Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 13 of 20 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 19 20 >
Topic Options
#2032104 - 02/12/13 08:36 PM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
timmyab Offline

Loc: Bristol, UK
I've recorded a couple of them.One's o.k ish the other one's not so good.
I've only got a rubbish video camera that records for a maximum of three minutes so I kind of feel the tension when I'm recording.It feels more like a live performance than I'm used to.I set the recording equipment running and then I have to perform.I know I can have another go but I'm always conscious it's there especially towards the end when the tension gets worse and the only thing going through my head is 'Don't make a mistake Tim'.Having to perform under a tiny bit of pressure is probably a good thing to learn though.
My third piece is nearly in memory, probably about a month off being recordable.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2032158 - 02/12/13 10:17 PM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
Greener Online   content

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

Loc: Toronto
All systems go. I was a bit concerned about getting my audio files into a video streaming format. I had a go at this today with Op 102 no 6. As it turns out, movie maker was already loaded on my operating system and it wasn't so much to figure out. I hope we're not being scored for video creativeness though, ... it's quite lame. But otherwise I'm happy it's working and ready to be ready at any time.

#2032205 - 02/13/13 12:32 AM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
Originally Posted By: wayne33yrs
How far are other participants? It would be good to hear wink

I still have a ways to go, but I should have more time to spend on it now that SuperBowl and Mardi Gras are done. I can get through it, but not very fast, and definitely not evenly. I'm going to start seriously working on it again after I get my recital piece recorded this week (I hope). But it'll happen. Hopefully I'll get it to Presto. If not, I will settle for something close smile

#2032259 - 02/13/13 03:59 AM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
I recorded two versions, I have two differing piano sounds on my little Digital. When I did `em, thought they were rubbish. But on relistening, I reckon it`s as good as I`ll ever get . . .So I`ll have to think about the vid! Can I mime to that ha ha (Joe King)

""

#2032267 - 02/13/13 04:19 AM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
dire tonic Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
67-2 is sort-of finished but for expression - still experimenting. Fascinating listening to and watching the pros play. There’s a staggering variety of interpretation most of which is new to me and needs to be unravelled. A teacher would help here. S/he’d say “do this” or “do that” . OTOH without a teacher one is forced to listen critically so I see that as a beneficial trade-off. I’m trying to resist being plagiaristic - there are temptations although a lot of it is out of reach technically.

Still quite a bit more to do on 38-1. On the face of it it’s a less difficult piece but the chord voicings while simple are erratic so this is making heavier work for memorising and particularly fingering.

#2032281 - 02/13/13 05:41 AM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I think we`ve all been challenged here in some way or another. For my own part, I`m having to read as I play; I don`t think I`d be able to manage without the music as a prompt. . . that`s a tad unusual for me

""

#2032310 - 02/13/13 07:39 AM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
Progress report: not anywhere close to recording. I put it up for a week and started again yesterday. The tricky passage is coming along nicely with the break from it (sometimes that works...don't know why). I'll be focusing on the flow of the whole piece. Should be presentable by end of March for sure.

Love to learn

#2032327 - 02/13/13 08:20 AM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: Valencia]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sheffield UK
Originally Posted By: Valencia
My pieces are far from recordable. frown Guess I should have only taken on one piece not two. My hope is to be able to play as opposed to stumble through each. (So, not expecting to play them 'well' as that would be aiming too high given the time-line). One problem will be the red dot. it is one thing for me to play through without recording, but with the red dot, I will have to know the piece even better just to be able to play. I'm a bit concerned that I won't be able to pull it off.

Just keep at them Valencia, you will get there. smile As for the red dot, Have you tried recording a session, so like play a few of your favourite pieces, then try the one your wanting to record, I find that helps wink

#2032330 - 02/13/13 08:24 AM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

It sounds like we are all having some difficulties/tricky bits, in one way or another, I see it that overcomming these is a great acheivement and a reward in itself for our efforts, keep up the good work folks smile And no need to worry over time, we will be ready when we are all ready, we're in this together wink

Really looking forward this going live, as I'm sure many here on PW are, smile

#2032334 - 02/13/13 08:29 AM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Richard, we have the highest expectations from your performance......... no pressure wink

#2032335 - 02/13/13 08:31 AM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
No worries, mate. I'm relying on your "when we're all ready" line to keep me going till December! smile

#2032383 - 02/13/13 10:06 AM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
Now I’ve divided my piece into four sections, and I practice each one separately. I think I’m getting better, but I’m not able to record it yet. Nevertheless I’d like to start recording in early March.

My website

#2032404 - 02/13/13 10:46 AM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
I have the notes and the dynamics down. I'm unsure about tempo, but I don't think it sounds bad at my current slow-ish tempo. My big challenge is voicing the melody so it sings out especially above the rest of the RH chords (playing the LH softer is going OK, but it's hard for me to have varied dynamics between the fingers of one hand). I haven't been practicing this for a while, feeling like I had reached a plateau. Time to bring it out again, and start recording, to get an honest listen to how I'm doing with the melody.

#2032531 - 02/13/13 03:20 PM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
Generally I don't think we should worry too much about tempo. I have listened to quite a few performances over the years, and I'm not always impressed the most by the virtuouses being able to play fastest. Mendelssohn's pieces (like pieces by Chopin and other composers) contain lots of fine details that become barely audible when played too fast. This is very obvious in music by e.g. Mozart and Haydn where phrasing is very important. I have heard lots of Haydn-sonatas played at high speed. I'm impressed by the abilities of the performers, but still disappointed because all the delicate detail is gone. This is an issue in the SWWs too. I think all of us should try to develop our strongest sides and practice our pieces accordingly. High speed isn't necessarily what we all should aim for. Rather try to make the pieces sound nice.

#2032619 - 02/13/13 06:19 PM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: Ganddalf]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Amen to that, 100%. It`s about the music, not the player.

""

#2034314 - 02/16/13 03:39 PM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

My last attempt to getting the remaining peices covered wink

Book 1, op. 19b (1829–1830)
No. 1 Andante con moto in E major - Dipsy
No. 2 Andante espressivo in A minor - ragnhildK
No. 3 Molto allegro e vivace in A major - Evelyn S
No. 4 Moderato in A major - Devrie
No. 5 Poco agitato in F-sharp minor - Ganddalf
No. 6 Andante sostenuto in G minor - Recaredo

Book 2, op. 30 (1833–1834)
No. 1 Andante espressivo in E-flat major - Valencia
No. 2 Allegro di molto in B-flat minor - Numerian
No. 3 Adagio non troppo in E major - PianoStudent88
No. 4 Agitato e con fuoco in B minor -DanS
No. 5 Andante grazioso in D major - Beric
No. 6 Allegretto tranquillo in F-sharp minor - LimeFriday

Book 3, op. 38 (1836–1837)
No. 1 Con moto in E-flat major - dire tonic
No. 2 Allegro non troppo in C minor - ROSSY
No. 3 Presto e molto vivace in E major - Morodiene
No. 4 Andante in A major - peterws
No. 5 Agitato in A minor - Dipsy
No. 6 Andante con moto in A-flat major - Sam S

Book 4, op. 53 (1839–1841)
No. 1 Andante con moto in A-flat major - Morodiene
No. 2 Allegro non troppo in E-flat major - Ganddalf
No. 3 Presto agitato in G minor - musicusblau
No. 4 Adagio in F major - WiseBuff
No. 5 Allegro con fuoco in A minor - Sam S
No. 6 Molto Allegro vivace in A major -DanS

Book 5, op. 62 (1842–1844)
No. 1 Andante espressivo in G major - ZRTF90
No. 2 Allegro con fuoco in B-flat major - Oleg Yakerevich
No. 3 Andante maestoso in E minor - ZRTF90
No. 4 Allegro con anima in G major - Oleg Yakerevich
No. 5 Andante con moto in A minor - LimeFriday
No. 6 Allegretto grazioso in A major - Numerian

Book 6, op. 67 (1843–1845)
No. 1 Andante in E-flat major - timmyab
No. 2 Allegro leggiero in F-sharp minor - dire tonic
No. 3 Andante tranquillo in B-flat major - timmyab
No. 4 Presto in C major - Carey
No. 5 Moderato in B minor - Pavel.K
No. 6 Allegro non troppo in E major - Numerian

Book 7, op. 85 (1834–1845)
No. 1 Andante espressivo in F major - Valencia
No. 2 Allegro agitato in A minor - Wayne33yrs
No. 3 Presto in E-flat major - Morodiene
No. 4 Andante sostenuto in D major - Rupak Bhattacharya
No. 5 Allegretto in A major - Ganddalf
No. 6 Allegretto con moto in B-flat major - Numerian

Book 8, op. 102 (1842–1845)
No. 1 Andante un poco agitato in E minor - Greener
No. 2 Adagio in D major - FarmGirl
No. 3 Presto in C major - AimeeO
No. 4 Un poco agitato, ma andante in G minor - LadyChen
No. 5 Allegro vivace in A major - LadyChen
No. 6 Andante in C major - Greener

Edited by wayne33yrs (02/23/13 01:56 PM)

#2034594 - 02/17/13 05:09 AM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: Ganddalf]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Ganddalf
Generally I don't think we should worry too much about tempo...I think all of us should try to develop our strongest sides and practice our pieces accordingly. High speed isn't necessarily what we all should aim for. Rather try to make the pieces sound nice.

A voice of musical reason. Thank you Ganddalf...that frees us all to make the best music we can, worrying less about speed and more about expression. Our own enjoyment of practicing and the pleasure of the listeners we hope to share with should be enhanced with this vision of our SWW. Sometimes the quest for faster tempo frustrates me and makes the piece something I want to just lay aside.

Love to learn

#2034600 - 02/17/13 05:44 AM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Notice the edit folks, only 3 remaining wink

#2034753 - 02/17/13 12:55 PM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

There are some couraueous people out there. And many observers . . . best o` luck guys! Your fingers will be going where they have never gone before . . . or as fast heh heh

""

#2034782 - 02/17/13 01:52 PM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BruceD
Is the "Mendelssohn themed recital" limited to pieces from the "Songs Without Words"?

Those are all the choices that are listed, so far.

Regards,

what's the consensus on this?

#2036836 - 02/21/13 09:16 AM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: BruceD
Is the "Mendelssohn themed recital" limited to pieces from the "Songs Without Words"?

Those are all the choices that are listed, so far.

Regards,

what's the consensus on this?

It looks like all the SWW are covered, so why not expand it a bit to his other works?
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2037001 - 02/21/13 02:31 PM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
Dipsy Offline

I think it would be a shame if, despite everyone's efforts to deliver a complete set of 'songs without words' for the recital, this did not happen. And I can't help feeling that if we turned our attention to pieces outside the series this might distract us and make it less likely that we'd complete the series -though I've nothing against doing pieces outside the series per se.

And now for some practice .....soonish.

#2037240 - 02/21/13 10:02 PM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
Valencia Offline

My pieces are far from recordable. frown Guess I should have only taken on one piece not two. My hope is to be able to play as opposed to stumble through each. (So, not expecting to play them 'well' as that would be aiming too high given the time-line). One problem will be the red dot. it is one thing for me to play through without recording, but with the red dot, I will have to know the piece even better just to be able to play. I'm a bit concerned that I won't be able to pull it off.

Just keep at them Valencia, you will get there. smile As for the red dot, Have you tried recording a session, so like play a few of your favourite pieces, then try the one your wanting to record, I find that helps wink

Thanks wayne. smile Maybe I'll try some recording soon even if the pieces aren't put together yet. just to try to get used to it. i hope those who play well in this recital will be forgiving of those of us who just get through our pieces.

#2037371 - 02/22/13 07:54 AM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: Valencia]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL

Thanks wayne. smile Maybe I'll try some recording soon even if the pieces aren't put together yet. just to try to get used to it. i hope those who play well in this recital will be forgiving of those of us who just get through our pieces.

Recording as you go is helpful for getting used to doing it, but it also can be good to help evaluate your playing and make adjustments. You may be doing things that you might not even realize until you hear yourself. Just be forgiving and even in the recording process don't be afraid to stop and fix something. Even the pros piece together an entire piece measure by measure, taken the best take out of 8 or so. I don't recommend this, of course, but knowing that somehow makes it feel OK if you can't play through the entire piece without a mistake.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2037397 - 02/22/13 08:46 AM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Recording isn't so bad..it's listening to the recording that is so hard. frown Self critique is sure tough on the confidence. BUT a good suggestion to record over and over as we develop a piece to make it more objective.

Love to learn

#2037525 - 02/22/13 01:44 PM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: Morodiene]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Don`tcha just LOVE recording? You set off, going ok so far . .. half way through, yer hopes rise . . .three quarters through . . . hey, I`m gonna make it - concentration goes, brain crashes . . .$*#^£"@'#?!!!!!

""

#2037538 - 02/22/13 02:17 PM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: peterws]
Pavel.K Offline

Loc: Czech Republic
Originally Posted By: peterws
Don`tcha just LOVE recording? You set off, going ok so far . .. half way through, yer hopes rise . . .three quarters through . . . hey, I`m gonna make it - concentration goes, brain crashes . . .$*#^£"@'#?!!!!!

Exactly!!! laugh

Btw. Wayne, I think you should be sharp on us soon and declare offical date for the recital. Without deadline I am not able to take it serious. I am still not able to "play" (push correct keys in correct order) the whole piece so be sharp only lightly and give some fair date, please smile In the middle between ABF recitals?

#2037740 - 02/22/13 09:47 PM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: Pavel.K]
Greener Online   content

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

Loc: Toronto
Originally Posted By: Pavel.K

Btw. Wayne, I think you should be sharp on us soon and declare offical date for the recital. Without deadline I am not able to take it serious.

I'm of a similar feeling and also getting more excited/anxious now with the February recital post posted.

Of course, happy to await and follow your lead, Wayne. But, a date to target would be terrific. Whenever it is, I'll be working on my piece to the deadline, be it in March or October.

Just a suggestion but ... how about something like a two week posting window (March 15-31) and recital opens April fools day smile .
Originally Posted By: Pavel.K

I am still not able to "play" (push correct keys in correct order) the whole piece ...

Reminds me of this quote, Pavel ...

There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.
― Johann Sebastian Bach

#2037835 - 02/23/13 06:47 AM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
Dipsy Offline

I'll do op38 no 5 - though I may not be able to get it up to full speed!

#2037836 - 02/23/13 07:00 AM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Morning all, I was thinking Sunday April 21st. Is that ok with everyone? smile

Page 13 of 20 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 19 20 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
151 registered (ajames, Abby Pianoman, Alex-SapRenovation, AndresD, 44 invisible), 1573 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75509 Members
42 Forums
156150 Topics
2293147 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Embedded ads?
by Peyton
21 minutes 24 seconds ago
Who's inspiring you right now?
by Arizona Sage
56 minutes 39 seconds ago
Best way to dispose of an old piano?
by fizikisto
Today at 08:33 AM
Mendelssohn on meaning in music
by phantomFive
Today at 04:08 AM
Youtube! :)
by PianoPlayer98
Today at 02:46 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission