Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
135 registered (Anita Potter, AnimistFvR, anamnesis, accordeur, Alan Cyr, acoxcae, 36 invisible), 1686 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2033105 - 02/14/13 03:35 PM Major Solo Work Ideas
hsheck Offline

Hey! I'm currently preparing for college auditions and I'm having a difficult time finding the right "major work" that is required. It must be at least 10 minutes long. Any suggestions? (Please no Chopin. I'm already required to learn two of his pieces. )

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2033107 - 02/14/13 03:38 PM Re: Major Solo Work Ideas [Re: hsheck]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
What are the audition requirements?

#2033114 - 02/14/13 03:58 PM Re: Major Solo Work Ideas [Re: JoelW]
hsheck Offline

1. A piece by Bach
2. Beethoven or Mozart sonata.
3. One fast and one slow piece by Chopin.
4. A major work at least ten minutes long.

I have the first 3 requirements chosen. Just need the 4th.

Edited by hsheck (02/14/13 03:59 PM)

#2033120 - 02/14/13 04:06 PM Re: Major Solo Work Ideas [Re: hsheck]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
An estimate for your level would be helpful.
Perhaps a Scriabin sonata? 2, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 10 are all about 10-12 minutes.

#2033132 - 02/14/13 04:23 PM Re: Major Solo Work Ideas [Re: hsheck]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
To be honest, I don't understand how someone planning to audition for Curtis, one of the most prestigious music schools in the world, can seemingly be unfamiliar with piano literature.

In the days before YouTube and IMSLP when one had to purchase everything or take it out of the library I could understand this, but not in today's world. If one is serious enough and love's music enough to want to make it your career, I'd think you would have listened to more music by this time.

#2033137 - 02/14/13 04:28 PM Re: Major Solo Work Ideas [Re: hsheck]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

What are you playing for the first three?

#2033149 - 02/14/13 04:45 PM Re: Major Solo Work Ideas [Re: pianoloverus]
hsheck Offline

I believe you have miss interpreted the meaning of my question. My knowledge and understanding of repertoire is quite advanced and I am fully aware of the difficulty required to be admitted to Curtis. The problem I am having is choosing the best piece for ME. There is quite a vast collection of 10 min compositions to choose from.

Here is my program so far-

1. J.S. Bach WTC D Major Prelude and Fugue
2. Beethoven Sonata Op. 27 No. 1
3. Slow Chopin: Mazurka in C sharp minor Fast Chopin: Etude in C sharp minor
4. My teacher recommended Chopin's Fantasy in F Minor but I feel this may be too much Chopin. Thoughts?

#2033154 - 02/14/13 04:48 PM Re: Major Solo Work Ideas [Re: hsheck]
trigalg693 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Are you looking for something harder than the rest of the stuff on your list or the same level?

#2033155 - 02/14/13 04:48 PM Re: Major Solo Work Ideas [Re: hsheck]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Yes that's definitely too much Chopin. I would hope you'd want to show to them that your interests are broader than that.

#2033162 - 02/14/13 04:54 PM Re: Major Solo Work Ideas [Re: debrucey]
hsheck Offline

Haha exactly my thought. Possibly Liszt's Mephisto Waltz? Maybe a contemporary piece such as a Prokofiev Sonata? smile

#2033177 - 02/14/13 05:11 PM Re: Major Solo Work Ideas [Re: hsheck]

Originally Posted By: hsheck
I believe you have miss interpreted the meaning of my question. My knowledge and understanding of repertoire is quite advanced and I am fully aware of the difficulty required to be admitted to Curtis. The problem I am having is choosing the best piece for ME. There is quite a vast collection of 10 min compositions to choose from.

Here is my program so far-

1. J.S. Bach WTC D Major Prelude and Fugue
2. Beethoven Sonata Op. 27 No. 1
3. Slow Chopin: Mazurka in C sharp minor Fast Chopin: Etude in C sharp minor
4. My teacher recommended Chopin's Fantasy in F Minor but I feel this may be too much Chopin. Thoughts?
I'm glad to hear you're familiar with the piano repertoire.

As far as what piece would be best for you, aren't you and your teacher far more familiar with your playing, your strengths and weaknesses, your personal likes and dislikes, etc. then PW members?(Actually all 50,000 members put together)If you don't want to play the Chopin Fantasy, I'd ask your teacher for other suggestions or ask him which of the compositions you're familiar with would be good choices.

For starters you should really love the pieces you're playing and you would know that better than anyone else.

Edited by pianoloverus (02/14/13 05:13 PM)

#2033183 - 02/14/13 05:20 PM Re: Major Solo Work Ideas [Re: hsheck]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

I suggest something in a completely different style to the other pieces - how about Spanish? El Corpus en Sevilla from Albéniz's Iberia, Book 1 is fun, colorful, brilliant and makes a satisfying conclusion to your program. And it lasts 9 - 10 minutes.

#2033186 - 02/14/13 05:24 PM Re: Major Solo Work Ideas [Re: pianoloverus]
hsheck Offline

You are 100% correct in your observation. I shall take this question to my teacher so we can find something I enjoy playing. smile Thank you!

#2033188 - 02/14/13 05:25 PM Re: Major Solo Work Ideas [Re: pianoloverus]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
you should really love the pieces you're playing

This is so important.

#2033189 - 02/14/13 05:26 PM Re: Major Solo Work Ideas [Re: bennevis]
hsheck Offline

Ah yes! Great pieces. I will discuss this with my teacher. Thank you!

#2033245 - 02/14/13 07:08 PM Re: Major Solo Work Ideas [Re: hsheck]
BDB Online   content

Loc: Oakland
I suspect that a major work could be multiple movements. I suggest you look into something newer than your other pieces.

Just remember, as long as you keep the guy in the black hood with the big axe happy, you will come out okay!

#2033247 - 02/14/13 07:12 PM Re: Major Solo Work Ideas [Re: hsheck]
ABC Vermonter Offline

I am not quite sure that your slow Chopin and fast Chopin are substantial enough for Curtis.

#2033254 - 02/14/13 07:30 PM Re: Major Solo Work Ideas [Re: bennevis]
asthecrowflies Offline

Loc: London, Cambridge, San Francis...
Originally Posted By: bennevis
I suggest something in a completely different style to the other pieces - how about Spanish? El Corpus en Sevilla from Albéniz's Iberia, Book 1 is fun, colorful, brilliant and makes a satisfying conclusion to your program. And it lasts 9 - 10 minutes.

+1. it's fun and a beast.

Some other ideas
- Ravel - Sonatine
- Bach-Busoni - Chaconne
- Schubert - Bb Impromptu (op 142 #3)
- Gershwin - Rhapsody in Blue
- Alban Berg's Sonata

#2033255 - 02/14/13 07:30 PM Re: Major Solo Work Ideas [Re: hsheck]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Estampes - 2 & 3

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2033261 - 02/14/13 07:37 PM Re: Major Solo Work Ideas [Re: BDB]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BDB
I suspect that a major work could be multiple movements. I suggest you look into something newer than your other pieces.

I was going to suggest Carl Vine's Piano Sonata No.1 (lasting around 15 minutes), but not many pianists are comfortable in that idiom, though it is hardly avant-garde. Or Barber's Piano Sonata......

#2033262 - 02/14/13 07:41 PM Re: Major Solo Work Ideas [Re: pianoloverus]
asthecrowflies Offline

Loc: London, Cambridge, San Francis...
As far as what piece would be best for you, aren't you and your teacher far more familiar with your playing, your strengths and weaknesses, your personal likes and dislikes, etc. then PW members?(Actually all 50,000 members put together)If you don't want to play the Chopin Fantasy, I'd ask your teacher for other suggestions or ask him which of the compositions you're familiar with would be good choices.

For starters you should really love the pieces you're playing and you would know that better than anyone else.

It's called crowd-sourcing. the kid is just looking for ideas, no need to lecture him/her just because s/he asked our opinions! smile

Edited by asthecrowflies (02/14/13 07:43 PM)

#2033272 - 02/14/13 07:52 PM Re: Major Solo Work Ideas [Re: asthecrowflies]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: asthecrowflies
[...]
It's called crowd-sourcing. the kid is just looking for ideas, no need to lecture him/her just because s/he asked our opinions! smile

Given the context and the nature of the question, it seems pretty strange to me to seek advice on pieces best for him/her ("The problem I am having is choosing the best piece for ME.")from complete strangers on an internet forum who know nothing about his skills, abilities and interests.

So, yes, some people might well think that he does need to do some thinking for himself and that his questions should be directed at people who know something about him as a musician.

#2033280 - 02/14/13 08:00 PM Re: Major Solo Work Ideas [Re: hsheck]
DanS Offline
500 Post Club Member

I think something 20th century (or 21st) would be a good idea....Estampes, Images, Miriors, Sonatas by Scribin, Prokofiev, Berg, Griffies etc would all be acceptable choices...maybe Rzewski 4 Pieces (a favorite of mine)?

#2033283 - 02/14/13 08:07 PM Re: Major Solo Work Ideas [Re: asthecrowflies]

Originally Posted By: asthecrowflies

Except the OP agreed with the post you quoted and seems to have realized the approach I suggested was the appropriate way to proceed.

If he's familiar with a reasonable amount of the piano literature, he and his teacher are, I think, markedly better sources of possible pieces than posters who know little or nothing about him or his playing. If he is reasonably familiar with the piano literature he already knows the suggestions given.

Especially when people suggest a single piece, even if they knew the poster very well which they of course do not, my first thought is ...of all the hundreds of possible pieces why did you choose that one?

Edited by pianoloverus (02/14/13 08:10 PM)

#2033284 - 02/14/13 08:15 PM Re: Major Solo Work Ideas [Re: hsheck]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
If we're talking about Curtis-level repertoire, then you'll need something like:

2nd Rachmaninoff Sonata
Liszt Vallee d'Obermann, Dante Sonata, Don Juan
Prokofiev 6th sonata
Stravinsky Petrushka
Barber Sonata

I know of someone who auditioned for and was accepted to Curtis last year. In middle school and high school, she won and placed in several regional and national competitions, had given several solo recitals and concerto performances, was featured in a "From the Top" broadcast on NPR, and had participated in at least two important festivals (PianoTexas and IIYM.) I don't know if she auditioned at Curtis with these works, but her repertoire in the past few years included Beethoven Op. 22 and Op. 57, Rachmaninoff Corelli Variations, Chopin Rondo in Eb Op. 16, Kapustin Variations Op. 41, etc...

Keep in mind that Curtis (and most other top-tier schools) don't just look at the audition. They look at your performance experience as well, as evidenced by participation in festivals and competitions over the course of several years.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#2033286 - 02/14/13 08:18 PM Re: Major Solo Work Ideas [Re: hsheck]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Oh! The Berg sonata is a great idea, why didn't I think of that? lol

#2033297 - 02/14/13 08:42 PM Re: Major Solo Work Ideas [Re: hsheck]
BDB Online   content

Loc: Oakland
Read what Kreisler says, and think about whether a top-notch school is for you. The reputation that makes people think that a school is top-notch is often on the basis of the reputation of the instructors as performers, as well as the reputation of the alumni. A great performer may not be a great instructor, nor a great match for you. The school's ability to cherry-pick their students means that many of the alumni did not need especially great instruction. It is all too easy to turn out great alumni when you can pick great students. It is much more difficult to take good students and make them great.

I recently tuned for a Juilliard graduate in piano who felt she got very little from her time there. I had talked to her because she had a top-notch piano that sounded terrible in her room, and I had hoped that she would have had at least a little background in what can be done to make a piano sound better. But she said all they wanted her to do there was learn repertoire. It was not enough in either of our opinions.

#2033437 - 02/14/13 11:07 PM Re: Major Solo Work Ideas [Re: hsheck]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
How about a couple of [i]devilishly]\i] difficult works, and known? Wondering if it would be interesting to throw something like that to the list (and provide scores for the jury)... ? Each one lasts more than 10 minutes so you're fine there, and each one is definitely difficult, so you're covered there as well!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk-FjRbyhd8

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grGh-U26Db4

#2033574 - 02/15/13 08:04 AM Re: Major Solo Work Ideas [Re: Kreisler]
ABC Vermonter Offline

Originally Posted By: Kreisler
If we're talking about Curtis-level repertoire, then you'll need something like:

2nd Rachmaninoff Sonata
Liszt Vallee d'Obermann, Dante Sonata, Don Juan
Prokofiev 6th sonata
Stravinsky Petrushka
Barber Sonata

I know of someone who auditioned for and was accepted to Curtis last year. In middle school and high school, she won and placed in several regional and national competitions, had given several solo recitals and concerto performances, was featured in a "From the Top" broadcast on NPR, and had participated in at least two important festivals (PianoTexas and IIYM.) I don't know if she auditioned at Curtis with these works, but her repertoire in the past few years included Beethoven Op. 22 and Op. 57, Rachmaninoff Corelli Variations, Chopin Rondo in Eb Op. 16, Kapustin Variations Op. 41, etc...

Keep in mind that Curtis (and most other top-tier schools) don't just look at the audition. They look at your performance experience as well, as evidenced by participation in festivals and competitions over the course of several years.

I bet you were talking about Chelsea Wang. Heard her once in a NYC competition; she is very good.

At Curtis level, I bet many use something like Barcarolle for their slow Chopin. The fast Chopin ones are also rather long and, of course, difficult.

#2033700 - 02/15/13 12:30 PM Re: Major Solo Work Ideas [Re: hsheck]
trigalg693 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Eh, I think op.10 no.4 is adequate for "fast Chopin" unless they were looking for something longer. Aside from the most infamous 4 etudes that one is probably the hardest?

How about Scriabin 5? It's VERY hard and might even give you some breathing room because even people who know that piece well probably can't pick out any mistakes.

Edited by trigalg693 (02/15/13 12:31 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!

Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Request For The Pursuit Of Knowledge
by Louis Podesta
11/28/14 07:09 PM
Kawai K500 or Seiler ED126
by Mizar
11/28/14 07:03 PM
3 sensors per key vs 4?
by AnimistFvR
11/28/14 06:58 PM
My prediction, Your thought
by Banzai_Ed
11/28/14 05:29 PM
Replace side panels on MP7?
by acoxcae
11/28/14 05:27 PM
Forum Stats
77081 Members
42 Forums
159429 Topics
2341951 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission