imagine being able to play a 10+ minute piece of this complexity. You Da Man!

46. Kenjazz - My Romance
What a fine performance! I’m a big James Taylor fan (I almost did one of his songs for this recital) but never heard him do this. After hearing your excellent rendition I’ll have to look it up. An absolutely beautiful melody played with your patented style and charm.

49. GrouchoMarx - Prelude Op. 32 No. 12
Bravo! This is very well done. I enjoyed watching your video as much as listening to your masterful performance – your hands seem to float over the keyboard. Wow!

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
55. Aimee O - Sonatina in G - Yes - a piece I'm familiar with! smile I couldn't help but hum along as you played. I'm glad you made it in under the wire and could share with this with us. This is relatively "easy" but terribly difficult to pull off both movements in a single take because it's so long. I never could and had to record each separately. Bravo, well done, and on to the next project! smile

47. PianoStudent88 - No Walk Today - Well done, you nailed this one! I hear a lot about Khachaturian but have never tried a piece - perhaps next recital? smile

43. lyricmudra - Melodie from the Opera 'Orfeo' - um, it's hard for me to comment, or offer anything of importance, on something so beautifully played like this. This sort of thing is in the realm where I take a step back, shake my head up and down for yes, and just shut up and listen. wow.

Last edited by BenPiano; 02/17/13 02:47 AM.

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by GrouchoMarx

[b]SwissMS
Appreciate the positive feedback. I commented on your performance as well. Hopefully you're not offended by my blunt comments. Your playing is very good but I just don't understand the music.

No offense taken! People are either into Bach or they are not. This was written as a teaching piece and the steady rhythm is expected, as it is in much of Bach's work. The dynamics vary in each voice as they take the lead and rescind, but the overall piece is pretty steady. Think 17th century church choir. At least that is my interpretation. smile

Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission