Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2030017 - 02/09/13 06:46 PM Handel--Keyboard Suite No. 15, Allemande
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
I posted a drier version of this over in the Tuner/Tech forum, and I'm posting this wetter version here for a different audience who listens from a different perspective.

Full disclosure statement: Recording Art.

So, this is the Yamaha G1 in the choir room at church. I had tuned it about a week or so, ago, but there were more than a few things with my work that I wasn't happy with, so I went back yesterday to give it another go. I am using a Sanderson Accutuner (referred to more generally as an Electronic Tuning Device) with Bill Bremmer's "Equal Beating Victorian Temperament III" settings. I am a monkey with a wrench and not afraid to use it. Still, in learning to tune, I am not too proud to use training wheels. grin

Both the tuning and the playing are works in progress. The piano needs regulating, so my touch was on the heavy-handed side of things for a piece that ought to be played lightly. The piano also needs to be voiced. It's a leetle bright, even for a Yamaha. grin Upon review, though, I thought I heard enough decent-ish stuff in my rehearsal recording to be able to splice together the better takes in order to provide some relatively distraction-free, uninterrupted listening blush. Then, after editing, I continued in my delusion, pretending to be a sound engineer, and practiced other aspects of mastering and mixing in CuBase.

To record this, I put the little Tascam DP-004 digital recorder about four feet from the tail of the piano with the piano lid fully open. The choir room is a small space, and very dry, acoustically. The sustain pedal has developed an annoying squeak, which can be plainly and incongruously heard in the dressed up version. Considering all of that, I hope you can enjoy it! Comments are welcomed, as always.

Handel--Keyboard Suite No. 15, Allemande

--Andy

Edited by Cinnamonbear (02/09/13 07:28 PM)
Edit Reason: chgd boxnet link

#2033560 - 02/15/13 07:26 AM Re: Handel--Keyboard Suite No. 15, Allemande [Re: Cinnamonbear]
woodog Offline

Loc: Bowling Green, KY
Very nice tuning. And, of course, very emotionally satisfying playing.

Thanks for sharing!

Forrest

--------------------
current studies:
Debussy: Suite Bergamasque
Beethoven Op. 78
Bach WTC 1, C# Major (#3)

#2033586 - 02/15/13 08:24 AM Re: Handel--Keyboard Suite No. 15, Allemande [Re: Cinnamonbear]
Derulux Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Seconded. After reading your comments, I thought, "Oh man, what am I getting into?" Don't sell yourself short. That was very enjoyable. smile

Sound editor and tuner, indeed! wink

#2034025 - 02/15/13 11:42 PM Re: Handel--Keyboard Suite No. 15, Allemande [Re: Cinnamonbear]
ChrisKeys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
Ah, another sensitive performance. Thanks, Andy!

#2034030 - 02/15/13 11:54 PM Re: Handel--Keyboard Suite No. 15, Allemande [Re: ChrisKeys]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Wonderful playing !!

Nicest G1 I've ever heard !!

#2034283 - 02/16/13 02:19 PM Re: Handel--Keyboard Suite No. 15, Allemande [Re: Cinnamonbear]
Damon Online   happy
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Originally Posted By: Cinnamonbear
Then, after editing, I continued in my delusion, pretending to be a sound engineer, and practiced other aspects of mastering and mixing in CuBase.

Nice job Andy. Is all the processing done with CuBase, reverb and whatever else?

#2034293 - 02/16/13 02:41 PM Re: Handel--Keyboard Suite No. 15, Allemande [Re: Cinnamonbear]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Thanks for sharing! And I've always been interested in your knowledge and experience in tuning pianos and various ways to tune, also. I've become more sensitive to tuning since coming to college, since in choir, we sing with Pythagorean tuning, which is different from how a piano is tuned.

#2034630 - 02/17/13 08:16 AM Re: Handel--Keyboard Suite No. 15, Allemande [Re: carey]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Thank you, friends, for the encouragements! I've been on a Handel kick over the last year, and I am about ready to record Keyboard Suite No. 13 (finally figured our the Sarabande!) I am also getting ready to record "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes," but that's another story. smile

Originally Posted By: carey
[...] Nicest G1 I've ever heard !!

It's the temperament!, (...with the right stretch). grin Seriously, there is a certain kind of energy from this EBVT III design. There are other wohl temperaments to try, too, but this one is a definite winner.

Originally Posted By: Damon
[...] Is all the processing done with CuBase, reverb and whatever else?

Yup, Damon. I used CuBase for all the splicing and processing on this one. After I got my original track edited, I copied it to do the two-track method--I put reverb and some stereo spread in one track, and kept the other track un-touched. Then, I adjusted the volume on each track until I liked the mix. Then, in the output mixer, I did some light EQ'ing where there were some things that were poking out in an irritating way, and also used some light compression to take off a few more rough edges and put it all under the spotlight. Sometimes I also use a program called DC8 (or Diamond Cut 8) which is a noise-reduction program. I didn't seem to need it for this one.

If you're interested, here's the un-adorned "plain" version:

https://www.box.com/s/dc01d35pg1m77aog81ez

In it, you can hear how small the room is, but you can also hear some other very nice things about the temperament and the tuning that are lost in the processed version. Recording Art (and piano tuning) is all about making the best set of compromises, I think. frown

Originally Posted By: Orange Soda King
[...] I've always been interested in your knowledge and experience in tuning pianos and various ways to tune, also. I've become more sensitive to tuning since coming to college, [...]

Then, OSK, you should take a gander at some of the threads in the Tuner/Tech forum. That's how I discovered it. Serendipity! Do a search on "Historical Temperaments" or "Unequal Temperaments" and see what you find. Here is one of my faves:

"Some sweet videos: an older piano tuned to an Unequal Temperament"

...where you hear the guy chime in who is responsible for getting this done:

My other favorite thread is, of course, this one:

"My Piano in EBVT III"

(See why my wife says, "Oh, Jeeze! Don't encourage him!" blush But please, encourage me! grin (It doesn't take much... laugh ))

--Andy

#2034669 - 02/17/13 09:56 AM Re: Handel--Keyboard Suite No. 15, Allemande [Re: Cinnamonbear]
woodog Offline

Loc: Bowling Green, KY
An interesting aside... the publisher (and tuner) Latribe of that YouTube video has quite a number of recordings of his unequal temperament on the very old piano at Hammerwood park. Search for them!

There is a recording of Debussy's Claire de Lune (D flat, a very remote key for unequal temperament) in particular that I like to play for folks, and then play Angela Hewitt's rendition of the same piece (also a stunning recording soundwise - and any other 'wise' you can think of, but on a modern Steinway D in equal temperament).

Without exception, all listeners prefer the unequal temperament when volume is adjusted to the same levels.

I do this comparison on a good stereo, btw, as computer speakers just don't cut it when reproducing piano.

sorry for the thread hi-jack Andy, but like you, I find unequal temperaments much much MUCH to my liking, and like you OSK... I have been involved in choral singing all my life, and the solo voice always goes for the pure thirds and fifths.. and when that is achieved.. MAGIC!!

Forrest

--------------------
current studies:
Debussy: Suite Bergamasque
Beethoven Op. 78
Bach WTC 1, C# Major (#3)

#2034712 - 02/17/13 11:32 AM Re: Handel--Keyboard Suite No. 15, Allemande [Re: woodog]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I do not consider that a hi-jack, Forrest. On the contrary! It's an excellent contribution!!! Thanks for those links!!!

--Andy

Moderator:  Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
139 registered (ABC Vermonter, accordeur, a-z0-9, 43 invisible), 1645 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75495 Members
42 Forums
156109 Topics
2292470 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Unusual Big Key Depth Yamaha Motif Xs7
by Ivan Jochner
5 minutes 46 seconds ago
Yamaha P255
by pianist.ame
Today at 09:12 PM
Just Tried Brand New Mason and Hamlins....
by Paul678
Today at 09:10 PM
Broken Butt Plate - Replacement part?
by musicNow
Today at 08:24 PM
Liszt's letters to Jessie Laussot
by Michael Sayers
Today at 07:59 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission