2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 11 invisible), 1,845 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
OP Offline
J
All,

Just want to get your opinions on Soundboard replacement, do it or not (as oppose to shimming - bleaching the existing)? Mine has 3 open cracks, one in the center along the grain, from one side to the other and it's split open where you can see the floor, another small one in the treble section and one final one in between the two. I got underneath the piano and it looks like the board still has crown as I'm able to fit my finger under the board in the middle of the piano but not on the sides, I can see the separation is greater in the middle so, for my restoration job, should I have the board replaced or shimmed? What are the results, change in tone? All over the internet I get both extremes so it's hard to form an opinion. Oh and this is for my Bosie 290 1967. LMK, thanks.

Last edited by Jorge Andrade; 02/14/13 03:54 PM.
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
You need to have your piano evaluated by a rebuilder, in person. Replacing the sound board would be much more expensive, so if an appropriate repair can be made without replacement, that would probably be ideal. However, some would make the argument that a Bosie 290 is valuable enough of an instrument to warrant automatic replacement.

J
OP Offline
J
SORRY I did not express myself correctly, I'm trying to weigh in all my options as far as SHIMMING vs REPLACING the soundboard. Not whether I'm going to replace it or not, the issues will be taken care of one way or another but I'm really concerned with whether just shimming is good enough or if I change the board will the tone change dramatically, is it true that in Europe you're not legally allowed to put the manufacture's name on the piano if you replace the soundboard? Thanks.

J
OP Offline
J
True, but I should be able to form an educated opinion prior to shipping the piano to another state only to find out I'll need U$10k in addition to current quote so hence I'm trying to find out more info about it. I'll be posting pictures soon so everyone has a better idea.

Last edited by Jorge Andrade; 02/14/13 04:11 PM.
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Jorge Andrade
I'm really concerned with whether just shimming is good enough

It may or may not be. We'd need to see it and hear it.

or if I change the board will the tone change dramatically

It depends.

is it true that in Europe you're not legally allowed to put the manufacture's name on the piano if you replace the soundboard? Thanks.

No, people put non OEM parts in pianos all the time, same as with cars.... if I put a non OEM part on my Saab, it's still a Saab. That said, sound boards are replaced much less often in Europe.

J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by beethoven986
It may or may not be. We'd need to see it and hear it.

Originally Posted by beethoven986
It depends.

Can you offer some examples or scenarios, possibly instances that you ran into, I appreciate your input but I'm not sure that it helps me clarify my question, maybe after I post some pictures you'll be able to have a better idea.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Jorge, you will get more valuable input from this list if you give more of a context.
Where are you located? (I suspect Europe?)
How long have you had the piano?
When did the cracks appear?

On such an instrument such as a 290, you want to make sure that if the soundboard is replaced, it is done by someone with good experience replacing boards, preferably on Bösendorfers. If no such workshop is available (which could easily be the case depending on where you are located) then it is a moot question of replacement vs shimming. You may want to return it to Bösendorfer if you choose to have the board replaced.

Many technicians feel that shimming is simply an aesthetic course of action, as the damage has been done to the whole soundboard, and the cracks are evidence of this. I have never seen a situation where shimming clearly resulted in an improvement of tone. Many times, a new crack appears right next to the shim after a few years.

JG
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Jurgen,

He has written about this before. The piano is in Arizona.

Semipro Tech
J
OP Offline
J
I'm actually located in Nevada but might as well call it Arizona as the weather condition is very similar.

My first inquiry was on recommendation for restorers, this post is specific on replacing soundboard vs shimming, yes I'm going to have a professional restorer work on my piano but as an educated adult, I feel that I'll be able to make a better decision if I understand the process and the pros and cons better, I've spoken with numerous professionals across the country and each one seems to have the one area they value or concentrate the most, in certain instances they differ greatly so I'm left in the middle trying to determine what the best outcome would be, in the end, I'm the one investing anywhere from U$25k to U$35k for the job so I want to make sure I have all the proper information at hand.

J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Supply
Jorge, you will get more valuable input from this list if you give more of a context.
Where are you located? (I suspect Europe?)
How long have you had the piano?
When did the cracks appear?

I live in Las Vegas - NV, the piano was located in Atlanta - GA. It went from a 80% RH to a 20% RH, I've had it since May of 2012. When the piano came to me, the largest crack was only a ridge, or stress mark on the board (probably caused by the high RH level in GA), it split open during the summer and then the other 2 appeared. Since I posted and you guys alerted me that I needed a better RH, I went out and bought a room humidifier that I have set at 40% (that particular room's natural RH is 25%), my end goal is around 50% but I'm raising the humidity slowly. I've taken the fallboard and music desk out and I keep the piano lid open for now so it can 'soak up' the humidity. Thanks.

D
D
Hi Jorge,
If it were my instrument and I knew the recent history (which I do) I would start with some cost effective measures. You said that your installing a full room humidifier. I would let the room acclimate to the higher humidity and, over 4 to 6 months, measure soundboard responses by measuring any effect on the crown, soundboard crack size, increased (or not) sustain etc. If findings are positive but minimal I would install the large Dampp Chaser system to enhance the local improvements. If no improvements are measured with humidity introduction than I would shim the soundboard. I have had mild but positive results improving crown in trouble areas by slightly wedging the s-board from the bottom which opens the crack slightly more, make the shim repair, let the glue dry and cure (2 days), remove the wedges and inspect for crown improvement. The Bosey has a thick panel so I'm not sure if results will be dramatic but worth a try. I normally would restring doing this procedure but moving the existing music wire out of the way is a budget option. At least with these methods 10's of thousands of dollars are kept in the bank until repair scenarios reveal their worth.

David Chadwick RPT
Newark, Ohio
1931 Mason Hamlin AA
B
BDB Offline
B
David gives good advice. There are tons of inexpensive things that you can try that might make more difference than an expensive repair, and none of them would prevent you from doing the expensive repair if they do not work out.

Semipro Tech
M
M
Steinway did an experiment where they created gaps in a soundboard and found that it did not affect the sound. Shimming the soundboard is therefore a cosmetic measure and has no effect on the performance of the piano.
David says he can slightly improve the crown, but your piano already has crown. I wouldn't worry about it until it's time to restring. In which case, shimming is not that big a deal. Just be sure to dry the board out thoroughly before shimming.

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
I believe you are unhappy with how the tone has changed since the move to NV-if I remember your earlier post correctly.

Do not worry abou rapidly increasing the humidity to the 45% level. The piano will react in three days.

Has the tone improved with the increase in humidity?

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
Should have gotten a digital. No tuning or maintenance or repairs needed. I know I never need to buy an acoustic. digitals just keep on getting better and better.

And don't they make pianos with carbon fiber soundboards nowadays?

Casio Privia PX-150

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
If you have the soundboard replaced by anyone other than the factory, you will probably have a very nice, very large piano but you won't really have a Bosendorfer any more. If having a true Bosendorfer is important to you, I would explore every possibility to keep the current board (and bridges). If that is not reasonable, then consider replacement by the factory. Boy, that will be unbelievably expensive but you will still have a true Bosendorfer.

Originally Posted by BoseEric
If you have the soundboard replaced by anyone other than the factory, you will probably have a very nice, very large piano but you won't really have a Bosendorfer any more. If having a true Bosendorfer is important to you, I would explore every possibility to keep the current board (and bridges). If that is not reasonable, then consider replacement by the factory. Boy, that will be unbelievably expensive but you will still have a true Bosendorfer.

Just imagine trying to sell the piano later, about the soundboard: do you tell the truth or lie?

Last edited by adak; 02/14/13 10:16 PM.

Casio Privia PX-150

E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by adak
Should have gotten a digital. No tuning or maintenance or repairs needed. I know I never need to buy an acoustic. digitals just keep on getting better and better.

Greetings,
A digital is not a piano.

Originally Posted by Ed Foote
Originally Posted by adak

Greetings,
A digital is not a piano.

Don't let your emotions blind you from the truth.

Did you also say the same thing about digital cameras 10 years ago?

Last edited by adak; 02/14/13 10:35 PM.

Casio Privia PX-150

D
D
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
I believe you are unhappy with how the tone has changed since the move to NV-if I remember your earlier post correctly.

Do not worry abou rapidly increasing the humidity to the 45% level. The piano will react in three days.

Has the tone improved with the increase in humidity?

I have a client that brought her Kawai console to Las Vegas from Hawaii. She went through several tech's complaining that the tone got worse with each tuner. From full and rich to weak and thin. I explained that the felt hammers are also affected by the arid environment. I did some light hammer filing, shallow voicing on the near crown and gently steamed the shoulders on the hammers. She was delighted with the results and I advised her that touch up hammer voicing might be needed yearly to maintain the tone to her liking. Perhaps Jorge's Bosey hammers would benefit from this if they haven't been over filed. Again, if it was mine and I was looking at $$$$ in repairs a refurbish of parts that would benefit from repair services and might give us pause for thought and make a better judgment when the time comes for factory repairs.

David Chadwick RPT
Newark, Ohio
1931 Mason Hamlin AA
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission